Question for my HR people...

Long story short..

I work in a SOC in the dmv...(cybersecurity)

-We got a new supervisor beginning of this year.
-A manager was hired, from the outside, by our new supervisor. He started in march of this year.
( Eventually, it came out that these two are bffs. They have pics together on social media and it appears that the new hiree/managet always gets his way)
- I got promoted to manager in may.

Now heres the dilema...the new hiree/manwger doesnt know SQUAT about what we do...even to THIS DAY! I was instructed to train him...he never showed up on time nor would he actually TRY to learn. No matter what dude cant comprehend what we do. Also me being a young 28 y/o and hes a 45 year old dude is making it hard in the sense where "he knows it all"

I brought this up to my supervisor, and I called him out on it. Supervisor said fine, its all good and took me off the task.

Now I am finding out that he wont show up to shifts sometimes, even if he does show up he will come hours later, hell take longer breaks, etc. Its obvious hes comfortable because of his close relationship to the supervisor. This dude is supposed to be a manager but hes a ignorant, arrogant, pos.

My company has a whistle blower system but I have this fear that itll come back to me. It can be proved, because we use ID cards to enter the building...they can see who came in and what time. My relationship with the supervisor is good and I dont want to ruin it. I did be fair and brought it up to him but it seems like no action is being taken...hence the "comfortability"
I need this job, got lucky with it and I actually like it.

I guess im looking for some guidance here..leave it alone...let karma handle this or I take action and see what happens?

upload_2018-10-29_7-28-50.jpeg

Just be happy that you were made a manager as well. This type of thing goes on everywhere. The person that got him hired already knew that this is how the situation was going to be, which is why they put the two of you on task together. You're supposed to pick up his slack. Just be careful.. you might be the one that ends up getting fired with someone who's more "compliant" replacing you

Well im safe from being fired imo.

I have emails. Like one showing that im trying to make a time and date set, but the fellow manager didnt respond to it.

I feel like the supervisor thinks i dont know about the whistleblower...like he underestimated me and my knowledge. Lololol

get your money and go home stay outta the way. The young guy pretty much always loses in these office politics scenarios. Im the only aa male in my whole firm these ppl barely know anything other than my favorite color is orange and I like to hoop in my spare time. I just collect the bag in go home f what anyone else is doing

just make sure to CYA (in everything) and keep getting your ends to pay those bills. If need be, start sending that resume out if you think he's gonna make you miserable at work, it's not worth it IMO. I've been in your shoes before b

If need be, start sending that resume out if you think he's gonna make you miserable at work,

i was just bout to add this in

For people I have mentored in the past I always tell them as long as it doesn’t directly effect you put your head down and grind and always have a second out.

It sounds like you are doing it but document, document, and document. If it goes down the route and you have to file a wrongful termination suit you want to have as much documentation as you can.

Everyone has incompetent people who don't deserve to be in the correct position at their jobs. I'm an officer in the Navy, and on my first ship we had a completely incompetent Junior officer who only got to where he was because his dad was a retired two-star Admiral.

The entire 2 years who's on the ship he never learned a single thing, showed up late to work, etc. But guess what? He still got his Warfare qualification and still had a successful tour. More than likely this guy is going to have a long career when in all likelihood he's taking the position from someone a lot more qualified. That's just life though.

It all depends on how far you want to take this. Is this primarily because you're just in your feelings and you don't like it? Is he hurting the organization as whole or are you just annoyed?

Also, regarding your company's of whistleblower system. Does it work? I know plenty of organizations that have similar programs but at the end of the day it's still very easy to find out who the informant is. Getting this guy in trouble or getting him fired probably isn't worth you potentially getting in trouble or getting fired.

Honestly, my snap judgment is to tell you to just keep it moving. More than likely you're still going to have to supply some type of evidence to show this guy is incompetent through unqualified for his position. Are you prepared to do that?

Snitch them out.

Get them both out.

Gather all the evidence.

Stay quiet and don’t alert anyone of what’s going on.

Made videos and get paper work copies or pictures.

Once you’ve gathered all of the evidence, present it to HR.

If all fails, sell P on Instagram since backpage is down.

This isn't uncommon at all. If it doesn't interfere with your work, don't get bothered by it. Other coworkers notice, even if it isn't being said; more will take notice as time goes on. It'll probably reach the point where his buddy can't take it either and then action is taken.

are you somehow being handed more work due to this situation? if not why does any of that involve you

Yeah.
-When I was assigned to train him i took my time and organized my shift accordingly to make time for him.
-When working on tickets and stuff, he has no clue what to do so it goes to the nxt shift meaning that ticket will be open for hours which makes us look bad. So extra work when working on tickets.
-he generally is holding us back all together.

Everyone has incompetent people who don't deserve to be in the correct position at their jobs. I'm an officer in the Navy, and on my first ship we had a completely incompetent Junior officer who only got to where he was because his dad was a retired two-star Admiral.

The entire 2 years who's on the ship he never learned a single thing, showed up late to work, etc. But guess what? He still got his Warfare qualification and still had a successful tour. More than likely this guy is going to have a long career when in all likelihood he's taking the position from someone a lot more qualified. That's just life though.

It all depends on how far you want to take this. Is this primarily because you're just in your feelings and you don't like it? Is he hurting the organization as whole or are you just annoyed?

Also, regarding your company's of whistleblower system. Does it work? I know plenty of organizations that have similar programs but at the end of the day it's still very easy to find out who the informant is. Getting this guy in trouble or getting him fired probably isn't worth you potentially getting in trouble or getting fired.

Honestly, my snap judgment is to tell you to just keep it moving. More than likely you're still going to have to supply some type of evidence to show this guy is incompetent through unqualified for his position. Are you prepared to do that?

Never done the program, just found out about it.

Im coolin, hes the least of my worries.
I just dont like how he does as he pleases...not fair. But ima keep my mouth shut he aint worth the headache

Wow completely missed the part where you work in IT... oh boy.. definity leave this guy alone.. IF there is one profession RIFE with favortism and incompetence it's IT.. just make sure your name isn't on any of his tickets as well.. Don't worry in a month or two he'll hire someone to do all of his work for him

When working on tickets and stuff, he has no clue what to do so it goes to the nxt shift meaning that ticket will be open for hours which makes us look bad. So extra work when working on tickets.
Sounds like an easy fix with proper communication. Either way, you're up against politics and nepotism here, you won't win a behind the scenes battle. Unless he's stressing you out, leave it be, and document everything. #1 Rule of IT is undefeated, CYA (Cover your ***).

Sounds like my old boss who only got stuff done because she delegated the work to her supervisors, then re-sent a new email without CCing us with our findings to take credit of the information.

Smh.

I hate slackers at work, if he starts to perform somehow "worse" and you see that it directly effects your workload, snitch that ****er out. Can't have broken cog's in the machine.

I got kids to feed.

He isnt my supervisor so no stress on my end. My work speaks for itself and I learned always to document via emails. Which I already did/ am doing.

I could be robin hood and save those being affected but na, itll all point back to me. Ill let karma bite him in the ***

first things first
u a snitch
why u tryna get him in trouble
u dont know what dude got going in his personal life
and gonna jeopardize his well
being cause u mad he got the hook up for a job
u also a hater
i aint giving u no kinda advice
and if anyone does
they some snitches too
why dont u just focus on urself

Back