Pro's and Con's of Joining the Military?

Smedroc wrote:
Originally Posted by seasoned vet

ljlukelj wrote:
I am about to graduate and plan to join the Navy, I'm not ready for no 9-5

indifferent.gif

- the military is a 9-5. sometimes longer depending on whats going on at the time.

my man aint ready for a 9-5 but he ready to go to war
laugh.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif

- not only that, but that right there is what gets cats in trouble. they look at the military like going to camp or some dumb #%@%. the military is an instantcareer. in college you study then pick the job....in the military it works in reverse, you pick the job then they train you for it. but once you're outthere you go to work M-F 9-5 like every other american. *granted this is all depending on what branch you go to, plus what going on at the time (war exercise,inspection, war time, deployment, etc)*

- it used to trip me out seeing guys getting paid every 1st and 15th spending their money like its allowance, not looking at it like it a job they're beingpaid to do.......

- the military is not summer camp.

- the only con to the military is getting killed. getting a BS duty station is all about what you make of it. there are nothing but positives to joining themilitary especially IF you play your cards right and get all you can get while in it.....use them dont just let them use you.....

Originally Posted by ljlukelj

Originally Posted by Smedroc

indifferent.gif

- the military is a 9-5. sometimes longer depending on whats going on at the time.

laugh.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

lol I didn't mean it like that. I just meant I want to experience more before I settle down and figure out what I want to do.

- settle down? this is another case id see constantly in the military. for some odd reason cats think just beacuse they're in the military its time tosettle down...get married and what not. and if you mean settle down to be in the military forever you could always do 4 and get out....
- ive seen too many dudes come straight into the military out of HS and get married to the first chick they could or go back home and get one. from what igathered, they had something instilled in them early on that told them this was the time to settle down.

- understand the Military (initailly) is very similar to college....VERY SIMILAR. the only difference is the traveling. in most cases it takes you at least 2years just to get out of the dorms as a single dude.

- i gotta ask, where are you getting these preconceived notions about military life from??

......i tell you what. ill give you a few pros most outside the military dont know about, and even ones in the military dont use:

** you earn college credits towards your career. and in some cases you may be in school so long you earn an associates degree. one i know of for sure is aPhysical Therapist. the physical therapy tech school is so long they make you permanent party (you wont live in the dorms or have to live by the rules the dormdudes do).

** if you are close to your degree (in anything). they have a program called Bootstrap where istead of going to work everyday like everyone else you go toschool and still get the same pay. no extra duty....no checking in....just go to school and get paid....expenses too.

** if you're unhappy with your current military career you can cross train into a better paying job on the outside (medical field, computers).

** Hobby Shop: this is a place that ususally has a full auto shop as well as a wood shop too where you can take your car or whatever wood you want to learnhow to work with them, staffed with seasoned technicians to help teach you anytime you want.

** automatic pay raises every year. plus easy promotions to a certain point.

.....ill post more as they come to me.

Smedroc wrote:

ljlukelj wrote:

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif

- not only that, but that right there is what gets cats in trouble. they look at the military like going to camp or some dumb #%@%. the military is an instant career. in college you study then pick the job....in the military it works in reverse, you pick the job then they train you for it. but once you're out there you go to work M-F 9-5 like every other american. *granted this is all depending on what branch you go to, plus what going on at the time (war exercise, inspection, war time, deployment, etc)*

- it used to trip me out seeing guys getting paid every 1st and 15th spending their money like its allowance, not looking at it like it a job they're being paid to do.......

- the military is not summer camp.

- the only con to the military is getting killed. getting a BS duty station is all about what you make of it. there are nothing but positives to joining the military especially IF you play your cards right and get all you can get while in it.....use them dont just let them use you.....

Originally Posted by Smedroc

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
tired.gif

lol I didn't mean it like that. I just meant I want to experience more before I settle down and figure out what I want to do.

- settle down? this is another case id see constantly in the military. for some odd reason cats think just beacuse they're in the military its time to settle down...get married and what not. and if you mean settle down to be in the military forever you could always do 4 and get out....
- ive seen too many dudes come straight into the military out of HS and get married to the first chick they could or go back home and get one. from what i gathered, they had something instilled in them early on that told them this was the time to settle down.

- understand the Military (initailly) is very similar to college....VERY SIMILAR. the only difference is the traveling. in most cases it takes you at least 2 years just to get out of the dorms as a single dude.

- i gotta ask, where are you getting these preconceived notions about military life from??

What I mean but settle down isn't regarding the military. I mean I don't want to settle down on a set career path right of college. Idon't mean settle down IN the military, big difference. Joining the military is a chance to broaden your horizons, I don't see how one could see themilitary as "settling down."

Pros=travelling, excellent benefits for yourself and also if you plan on having a family, if you do your 20 years, retirement for life, since you're agraduate, you can possibly go straight in as an officer if you qualify and depending on what your major was and the demand in the field, you have a steadypaying job for at least 4 years (granted that you don't eff up), discounts on merchandise (PX/BX, NEX, commissary), etc.

Cons=moving from place to place every 3 years, training aspect of it if you're lazy, takes a lot of discipline,

i can't really think of anything else. yes, i was a military brat. and i'm a college graduate and i'm thinking of applying for OCS (OfficerCandidate School.)

Once i get my GED im most likley going to join the army and just do those programs and go to school and train to be a RN or a PC programmer.

What I mean but settle down isn't regarding the military. I mean I don't want to settle down on a set career path right of college. I don't mean settle down IN the military, big difference. Joining the military is a chance to broaden your horizons, I don't see how one could see the military as "settling down."

- well hey, at you're set on your decision. which is more than we can say for a lot of your peers
eyes.gif

- no problem in taking your time. but as i said it can just be 4 years if you want it to be. then the bright side of quitting after 4 would be the expierienceyou earned and/or degree/credits vs. working a dead end job until you figure it out......just saying. do you though.

Originally Posted by RiverXBear

Once i get my GED im most likley going to join the army and just do those programs and go to school and train to be a RN or a PC programmer.

DO NOT JOIN THE ARMY!..............................if you can help it.

- try the:

Air Force
Navy
Coast Guard
Army
Marines

..................in that order. thank me later.

Pro's: Meeting new people and developing (potentially) lifelong friendships. Doing something for yourself, by yourself. Your salary is guaranteed.

Con's: You may be forced to do something you don't want to. The food is repetitive. You will work for someone with no common sense. You could be put ina dangerous area.

If you graduate from college and go straight into the officer's program you will be Balling for a recent college grad.

Joined air force recently. I leave for basic in a few weeks. Cant pass up the benefits and a steady pay check these days.

Back
Top Bottom