President to propose free community college on Friday

Jesus Christ this board gets more liberal every damn day. People expect the government to just give, give, give. My god, be men and take care of yourselves and your respective families. If you love those other develoved countries so much, then leave. We don't need your kind here. The mindset of some of you is truly sickening.

This board should be called ElizabethWarrenTalk.

No one is entitled to free college, period, and even if this were to go through, high school students who can't even make decent grades certainly shouldn't be afforded the opportunity to have tax payer money flushed down the drain so they can flunk out of CC.
sick.gif

Just got my refund two days ago, thank you taxpayers.

Hot-*****.gif
tumblr_n8f60rQUDc1rtlon2o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Still don't see the point. If there are already pell grants available for individuals coming from low-income households then this plan only helps people who can already afford CC but aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed to attend.

It's not for the impoverished (because they already have grants available) it's for the middle class individual who isn't willing to part with certain luxuries so they can better their own lives.

Seriously, prove to me that this isn't the case. If you can't qualify for pell grants that's because you or your family makes enough money to take care of themselves. Instead of cable TV or a monthly car note people could be going to college.

Folks just want to make ******* excuses and have other people give them everything.

Last edited:
Still don't see the point. If there are already pell grants available for individuals coming from low-income households then this plan only helps people who can already afford CC but aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed to attend.

It's not for the impoverished (because they already have grants available) it's for the middle class individual who isn't willing to part with certain luxuries so they can better their own lives.

Seriously, prove to me that this isn't the case. If you can't afford pell grants that's because you or your family makes enough money to take care of themselves. Instead of cable TV or a monthly car note people could be going to college.

Folks just want to make ******* excuses and have other people give them everything.
This is 100% correct, I stated the same pages ago...

However I will add that those who don't qualify for financial aid in the form of TAP or PEL can still attend a community college at a low cost without needing your parents help. That's why other forms of financial aid such as student loans exists. Graduating with BA degree for about $10-$15k in "student loans" isn't going to kill anyone. There's more pro's than cons..

All I can tell kids nowadays is you don't have to go to a private college/university.  Go with what isn't going to hinder you financially in the future...

Last edited:
This is 100% correct, I stated the same pages ago...

However I will add that those who don't qualify for financial aid in the form of TAP or PEL can still attend a community college at a low cost without needing your parents help. That's why other forms of financial aid such as student loans exists. Graduating with BA degree for about $10-$15k in "student loans" isn't going to kill anyone. There's more pro's than cons..

exactly.

I empathize for the impoverished, but the rest of America can go **** themselves with a light pole.

I'm using financial aid pell grants and my gi bill
smokin.gif

I don't pay for ****
You earned that though. I'm not for this entitled sense that the government should pay for everyone in america, or even those with a certain GPA. 

Next people will say that they're entitled to food, housing, transportation, etc all at the tax payers expense. 

I'll have to disagree with that attitude. Education should be free for everyone at all levels. I rather spend tax dollars on education than the way it's spent currently. But hey that's just me.

meh i rather pay extra money if it means someone getting an education than pay extra money because of defense spending.

/thread x 10

this should be the mentality for every voter. and every politician.

This is to help people who don't have the funds to come out of pockets. My mom makes 40K, doesn't mean she has money coming out of her *** to pay $6000 every year for me to go yo school. That's not even counting books. Try to understand the situation before you criticize just because you didn't need it.

Then take out a damn loan, or find some scholarship or grant money. There's absolutely no reason that people can't go to school if they want to.

/thread x 10

right....because obviously this is going to cut into the defense budget as opposed to just being a tax hike.

.....wrong. the defense budget isn't going anywhere.

:lol: IDK where these "I would rather" folks are coming from.

Why should he have to take out a loan? Stop pressuring people into a bubble that leaves so many young people in debt for a chunk of their lives. There is no reason why there should be a premium on education or a form of extortion set up for people to better their lives. You guys are so conditioned it's sad and funny. How can we advsnce when we price people out of a life changing resource? But you know what go ahead take more loans out, I'm short Sallie Mae via puts so **** it, make me some money when this **** comes crashing down.

Last edited:
Then take out a damn loan, or find some scholarship or grant money. There's absolutely no reason that people can't go to school if they want to.

What makes you think I haven't applied for scholarships, and what makes you think I qualify for every single one of them?

I also don't qualify for grants either because of how my mom makes.

Basically I should already be in extreme debt before I transfer because tuition is unnecessarily high? I guess somehow that's cool to people.

Last edited:

Corporate welfare is out of hand and people don't talk about it enough. Did you know that during the recession in 2008 we bailed out AIG by giving them $180 billion in a span of a year! That was more than we spent on welfare to the poor ($140 billion) in a 17 year period from 1990 to 2006!

People have this blame the poor attitude and it's sickening. They have the middle class fighting with the poor while the big corps and banks are getting away with murder. 46 million people are living in poverty in this country, almost 17 million are children, 10.6 million are working poor, 5 million are seniors and another 5 million are disabled. We have to help these people. What happened to humanity, love and empathy?

We are the only developed country without universal health care.

Did you know we are the only developed country that doesn't have a mandated law for vacation? An employer doesn't have to give you a single day.

We are the only developed country without paid maternity leave. Many countries give 6 months or more.

We could do better and I believe giving people an education is a great start. The lottery of birth shouldn't decide your most likely fate.

Many European countries do all the above and they rank better than the U.S. in many categories.
smokin.gif
Nice post

What makes you think I haven't applied for scholarships, and what makes you think I qualify for every single one of them?

I also don't qualify for grants either because of how my mom makes.

Basically I should already be in extreme debt before I transfer because tuition is unnecessarily high? I guess somehow that's cool to people.

Well sir, like I staTed earlier in the thread, I hope you picked a marketable major that will allow you to pay that debt when you graduate. It's all about proper planning.

/thread x 10

right....because obviously this is going to cut into the defense budget as opposed to just being a tax hike.

.....wrong. the defense budget isn't going anywhere.

:lol: IDK where these "I would rather" folks are coming from.

2x19-Michael-s-Birthday-Animated-gif-the-office-7891680-325-188.gif

whether the defense budget changes or not, is irrelevant. im arguing that the federal cost of this program is nothing compared to what we spend in agressive military campaigns, weapons, and other defense spending. $60 billion over 10 years? pocket change.

"idk where these "i would rather" folks are coming from".....why are you confused? is it surprising to hear what they'd rather have their tax dollars spent on? at the end of the day its really up to the politicians in power once they are voted into office, but everyone is entitled to their "i would rather" beliefs.

this society would function a lot better if people cared about their fellow man. My fam spends a few Gs a year (EVERY YEAR) helping put kids of poor family/friends in Haiti thru school (all the way thru college, and my aunt, when in ny, periodically fills a drum of stuff we don't need like computers and shoes, when she goes back to her home in Haiti.

so whats wrong with giving to those less fortunate? the cost of $60 billion over a decade is nothing to the cost we as a society face, if we have kids not going to school, as well as the cost said kids face by not getting an education.

lastly, i'd like to address the point that there should be no reason to not go to school. to a great extent, i agree. you shouldn't let cost deter you from going to school. there are resources out there that can give you financial support. as it stands, debt is part of getting an education so the least they can do is GRADUATE IN A FIELD THAT HAS A SOLID JOB MARKET. that is key. as i said before, you are giving away $$ to the school by majoring in dance. or something.

...having said that, i think we should be a bit sympathetic to the idea that there are still a lot of families and kids who are scared of pulling that higher education trigger because of cost. they might have lived in poverty all their lives and the last thing they want to do is get into 100K+ debt.

to add to that, a lot of students get locked into federal/private (especially private) loans with absurd interest rates and sometimes without the possibility of loan forgiveness. extremely high monthly payments really suck. so it sucks, and i think that when you look at the cost of education for a lot of schools (40-50K for a lot of top schools) its absurd, so to dismiss people's...fear, and hesitation is unfair.

but yes, they should still pursue college, extraordinary circumstances that prevent said college aspirations, not withstanding.

Last edited:
If you don't succeed because your scared or hesistant. That's your fault, it's all on you. And that's great your family donates money to people in need, you guys are awesome. But at the end of the day that is a CHOICE you've all made. I should not be forced to pay for anyone's college education, especially when I don't want to.

2x19-Michael-s-Birthday-Animated-gif-the-office-7891680-325-188.gif

whether the defense budget changes or not, is irrelevant. im arguing that the federal cost of this program is nothing compared to what we spend in agressive military campaigns, weapons, and other defense spending. $60 billion over 10 years? pocket change.

"idk where these "i would rather" folks are coming from".....why are you confused? is it surprising to hear what they'd rather have their tax dollars spent on? at the end of the day its really up to the politicians in power once they are voted into office, but everyone is entitled to their "i would rather" beliefs.

this society would function a lot better if people cared about their fellow man. My fam spends a few Gs a year (EVERY YEAR) helping put kids of poor family/friends in Haiti thru school (all the way thru college, and my aunt, when in ny, periodically fills a drum of stuff we don't need like computers and shoes, when she goes back to her home in Haiti.

so whats wrong with giving to those less fortunate? the cost of $60 billion over a decade is nothing to the cost we as a society face, if we have kids not going to school, as well as the cost said kids face by not getting an education.

lastly, i'd like to address the point that there should be no reason to not go to school. to a great extent, i agree. you shouldn't let cost deter you from going to school. there are resources out there that can give you financial support. as it stands, debt is part of getting an education so the least they can do is GRADUATE IN A FIELD THAT HAS A SOLID JOB MARKET. that is key. as i said before, you are giving away $$ to the school by majoring in dance. or something.

...having said that, i think we should be a bit sympathetic to the idea that there are still a lot of families and kids who are scared of pulling that higher education trigger because of cost. they might have lived in poverty all their lives and the last thing they want to do is get into 100K+ debt.

to add to that, a lot of students get locked into federal/private (especially private) loans with absurd interest rates and sometimes without the possibility of loan forgiveness. extremely high monthly payments really suck. so it sucks, and i think that when you look at the cost of education for a lot of schools (40-50K for a lot of top schools) its absurd, so to dismiss people's...fear, and hesitation is unfair.

but yes, they should still pursue college, extraordinary circumstances that prevent said college aspirations, not withstanding.

Again it's not a matter of "rather", it's a matter of "more".

That aside, the hell else are you going on about? The poor? Dude I'm the first to speak on tax dollars being misappropriated for the defense budget and other unnecessary expenditures. I've long said that our gov needs to be putting that back into education, infrastructure and job creation. I'm the first to say that disadvantaged, disenfranchised minority youth need to be afforded better education regardless of tax bracket. I'm all for that.

But we already have pell grants for the POOR. The folks that need help are already getting it from the government, this only helps middle class families who don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to fund a rudimentary community college education.

It's like most of you are completely overlooking the fact that this pretty much SOLELY helps middle class families will taxing OTHER middle class families (because honestly taxes don't really phase the poor or wealthy, always the middle class). It's NOT going to be a boon for the poor because they ALREADY HAVE GRANTS AVAILABLE.

Last edited:
Again it's not a matter of "rather", it's a matter of "more".

That aside, the hell else are you going on about? The poor? Dude I'm the first to speak on tax dollars being misappropriated for the defense budget and other unnecessary expenditures. I've long said that our gov needs to be putting that back into education, infrastructure and job creation.

But we already have pell grants for the POOR. The folks that need help are already getting it from the government, this only helps middle class families who don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to fund a rudimentary community college education.

It's like most of you are completely overlooking the fact that this pretty much SOLELY helps middle class families will taxing OTHER middle class families (because honestly taxes don't really phase the poor or wealthy, always the middle class). It's NOT going to be a boon for the poor because they ALREADY HAVE GRANTS AVAILABLE.

To add to this...you're helping people who don't even deserve it from an academic standpoint. I can understand if we're giving out free education to folks who have a 3.3-3.4+++ gpa....but a 2.5 gpa?!?! We're essentially paying for them to fail their college classes which is inevitable.

/thread x 10

How much are you paying yearly in federal or state taxes?  

I'm going to pay more taxes on top of the enormous amount I already pay to fund someone else going to college? Why? Hypothetically speaking, If I were to have a son or daughter going to college/university at this moment, I wouldn't qualify for the student loan tax deduction programs because of the amount I make yearly.  Yet I'm suppose to be satisfied in paying more taxes to send a stranger to school.

Again, I'd like to say the only reason I have issue with this is because way too many people illegally take advantage of government programs. The government loves giving help to those who don't actually need it and the President supports this notion...   

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom