\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

I like the fjord blue interior
34000453-B70C-4FA6-8010-058203CDD277.jpeg

The issue is this is an (understandable) automotive enthusiasts POV which is distinctly different then the mainstream car buyers viewpoint. Tesla has a lead in UI/UX and battery efficiency along with overall weight (again efficiency) as most automakers are effectively using modified ICE platforms as starting points for EVs.

From a balance sheet perspective, Tesla has far more money to spend on development and as you noted-may have not spent that extra $500 on interior parts, vs $1500 on electronics.

But the critical question in the ‘once the OEMs show up’ thesis is ‘Does the mainstream buyer even care?’

Tesla now has a 10 year (two product cycle) lead in the EV space. That’s HUGE historically -it’s very difficult to displace ‘EV=Tesla’ in the mindset of mainstream auto buyers.

Just as Honda/Toyota pretty much dominated the midsized sedan sector after domestic OEMs fell asleep at the wheel-and after they recovered and introduced some fine products-it was an uphill battle.

Same with the BMW 3 series sector (A4 just got its footing sales wise after three generations-others such as Cadillac-not so much).

It’s going to be intriguing to watch-but if Tesla has changed the conversation-much as Apple did with its iPhone vs the rest of the mobile phone sector that was pushing ‘luxury’ coverings and presentation-then I don’t see this as a forgone conclusion.
And just like Apple, Tesla has the first mover advantage.

Apple has become stagnant with the iPhone in the smartphone space. Tesla is in danger of following that path.

The issue is this is an (understandable) automotive enthusiasts POV which is distinctly different then the mainstream car buyers viewpoint. Tesla has a lead in UI/UX and battery efficiency along with overall weight (again efficiency) as most automakers are effectively using modified ICE platforms as starting points for EVs.

From a balance sheet perspective, Tesla has far more money to spend on development and as you noted-may have not spent that extra $500 on interior parts, vs $1500 on electronics.

But the critical question in the ‘once the OEMs show up’ thesis is ‘Does the mainstream buyer even care?’

Tesla now has a 10 year (two product cycle) lead in the EV space. That’s HUGE historically -it’s very difficult to displace ‘EV=Tesla’ in the mindset of mainstream auto buyers.

Just as Honda/Toyota pretty much dominated the midsized sedan sector after domestic OEMs fell asleep at the wheel-and after they recovered and introduced some fine products-it was an uphill battle.

Same with the BMW 3 series sector (A4 just got its footing sales wise after three generations-others such as Cadillac-not so much).

It’s going to be intriguing to watch-but if Tesla has changed the conversation-much as Apple did with its iPhone vs the rest of the mobile phone sector that was pushing ‘luxury’ coverings and presentation-then I don’t see this as a forgone conclusion.
don't think they are comparable to apple

i personally think one of the main reasons tesla is so successfuly besides having a solid car is their marketing via elon musk

he has inlcuded tesla into the american dream and the affinity for people to look up to white people .

many immigrants who think white people are the best associate elon with being a genius and aspire to be just like him by buying his car

just how we associated jordan as the goat and wanna be like mike by purchasing his shoes.

thats something that the big car companies don't have

And just like Apple, Tesla has the first mover advantage.

Apple has become stagnant with the iPhone in the smartphone space. Tesla is in danger of following that path.
Not really. GM (EV-1) had a head start on electrification. Ford couldn’t wait to broom out the CEO after he wanted to prioritize UX/EV development. (C-Max-and the Mustang Mach E was sitting in design studios for 6 years prior to its release) I think the magnitude of what Tesla has achieved cannot be underestimated here.

As far as Apple-it’s always been a ‘late but within the ecosystem’ OS since Cook came into power-and I don’t blame them-it’s absolutely working.

The difference here is I don’t see the ‘lead’ (Charging, software) Tesla has in any danger. The charging network which isn’t insignificant as public chargers still aren’t as well Integrated is an advantage . My pause having sat in the new (and very laggy) UI in the Hummer EV, as well as the Google based system in my own Polestar.

I haven’t seen any loss in lead in OTA updates, software, nor-potentially crucially- the ability to source EV parts for production. There is going to be a gridlock for EV parts-not everyone is going to have things launched on time.

don't think they are comparable to apple

i personally think one of the main reasons tesla is so successfuly besides having a solid car is their marketing via elon musk

he has inlcuded tesla into the american dream and the affinity for people to look up to white people .

many immigrants who think white people are the best associate elon with being a genius and aspire to be just like him by buying his car

just how we associated jordan as the goat and wanna be like mike by purchasing his shoes.

thats something that the big car companies don't have
I’m only referencing the introduction of the iPhone specifically vs other mobile phones at the time.

I worked for a producer at the time-the level of integration was talked about conceptually, among other manufacturers, but it was more cost effective to produce higher end phones with materials and brand collaborations.

I’m more of a product person due to my profession, so I’ll defer the marketing aspect, but I can say that having witness tear downs of Teslas it’s apparent that being more vertically Intergrated from a parts sourcing perspective gives it a huge advantage in designing components vs OEMs outside of Ferrari (most cars under $100K use common suppliers and that has its advantages/disadvantages) when it comes to electronics modules and the integration/design of such.

My greater point is if Tesla has changed enough customer focus to want that over the OEMs traditional strengths (i.e. panel gap alignment-and that is somewhat overblown as media never seems to mention that the S550 Mustang has always been sloppy in that regard) then the future of the EV segment isn’t a foregone conclusion.

I’ll link a of a tear down by one
of the more respected automotive process consulting firms. This video is a breakdown and comparison of a few brands EVs. There are tear downs of everything from motors to the body to batteries and suspension components on is YT page.

Last edited:
I’m only referencing the introduction of the iPhone specifically vs other mobile phones at the time.

I worked for a producer at the time-the level of integration was talked about conceptually, among other manufacturers, but it was more cost effective to produce higher end phones with materials and brand collaborations.

I’m more of a product person due to my profession, so I’ll defer the marketing aspect, but I can say that having witness tear downs of Teslas it’s apparent that being more vertically Intergrated from a parts sourcing perspective gives it a huge advantage in designing components vs OEMs outside of Ferrari (most cars under $100K use common suppliers and that has its advantages/disadvantages) when it comes to electronics modules and the integration/design of such.

My greater point is if Tesla has changed enough customer focus to want that over the OEMs traditional strengths (i.e. panel gap alignment-and that is somewhat overblown as media never seems to mention that the S550 Mustang has always been sloppy in that regard) then the future of the EV segment isn’t a foregone conclusion.

I’ll link a of a tear down by one
of the more respected automotive process consulting firms. This video is a breakdown and comparison of a few brands EVs. There are tear downs of everything from motors to the body to batteries and suspension components on is YT page.

i agree

also tesla being the leader and u can say market holder of EV's they are held at a higher point of scrutiny when it comes to quality assurance.

Not really. GM (EV-1) had a head start on electrification. Ford couldn’t wait to broom out the CEO after he wanted to prioritize UX/EV development. (C-Max-and the Mustang Mach E was sitting in design studios for 6 years prior to its release) I think the magnitude of what Tesla has achieved cannot be underestimated here.

As far as Apple-it’s always been a ‘late but within the ecosystem’ OS since Cook came into power-and I don’t blame them-it’s absolutely working.

The difference here is I don’t see the ‘lead’ (Charging, software) Tesla has in any danger. The charging network which isn’t insignificant as public chargers still aren’t as well Integrated is an advantage . My pause having sat in the new (and very laggy) UI in the Hummer EV, as well as the Google based system in my own Polestar.

I haven’t seen any loss in lead in OTA updates, software, nor-potentially crucially- the ability to source EV parts for production. There is going to be a gridlock for EV parts-not everyone is going to have things launched on time.
Eeh the EV-1s were an afterthought. It was more a niche product for hobbyists. Even the Tesla roadster suffered the same fate.

It wasn't until the introduction of the Model S that EVs gained mass appeal and were seen as a viable alternative to ICE cars.

I'm not even thinking about what GM and Ford are doing with EVs at the present. They are nothing to worry about at the moment.

What Tesla should be worried about is the Germans. Porsche and Mercedes are making strides and closing the gap at a rapid pace. Mercedes just broke the record and completed 600+ miles on a single charge. That alone offsets the advantage of Tesla's charging infrastructure.

Eeh the EV-1s were an afterthought. It was more a niche product for hobbyists. Even the Tesla roadster suffered the same fate.

It wasn't until the introduction of the Model S that EVs gained mass appeal and were seen as a viable alternative to ICE cars.

I'm not even thinking about what GM and Ford are doing with EVs at the present. They are nothing to worry about at the moment.

What Tesla should be worried about is the Germans. Porsche and Mercedes are making strides and closing the gap at a rapid pace. Mercedes just broke the record and completed 600+ miles on a single charge. That alone offsets the advantage of Tesla's charging infrastructure.

i think where the germans shine is quality plus interiors compared to tesla

Crazy we’re even having this conversation with a player that entered the game so recently.

I think since Tesla entered we have so many EV companies being started in garages trying to ride their coattails.

TBH it isn’t the Tesla vehicle that will dethrone them. It’s their customer service.

am currently on my fourth, and am not a fanboy by any means—but I have owned so many different types of cars. Tesla really does stand out to me looking back.

The Tesla 3/Y are some of the most impressive cars on the road, despite people finding them boring. They really spoil you at the price point. I feel spoiled every time I drive mine.

Best daily driver I’ve ever had.

Crazy we’re even having this conversation with a player that entered the game so recently.

I think since Tesla entered we have so many EV companies being started in garages trying to ride their coattails.

TBH it isn’t the Tesla vehicle that will dethrone them. It’s their customer service.

am currently on my fourth, and am not a fanboy by any means—but I have owned so many different types of cars. Tesla really does stand out to me looking back.

The Tesla 3/Y are some of the most impressive cars on the road, despite people finding them boring. They really spoil you at the price point. I feel spoiled every time I drive mine.

And there’s the crux of my point!

Cadillac and Lincoln would KILL for Teslas ‘problem’ (i.e. the Germans threat).

OEMs have far more access to data than I but the conquest sales of the M3 and S have been amazing. When I was in domestic automakers design studios we had access to millions of dollars worth of data that indicated that entering the ‘premium’ automaker space was a multi generational exercise.

‘Challenger brands’ (Everyone else outside of the German two and a half) had to wait for a few generations to provide gains in those upper segments. Tesla did it in one generation and with a streamlined product line. That’s damn impressive, and while I know why it isn’t talked about in mainstream automotive media, especially domestically it’s a shame it isn’t fundamentally highlighted publicly.

I’ll just leave it at this: the feedback from millennials about automotive brands, while maybe fleeting for obvious reasons, may be very worrying for the automotive establishment.

Last edited:

Maybe I’m missing something but this was what I’ve been taught from a business POV:

Creating one or a combination of leading/desirable tech/execution/ecosystem advantage (in this case, EVs, but we are talking about the automotive sector which is very conservative so perhaps grade the execution of the above differently lol)

Scale up.

Profit.

If the Model 3/Y/S/X were in (F) or (GM) portfolios as Cadillacs/Lincolns, those two brands outlooks would be completely different. (Of course one would have to account for the reliance on suppliers, internal processes, etc in this scenario)

The automotive sector prior to TSLAs arrival was stagnated to a degree (not just my musings-conversations from engineers who were working on various projects, some of them from German companies-and Germans are very conservative in various approaches which again has its own set of advantages/disadvantages).

Of note also that those test conditions that concept participated in would be more difficult to replicate in real world, family of four taking a trip in winter/summer conditions, but an amazing accomplishment. I hope all participants continue to innovate as the consumer usually benefits.

I also hope for the continued success of all companies as I know that they do have an effect on one another from a supply chain POV.

While the concept you is interesting-a lot of the tech-the active aero, the materials used-have been in advanced studios since 2010. FCA deployed a tamer version of AA, after most OEMs deemed it too expensive in the executive sedan segment. Same with the recycled materials, as color and trim studios have been trying to get introduced into products more quickly for obvious reasons.

The question for me would be how is it going to be executed when it hits production-especially at the $50K-$60K threshold, as I believe that this is meant to forecast a C Class equivalent.

The current MB EVs while nice, aren’t really answering the question Tesla is asking. Which is fine, as it’s been noted Tesla and MB kind of play in different sandboxes.

Now (the EU version especially) VW and Tesla are more comparable, but the engineering/production/design/
execution of each are IMHO very indicative of their perspective geographical locations. And judging by the execution of Teslas older tech vs the VW groups mainstream latest, I’d say there’s work to be done.

Also of note that while the VW group has been exploring many of the efficiency theories that MB explored in the concept, they have also hedged with Audi announcing a dealer based charging network.

Last edited:

i feel like half of the startup ev companies don't even have real products and just wanna get bought up by larger companies :lol:

My next car will most likely be electric or at least a hybrid, so the manufacturers can keep them coming

You guys think Tesla will ever open up it's software? As impressive as the Plaid numbers are, I don't for a second believe that it's anywhere close to what it's capable of. It's a full size sedan with all the creature comforts you could ask for and still runs low 9s. If you were able to approach that car the way you would a drag car, things could get downright silly.

Never was a fan of the burgundy and navy interiors from the 80s and 90s

MB-560SL-pick-interior.jpg
Im gonna assume thats a 560sel (i could be weong) i could do that interior imo, change out those wood inserts to maybe a more subtle wood color or a brush aluminum would finish it off .

Yea a lot of people in here looking at the Tesla thing from their personal perspective, not understanding that perspective is far more enthusiast based than the average person.

While a lot of automakers are putting their first decent batteries out, Tesla just started producing their next gen battery (Giga Texas 4680). More range, longer-lasting, cheaper to produce, structural battery pack, faster charging, etc. The charging network speaks for itself and is going to be huge in converting ICE-owners. Teslas can charge at any EV charger…its not the same the other way around

Other automakers have all of these factories they’re now trying to produce EVs in, using the same old tech. Tesla now has 4 huge factories that were built strictly for EV production. They are now making underbody castings that eliminate ~70 parts on each car…a manufacturing dream. The back seats are bolted directly to the new structural battery pack, decreasing weight, making the car safer, etc.

The interior is definitely a change from what we’re used to…doesnt make it bad. Now I can totally understand people wanting buttons for everything and deciding that the minimalist look isnt for them. I personally love it, and it will be the way of the future for sure. It makes sense - less parts (manufacturing) and clutter. It’s not real leather - still feels great, easier to care for than leather, and plenty of automakers are using synthetic leathers. Once again, this will also be the way of the future, at least mass produced cars (environmental, sourcing).

Add to this their direct-to-consumer sales model, no haggle experience being in place is a win and they way of the future. No marketing at all. Elon is basically their marketing…pretty cheap compared to what other automakers are spending

At the end of the day, their jump start on Full Self Driving will be huge. Whether YOU want the car to be autonomous doesnt matter…its coming and Tesla gains more of an advantage daily with the data they have coming in.

A look at their financial statements reveals a lot and they’re doing insane work to continue to lower operating costs and continuing to grow. You may not like the cars…but the business model is hard to debate. I dont see many scenarios where Tesla actually feels theatened in the future. The CEO of VW will openly tell you how far ahead Tesla is…that should say something.

Scheduled an appointment to have the windows tinted then I thought I would surprise her with an intake and a tune. While I have no problem paying the price for a tune I couldn’t believe the cost for an intake….. in what world would someone charge $1,000+ for an intake and it’s not an exotic lol

20% Rear and 35% Front. Would love to have windshield tint, but since my car is low, I don't want to run the risk of having to replace it if the windshield cracks.

Side note. I hate when people put cheap tint on their cars. Must love that bubble look:smh:

You guys think Tesla will ever open up it's software? As impressive as the Plaid numbers are, I don't for a second believe that it's anywhere close to what it's capable of. It's a full size sedan with all the creature comforts you could ask for and still runs low 9s. If you were able to approach that car the way you would a drag car, things could get downright silly.

Whats crazy is isnt the 0-60 about 2 seconds? How much crazier can that get. 1.5? 1 second? Seems unreal. Ive been in a MYP and I floored it and that that shot me to the back of my seat with the torque. I believe thats only 3.5? Ive been in an M5C and floored it and it didnt feel nearly as “gut wrenching”. Coudnt imagine how the MSP acceleration feels.

Back
Top Bottom