Quick question for my Hispanics vol. oye, i didnt know

Why do you guys get upset when someone mistakes you for a different nationality?

I called a Puerto Rican lady Cuban once and she made it seemed like I called her a %!* and I don't think I was wrong being that almost every Hispanic Iknow in Miami is Cuban. Oh and don't you dare call any of them Mexican, you're probably looking for a fight...

I'm Haitian and I get mistaken for Bahamian, Jamaican, even sometimes Trini and it doesnt get me upset. Its not that serious.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Why do you guys get upset when someone mistakes you for a different nationality?

I called a Puerto Rican lady Cuban once and she made it seemed like I called her a %!* and I don't think I was wrong being that almost every Hispanic I know in Miami is Cuban. Oh and don't you dare call any of them Mexican, you're probably looking for a fight...

I'm Haitian and I get mistaken for Bahamian, Jamaican, even sometimes Trini and it does get me upset. Its not that serious.
eyes.gif

I don't think anyone likes to be called something they are not ..

I always think if you don't know what nationality a person is - you might just want to ask instead of assuming .. Just because you are in an area that isheavily populated by a race doesn't mean that everyone is from there ..

IMHO that's a lack of education .....

If you don't know don't assume ....

I personally wouldn't take offense but when I see a person is just plain dumb with it - then yes and if I was called Mexican I would just be upset becauseyou are assuming since I'm Hispanic I'm Mexican .. the same way most of uneducated people snap when they see a Hispanic talking about burritos andbeans .. like are you serious ..

Yeah I noticed that too, I was talking to my ex Diana the other day who is Guatemalan and Mexican and I mistakenly said "damn I love your Salvadorian skincomplexion" and she hung up the phone on me. She's still a got a little heated when I brought it up today.
laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm black and filipino and people mistaken me for Puerto Rican all the time (except for black and filipinos
grin.gif
).

Puerto Ricans are especially difficult with this because they're raised with a misguided sense of pride. Nobody wears and displays more flags from theirnationality than them when there's no real occasion to. Start looking at bumper stickers and t-shirts you'll see a lot more PR stuff than Cuba even inMiami, despite the much larger Cuban population.

And to think they don't even own their own country.

Originally Posted by infamousod

Puerto Ricans are especially difficult with this because they're raised with a misguided sense of pride. Nobody wears and displays more flags from their nationality than them when there's no real occasion to. Start looking at bumper stickers and t-shirts you'll see a lot more PR stuff than Cuba even in Miami, despite the much larger Cuban population.

indifferent.gif

what a retarted statement .....

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Yeah I noticed that too, I was talking to my ex Diana the other day who is Guatemalan and Mexican and I mistakenly said "damn I love your Salvadorian skin complexion" and she hung up the phone on me. She's still a got a little heated when I brought it up today.
laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm black and filipino and people mistaken me for Puerto Rican all the time (except for black and filipinos
grin.gif
).

roll.gif

come on dude you called your ex girl salvadorian .. like are you serious????
no wonder why she's your ex ..

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

I always think if you don't know what nationality a person is - you might just want to ask instead of assuming .. Just because you are in an area that is heavily populated by a race doesn't mean that everyone is from there ..

I personally wouldn't take offense but when I see a person is just plain dumb with it - then yes and if I was called Mexican I would just be upset because you are assuming since I'm Hispanic I'm Mexican .. the same way most of uneducated people snap when they see a Hispanic talking about burritos and beans .. like are you serious ..

I agree with this last part. People see or hear my last name and automatically think Mexican. I don't get offended, but I find it to be VERY ignorant...

infamousod wrote:

Puerto Ricans are especially difficult with this because they're raised with a misguided sense of pride. Nobody wears and displays more flags from their nationality than them when there's no real occasion to. Start looking at bumper stickers and t-shirts you'll see a lot more PR stuff than Cuba even in Miami, despite the much larger Cuban population.

indifferent.gif

what a retarted statement .....

It's a little underhanded but it's true. Almost every Puerto Rican I know owns a PR flag, a beaded necklace flag, a tattoo, a CD with the PR flaghanging from their rear view, and/or a couple t-shirts.

Only ones that should be irked is the old heads. These days kids just use their heritage only when it's to their advantage (i.e. parades). IMO, thereshouldn't be parades. Not every country gets their "day" here, so why should some of the most ignorant ones get a chance to wave their flagobnoxiously. Not to mention in big cities like here in Chicago or New York it only attracts gang banging.

infamousod wrote:

indifferent.gif

what a ******ed statement .....

It's a little underhanded but it's true. Almost every Puerto Rican I know owns a PR flag, a beaded necklace flag, a tattoo, a CD with the PR flag hanging from their rear view, and/or a couple t-shirts.
You MAD?

Where's you from?

Represent .....

You are just ignorant to isolated the Puertoricans for doing this because the majority of Caribbean island and Latin American countries do this as well ..

Like I mentioned .. Retarted statement

cuz thats just disrespectful....

All people of hispanic origin are "Mexican"?? What kinda stuff is that??

Im from Panama, and I hate when I Hear Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc....get it right, Im just not gonna go along with Puerto Rican cuz "it's closeenough"

oOickusOo wrote:
Only ones that should be irked is the old heads. These days kids just use their heritage only when it's to their advantage (i.e. parades). IMO, there shouldn't be parades. Not every country gets their "day" here, so why should some of the most ignorant ones get a chance to wave their flag obnoxiously. Not to mention in big cities like here in Chicago or New York it only attracts gang banging.

WTH are you talking about .. when was the last time you was in NYC?

Irish Day Parade
Puertorican Day Parade
Dominican Day Parade
WestIndis Day Parade

and so on ...

So before you speak go get a clue son .. BTW, if any race decide to do a parade and support it - I'm sure NYC would welcome it .. however if you don'tsupport ir - why would they continue to do it?

i got a cuban homeboy and we always mess with him and call him mexican..he gets super heated about that
laugh.gif

infamousod wrote:

indifferent.gif

what a ******ed statement .....

It's a little underhanded but it's true. Almost every Puerto Rican I know owns a PR flag, a beaded necklace flag, a tattoo, a CD with the PR flag hanging from their rear view, and/or a couple t-shirts.
You MAD?

Where's you from?

Represent .....

You are just ignorant to isolated the Puertoricans for doing this because the majority of Caribbean island and Latin American countries do this as well ..

Like I mentioned .. Retarted statement

Rikan Im going to assume youre Puerto Rican and thats the reason for you to try to argue something that is actually fairly true.

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

I always think if you don't know what nationality a person is - you might just want to ask instead of assuming .. Just because you are in an area that is heavily populated by a race doesn't mean that everyone is from there ..

I personally wouldn't take offense but when I see a person is just plain dumb with it - then yes and if I was called Mexican I would just be upset because you are assuming since I'm Hispanic I'm Mexican .. the same way most of uneducated people snap when they see a Hispanic talking about burritos and beans .. like are you serious ..

I agree with this last part. People see or hear my last name and automatically think Mexican. I don't get offended, but I find it to be VERY ignorant...

Agreed.

Originally Posted by tony AYOOO

i got a cuban homeboy and we always mess with him and call him mexican..he gets super heated about that
laugh.gif

I called him Mexican in front of a girl he was trying to talk to... still brings it up 6 years later, lol...

that's like this lady at the store i work at. i swear she offended me so bad i was about to !*$!@ slap her
i was like damn. she really being racist. i don't know if i took it wrong but this is how the dialogue went:

*looks at my name tag*
"david?, how did you end up with david? I'm suprised your name isn't jose, i know so many jose's"
ME: (i fake chuckled to play it off but like i said i was heated) "i guess my parents were just creative"
her: "yeah i guess"
Me: "either that or they read the bible a lot, do you ever read it?"
*asks how much her total is*
i give
pimp.gif
to myself for making her think about what she said, AND making her feel hella uncomfortable
but damn, wasn't that racist or is it just me?

and like said above... if u went up to a dude and called him female he'd be mad... that's why people get upset. Your calling them something they arenot, nor represent

and honestly, in the latin world, mexicans/cubans are seen as the poorest/dirtyest. i don't know why i noticed this a lot growing up. and i agree with thepuerto rican pride thing. I mean i rep my mexican heritage to the fullest, but puerto ricans are just crazy about it like they are the best/finest/gracefulcreatures on earth.. going as far as getting borricua tatted on them etc.

i realize the irony in my talking about the pride of reppin ur race (being nicknamed mex) but yeah... just my 2 cents.

I really dont care about being confused for anything, I guess Ive gotten used to it after being confused so many times.
I will give you guys an example of how closed minded the two of most dominant hispanic nationalities can be (DR/PR in the uptown area).

Baad DR or PR shorty: You Dominican?
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: You Puerto Rican!!!!!
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: OK so you Mexican!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Nope.
Baad DR or PR shorty: So then what the hell are you?????????

The whole point is that in the mind of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, when it comes to hispanic nationalities they seem to have no clue that there is anythingother than Rican, Dominican, or Mexican. Like are you people serious? Are you that ignorant that you can only guess 3 spanish speaking countries? (ALWAYS THESAME 3. GUARANTEED)

I dont care if you call me Argentinian, Brazilian, Colombian, Salvadorian, Panamanian, etc... I just want to meet one person from uptown whos knowledge oflatin america doesnt start with DR and end with PR.

/Rant

oOickusOo wrote:
Only ones that should be irked is the old heads. These days kids just use their heritage only when it's to their advantage (i.e. parades). IMO, there shouldn't be parades. Not every country gets their "day" here, so why should some of the most ignorant ones get a chance to wave their flag obnoxiously. Not to mention in big cities like here in Chicago or New York it only attracts gang banging.

WTH are you talking about .. when was the last time you was in NYC?

Irish Day Parade
Puertorican Day Parade
Dominican Day Parade
WestIndis Day Parade

and so on ...

So before you speak go get a clue son .. BTW, if any race decide to do a parade and support it - I'm sure NYC would welcome it .. however if you don't support ir - why would they continue to do it?

Never been... Just speaking on the major hispanic parades. You can't tell me during the PR parade over there, bangers ain't out in full force knowingthey're gonna find the trouble they're looking for. Same case here in Chicago with the PR and Mexican day parades. There's no escaping thatignorance in urban areas, that's all I'm saying. Also, other countries do get a day (Not all) but none are as obnoxious as the hispanics. That'sthe point I was trying to make.

puerto ricans are mad stuck up , the females atleast. i date a lot of DR grls they are more open minded to dating a white boy, but PR grls stay close minded ngettin played out by PR dudes
laugh.gif

in conclusion, dr > pr
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom