Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

Jon Papelbon wore the grey bottom pre-poly in the 2007 WS while most Red Sox had switched to the black-rim poly...
apparently players were allowed to wear the old hats at least in 2007 along with the poly...superstition, etc...

Jon Papelbon wore the grey bottom pre-poly in the 2007 WS while most Red Sox had switched to the black-rim poly...
apparently players were allowed to wear the old hats at least in 2007 along with the poly...superstition, etc...

That wasn't too uncommon actually.

I'd say up until maybe the last 4 years there was a fair amount of players still rocking the grey bottom wool hats (with exception of teams w/ newer hats that came out after the poly switch).

I remember Tim Lincecum still rocking his clearly busted grey bottom wool hat during the Giants' 2010 WS run lol.

There was actually plenty of players last season with Grey under brim, I just don't think they are old wools. Could be custom on fields with requested grey brims?

posting some evidence to document that would be awesome and helpful to the on-field hat community

OK so maybe I misremembered w/ Lincecum b/c a quick google search wasn't able to find any evidence but here's Colby Lewis of the Rangers who's rocking a grey bottom in the 2010 WS.

Keep in mind that Lewis had an original stint w/ Rangers from 2002-2004 so he probably kept his OG grey bottom hat and brought it back out to wear when he returned to the Rangers in 2010.

There was actually plenty of players last season with Grey under brim, I just don't think they are old wools. Could be custom on fields with requested grey brims?

I'd say within the 1st few years after the poly switch (roughly 2007-2011), it was reasonable that was still some old stock of grey bottom wool's that players had access to if they preferred them over the poly's.

I know the Diamondbacks in recent years when they've worn the retro purple hats, they're definitely modern remakes but done w/ grey bottoms.

It's actually a mess with that since some players are rocking the retail version black bottoms while others are with the grey bottoms so there's no consistency :lol:

Sorta related but sorta not, remember Jeter used to have his hat custom made. He'd rock the black bottom poly's but was adamant about having the white sweatband from what I recall.

I wish they would go back to grey underbrim

I'm sure they don't because the black absorbs the light plus doesn't show sweat?

I mean most these dudes rocking a new hat every game anyways

That old Bowie Baysox logo from 1993, was much better than today's logo. It added more flair to the hat, the letter ''B'' with the sailboat and the waves, it was really dope. Today's logo is more plain looking to me, really nothing special about it. That's the reason why I don't be buying no Baysox hats, it could have the most sickest looking customade color scheme on the hat and it still wont do it for me cause of the logo being too plain. I'm really picky when it comes to my logo's on the hats and color scheme's.

Interesting about grey unders in 2007 and 2010, and what Jeter has (white sweatband).^.

I'm seeing that the TBTC (turn back the clock) hats this year will have the flag on them. I know in the past, some teams have just used old TBTC stock to supply "new TBTC" events, or they just wore regular on fields, or they were in fact "new". SO what we see this year may be old stock but with the flag glued on. Beware.

Last year, I know the Reds and Mets had TBTC grey under on fields. The brewers and padres was your regular black under. I have great interest in trying to understand what teams used in the past. I bet some teams did use grey unders at some point in time within the past 5 years, maybe for an obscure TBTC game. Maybe those same caps were worn by various players throughout the season .I could see a mets player wearing the '86 tbtc for regular games. Although the grey under seems somewhat new to 2016 TBTC on fields. Does anyone know any other TBTC on fields that were grey under?

Mlbcollectors.com is good for so much. But those obscure TBTC events and hats are almost not worth their time (one or two games out of a season). But it's cool to look back on. They don't seem to take note of player/equipment differences like you guys mentioned above.. MLBC does note that in 1997 the Angels were one of the only teams to try out black under (keeping with 100% wool and white sweatbands). Yet it wasnt until 98 or 99 that they saw the whole team transition. It's funny when I see these
Custom" grey under Angels fitteds. They should technically be black under "customs"

Craniumfitteds.com sale got extended. Ends tonight. And yeah @alp, I have never seen on fields go for that cheap. We're basically talking $14 pre tax (let alone pre shipping). $16 shipped to your house :smh:

Back to the flag on on fields for a minute. I was at a AAA game the other day and noticed almost more people with MLB "on fields" that had flags (like they bought them within the past month) than the non flagged version. They very well be fashion based or "customs". But truly that made me realize, between the fashion varieties and the new on fields, the flag is everywhere, and people don't seem to care. I'll never buy one at retail knowing some custom that looks identical now is half the cost. The flag is everywhere now (what they wanted) but it de legitimizes what an on field used to represent. From a quick glance, I can't tell if these people are wearing some china made custom, or the new on fields. I think thats a sad observation for NE.

Last edited:
Interesting about grey unders in 2007 and 2010, and what Jeter has (white sweatband).^.

I'm seeing that the TBTC (turn back the clock) hats this year will have the flag on them. I know in the past, some teams have just used old TBTC stock to supply "new TBTC" events, or they just wore regular on fields, or they were in fact "new". SO what we see this year may be old stock but with the flag glued on. Beware.

Last year, I know the Reds and Mets had TBTC grey under on fields. The brewers and padres was your regular black under. I have great interest in trying to understand what teams used in the past. I bet some teams did use grey unders at some point in time within the past 5 years, maybe for an obscure TBTC game. Maybe those same caps were worn by various players throughout the season .I could see a mets player wearing the '86 tbtc for regular games. Although the grey under seems somewhat new to 2016 TBTC on fields. Does anyone know any other TBTC on fields that were grey under?

Mlbcollectors.com is good for so much. But those obscure TBTC events and hats are almost not worth their time (one or two games out of a season). But it's cool to look back on. They don't seem to take note of player/equipment differences like you guys mentioned above.. MLBC does note that in 1997 the Angels were one of the only teams to try out black under (keeping with 100% wool and white sweatbands). Yet it wasnt until 98 or 99 that they saw the whole team transition. It's funny when I see these
Custom" grey under Angels fitteds. They should technically be black under "customs"

Craniumfitteds.com sale got extended. Ends tonight. And yeah @alp, I have never seen on fields go for that cheap. We're basically talking $14 pre tax (let alone pre shipping). $16 shipped to your house :smh:

Back to the flag on on fields for a minute. I was at a AAA game the other day and noticed almost more people with MLB "on fields" that had flags (like they bought them within the past month) than the non flagged version. They very well be fashion based or "customs". But truly that made me realize, between the fashion varieties and the new on fields, the flag is everywhere, and people don't seem to care. I'll never buy one at retail knowing some custom that looks identical now is half the cost. The flag is everywhere now (what they wanted) but it de legitimizes what an on field used to represent. From a quick glance, I can't tell if these people are wearing some china made custom, or the new on fields. I think thats a sad observation for NE.

If you're someone that hates the flag, then the "glued on" stock may actually be a blessing since you can just rip them off easily. I've seen these glued on ones in person and can say ripping them off had no issues. May vary w/ the hat as far as some residue being visible but most of the ones I came across had no issues.

As far as what TBTC's have grey bottoms or not, it's been a recent trend with some teams deciding to go that route or not.

From what I've seen in this current poly era, initially most if not all TBTC's (for retail) they kept the specs uniform w/ the regular on-field's by doing them w/ black bottoms.

But in recent years, some teams have gotten more "fancy" by having a grey or kelly bottom on their TBTC's.

The Mets 1986 hat was technically a regular On-Field and NOT a TBTC so that makes it even more interesting that they made that hat with a grey under. Also the orange thread was a shade different as well (not that noticeable though at first glance).

Which Padres and Brewers TBTC's are you referring to that have the black bottoms? If you're referring to the Brown/Gold Taco Bell cap and the Brewers royal blue glove hat, those are regular On-Field's are both of them so that's why they have black bottoms.

But if you were referring to actual TBTC"s, then yes, Padres' recent TBTC's of the Tony Gwynn era hats have had black bottoms (goes back to my comment on how most of the TBTC's initially just kept same uniform specs as regular On-Field's).

Last edited:
yeah sorry @jonwin, forgot there are more than just one for each team. Gwynn era navy with white/orange SD, and the 94 era brewers navy with gold MB are two of the only ones I have (plus mets 86). I didnt realize some teams officially designated some TBTC hats as "alternates" or just on field, yet only wore them a handful of times.. That definitely confuses things.

I think the padres wore that same combo a few years back, Not sure if that hat was designated TBTC or not. I know last years was.

I too like the MLB logo. It adds a sense of legitimacy to a product. Imagine a nba jersey without the jerry west? I know it got moved to the back of the jersey recently, and hate that. A league logo (like they do to all NCAA tournament march madness teams with the blue NCAA logo. it gets added to the top of the jersey. I like that and think it should be on all apparel prior to the tourney) is a good thing. Corporate greed is another

Last edited:
anna house on 184 street routinely has $15 fitted sales.

so does this store in Fordham rd on da strip going downhill next to VIM in boxes for 3 for 45...i feasted plenty of times.
If I'm not mistaken that's usually old bs joints, a new era patched joint ain't normally $15

anna house on 184 street routinely has $15 fitted sales.

so does this store in Fordham rd on da strip going downhill next to VIM in boxes for 3 for 45...i feasted plenty of times.
If I'm not mistaken that's usually old bs joints, a new era patched joint ain't normally $15

:lol: if you only seen da number of patch fitteds i copped for $15

sometimes they just had too much stock & they had to liquidate to make space for new products.

yeah sorry @jonwin, forgot there are more than just one for each team. Gwynn era navy with white/orange SD, and the 94 era brewers navy with gold MB are two of the only ones I have (plus mets 86). I didnt realize some teams officially designated some TBTC hats as "alternates" or just on field, yet only wore them a handful of times.. That definitely confuses things.

I think the padres wore that same combo a few years back, Not sure if that hat was designated TBTC or not. I know last years was.

I too like the MLB logo. It adds a sense of legitimacy to a product. Imagine a nba jersey without the jerry west? I know it got moved to the back of the jersey recently, and hate that. A league logo (like they do to all NCAA tournament march madness teams with the blue NCAA logo. it gets added to the top of the jersey. I like that and think it should be on all apparel prior to the tourney) is a good thing. Corporate greed is another

OK, yea those Padres and Brewers you mentioned were designated "TBTC" then and yea, they didn't follow suit w/ the "retro" aspect of doing those w/ grey unders.

Seems to me, it just depends on what the team wants to do.

I know the Phillies burgundy retro they often do as a TBTC, they've done like 3 iterations of it with a black, grey and kelly unders along with using 2 different sized "P" logos as well.

The designations can be confusing. The one that irks me is the Diamondbacks purple retro, they legit wear those "regularly" enough (every Thursday home game) so it should be listed as an Alternate IMO but they still list it as a TBTC.

That old Bowie Baysox logo from 1993, was much better than today's logo. It added more flair to the hat, the letter ''B'' with the sailboat and the waves, it was really dope. Today's logo is more plain looking to me, really nothing special about it. That's the reason why I don't be buying no Baysox hats, it could have the most sickest looking customade color scheme on the hat and it still wont do it for me cause of the logo being too plain. I'm really picky when it comes to my logo's on the hats and color scheme's.
just seen an old lady getting on bus with this same hat lol. It was a snapback tho

Does anyone know any other TBTC on fields that were grey under?

Are you asking about just last year?
Just in general going back to 2007 black poly era. I find it interesting that such a uniform change is allowed (even for just a game). And if its not a huge uniform deal, I don't know why some teams or players havent done their own thing since the switch on a more consistent basis. Angels had black unders before anyone else for three season. The pirates had red unders for a season. etc..

Buying older stuff some 5-10 years later can be an interesting process. I've now seen 2010 ASG Minnesota hats with 2007 hat tagging (blue/white poly tag), along with a 2005 ASG STL Cardinals cap that has the 2006 white/blue wool tagging (patch added a year later/in the off season). At some point, they were using old stock for new patches, or new stock for old patches. I wouldnt call it grimy, but you cant go by the patch or the hat tag anymore. I've made mention before. Ive bought Made in China hats with cool base on the "sticker" but the tagging is that 2007 era blue based color.

But thats just a fanatic digging deep into the details of it all. We have bigger problems, like half of MLB hats now being made in China. Made in the USA with no flag used to be a PRIDE statement. Something to be proud of... Not anymore. Its all changed when they bought the Buffalo Bill stadium naming rights. Since 2015, all down hill.. Think about it. it's all so tricky and ugly anymore, but its been a decade or more in the making since China production has started doing on fields

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom