\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

What exactly makes the impala so appealing? I don't get it.
No hate on anyone's car, everyone has their taste and they are extremely popular but I don't understand.

I think you had to have been around during the time it was out to fully appreciate it. It was just one of those cars that had BAD *** written all over it. A four door American monster.

It was SS was the Hellcat Charger of that era.

Last edited:
Man just look at it! It just embodies american muscle. While it's souped up Caprice, it just has its own flavor. I would've had one by now, but I'm a coupe man. I just picked up my third '97 Riv last week.

Thanks King J. I've finally come to grips with the fact that I will always have a Riv, no matter what else in my fleet.

From hot rod

For those that asked and will bother to read .

In retrospect, the production of the ’94 Impala SS seemed obvious. In its basic form, the SS was just a modern take on the original recipe for the Impala SS: a high-performance engine in Chevrolet’s fullsize car. However, the car market wasn’t what it was in 1969, the last time an Impala wore an SS badge. In the early ’90s, auto manufacturers were finally learning how to make power while still meeting emissions guidelines. Powerful, rear-wheel-drive sedans were only available from the likes of BMW. That was about to change

The Impala SS concept was the brainchild of Jon Moss, then-manager of Chevrolet Special Vehicles. The B-body Caprice, redesigned in 1991 into the unflatteringly nicknamed “Orca” body style, wasn’t exactly setting the sales charts on fire. In late 1992, Jim Perkins, the general manager of Chevrolet, asked Jon if he could come up with a way to wake up sales. Jon’s goal was to build a concept car that would easily translate to production. He called upon TDM to take a police-spec Caprice 9C1, add an LT1 engine, and lower the suspension by an inch. Vehma, a division of Magna International, did the bodywork, which included the spoiler, the grille, and the badging. The concept was created in only 14 days, just in time for the SEMA Show. Few people outside of the build team even knew about it before it was unveiled. Throughout the development, the only thing that surprised Jon was the tremendous response it got from the enthusiast public. When Chevrolet took the concept to the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in 1993, they received somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 orders, enough to nudge the Impala SS into production for the 1994 model year.

The production Impala SS brought a lowered suspension, De Carbon shocks, 12.1-inch disc brakes, and 17-inch aluminum wheels with Z-rated tires to the B-body ladder frame. It differentiated itself with a monotone grille and body molding, a spoiler, and a unique C-pillar window shape, thanks to an appliqué that contained a new iteration of the bounding Impala emblem. The Impala SS was only available in black for 1994; Dark Cherry Metallic and Dark Grey Green were added in 1995.

The heart of the Impala SS is the LT1 V8, which pumped 260 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque through a column-shifted 4L60 transmission. The police-fleet market had asked for more power when the SS concept was being developed, so the LT1 was already on the drawing board. All GM B-body cars would have likely received the LT1 in 1994, regardless of whether the Impala was produced.

If you’re in the market for a used Impala SS, we’ve found they can be had starting at around $5,000, with well-kept models coming in around $9,000. While 260 hp made them quite a fun ride back in 1994, cylinder-head and cam design have come a long way since then, so you should be able to wake one up nicely with a few bolt-ons, though the LT1, Gen II small-block is a bastard engine with reverse cooling (requiring dedicated cylinder heads) and a front-mounted Opti-spark distributor. A Chevrolet Performance E-Rod, LS3 crate-engine swap is also a possibility on the ’94 and ’95 for 50-state emission compliance if numbers-matching isn’t your thing.

Bonus
The ’96 version finally got a floor shifter, which happens to be Moss’ personal favorite, though we prefer the column shift and the console with the cupholders in the ’94s and ’95s.
The ’94 Impala and Caprice exterior rearview mirrors were mounted on stalks. The ’95-’96s have them tucked at the corners of the side glass.
The option codes for the Impala SS from ’94–’96 were BN5, BL5, and 1SS, respectively.
Callaway offered a 404hp, 383-powered Supernatural Impala SS. The package cost $25,345 on top of the $24,405 base price in 1995. It ran the quarter-mile in 14.0 in a Motor Trend test.
The original concept car was later treated to a 540ci big-block. Much later, Rick Hendrick bought it at Barrett-Jackson.
Tim Allen owns a 6.3L, LT5-powered SS--the Binford 6100.
Prior to the LT1, the 7th-gen Caprice was sold with three different V8s with a max output of 180hp.
The Impala’s predecessor, the Caprice, had rear quarter-panels that covered the top part of the tire in the ’91–’92 models. The ’93–96 models have semicircular rear-wheel openings.

What do you guys think of the el dorado 1989ish models. Guy at work has one in good condition. Found one with 120k original miles close by for cheap

I think you had to have been around during the time it was out to fully appreciate it. It was just one of those cars that had BAD *** written all over it. A four door American monster.

It was SS was the Hellcat Charger of that era.
:smokin
Definatly had to been around at that time ...

I wish I was a lil older at that time . only car I remember from the 90s was a an all white c4 that pulled up to my apartment complex . Had my little *** like :wow: :x :pimp: :pimp: :lol:

In the 80's it was the grand national , 90s the SS Impala , 2000 it was the Mercury marauder which I have also .

It's always been about big body American muscle with me ( love 4 doors ) ... The grand national is next on my list , but I think
I may let the Mercury go .

yea the 90s has quite a few cars/trucks id like to get my hands on
454 SS Silverado
1996 Camaro SS w/single exhaust
Dodge Stealth RT/TT(3000GT VR4)

nice Riviera too, supercharged 3800?

Impala and a Marauder, nice

yup my passion for cars/trucks started in the 80s
with the 86 Camaro Z-28 that we had similiar to this

T-tops for life!

Anyone have any experience owning a 240z? I really want one as a weekend/project car type thing. What would I be getting myself into?

Guys help!!! This is one of the saddest days ever, curbed my wheel this morning going through the ATM.

My question is should I let one of those wheel places fix it or just buy a new lip? Has anyone had their wheels repaired before? If so how did it turn out?

Guys help!!! This is one of the saddest days ever, curbed my wheel this morning going through the ATM.

My question is should I let one of those wheel places fix it or just buy a new lip? Has anyone had their wheels repaired before? If so how did it turn out?
Rookie move 
mean.gif

I would find a reputable curb rash repair man.  I can't speak for all of them but the guy that does it for our shop does amazing work. He came and fixed some rash on the M4 we had last month and the 89 speedster and he did an awesome job. 

Man just look at it! It just embodies american muscle. While it's souped up Caprice, it just has its own flavor. I would've had one by now, but I'm a coupe man. I just picked up my third '97 Riv last week.

NICE! My mom was going to buy one when I was in high school, but she went with a 1994 Buick Regal Gran Sport. The things that stood out to me were that those "land yachts" would move, but you wouldn't hear anything, those engines were quiet and silky smooth. You could hit 100, it felt and sounded like you were doing 40. Hers was just like the this one:

@Nelson999

What do you think of the new 911s?  I think I've made up my mind and will be aiming for the 991 911 as my next car.  

Since the new 911 is now all Turbo, the performance is definitely an improvement.  But I heard the older 991.1 with the NA engine is just irreplaceable.   I'm wondering if i should just look for a pre-owned one with the NA engine when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom