Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Saw it yesterday and if I knew there was a Klan scene i probably wouldn't have went. One of my biggest fears.

The movie was really good. I left pissed w/Sam Jackson's ol Uncle Ruckus ***.

Kerry Washington is everything

I didn't really get the comfort girl thing. Was that something that really happneded? I've never heard of it. They looked and lived so nice.

Sheba was damn near his lady except she didn't eat dinner with them. Thats the only way I knew she wasn't his wife or something.

Lol at a grown woman being scared of the KKK. Grow up already.

Spike Lee is a hypocrite. He's made a career of stereotyping and casting a negative light on Italian American characters in his films (Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Summer of Sam, etc)

Spike Lee on Django: “I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. The only thing I can say is, it’s disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film.”

Pleeeeease. He triggers the same controversy in his portrayal of Italian Americans as racists, goons, crooked, guido, mafioso, and violent. When it comes to casting Italians, he's no better than the idiots that produced Jersey Shore.

Spike Lee is a hypocrite. He's made a career of stereotyping and casting a negative light on Italian American characters in his films (Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Summer of Sam, etc)
Spike Lee on Django: “I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. The only thing I can say is, it’s disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film.”
Pleeeeease. He triggers the same controversy in his portrayal of Italian Americans as racists, goons, crooked, guido, mafioso, and violent. When it comes to casting Italians, he's no better than the idiots that produced Jersey Shore.
Where is the parallel here for you to call him a hypocrite for that?

Spike Lee didn't say he had a problem with the portrayal of Black people in Django. He said the movie itself is disrespectful to his ancestors...meaning the idea of creating a spaghetti western with a ton of humor in it using slavery as the backdrop is disrespectful.

You might have a point if Spike Lee said "I don't like the way that black people are being portrayed in the film". 

But he didnt...

I do find your comment about the type casting of " Italian Americans as racists, goons, crooked, guido, mafioso, and violent" from Spike Lee kind of funny tho. Considering damn near every mob movie and TV show did the same and last time I checked Spike Lee didn't produce any of them.

Last edited:
So who was he going to play? "It was a character by the name of Scotty, whom Leonardo DiCaprio’s character plays a poker game with. The stakes become Scotty’s slave girl, Broomhilda," he said. But there's a bit more to it than that. It was a rather long, tangential flashback explaining how Broomhilda was sold to DiCaprio's Calvin Candie in the first place. The character was Scotty Harmony, who in early drafts was an overweight 24-year-old who comes into possession of Broomhilda thanks to his father, who buys her for him, to help boost his confidence. Harmony's also deeply enarmored by her, and this whole sequence tries to display another ugly secret of the racism of the south: the white men had no problems having black girlfriends known as Ponys in their underground clubs. Whether or not this is another historical fabrication of Tarantino's -- we haven't researched it enough -- it sure sounds like it. And as you know by now, the character and the scene didn't wind up making the final film anyway.

That's it!!! That's the scene I was referring to in my first post. This entire scene was missing from the script, I just figured it was edited to shorten the film in some way, Candie didn't just happen to have Hilda, he dueled with someone else to acquire her in the middle. Nice work O, I had no idea that was going to be Borat. :lol:

^3 times...yoooooo :lol: :smokin
Forgot about that 3 Musketeers scene, though. Good look.
And I get how, after all that buildup, in the heart of the racist South, an ex-slave gotta kill another slave. Kinda backwards in principle.

Pet monkey, though? :lol:

So fooling those Australian slavers into freeing him and giving him a gun was following orders?

Weebey

QT is my favorite director man, outside of Grindhouse I always OD on his movies in the theaters

Its crazy, I'm the black guy that looks for racism in movies and tv and the things people are getting tight about just doesn't make sense to me.

Tavis Smiley Verified

@tavissmiley

Django Unchained --- a spoof on slavery: Hollywood's Christmas gift for Negroes. Thanks, you shouldn't have.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment...how in any way was the slavery aspect of this movie spoofed?? I swear some of these "conscious" black authors, entertainers, etc. went into this movie WANTING to be offended. Like I cringed at the whippings, the dog part, and Sam's character reallly captured the dynamic of being a house slave. There was nothing whatsoever funny about the way the slavery portions of this movie were presented. In fact quite the opposite if anything it made the slave owners, clan people seem extremely idiotic and clueless imo. Hell even Stephen was the one who noticed the eyes Hildy was giving Django and explained the whole dynamic to Candie. Candie couldn't even speak french yet lived in some fantasy wherein he was "Monsieur Candie" :lol: Hildy could speak a foreign language and was depicted as a strong black woman meanwhile the sister almost seemed amazed that she had that kind of intelligence and her brother would get offended if Schulz tried to speak french with him. Django was clearly an extremely intelligent man and driven by love for his wife.....like I don't understand what these people were expecting going into the film. Smh QT even brought up the little known fact about Dumas being part black, which a majority of people didn't even know about, let alone the way Hollywood talks about the 3 Musketeers.

Last edited:
Just about every kill he makes he has a one liner to say django was a bit kept man y'all gotta come to terms with it.

Spike Lee didn't say he had a problem with the portrayal of Black people in Django. He said the movie itself is disrespectful to his ancestors...meaning the idea of creating a spaghetti western with a ton of humor in it using slavery as the backdrop is disrespectful.

You might have a point if Spike Lee said "I don't like the way that black people are being portrayed in the film". 

But he didnt...

I do find your comment about the type casting of " Italian Americans as racists, goons, crooked, guido, mafioso, and violent" from Spike Lee kind of funny tho. Considering damn near every mob movie and TV show did the same and last time I checked Spike Lee didn't produce any of them.

Yea, Im not sure why people keep putting words in spikes mouth. All he said was basically slvery wasnt a sergio leone western. He didnt say anything about the "excessive" use of the n-word in django etc

I might be late with this but James Remar played two characters in Django. Irony is that his first character was killed by Schultz. Schultz is later killed by his 2nd character. Why did he play two characters?

If you knew the history between QT and Spike, you'd understand. He's criticized QT on numerous occasions for the use of the 'N' word in his films. He catches feelings because a white man has the gall to produce a film in which the word is repeatedly used. Now he's saying Django is disrespectful to black people.

He's upset at the portrayal and behavior of blacks in a white director's film, yet for years anti Italian defamation groups have called him out for his portrayal of whites. That's why he is a hypocrite. Did he ever condemn the Hughes brothers or John Singleton for the 'N' word being used too much?

This isn't about that though. This is about Spike being a hypocrite. Besides, shows like the Sopranos have taken tons of flack from groups for promoting stereotypes.

It's a black and white issue with Spike apparently. His feelings are hurt because a Caucasian took on a "black" / slavery project he feels is disrespectful towards his ancestors. But in his eyes, he can disrespect Italian Americans in his films and it's all good. Meanwhile, dozens of "hood" movies come out littered with the 'N' word and he doesn't say ****.

I might be late with this but James Remar played two characters in Django. Irony is that his first character was killed by Schultz. Schultz is later killed by his 2nd character. Why did he play two characters?

I caught that too, but not sure why he actually did it. He's the only one to play multiple roles in the movie so it's not like they lacked extras or something.

:lol:..Seeing CelticsFan9783 sig while talking about Spike reminds me of this scene in Do The Right Thing for some reason...

If you knew the history between QT and Spike, you'd understand. He's criticized QT on numerous occasions for the use of the 'N' word in his films. He catches feelings because a white man has the gall to produce a film in which the word is repeatedly used. Now he's saying Django is disrespectful to black people.

He's upset at the portrayal and behavior of blacks in a white director's film, yet for years anti Italian defamation groups have called him out for his portrayal of whites. That's why he is a hypocrite. Did he ever condemn the Hughes brothers or John Singleton for the 'N' word being used too much?

This isn't about that though. This is about Spike being a hypocrite. Besides, shows like the Sopranos have taken tons of flack from groups for promoting stereotypes.

It's a black and white issue with Spike apparently. His feelings are hurt because a Caucasian took on a "black" / slavery project he feels is disrespectful towards his ancestors. But in his eyes, he can disrespect Italian Americans in his films and it's all good. Meanwhile, dozens of "hood" movies come out littered with the 'N' word and he doesn't say ****.

once again, your putting words in his mouth. Regardless of history, what he said was its disrespectful to his ancestors ie. slaves to have a film such as this

You are definitely putting words in his mouth 
laugh.gif

I do know the history of the two...but in THIS specific instance about Django Unchained...Spike Lee said that the film is disrespectful to his ancestors and that slavery wasn't a spaghetti western. 

Please quote him where he says anything about the portrayal of blacks in the film.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
I caught that too, but not sure why he actually did it. He's the only one to play multiple roles in the movie so it's not like they lacked extras or something.

I want to dig further on this. There's gotta be a reason.

Again...another person who doesn't understand the dynamic of the slave master and a house *****. 

How am I not understanding? There were multiple scenes and dialogues where they were talking about the "worst type of *****", which included black slavers and house slaves. Did you not see the hatred in the fighters' eyes when they saw Django talking to them like he himself was a white man?

I've experienced racism from both other ethnicities and my own due to being mixed, and I know for damn sure it's 10x worse when it's my own people doing the @#$@ talking. So imagine how Django (someone who is used to being mistreated by whites) felt towards Sam Jackson's character, someone who went out of his way to betray his race. Candie was a disgusting human being but he clearly wasn't the main villain. Sam Jackson was the one with the intelligence and the one controlling every situation

Last edited:
You are definitely putting words in his mouth :lol:

I do know the history of the two...but in THIS specific instance about Django Unchained...Spike Lee said that the film is disrespectful to his ancestors and that slavery wasn't a spaghetti western. 

Please quote him where he says anything about the portrayal of blacks in the film.

I'll wait.

I don't see how I'm putting words in his mouth though. Isn't he essentially talking about portrayal, in so many words? He's saying that slavery wasn't a spaghetti western, i.e black slaves are being falsely portrayed as part of this outlandishly violent culture as seen in Italian Westerns.

In the past he has criticized Tarantino for the 'N' word, Clint Eastwood, George Lucas...it's clear he's just using whatever he can to go at white directors in their portrayal of African Americans or lack thereof in film.

The sad thing is, it's a fiction. No need to attack a story based on fake life.

He cries foul, but it's like the pot calling the kettle black because he draws similar reactions when he deals with Italian Americans in his work.

[h1]Spike Lee’s Dissing of ‘Django Unchained’ Earns Both Ire and Indifference[/h1]Jan 4, 2013 4:45 AM EST

[h4]The director’s harsh criticism of Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained earned him both scorn and yawns. By Allison Samuels.[/h4]

When director Spike Lee publicly criticized Quentin Tarantino’s slavery-themed film Django Unchained last week, the real surprise for some was that anyone was actually shocked. As one prominent female African-American actress noted, Lee “always goes after Tarantino. So I expected that from him. I wasn’t surprised.”

1357292762427.cached.jpg

Others, including African-American director Antoine Fuqua, were less charitable. “That’s not the way you do things,” Fuqua said of Lee’s two very public swipes at the Tarantino film. “If you disagree with the way a colleague did something, you call him up, invite him for coffee, talk about it. But don’t do it publicly.”

Lee (School Daze, Do The Right Thing) has long championed a more balanced view of African-American life on the big screen and has been an outspoken opponent of anyone he deemed unwilling to follow suit, including such industry power figures as Clint Eastwood and George Lucas. The New York filmmaker has been a particular—and frequent—critic of Tarantino’s work, repeatedly taking issue with Tarantino’s casual use of the “N” word in such films as Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

The story of a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) turned bounty hunter on a mission to rescue his wife (Kerry Washington) from an evil plantation owner, Django Unchained features the “N” word more than 100 times.

In a recent interview with Vibe, Lee said of the film, “I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. The only thing I can say is, it’s disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film.”

The weekend before Django opened on Christmas Day, Lee bluntly reiterated his displeasure with the film on Twitter: “American Slavery was not a Sergio Leone Spaghetti western. It was a Holocaust. My ancestors are slaves. Stolen from Africa. I will honor them.”

Several African-American scholars have publicly agreed with Lee’s response to the film. But most members of the black Hollywood community have remained tight lipped and stone-faced regarding Django, which earned $15 million dollars on Christmas Day and seems a sure bet for several Oscar nods.

“I am surprised Spike commented in the first place,” said Fred Mwangaguhunga, editor of Media Takeout, the popular African-American entertainment website. “When you speak out against Django, you’re not only speaking out against Tarantino, a director who is known for hiring black actors, but you’re also speaking out against a studio which is looking to recoup the millions of dollars it put up for the film. I respect Spike for speaking his mind, but it’s like career suicide to speak out against the multiple investors and backers of this film. I don’t think it was a good idea for Spike to go there.”

One well-known African-American film actress echoed similar sentiments regarding Lee’s comments. “Whatever I thought about the film, I’d never blast Tarantino in that way,” she said. “He at least casts black women in his films, which is more than I can say for most white male directors and sometimes many black ones—I like Spike but he isn’t employing a lot of us now. Tarantino at least seems to care enough about black actors to include us in his films. Why look a gift horse in the mouth?”

[h4]“I would have had more respect for Spike if he’d attacked Spielberg for not mentioning Frederick Douglass in Lincoln,” she added. “That was a real story about a real event. Django was pure fiction—fun fiction that I kinda enjoyed in the end.”[/h4]

Fuqua, director of the Denzel Washington film Training Day, chastised Lee not only for the way he attacked Tarantino but for the gist of his criticism as well. “I haven’t seen the film, so I can’t speak specifically,” he said, “but we’re supposed to find some truth in films, and if a film is set in the 1850s, you’re going to hear the word n——-, because that’s the way they spoke then.”

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Spike always thinks he needs to lead the conversation, like it's still 1989 and he's the only voice out there. :smh: There are a hundred known talking heads out there, with a thousand on deck screaming for attention. There's only 1 of you.

Every. ******g. Time.

He always does the same thing. And he always takes the most simplistic, easy to shoot down stance. Any NTer coulda said what he said. And you see his point. You do. There's something there that is disappointing that a Tarantino homage film is the best something as serious as American slavery can get, when something that was 1/100th as bad, The Holocaust, gets more reverence in film than Jesus....and a real dialogue on it would've have been something healthy and constructive. But it's Spike, so all we get is a sucker punch and then he ducks all the negative media response.

But look at the consequence. And I get...the media baits him for a response to every controversial black anything. But not only does he set himself back, the 'biggest' black director in Hollywood, he simplifies the conversation and makes it easier for the idiots to knock down the whole "this is disrespectful" side of the argument. He does wrong by everyone and always makes a martyr of himself for not a damn reason.

There's 1 of him and he should know better. He didn't say one ******g special thing. At. All. That's like Jay-Z calling Lil Wayne gay. Why? What for? What do you have to gain? Was anyone else not gonna say it? Are you somehow in a better position having said it? And unless you're telling me that Bamboozled or Miracle at St. Anna had more of an impact on the racial dialogue in American than Django, then by all means. It's fine when you shoot down Tyler Perry, because it was damn time black cinema as a whole drew a line between him and everyone else. But forget you if you think you can keep beating the Do the Right Thing drum. That movie's as old as I am and it's sad if it's been 20 years since the greatest black director had an impact on the American consciousness.

Who saw Red Hook Summer? Who even knows what Red Hook Summer is?

Spike the celebrity is much better at keeping in the headlines than Spike the filmmaker, and that's supposed to be the best we got right there. :smh:

Last edited:
If anyone hasn't seen the interview Tarantino did on the Howard Stern show when he was promoting Django you should check it out. Tarantino mentions the first time they shot a scene that involved a slave woman being beaten made him actually start crying on set because of the context of the scene and that it was shot on an actual slave plantation and those things actually happened there. I never really bought the whole "he's exploiting slavery" thing because even with the use of the N-word in his earlier films, Tarantino has always given mad respect to African-American culture. Off-topic but I also read somewhere his mom dated Wilt Chamberlain :lol:

I like how cats dismiss Spike Lee yet dont know how much he struggles to get his films made. I hate yall clowns.This guy fights an uphil battle against hollywood yet folks crap on the guy like he doesnt know what really goes down.

Spike just jelly. Idc man. I'm tired of this man.

It's a ****** movie. Not a documentary on slavery. This is the way QT is! He makes movies his own way. Thats why I'm surprised Spike is so mad about it. He's the only prominent black dude in hollywood thats upset. Hmm i wonder why..

I respect Spike and his contribution to film making, but he sounds like a jealous female.

I'm black btw

I like how cats dismiss Spike Lee yet dont know how much he struggles to get his films made. I hate yall clowns.This guy fights an uphil battle against hollywood yet folks crap on the guy like he doesnt know what really goes down.

He has made 3 times as many movies as Quentin Tarantino though...

^ Exactly. Cats in here acting like Spike isnt able to make films.

QT is just that dude man. Simple as that

Does this make things harder or easier on him? I'm crapping on him, because he doesn’t know how to fall back and think before he speaks. He's not anyone and this WILL make it harder for him. You're telling me he hadn't been in Hollywood for 25 years? That a $100 million serious (unless you wanna tell me this was a comedy), mostly black film, that's not some Tyler Perry crap, couldn't give him leverage towards making more ambitious movies, then I don't know what to say to you.

You're saying, someone had to say it, and it's hard for him to get films made. He didn't need to be a part of this like Fuqua said, but he just can't help himself. When is he gonna learn? All the name recognition in the world, the ability to really get hype under something, but his big mouth. Every time. So that when he has something to promote, the media is extra biased against him, cuz he always needs to get his shots in, when there are so many voices out there to do the heavy lifting for him. Just like when he got at Clint Eastwood over Flags of our Fathers, and then Miracle at St. Anna did not a damn thing.

But hey, at least he kept it real. :smh:

I'm done holding out hope for dude. I remember really thinking that Inside Man and When the Levees Broke 1-2 were gonna push him up to the next level, but it's always something. And it ain't just me, these are his peers asking him why he needed to stick his neck out for basically nothing like that.

When you do that ****, you stop being a director. You can be an auteur, you can have your own style, likes, preferences, whatever. But when he needs to put himself out front and center like this, but still work inside the Hollywood system..he stops being a director, and just becomes a celebrity. And suddenly anything he tries to make with mostly black people turns into propaganda or unrefined 90's leftovers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom