PS3|VITA Thread: Vita $249 | PS3 BF3 Tonight PG727 | Black Ops 3rd Map Pack PG726 | Dust514 PG723

Via YouTube.com

Armored Core V E3 2011 Trailer

Some really good CG work here. I haven't played an Armored Core game since my DC days. 

Via Joystiq

Modern Warfare 3 preview: Spec Ops Survival mode
modernwarfare3survival.jpg

Neither the single-player nor multiplayer modes of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are playable at this year's E3, but Activision is running a demo for a brand new version of co-op that Infinity Ward is calling Spec Ops Survival. I say Infinity Ward is calling it that (and they are, because that's its name), but given that this is multiplayer, it was probably developed in conjunction with Sledgehammer Games and/or Raven Software. Activision wasn't completely clear on just how the co-development work is being divvied up, so we're not sure who to credit for it.

Whoever made it, Spec Ops Survival is a brand new mode for co-op in the Modern Warfare series. I was told that Spec Ops missions are still available (though those weren't being shown off at all), but Survival is a new mode that can be played on any of the maps being used for actual multiplayer. The map used in the demo was called Dome, and after a quick breakdown of the mechanics (it's Horde, basically -- waves of enemies show up on the map, and you and a partner have to take them out) my Activision cohort and I went to work.
Where to begin? Survival can be played online with a buddy, of course, or split screen local, or even solo (where it's just you against the incoming troops). The basic goal, again, is just to survive as long as possible. But as you play this match, you earn money (actual virtual dollars, not COD points as in Black Ops multiplayer) that you can then spend at a series of in-map stores. After the first match, a gun store opens up, and then a few matches later, an equipment store appears, and finally an "air support" store shows up as well.

Money earned in the match (for kills, teammate revives, and various other actions) can be spent in these stores on all of the various things a Modern Warfare soldier would usually carry. The gun store holds a number of weapons which you can not only buy, but then upgrade with various sights or add-ons. There's also an option to re-purchase ammo, in case you run out. The equipment store is packed in with things like frag grenades and tripmines, and even turrets and C4.

The air support store is probably the most interesting -- for a significant amount of money (and after it opens up on the map, around wave 3), you can buy some air support attacks, including a new reward called "Delta Squad." When used, that will summon a group of four AI soldiers to the map via helicopter that serve as your allies, shooting alongside you for as long as they live.

Some of these purchases are governed by progression level, and I was told that this time around, Spec Ops has its own experience and level progression, completely separate from the multiplayer progression. While the balance and rewards on that aren't completely locked down yet, one of the highest level rewards was the option to buy a "Riot Shield Squad" in the air support store, which means you'd be calling down riot shield officers rather than just soldiers.

modernwarfare3mindthegap.jpg

You will probably need everything you can buy and then some -- the enemies start out with just shotguns (which you can grab off the ground to upgrade your starting pistol), and get harder from there. Guard dogs are back in the mix again and not one but two assault helicopters showed up about five waves in. Later, there are soldiers equipped with C4 that explodes when they die, and after that there are dogs equipped with the same rigs. That's right: Dynamite dogs. And on the very last wave that we made it to, I learned that the Juggernaut, the blast suit-wearing badass from Modern Warfare 2, is back.

Doing well across waves (getting headshots, rocking a solid accuracy rating, and taking less damage) gets you more money to spend on in-match items, and Survival also has two onscreen challenge meters to try and fill. The Rampage challenge, for example, rewards you when you kill a bunch of enemies in a row, both with extra cash and with an actual visual explosion of dollar bills in the game world. When you fill up a meter by pulling off Rampages, the reward goes up. Don't pull off Rampages, and the meter will slowly drain out. I also saw a Kill Streak challenge (where you fill the meter by killing multiple enemies without being damaged), and there are a few others in the mix from round to round.

You can share money with your co-op partner if they need some extra cash, and you can revive them if they happen to fall (fallen players can summon their partners to help by pressing Y). There are at least a few difficulty levels to play with, though it wasn't clear how many. And on one more mysterious note, there was an armor value at the bottom of the screen that started at 100, and fell as I got shot. It's unclear whether that's something just for this mode or if it's a gamewide thing, but the Activision rep didn't provide comment.

Was it fun? It was -- the mechanics of Modern Warfare were familiar, and the incoming enemy soldiers provided a different challenge than what you'd find in the single- or multiplayer modes. Admittedly, the action was a little wackier than what we've seen from Infinity Ward in the past (the explosion of cash on a Rampage definitely takes you out of the military simulation of it all, not to mention the dynamite dogs), but even playing with an Activision employee provided thrills I think that would only be expanded upon by playing with a good friend. And the cash/store balance seemed fun -- every time I felt like I'd gotten used to a certain weapon or piece of equipment purchased, I had earned just enough money to head back to the store and pick up something newer and better.

There's not a ton of innovation in the actual mode itself, but of course it's Horde mode painted with theModern Warfare brush. As one part of the much larger scheme of Modern Warfare 3, Spec Ops Survival is a good fit.

Via Joystiq

Ono teases more Capcom/Namco collaborations, more crossovers
ono68.jpg

With Infamous's Cole McGrath now in Street Fighter X Tekken -- and representing neither of those series -- we commented to SF X Tekken producer Yoshinori Ono that the door was now open for pretty much anybody to appear in the game. "That's an interesting comment," Ono responded, "and if I tell you too much, we'll have no reason to meet later this year."

He didn't specify whether he meant additional outside characters in Street Fighter X Tekken or more crossover games. But he did suggest that more collaboration between Namco and Capcom was in the offing, beyond the two announced Street Fighter/Tekken crossovers. "We have these two giant companies, Capcom and Namco, working together. It would be kind of wasteful to limit it to just Street Fighter and just Tekken, and that's all I'll say."

This is just speculation, but we wouldn't be surprised to see some Soulcalibur V characters in SF X Tekken, at least. It would be effective cross-promotion. And X-promotion

Please, no, don't destroy the Street Fighter francise even more by another versus. Soul Calibur? C'mon Ono-son 
indifferent.gif

Via Joystiq

Street Fighter X Tekken 'FightStick Pro' spotted
sftekstick.jpg

Mad Catz is working on a new series of FightSticks, starting with a Street Fighter X Tekken model. Though we don't have details about the internals of the new "FightStick Pro," or the price or release date or really anything, we did see one, play Street Fighter X Tekken with it, and then take the above picture. A Capcom rep informed us that this was a prototype, so despite it looking super fresh, the final version might look different.

A quick inspection of the underside revealed a Comic-Con logo, suggesting that we'll learn more about this accessory at the July 21-24 event

Diggin this Arcade stick, can't tell if it's a matte finished or rubber... either way good looks Madcatz.

sooooooo.... which games should i get on the welcome back thing? i already got infamous and little big planet. so its out of wipeout, stardust hd or dead nation?

Dead nation is pretty fun once you get the hang of it.
I'm glad I got infamous and dead nation.
the psp games were all wack no game was good in that selection (I really didn't like LBP and Killzone was confusing to me)

Originally Posted by LanZeR23

Dead nation is pretty fun once you get the hang of it.
I'm glad I got infamous and dead nation.
the psp games were all wack no game was good in that selection (I really didn't like LBP and Killzone was confusing to me)
infamous for the 1st.....

and you convinced me, dead nation for my 2nd game it is!

I downloaded all the games 

use another account for 2 more free games, once its downloading log in to ur main account

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Originally Posted by Hyper

Oh, hell no.

roll.gif

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

swendro88wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that newproduct is a 3d display and not 3Dtv. It's amonitor basically. Still a great price when compared to similarproducts.
Yeah, looks like it's only a display. If they only added a TV tuner and made it at least 32" (with a proportionate increase in price), I'd be having buyer's remorse over my LED TV now.
laugh.gif

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 WAT IN THE G** DAMN !  CANT BREEEEEEEEEF. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

Probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a display and a TV? 
nerd.gif

probably a lack of a tv tuner or coax input and a remote with tv functionality and no speakers but unlike most "display" monitors, the ps "monitor" has speakers and a subwoofer

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

it looks rubberized but its most likely matte

and toine i think the sony 3d screen is 499

Thats the bundled price. Without resistance it should be what 450 probably

NEED HELP

Ok, so i was gonna play black ops today and when i put in the disc, everything was fine until it got to the title screen (the one before the lady is smoking). The screen froze but i could still hear it go to main menu. it can't be the ps3 because i tried all my other games and they're all fine.  has this ever happened to any of you? and how do i fix this?

Originally Posted by king0fthis23

NEED HELP

Ok, so i was gonna play black ops today and when i put in the disc, everything was fine until it got to the title screen (the one before the lady is smoking). The screen froze but i could still hear it go to main menu. it can't be the ps3 because i tried all my other games and they're all fine.  has this ever happened to any of you? and how do i fix this?

Black Ops is an awful port. Things like this happen alot to when I had my copy. All the way to WMD multi-player map freezing my game. Thought the disc may have been scratched, but no. It's just an awfully done game on the PS3.

Originally Posted by TheBaws23

I downloaded all the games 

use another account for 2 more free games, once its downloading log in to ur main account
thats what i did. but i could only get 4 with 2 accounts. too bad i never made 3rd account
laugh.gif

NEED HELP

Stop playing Crap Ops.

NEED HELP

a: wait till MW3

or

b: get the 360 version

Originally Posted by SonOfTony

NEED HELP

a: wait till MW3
or
b: get the 360 version
THIS, sadly 
laugh.gif

They did everyone but the 360players dirty 

I just noticed there's a 360 thread. I'm not trying to start anything but why is this thread so popular compared to it. I'm assuming that most people on NT are from America where the 360's way more popular. I see 721 pages here and 21 pages there. Someone explain

Back
Top Bottom