Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Was Dr. King Schultz really doing Django a service by killing Calvin Candie though?

It was necessary from the context of the movie. Some black people are complaining about how this movie portrays the white man as the savior but Schultz needed to die and kill Candie for Django to go on his rampage and truly save his wife.

but lets not act like they dont have a point sort of. Schultz definitely had to die so that Django could come into his own, but the killing Candie part is the problem. Now you can look at it either 2 ways, as people have posted it makes sense for schultz to kill him, or from the stand point that django is only relegated to killing somewhat minor white characters and the big baddie wasnt his.

but lets not act like they dont have a point sort of. Schultz definitely had to die so that Django could come into his own, but the killing Candie part is the problem. Now you can look at it either 2 ways, as people have posted it makes sense for schultz to kill him, or from the stand point that django is only relegated to killing somewhat minor white characters and the big baddie wasnt his.

I didn't say they didn't have a point. My brother and I both taught Schultz should have control his emotions. If Schultz didn't do what he did, Django would not have gone on his lone ranger type killing spree. And he killed who I thought was one of the more deplorable characters in a final showdown, Stephen. Some of the characters Django killed during the film were far from minor.

I was surprised black people are the ones up in arms about this movie. Its 3hrs of white people looking like evil savages who can't shoot to save their lives. :rofl:
If you wanted to be offended you could get creative and find something to be offended about.

If anything the movie made white folks look comical. The whole "clan" scene was forced but it played into the racist southern whites are idiots. Kerrys character could speak German. Even Leo needed a ***** to explain to him he was being played. Movie almost went out of its way to make the black people more civil & intelligent and the only decent white person was the Schultz.

But of course black folks gotta find a bus to jump in front & play victim.

Saw it again today for the second time, still loved it....no it wasn't a historical piece that's gonna provide a ton of depth but it did have some great symbolism as others have pointed out. It was brutal, realistic, and had some comedic parts as well, all in all its a really good entertaining movie. Samuel L still made me :lol: and :smh: at the same time dude really brought Uncle Ruckus from Boondocks to life I really almost hated his character worse than Candie to be honest but he was also a victim of the overall slavery complex...self hating house slave to the extreme :smh:

That Klan scene was still hilarious :lol:

Last edited:
If you wanted to be offended you could get creative and find something to be offended about.
If anything the movie made white folks look comical. The whole "clan" scene was forced but it played into the racist southern whites are idiots. Kerrys character could speak German. Even Leo needed a ***** to explain to him he was being played. Movie almost went out of its way to make the black people more civil & intelligent and the only decent white person was the Schultz.

Schultz was the only civil white character in the whole film. My man big daddy was clearly Colonel Sander. All the white henchmen/slave overseers were getting outwit by Django. And like you said Candie was getting played and needed to be saved. The KKK should be protesting this movie.

Last edited:
One question. Why have Candie oblivious to the charade?

I can't argue a word you typed here, but my point was coming from Stephen messing up their story, and chasin down Hilda trying to get to the bottom of it. Then pulling Candie out of the dining room, so he could expose them.

Why have Candie completely fooled, them almost getting away with it, only to have a slave stop Django? (for the time being at least)

Has to be more than just helping out his owner, right?

Iono. The way I figure, Candie really is inhuman and unfeeling. He never for the life of him would've expected or understood why a white man would want to help a freed slave, let alone one of his fellow 'Europeans.' He just figured they're both in the flesh for money business. He doesn't see black people as real humans, so taking their feelings and wants into consideration are the last thing that concerns him.

But that's why Stephen is worse. Stephen knows. He's black. He's always been there. He knows that people like Candie are wrong. It isn't something he forgot. It's like the skull with the bumps. It's something he intellectualized and replaced in his mind with ugliness. That's the slavery of the mind. He lives in respect of white people and hatred of blacks. So much respect that every fabric of his being is one big act to make white people feel better, down to the limp in his step and the drawl in his voice. He knows. There's no excuse he's telling himself, nothing. Just these ******* ain't **** and don't ever forget it. Take away the whips and chains and he'll still believe. And it's not like Candie's black bride. He ain't uppity or acting white. He has everything he needs to be something meaningful to other black people, because he's obviously intelligent and he's a much better actor than Django. This is just the choice he made, either because he lost all hope a long time ago or Stockholm syndrome, but because of that he's an even more cruel villain.

Remember Die Hard? At the end of the day, it turned out they were doing it all for money? They weren't terrorists or freedom fighters, they were thieves...businessman. And the people they happened to hurt or kill along the way...collateral damage. Cost of doing business. Candie's a businessman that lost his humanity. And...at the end of the day, it was the Southern economy that made American slavery.

But Stephen had nothing to gain...not really. What's there to gain interrogating Broomhilda in the kitchen? He had nothing to lose. So what if Django gets away with it? What's that to him?

That's the thing. Stephen was after the exact same thing that Candie was after. Stephen thinks he's so damn smart. Smarter than all these ******* let themselves become slaves...smarter than all of the white folk who own them too. They ain't even smart enough to know how to hurt Django right. No, Stephen thinks he's got the whole game figured out and he wants validation. And he gets that validation from Candie, the most high class white man around. That's why he meets him in the library sipping wine. Because he thinks this puts him on Candie's level now. He thinks that makes him a special negro. He's the worst kind, because that's all he wants. That's his own singing and dancing.

And he knows. He knows what black people are and he doesn't care, because what's the point in measuring yourself against black folk? The ugliness is that the shackles could be gone, but his mentality never will be. And to this day, that mentality is still there. Those are the lines that divide black people from the different black immigrants to section 8 black people, to college-educated black people, to black entertainers to country black people to nerdy white-sounding black people to hood black people. It's like the tower of Babel.

But look in Django Unchained...Australian, Southern-gentleman, no-tooth inbred looking, German, blue-collar...it's all the same. They all speak the same language and there's no tension or animosity between them. But black people...we get a sampling of every type and none of them speak or act the same. And all of them take on the labels white people have given them as if to create their own caste system. The uppity black chick, thinks she's god's gift...thinks she's not even black. The house slaves are better than comfort slaves...the comfort slaves are better than the field slaves...the field slaves are better than the runaways. The mandingos are better than most of them, so long as they don't die or run.

That's why Big Daddy has to explain how to treat Django. That slave girl had to ask him where he was on the caste system, because it ain't up to black people to decide the worth of other black people is. It's up to white people. And guys like Stephen...well they're the cream of the crop. And that's the face of self-division. That's anti-solidarity and self-hate at its worse.

So Django gives him what he wants. He's the big boss, the king of the castle, last man alive in the big white house before it blows.

What about the sister? How she was killed. I don't even know what her guilt was other than going along with her brother, but she got blasted all to hell. :lol: Anything to that?

Yea. I really wanna watch her closely again. Iono if it was to say, well she's a woman with sensibility, she should know better? No idea. :lol: Her death was awesome, though. Props to Quentin for managing to pull that off and have people laugh at it.

This movie...uh...wasn't too good with its females. :lol:

Last edited:
There was another decent white character, the guy who had the cabin when Django and King while they were hunting. He called Django by his name and even offered to share his birthday cake.

The sister seemed decent enough, but she lived a life of great luxury and that came off the backs of slaves. I laughed and laughed when she flew away

Last edited:

EXACTLY!! I never felt Django or any of the slaves were inferior in this movie. As soon as he was set free he swagged out and became greater than his teacher.

Do you guys remember the scene where the women slaves were preparing the house for the dinner. Even as slaves the movie depicted them as hard working and very skilled. They set that table with coordination and precision. They were good at what they did and had a sense of pride in themselves and their work. The black women in the movie were all more clean and attractive than Calvin Candie's sister. It was an underlying theme that the white mean secretly lusted after the black women in this movie.

Last edited:
EXACTLY!! I never felt Django or any of the slaves were inferior in this movie. As soon as he was set free he swagged out and became greater than his teacher.
Do you guys remember the scene where the women slaves were preparing the house for the dinner. Even as slaves the movie depicted them as hard working and very skilled. They set that table with coordination and precision. They were good at what they did and had a sense of pride in themselves and their work. The black women in the movie were all more clean and attractive than Calvin Candie's sister. It was an underlying theme that the white mean secretly lusted after the black women in this movie.

The dynamic between Candie's sister and the other female slaves were weird, I sensed a little envy in her body language. :nerd:

The black women in the movie were all more clean and attractive than Calvin Candie's sister. It was an underlying theme that the white mean secretly lusted after the black women in this movie.

Yea. I thought they were implying that Candie was holding down that black chick who didn't do anything but lounge and dress fancy...and that he was smanging his sister too? Or did I just make that up in my head. :lol:

Last edited:
So MrO, you are seein where I was comin from with the Stephen angle?

J, the guy in the cabin was a cop I believe, Marshall or somethin similar. Think he was payin the bounty.

Yea and no. Stephen was just helping his owner. But that's cuz his owner is the highest level white person he's met and white people matter (and black people don't) to him.

Last edited:
The dynamic between Candie's sister and the other female slaves were weird, I sensed a little envy in her body language. :nerd:
Yea. I thought they were implying that Candie was holding down that black chick who didn't do anything but lounge and dress fancy...and that he was smanging his sister too? Or did I just make that up in my head. :lol:

Naw I got that vibe too. Calvin was definitely doing something with his sister and the black girls which showed up in certain scenes in the movie.

Hell, all of the affluent white men in town went to a brothel called Cleopatra to have sex with black women. I laughed out loud at the bleached or "white" Cleopatra bust that was shown as soon as they entered into the building. Quentin Tarantino put a lot of little details in this movie to tell a lot of small side stories.

He didn't rub his real blood on her. There was a break in the shot and they fixed his hand and had fake blood

Where did you find this out and if he said he didn't stop because he was rolling per his words then beginning and ending where? I'm just curious.

Sooo I just finished watching it for the 3rd time.

Some of the perceived "maintaining of white superemacy" doesn't make sense. No disrespect to anyone but I don't think alot of people paid enough attention to catch what was going on.

The notion that Tariq brought up about candie's tirade was really how white people felt was subtlety blown apart when King brought up that the author of the 3 Musktateers was black. During Candie's rant he specifically mentioned that blacks lack creative genius which is why he got so tight about the author.

Candie was powerful but he was presented as a stupid, inbred, sadistic bastard. Am I the only person that thought Candie literally looked like Satan?

I loved how Django's pursuit of his wife was so pure. I hate that this is the first blockbuster movie that presents the love between a black couple in that light.

The only part of the movie that bothered me was Steven, call me lame but I hated that this movie came down two black men killing each other.

^3 times...yoooooo :lol: :smokin
Forgot about that 3 Musketeers scene, though. Good look.
And I get how, after all that buildup, in the heart of the racist South, an ex-slave gotta kill another slave. Kinda backwards in principle.

Pet monkey, though? :lol:

So fooling those Australian slavers into freeing him and giving him a gun was following orders?

Weebey

Last edited:
[h1]Sacha Baron Cohen Chose 'Les Miserables' Over 'Django Unchained,' Explains What His Small Role Would Have Been[/h1]by Kevin Jagernauth
January 3, 2013 3:55 PM

04786636.JPG

Most actors would kill to have the kind of "Sophie's Choice" decision Sacha Baron Cohen was faced with about a year ago. Way back in the fall of 2011, it was reported that the comic actor had boarded Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained." But six months later, the actor had dropped out (one of a handful who came and went -- like Kevin Costner, Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Anthony LaPaglia -- as the film's production grew longer and longer). So, what gives? Well, it looks like a meatier role coupled with a tight deadline forced him out.

"I was editing 'The Dictator' and we were very close to release and Paramount wouldn’t push the date. And then I knew I’d have to jump straight from there into 'Les Mis[erables]' and it basically became a choice of either pulling out of 'Les Mis' or pulling out of 'Django,' " the actor told Deadline. "I’m sure 'Django' is an incredible movie, but it was essentially one scene." (Cohen also said last spring that the press tour for "The Dictator" was also problematic for scheduling).

So who was he going to play? "It was a character by the name of Scotty, whom Leonardo DiCaprio’s character plays a poker game with. The stakes become Scotty’s slave girl, Broomhilda," he said. But there's a bit more to it than that. It was a rather long, tangential flashback explaining how Broomhilda was sold to DiCaprio's Calvin Candie in the first place. The character was Scotty Harmony, who in early drafts was an overweight 24-year-old who comes into possession of Broomhilda thanks to his father, who buys her for him, to help boost his confidence. Harmony's also deeply enarmored by her, and this whole sequence tries to display another ugly secret of the racism of the south: the white men had no problems having black girlfriends known as Ponys in their underground clubs. Whether or not this is another historical fabrication of Tarantino's -- we haven't researched it enough -- it sure sounds like it. And as you know by now, the character and the scene didn't wind up making the final film anyway.

So did Cohen make the right choice? He's certainly bringing some much needed life and levity to "Les Miserables" in theaters now, and the audience we saw the movie with loved his take on "Master Of The House." But either way, 'Django' seems to be doing just fine without him.

Saw it yesterday and if I knew there was a Klan scene i probably wouldn't have went. One of my biggest fears.

The movie was really good. I left pissed w/Sam Jackson's ol Uncle Ruckus ***.

Kerry Washington is everything

I didn't really get the comfort girl thing. Was that something that really happneded? I've never heard of it. They looked and lived so nice.

Sheba was damn near his lady except she didn't eat dinner with them. Thats the only way I knew she wasn't his wife or something.

Last edited:
Just came back from it. People who are getting offended are way too @#$@$@ sensitive and need to man up.

The entire movie showed black people in a good light (besides Sam Jackson :lol:) yet the film is racist towards blacks? OK :rolleyes

Not saying they should, but if sensitive white people complained about the film portraying them in a negative light, it would make more sense. 90% of the white characters were hicks with no intelligence and severe tooth decay :lol:

Sam Jackson was definitely the most loathsome character in the movie. What's worse, someone who is unashamedly racist mistreating you, or someone who is supposed to be on your side (a fellow slave) betraying you?

Last edited:
What's worse, someone who is unashamedly racist mistreating you, or someone who is supposed to be on your side (a fellow slave) betraying you?
Again...another person who doesn't understand the dynamic of the slave master and a house *****. 

Back
Top Bottom