Quick question about Raptor DMP VII's

Originally Posted by ijapino

Originally Posted by Quashy

Originally Posted by iLLGT2

What's funny though is that the DMP's are actually MORE like the OG's, not Retro's as far as looks.. OG's had the 2 tone like nubuck/durabuck or whatever it was...
^^^^ True. I've always wondered why the DMP 60+ got so much hate towards it when the black vii was more towards the OG. OG has a charcoal and black on the shoe. The 02 retro was the one that was %%$*## up. It was mostly all black and yall cry when JB gets something right by releasing the Retro with the charcoal.

Not exactly. The OG's only became two toned after much wear and tear. Fresh out the box they were a dark black nubuck (See the MJ pics posted). They eventually faded over time due to the weathered durabuck they used.
I stated, "as far as looks".. I understand wear added to the looks of OG's that we see now.. But aesthetically when we look at Originals (when the DMP came out) the 2 looked so similar as to how they aged, if you understand what I mean.. It was like "pre aged" in a sense to make it look like an original pair, to me that was cool!

What's funny though is that the DMP's are actually MORE like the OG's, not Retro's as far as looks.. OG's had the 2 tone like nubuck/durabuck or whatever it was...
^^^^ True. I've always wondered why the DMP 60+ got so much hate towards it when the black vii was more towards the OG. OG has a charcoal and black on the shoe. The 02 retro was the one that was %%$*## up. It was mostly all black and yall cry when JB gets something right by releasing the Retro with the charcoal.

Not exactly. The OG's only became two toned after much wear and tear. Fresh out the box they were a dark black nubuck (See the MJ pics posted). They eventually faded over time due to the weathered durabuck they used.

I'm thinking they released two different pairs originally. Not different colors, but maybe they were produced in different factories thus the reason some are all one tone black and others are two tone.... Kind of like how the X's were made in two different countries. Because there are OG pairs with all one tone nubuck, and there are pairs with the two tone you speak of. I'm sure the nubuck does fade over time, but it had to of been two tone originally as well because it doesn't make sense that fading causes the two tone...wouldn't the whole shoe fade the same way if it was originally all one color?

f3d26d418ed684ca1577aae.jpg

Pics courtesty of a NT'er, although I forget who exactly.....Just had it saved because it was such a good picture.

I'm thinking they released two different pairs originally. Not different colors, but maybe they were produced in different factories thus the reason some are all one tone black and others are two tone.... Kind of like how the X's were made in two different countries. Because there are OG pairs with all one tone nubuck, and there are pairs with the two tone you speak of. I'm sure the nubuck does fade over time, but it had to of been two tone originally as well because it doesn't make sense that fading causes the two tone...wouldn't the whole shoe fade the same way if it was originally all one color?

f3d26d418ed684ca1577aae.jpg

Pics courtesty of a NT'er, although I forget who exactly.....Just had it saved because it was such a good picture.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

That's a good theory and you may be right. I know when shoes with elephant print release, there are some that have a thicker pattern than others. Maybe it's the same with the durabuck of the original black/red VII's. I'm guessing they used a gigantic sheet of black durabuck and then cut out the patterns they needed to make the shoe. Certain areas of the sheets were probably brushed more than other areas, hence the different shades of black.

That's a good theory and you may be right. I know when shoes with elephant print release, there are some that have a thicker pattern than others. Maybe it's the same with the durabuck of the original black/red VII's. I'm guessing they used a gigantic sheet of black durabuck and then cut out the patterns they needed to make the shoe. Certain areas of the sheets were probably brushed more than other areas, hence the different shades of black.

Definitely makes logical sense... Not all material/hides will be the same, it's impossible, EVEN for synthetic material as well... I personally would love an original pair, I just LOVE that two tone/aged effect, time to start my hunt. I just hope they don't crack and detach on me like half of my old stuff
frown.gif

Definitely makes logical sense... Not all material/hides will be the same, it's impossible, EVEN for synthetic material as well... I personally would love an original pair, I just LOVE that two tone/aged effect, time to start my hunt. I just hope they don't crack and detach on me like half of my old stuff
frown.gif

I don't care if they look similar to a pair that's been sitting for 18 years, they should have made them darker point blank.

I don't care if they look similar to a pair that's been sitting for 18 years, they should have made them darker point blank.

for my OGs that remember..Pat da collector had a website EONS ago that showed different versions of da raptor VII's...remember

that back during its maiden run jordans would periodically re-stock thruout da year with fresh batches with different manufacturing.

for my OGs that remember..Pat da collector had a website EONS ago that showed different versions of da raptor VII's...remember

that back during its maiden run jordans would periodically re-stock thruout da year with fresh batches with different manufacturing.

Originally Posted by orthotic

please dont call these raptors anymore. call em "playoffs" or something, since he actually wore these in the playoffs. sorry, no offense, but when i hear the word "raptors" it really gets under my skin.
mad.gif
I think you're just gonna have to come to terms with that

please dont call these raptors anymore. call em "playoffs" or something, since he actually wore these in the playoffs. sorry, no offense, but when i hear the word "raptors" it really gets under my skin.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by nickmcclure

mad.gif
basically.

Originally Posted by nickmcclure

mad.gif
basically.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Pretty cool info!

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Pretty cool info!

Although Pat's Air Jordan page no longer exists, I was still able to find the information he posted about the black/red VII's. Here he comments on the variations of the material...

Interesting information:
The AJ7 was a transition to a new generation of Air Jordans. They eliminated the visible air sole, and went back to having the air bubbles concealed. They also eliminated the NIKE/swoosh/AIR on the outside of the shoe, and replaced it with the standard #23 that we've seen ever since. And, they eliminated the easily-yellowed clear white sole compound. The AJ7 did retain the "JOaRiDrAN" on the tongue from the AJ6. The black/red combination had different types of leather used. The more common is the suede-%%# grey-%%# leather. But, there was a batch or two produced with a more shiny and more black leather. You can see in the picture the difference in the leathers used. Technically, it's still all one product and color code. So, I'm just calling these "variants" of each other. Note: this is not like the modern concept of "variants" where the factories produced shoes off to the side, without Nike's design, etc. These were shoes churned off of the factory lines, for distribution and sale through normal channels. I cannot bring myself to call the shiny ones "flawed" AJ7s. But, since they are technically the same product/color code as the suede AJ7s, I have listed them together, but as variants.

Although Pat's Air Jordan page no longer exists, I was still able to find the information he posted about the black/red VII's. Here he comments on the variations of the material...

Interesting information:
The AJ7 was a transition to a new generation of Air Jordans. They eliminated the visible air sole, and went back to having the air bubbles concealed. They also eliminated the NIKE/swoosh/AIR on the outside of the shoe, and replaced it with the standard #23 that we've seen ever since. And, they eliminated the easily-yellowed clear white sole compound. The AJ7 did retain the "JOaRiDrAN" on the tongue from the AJ6. The black/red combination had different types of leather used. The more common is the suede-%%# grey-%%# leather. But, there was a batch or two produced with a more shiny and more black leather. You can see in the picture the difference in the leathers used. Technically, it's still all one product and color code. So, I'm just calling these "variants" of each other. Note: this is not like the modern concept of "variants" where the factories produced shoes off to the side, without Nike's design, etc. These were shoes churned off of the factory lines, for distribution and sale through normal channels. I cannot bring myself to call the shiny ones "flawed" AJ7s. But, since they are technically the same product/color code as the suede AJ7s, I have listed them together, but as variants.

Back
Top Bottom