QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

Andy Dalton leads the NFL in yards per attempt.

Andy Dalton

he's def got people's eye right now. but let's see how he does versus Seattle and @ Buffalo in the next couple weeks. will be a good test. i know we all joke about the prime time games, but those are two pretty good tests, even tho buffalo bent over for NY yesterday :lol:

Yeah even in years past he never threw it down the field like this though.

It's crazy

But why though? 
laugh.gif
 He didn't suck when they gave him $100M did he?
niners werent stupid enough to hand him 100M.

his contract actually favors the niners, and is incentive based. if they cut him, they dont need to pay him as well.

But why though? :lol:  He didn't suck when they gave him $100M did he?

niners werent stupid enough to hand him 100M.

his contract actually favors the niners, and is incentive based. if they cut him, they dont need to pay him as well.

Over how long of a period? You really think they're in a position to cut him and move forward with Blaine Gabbert?

No, but they're in a position to cut him and move forward with Jared Goff. :smokin

On Sunday, Colts backup quarterback Matthew Hasselbeck targeted tight end Coby Fleener 12 times. Colts tight end Dwayne Allen wants to see more of that from starter Andrew Luck.

“That’s what we need, the ball finding all of our playmakers’ hands,” Allen said Monday, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star.

Allen, who like Fleener is in a contract year, has only three catches on the year. Allen has missed the last two games with a sprained ankle. He apparently thinks the entire offense suffers from a missing identity.

“I think from Tennessee to this week, we looked very different offensively,” Allen said. “We had somewhat better production. But what is our identity? We have all these pieces. It’s like, what are we? Are we a running team? Are we a passing team? Who are the [primary] options? We’re starting to figure out who those guys are and the ball is starting to find those guys.”

It’s not finding its way to Allen because he’s not finding his way to the field. Which is forcing him to base his contract year not on production but potential.

“When I’m on the field, I am a dominant tight end both blocking and receiving,” Allen said.

Saying that isn’t going to get him paid like a dominant tight end. Saying anything that undermines the team’s effort to win games no matter the stats won’t do that, either.

“I think having Matt out there this Sunday and seeing the way he distributed the ball, it was a step in the right direction,” Allen said.

It’s almost as if Allen doesn’t want Luck to get back on the field. Which may not make Luck willing to get the ball in Allen’s hands.

None of it matters for Allen, of course, until Allen can get back on the field. With a short week before Thursday night’s game against the Texans, that will be even harder for Allen.

Hasselbeck. :pimp: Shut Luck down for the year.

Does Allen know Luck has played with Fleener for like 8 years now? :lol:

Allen tryna not see another pass til he joins a new team this summer.

Yeah even in years past he never threw it down the field like this though.

It's crazy

I'll say this...

Even tho we've seen this story in Cincy before... The Bengals look....different...

Particularly Dalton..He looks more in control than ever... He is making throws I've never seen him make... He looks like a winning qb rather than a good qb being carried by a stellar team..

Had a beauty yesterday that was dropped Deep by Jones.. But it was money.

That throw to Ben Tate was gorgeous yesterday and on a rope... A throw i didn't expect him to attempt, yet alone to complete And make look easy...

Most importantly, he's avoiding mistakes...

Im not gonna pretend Dalton's not allowed to be talked about because he lacks playoff success..

It'll come a time this year when he has to win the game, where it's all on him and we can really get a good sense of if he had truly "took that next step"

But so far he's looked like one of the best at hits position so far this year and I think it's worth taking about...

He is making throws with full confidence. Not a worry in the world. And the team has playmakers everywhere to validate that confidence. It's happening, I hate to see it but respect the way the team was built

Of the top QBs over the last 15 years, most sat before starting. Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Palmer, Rivers, etc. #QBDevelopment
— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) October 6, 2015
Will the league ever revert back to this as a whole?

or is the demand to win as soon as possible and HC job security so low they arent afforded the time anymore to wait?

Did I just answer my own question

I really it hope it will one day. It could if they have enough busts. I really wished Jameis could have sat for a year or even two.

It's situational. Guys like Russ and Ben were drafted by teams with elite defenses and running games so they were able to learn on the fly.

Say a QB is drafted by a team like the Browns or Texans tho. Would sitting for a year behind Josh McCown and Ryan Mallett really help? What will those QBs teach a rookie?

It's different for every QB, every situation.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to grow a QB. Everyone grows and learns different.

Some learn faster jumping right in, some learn faster sitting. Too many variables. Who's coaching them? Who are they throwing too? Who blocks for them? Are they behind before they even get the ball?

HC, OC, QB coach, are they ALL on the same page, or pushing different techniques at once?

What were they taught in college? By whom?

Dozens of variables, and everyone tries to shoehorn them into one specific method? Seems shortsighted to me.

Tom Brady isn't who he is if he's drafted 2nd round by the Browns.
Aaron Rodgers isn't who he is if he was drafted by the Jags.

A series of things need to happen to get the best out of each player. No one magical way to create one over and over. It's not an assembly line.

It's situational. Guys like Russ and Ben were drafted by teams with elite defenses and running games so they were able to learn on the fly.

Say a QB is drafted by a team like the Browns or Texans tho. Would sitting for a year behind Josh McCown and Ryan Mallett really help? What will those QBs teach a rookie?
Yeah, I mean you're out of luck there 
laugh.gif
 but as CP mentioned you still have a coaching staff that could have some influence within that redshirt year
It's different for every QB, every situation.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to grow a QB. Everyone grows and learns different.

Some learn faster jumping right in, some learn faster sitting. Too many variables. Who's coaching them? Who are they throwing too? Who blocks for them? Are they behind before they even get the ball?

HC, OC, QB coach, are they ALL on the same page, or pushing different techniques at once?

What were they taught in college? By whom?

Dozens of variables, and everyone tries to shoehorn them into one specific method? Seems shortsighted to me.

Tom Brady isn't who he is if he's drafted 2nd round by the Browns.
Aaron Rodgers isn't who he is if he was drafted by the Jags.

A series of things need to happen to get the best out of each player. No one magical way to create one over and over. It's not an assembly line.
You're right there are alot of variables and situations are different but all QB's a literally being treated the same now, throw them out to the wovlves and see if they can succeed right now...that can work some some..it's just weird to me that a coach probably doesnt even have the faith in his own job security to do it another way if he wanted to.

I know its a crap shoot regardless and I dont remember top QB talent being broader across the board 15-20 years ago, just interesting for everything feels rushed these days in comparison

Last edited:
I see what you're saying Pabs. Fans also set expectations way too high on rookie QBs. Most of the times they're drafted to a squad that won somewhere between 2-4 games, don't have another QB worth a damn on the roster, and the coach is usually on the hot seat.

Hell... that's a good question to bring up. How many of the solid/stud QBs of the last 10-15 years were drafted top 10? I can think of a handful off the top of my head (Rivers, Eli, Luck, Cam, Ryan, Palmer)

Last edited:
Teddy was supposed to sit much longer than he did before Cassel got hurt. I was fine with it, but glad he got there when he did now. It should work out, which is the only why I say that. I still believe there is nothing wrong with sitting these guys behind a journeyman -- who is willing to teach and coach -- for a year, maybe two and go from there.

Teddy was supposed to sit much longer than he did before Cassel got hurt. I was fine with it, but glad he got there when he did now. It should work out, which is the only why I say that. I still believe there is nothing wrong with sitting these guys behind a journeyman -- who is willing to teach and coach -- for a year, maybe two and go from there.

Would sitting MM8 behind Mettenberger and Jaboo behind Glennon really improve them that much though?

Some teams it makes sense. Others... I dunno. Case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying Pabs. Fans also set expectations way too high on rookie QBs. Most of the times they're drafted to a squad that won somewhere between 2-4 games, don't have another QB worth a damn on the roster, and the coach is usually on the hot seat.

Hell... that's a good question to bring up. How many of the solid/stud QBs of the last 10-15 years were drafted top 10? I can think of a handful off the top of my head (Rivers, Eli, Luck, Cam, Ryan, Palmer)
I think that's pretty much it

Had Ben sitting just outside the top 10

[QUOTE url="[URL]https://twitter.com/hashtag/QBDevelopment?src=hash[/URL]"]
Will the league ever revert back to this as a whole?

or is the demand to win as soon as possible and HC job security so low they arent afforded the time anymore to wait?

Did I just answer my own question
[/quote]

I think you need to have an organization that is patient and a good head coach.

Question for advanced stat heads......

Do any of the advanced stat sites track % of sacks above average pocket time?  Like let's say the average of time in the pocket is like 2.8 seconds.  Does anyone track how many sacks are before or after that mark to decide if it was the QB's fault or the line's?

Back
Top Bottom