pros and cons on moving to hawaii

Whats up NT fam... just wanted to know the pros and cons moving to hawaii?
 If you are from there its a plus

If you know someone from there... a plus too i guess... anyways lmk

I feel like it'd be relaxing to live there but I wouldn't want to live in a vacation place, just my 2 cents. I'd rather move there when I retire

Yeah, seems like more of a vacation spot...

Funny you mentioned this, My mom is in Hawaii right now for 2 weeks, She use to own property down there, now she just visits her cousins and other family members every year.

I have a ton of family in Hawaii. Its very expensive to live there.

When I was considering Teach for America I marked off Hawaii as my place to teach.

Well im looking at the cost right now.. it doesnt look too bad... apts are from 400-1100
I pay $910 right now in New Orleans.. and thats JUST for rent...
I was interested in Niketown... But it looks like it closed.. i got MAD shoe retail Exp so i KNOW 100% i can get AT LEAST a stock job or a part time sales assoc lol.. (ive been a store manager for years...)
ANyone else with any input?

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Can't drive out of state

Yep. If you're wanting to leave the island you're gonna have to cough up a lot of money.
Other than that, it's a beautiful place with great weather and a lot of sights to see. People are friendly too. 

Originally Posted by Rodrigo23

Well im looking at the cost right now.. it doesnt look too bad... apts are from 400-1100
I was interested in Niketown... But it looks like it closed.. i got MAD shoe retail Exp so i KNOW 100% i can get AT LEAST a stock job or a part time sales assoc lol.. (ive been a store manager for years...)

Where in the hell are you going to be staying in Hawaii (I assume you mean Honolulu as Hawaii is a state) for $400 a month? My GF stayed they over the summer as she had a internship with the DAs office and she paid $600 to have a room in an old bread factory...it was such a dump.

The way of life is such a slower pace and layed back, but I dont know about wanting to live there at this age (mid 20s). However I'd love to live there later in life though. 

im assuming u stay near downtown new orleans

eek.gif

Never been to Hawaii but I heard the food prices there are outrageous. I really should visit since damn near half my moms family lives there.

Island fever is a very real thing. You're completely cut off from everything. It's expensive, there isn't much to do because the economy outside of tourist stuff (which would get old real quick). Hell, I'd rather live in Vegas than Hawaii, which says a lot. At least Vegas is within driving distance of major cities, and easy to fly in and out of.

I heard you gotta pay like you weigh to live there (my gf has family there)....I never considered the leaving the island angle, that's a pretty good point

nice place to visit, but wouldnt want to make it home. hear the place is expensive, too.

I don't know where you are looking, but the apartments on the low end are either rat holes in the worst neighborhoods or far away from anything.

It looks like this topic has died down but I'll throw my two cents in.

On the plus side, Hawaii is paradise. Beautiful women, beaches, and a laid back lifestyle. Some of the nicest people you will ever meet and a multicultural melting pot that is different from anywhere else in America. As far as island fever, it does exist in the sense that you are not able to drive to another state with ease. But that sort of defeats the purpose of living on a tropical island. Conversely, you are closer to Asia and the South Pacific so international travel is very easy, if you have the means. Oahu also has a nightlife that rivals any major city in the country. People who come to the state and get bored are usually those who come expecting it to be like their home state. It's not.

However, there is a downside. Hawaii has one of the highest standards of living in the country, if not the highest. The average wage is also lower than most major cities, so you are paying more and making less. Opportunities for career advancement are low. As far as employment, in a lot of cases, your high school degree means more than your college degree (employers will recognize if you went to a good local high school). You might have all the experience selling shoes in the world, but a lot of people in that sector are living at home with their parents (this is extremely common for those not in white-collar fields). You will also need a car to get around and Hawaii has the worst traffic in the nation (yes, ranked). You can get around with the bus, but it is very time consuming, particularly if you are living in a "cheap" neighborhood. Those who don't have a car oftentimes live in more central, but expensive areas so they don't have to commute as much.

All that is not to say that you should not come. There are many people who pick up and move to Hawaii on a whim and love it. It helps if you have family/friends in the area to get you settled, but if you have some cash built up or a job secured it is not necessary.

You'll get island fever. Also there is this other term where people get lazy when they are in a secluded area and that happens to people that live there sometimes. I remember when I last visited Hawaii and speaking to some teens that were born on Hawaii and them saying how much they hated it and couldn't wait to go to college abroad.

I think if this is temporary living, go for it. Don't go out there and start rasing some kids or something like that.

Originally Posted by Xavier

im assuming u stay near downtown new orleans

eek.gif
You must have a nicccccce condo here and also why Hawaii?

One of my co-workers grew up in Hawaii and told me that things have changed from when she lived there. She mentioned that it's real hard to get a job down there, and that everything is really damn expensive. I would believe that the whole lack of jobs in Hawaii shouldn't be a difference compared to any other state tho.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

One thing you gotta worry about is all the Asians, Pacific Islanders, and Filipinos out there.

Peep the sig. 
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
Was a reference to the other post about Filipinos: Asians vs. Pacific Islanders post. I was too subtle. Delivery to be worked on.

Back
Top Bottom