*..PRINCE HARRY on front line in Afghanistan..* Pics/ Video

[h1]Prince Harry on front line in Afghanistan[/h1][h2]British army chief confirms report, says his service is 'exemplary'[/h2]

In this image made available in London on Thursday, Britain's Prince Harry mans a machinegun at an observation post close to Forward Operating Base Delhi in Afghanistan on Jan. 2.
Prince Harry has been serving on the front line in Afghanistan with the British Army, calling in airstrikes on Taliban positions and going out on foot patrols, the Ministry of Defense announced Thursday.
Officials said the prince, a lieutenant in the Blues and Royals regiment, was still deployed in the country.

"His conduct on operations in Afghanistan has been exemplary," said the head of the army. Gen. Richard Dannatt. "He has been fully involved in operations and has run the same risks as everyone else in his battle group."
Harry, who is third in line to the throne, has been in Afghanistan since December.
The planned deployment had been disclosed to reporters, with no specific date, and was not reported previously under a pool agreement between the Ministry of Defense and all major news organizations operating in Britain, including The Associated Press. The news blackout was intended to reduce the risk to the prince and his regiment.

The news embargo was broken, however, after reports of the prince's deployment were leaked by an Australian magazine and a German newspaper, and then reported on a U.S. Web site, the Drudge Report.

Dannatt, the military commander, said he was "very disappointed" that the story had leaked.

He might be removed
"Now that the story is in the public domain, the Chief of Defence Staff and I will take advice from the operational commanders about whether his deployment can continue," Dannatt added. "I now appeal to the media to restrain from attempting to report Prince Harry's every move and return to our understanding."
[table][tr][td]
dv_to_getty_1760482_0.standard.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
JOHN STILLWELL / AFP/Getty Images

A photograph made available on Thursday shows Prince Harry at a briefing before going on patrol in Garmisir, Afghanistan, on Jan. 2.

[/td] [/tr][/table]Harry, 23, has been deployed in the restive Helmand province for 10 weeks, where most of the 7,800 British troops in Afghanistan are based, according to the military's statement.
In a recorded interview, Harry said he was happy to be standing shoulder-to- shoulder with his colleagues.

"It's nice just to be here with all the guys and just mucking in as one of the lads," said Harry, who had expressed bitter disappointment when he was banned from going to Iraq with his battalion last year. Army chiefs said publicity surrounding his deployment could put him and his unit at risk.

Pooled video footage of Harry in Afghanistan showed the prince dressed in camouflage fatigues patrolling arid and dusty terrain and firing a machine gun.

Harry graduated from Sandhurst military academy in 2006 and trained as a tank commander. After the decision not to send him to Iraq, he retrained as a battlefield air controller, the job he has been filling in Afghanistan.

I know that he is just a regular ol' chap at the end of the day, but should he get killed by insurgents that would be a very symbolic victory. I thinkit's a bit careless to report on this - kind of like when Geraldo drew his coordinates with a stick in the dirt putting the company he was with injeopardy.
sick.gif

I really respect what he's doing. Dude seems like he's really matured.

Although, now that the media knows about it, he should be pulled. He and his brother probably get enough press coverage to put someone like Britney to shame.

Damn, Harry out there getting gully like princes use to do in the days of the Roundtable.

Servin' like a knight, I see. Hell no, he's too much of a figurehead, he'll risk everyone around him.

Basically he came out of his underground bunker long enough to take some flicks in his uniform, and then bounced.

Originally Posted by Ocks

Basically he came out of his underground bunker long enough to take some flicks in his uniform, and then bounced.
Says the kid sitting safely at home while people like him risk their lives to fight for their countries.
tired.gif

And no, he actually has been reported to be on the front lines. I'm glad you know more about this than the Associated Press and the Ministry of Defense.

Originally Posted by lawinnn

he's too much of a figurehead, he'll risk everyone around him.

what does him being a figurehead have to do with risking people?

he might be risking everyone around him because he is famous...but a figurehead is something else...

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Says the kid sitting safely at home while people like him risk their lives to fight for their countries.
tired.gif

And no, he actually has been reported to be on the front lines. I'm glad you know more about this than the Associated Press and the Ministry of Defense.

maybe the british military is different than the US, but if hes an officer he damn sure isnt manning a m60 in a foxhole. looks like a prime photo op to me.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Agreed .. oh @*#%, that seriously made me laugh though
laugh.gif

maybe the british military is different than the US, but if hes an officer he damn sure isnt manning a m60 in a foxhole.

Lower ranking, commissioned, army officers are often times just as exposed as non officers. A lieutenant will often times be leading a platoon on the frontlines and if anything he is in greater danger because of the fact the enemy would rather shoot you more than the enlisted men that you are commanding.

I think you are confusing all officers for the more senior officers, especially generals, who are almost always a safe distance from the front lines.

Originally Posted by bbanks707

i wonder if hes got his personal guards there too . . .
Even if he does have extra security than the other soldiers, which he probably has, it's still a much higher risk of dying or something happeningto him than if he stayed in England, which he could've done.
sick.gif
@ Bushweasling out of Vietnam and still being elected for being tough.

Originally Posted by Mebo03

I dont believe that hes been in intense firefights
Um have you been fight in the war? Have you been on the front line? If so please tell me what is intense fighting.This guy's life is on the line,whether 3 bullets fly his way or 50. Please don't judge his valor on your mind of a firefight. Note** I take comments like that to heart, because I havebeen shot at blown up and dealt with the stress of this war.

This man and any man/woman overthere gets my respect.

LONDON - Britain's defense chief decided Friday to immediately pull Prince Harry out of Afghanistanafter news of his deployment was leaked on the U.S. Web site the Drudge Report.

[table][tr][td] [size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup, chief of the Defense Staff, said he decided to withdraw the princeafter senior commanders assessed the risks, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

Harry, third in line to the British throne, has been serving on the front line with an army unit in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province since mid-December. He was originally due to return to Britainwithin weeks, but "the situation has now clearly changed," the statement said.

The decision was based on concerns that worldwide media coverage of Harry in Afghanistan could put himand his comrades at increased risk.

The ministry asked the media not to speculate on Harry's location - or how and when he would return - until he was back in Britain.

Instead of protesting the war, why dont we do something CRAZY lke "support our troops"
I mean, they did volunteer but its because they volunteered that we don't have to go you know.

I think it's a bit careless to report on this
indeed.

while freedom of the press is a constitutional right....I do think that journalists need to really take pause and actually think about the consequences oftheir actions.

Back
Top Bottom