Pushups. .

_'s be slackin on the pushups.
smh.gif

only when i don't have time to hit the gym. but i usually try to do sets of between 10 - 20 up to 100. i weigh like 220 lol.

I need to get on my grizzly to get in shape.

Since I quit smoking last year for new year's I've gained mad weight and I used to be a skinny dude my whole life.

The Army loves 'em. My step-dad is in the 101st infantry and many of his guys are pretty strong from PT. Some of the big ones lift weights, too.

As a coach I have attended some training seminars and many of them have said to encourage your athletes to do push-ups as part of their daily regimen. Likesomeone above stated, varying your hand position with help isolate different muscle groups.

If you want to add a bunch of mass you have to lift weights. Period. However, daily pushups can greatly increase your muscle stamina which, in turn, improvesthe quality of your muscle and helps you make better gains in the long run with the weights.

I used to make my wrestlers do the following with no rest between sets (in addition to the 100-150 regular push-ups in intervals during practice and other handposition variations):

10 diamonds
20 pull-ups
10 wrist-ups - make fists, put knuckles together, use that as your push-up point

Boy, they loved that.

In addition, we did 20 "concentration" push-ups to start each practice. Use a standard hand position, but do them on your knuckles. Each push-up isdivided into 4 parts- 1/4 up, 1/2 up, 3/4 up, up. I would call out random positions and we did not count one until we had gone from "down" (chest 2inches off the floor) to "up" and back to "down." This will make body and mind strong.

Here is what it would be like (starting from "down"):
1/4
3/4
1/2
3/4
1/4
Up
1/2
Down
That equals 1

You mix it up and it really kicks your butt.

I used to do them but then after HS I started slacking and %!*@ and never got back into it. But After this thread I should get back into it for the new year.

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

When I'm home I do 10 pushups at random times. I could be sitting at the computer and I'll just drop down and do 10. After I digest a meal I do 10. At the end of the day I have at least 10 sets under my belt.

i do the same thing

i do 2 sets of 60 everyday. once in the morning when i wake up (to wake myself up) and once at night (so i can get warmed up for bed
laugh.gif
)

I do 250 a night, in sets of 50, 30-40 second rest in between each. To those who said that they do 10 at random times a day...that really wont help youwhatsoever. You've got to feel the burn which is the muscle tearing to have any growth or development. Just doing 10 here and there will just improve yourform I guess...

I do 100+ 5-6 times a week for tone. I do weight training because you can't get big by just doing push-ups.

You aren't supposed to do them everyday because it doesn't give your muscles time to relax and rebuild from the wear and tear of the previous day. Yourstomach is the only muscle that you can exercise everyday at least that is how I learned it.

is it bad to do pushups on your knuckles? cause i cant bend my wrist more than a couple degrees or else it hurts like hell and swells up. i think i gotbroken bones in it or something.
ohwell.gif

10? My god, don't hurt yourself....

I'm just playing. But for real, why ten? Do at least 20.. 25 is a good number.

Anyone ever do "a deck of cards" ?

You take a deck of shuffled cards and put them face down.
Flip a card over and do number of push ups for the value of the card. 2 for 2, 3 for 3.... king is 14.. joker is 20
The kicker is you have to do a three-technique rotation of normal, wide, and diamond. Now that is a lot of pushups!

It's tough. I've only attempted it 3 times and have only finished it twice. The first attempt I jumped in 2/3 of the way after I saw my roommate do it.
It takes a while... and your arms.. forgettt about it.. they will be more beat than Brittany Spears.

Push ups like many other exercises should build little muscle. However, you have to switch it up, if you do a 100+ push ups every night for to long a period,your muscles will get used to it. As a result, you'll see less results as time goes on. Weight training is the way to go. Keep your muscles guessing,that's how you achieve extraordinary results and gains. Trust me.

p.s. stay away from HGM or Steroids...you may end up on the Mitchell Report..lol

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

is it bad to do pushups on your knuckles? cause i cant bend my wrist more than a couple degrees or else it hurts like hell and swells up. i think i got broken bones in it or something.
ohwell.gif

in karate we do knuckle pushups to strenghten your knuckles and wrist.

Incline DBs > flat push ups
Weighted Push-ups ­­­> Weighted Dips > Incline/Decline/Flat DBs, Incline/Decline/Flat DBs

To anyone weight training 3+ times a week here, raise your hand if you regularly perform Incline/Decline/Flat DBs, Incline/Decline/Flat DBs. I'm 100%that's every single one of you. Do yourself a favor, and switch them for Weighted Push-ups and Weighted Dips. They are a LOT more challenging, and includetwice as many muscle groups than any "lying down on a bench and lifting weights over yourself" ever could. Do them intensivaly next time you hit thegym, and then PM me the next day thanking me if you can still type.

I'd recommend everyone of you to use DB/Barbell Chest Press to ''shock'' your body every once in a while, then go back to Push-ups andDips.

EDIT: And I forgot, do the weighted push ups with your feet + hands elevated on something like chairs, you'll be able to go deeper and you'll feel themthat much more. Do them without any weight right now using chairs, and try to perform as many as you do on the floor you'll see what I mean
wink.gif
(Go as deep as possible, no$@+$#)

i used to bust out about 3-5 sets of 25 throghout the day..
i felt stronger but didnt really do it long enough to "see" results.
Im going to have to start this up again along with lifting weights.
thanks for reminding me.

smh.gif
@ me for slacking.

my freshmen year i had gotten the push up rec nothing close to 10k but we had to do this after everything else (like crunches weights pull ups etc.) 98straight almost had gotten it sof year too but my friend made me laugh and theni supposedly fell and then i ended up with 96 that year and didnt get it but itsok

Back
Top Bottom