Quick question for my Hispanics vol. oye, i didnt know

I am Salvadorian and back in the day when I had short hair (really long hair now) I would sometimes get mistaken for being caucasian

The kind of got on my nerves but it really annoys me if someone assumes I am Mexican. I dunno why it just does.

I don't get offended seeing as how my nationality is pretty much impossible to tell just by looking at me. I don't know why other Hispanics would getoffended though, I guess they don't like being stereotyped?

Originally Posted by Diego

RiKaN HaVoK wrote:
Originally Posted by infamousod

RiKaN HaVoK wrote:
infamousod wrote:

Puerto Ricans are especially difficult with this because they're raised with a misguided sense of pride. Nobody wears and displays more flags from their nationality than them when there's no real occasion to. Start looking at bumper stickers and t-shirts you'll see a lot more PR stuff than Cuba even in Miami, despite the much larger Cuban population.

And to think they don't even own their own country.
indifferent.gif

what a ******ed statement .....

It's a little underhanded but it's true. Almost every Puerto Rican I know owns a PR flag, a beaded necklace flag, a tattoo, a CD with the PR flag hanging from their rear view, and/or a couple t-shirts.
You MAD?

Where's you from?

Represent .....

You are just ignorant to isolated the Puertoricans for doing this because the majority of Caribbean island and Latin American countries do this as well ..

Like I mentioned .. Retarted statement

Rikan Im going to assume youre Puerto Rican and thats the reason for you to try to argue something that is actually fairly true.

I'm actually American - I was born in Manhattan (NYC) so what's your point?

If you trying to find out my heritage - yes I'm Puertorican ..

don't be mad cause i think you are one of the biggest cornball in NT ..I mean its a fairly true statement .. RIGHT?

P.S. Phillipinos take pride in what they are and where they come from .. Irish take pride in what they are and where they come from so who doesnt take pride?.. GTFOHWTBS ..

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

RiKaN HaVoK wrote:

RiKaN HaVoK wrote:
infamousod wrote:

Puerto Ricans are especially difficult with this because they're raised with a misguided sense of pride. Nobody wears and displays more flags from their nationality than them when there's no real occasion to. Start looking at bumper stickers and t-shirts you'll see a lot more PR stuff than Cuba even in Miami, despite the much larger Cuban population.

indifferent.gif

what a ******ed statement .....

It's a little underhanded but it's true. Almost every Puerto Rican I know owns a PR flag, a beaded necklace flag, a tattoo, a CD with the PR flag hanging from their rear view, and/or a couple t-shirts.
You MAD?

Where's you from?

Represent .....

You are just ignorant to isolated the Puertoricans for doing this because the majority of Caribbean island and Latin American countries do this as well ..

Like I mentioned .. Retarted statement

Rikan Im going to assume youre Puerto Rican and thats the reason for you to try to argue something that is actually fairly true.

don't be mad cause i think you are one of the biggest cornball in NT ..I mean its a fairly true statement .. RIGHT?

P.S. Phillipinos take pride in what they are and where they come from .. Irish take pride in what they are and where they come from so who doesnt take pride? .. GTFOHWTBS ..

Tis is how you show your ignorance. At no point did I insult you in order to make my point.
In typical PR fashion thats the only way you know how to argue... "Youre a cornball blah blah blah". NO SUBSTANCE.

Go somewhere and when come back when you learn how to make sense.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

I'm Haitian and I get mistaken for Bahamian, Jamaican, even sometimes Trini and it doesnt get me upset.
Why would you get upset? That's a step up.

I can totally understand why different nationalities would get upset about this when besides speaking a similar language they really have nothing in commonwith others "Hispanic" nationalities. What's so hard to understand?

I really dont care about being confused for anything, I guess Ive gotten used to it after being confused so many times.
I will give you guys an example of how closed minded the two of most dominant hispanic nationalities can be (DR/PR in the uptown area).

Baad DR or PR shorty: You Dominican?
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: You Puerto Rican!!!!!
Me: Nah.
Baad DR or PR shorty: OK so you Mexican!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Nope.
Baad DR or PR shorty: So then what the hell are you?????????

The whole point is that in the mind of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, when it comes to hispanic nationalities they seem to have no clue that there is anything other than Rican, Dominican, or Mexican. Like are you people serious? Are you that ignorant that you can only guess 3 spanish speaking countries? (ALWAYS THE SAME 3. GUARANTEED)

I dont care if you call me Argentinian, Brazilian, Colombian, Salvadorian, Panamanian, etc... I just want to meet one person from uptown whos knowledge of latin america doesnt start with DR and end with PR.

/Rant

indifferent.gif

Man are you serious? WTH was your point? you made and still make no sense .. why don't you go back to sleep man .....

the two most domininant hispanic what??
roll.gif
how stupid can this statement be.. BTW, if you are uptown I be surprise if they even call you Puertorican and trust that I hanged out there for more than 15 years .... I'm fairlyconfident that if you sound colombian, argentinian, mexican, puertorican .. they will guess it right .. so don't even play yourself ....

Stop talking please .. you probably dont even know what you are ......

The only thing I would agree in is - if you don't know what they hell a person is dont assume ..... just ask .....

BTW, if you are chilling in Junction or Northen BLDV in queens you would assume someone is Colombian right? yeah .. that's you ..

P.S. Phillipinos take pride in what they are and where they come from .. Irish take pride in what they are and where they come from so who doesnt take pride? .. GTFOHWTBS ..

Tis is how you show your ignorance. At no point did I insult you in order to make my point.
In typical PR fashion thats the only way you know how to argue... "Youre a cornball blah blah blah". NO SUBSTANCE.

Go somewhere and when come back when you learn how to make sense.
when did I said you instulted me to make a point? My dude - just stop it .. just stop it .. You said the statement was fairly true and if I wasarguing because I was puertorican .. then I proceded to tell you what I was .. so .. SMH ...

I'm not even going to waste my time .. the fact that I call you cornball doesnt even have anything to do with this - however, is fact ....

plus I made a statement .. that not only hispanic people have pride .. everyone have pride .. they might not carry flags/do parades/get tattos/etc .. but theyhave pride ..

GO BACK TO SLEEP!

You sound like youre still learning how to speak english.
I cant argue with someone under those conditions.

Go wear your Jersey-Flag.

You sound like youre still learning how to speak english.
I cant argue with someone under those conditions.

Go wear your Jersey-Flag.
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
CORNBALL like stated many times ...

Originally Posted by MECKS

that's like this lady at the store i work at. i swear she offended me so bad i was about to !*$!@ slap her
i was like damn. she really being racist. i don't know if i took it wrong but this is how the dialogue went:

*looks at my name tag*
"david?, how did you end up with david? I'm suprised your name isn't jose, i know so many jose's"
ME: (i fake chuckled to play it off but like i said i was heated) "i guess my parents were just creative"
her: "yeah i guess"
Me: "either that or they read the bible a lot, do you ever read it?"
*asks how much her total is*
i give
pimp.gif
to myself for making her think about what she said, AND making her feel hella uncomfortable
but damn, wasn't that racist or is it just me?

and like said above... if u went up to a dude and called him female he'd be mad... that's why people get upset. Your calling them something they are not, nor represent

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]and honestly, in the latin world, mexicans/cubans are seen as the poorest/dirtyest[/color]
. i don't know why i noticed this a lot growing up. and i agree with the puerto rican pride thing. I mean i rep my mexican heritage to the fullest, but puerto ricans are just crazy about it like they are the best/finest/graceful creatures on earth.. going as far as getting borricua tatted on them etc.

i realize the irony in my talking about the pride of reppin ur race (being nicknamed mex) but yeah... just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't say she was "racist" per-se, especially when the issue here has NOTHING to do with race, ornationality or ethnicity for that matter, and everything to do with her ignorance and obtuseness stemming from, simply stated, the privilege afforded by anethnocentric perspective.

Calling a male a female is NOT the same as calling someone the wrong name--sorry...
laugh.gif

Lastly, imo, I think the real issue here--why different [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color] get offended when they are mistaking for another-- has to do withthe fact that within the Latin community itself, there exists this fictional hierarchy of superiority and inferiority complexes attached to the variousHispanic [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color] .

Growing up in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx, where to a large extent my Hispanic friends were largely comprised of Puerto-Ricans, I was taughtindirectly that Puerto-Ricans were better than every other hispanic group. I was taught that Dominicans (the second "large" group) were jealous ofPuerto-Ricans and with respect to the aforementioned hierarchy, in relation to Puerto-Ricans, were on an inferior level. And then even amongst members inherentto these two groups, I learned that the biggest sin one could commit against a PR or a DR was to refer to them, jokingly or insultingly, as a Mexican (thethird "large" group). Why?--because, well, as Mecks already pointed out, Mexicans were viewed as the "lowest".

While a small fraction within any Hispanic population may indeed have legitimate pride for all the right reasons, and this is often with members from the oldergeneration, I am fairly of the opinion, based on past and current impressions, that the great majority have pride for all the wrong reasons--see previouslymentioned superiority complex.

Just like it's cool to have the latest Jordans, I think members of the "new generation" find it cool to claim to be PuertoRican/Dominican/Cuban/and Mexican for superficial reasons. Even so, these subscriptions are all the more vain (once again, imo) especially when you realizethat all they're doing is repping [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color]--which is also, to an extent, a constructionof fictional proportions. Why?

--because ethnically speaking, aren't many of the Caribbean Hispanics the same, however variable the percentages of African, Native American Indian, andSpanish blood, they may have? And can the same not be said about many of the Southern American Hispanics, with some exceptions for Brazilians and any othernon-spanish descended populations, and with some special consideration for the variance among the various South American Indian groups?

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by MECKS

that's like this lady at the store i work at. i swear she offended me so bad i was about to !*$!@ slap her
i was like damn. she really being racist. i don't know if i took it wrong but this is how the dialogue went:

*looks at my name tag*
"david?, how did you end up with david? I'm suprised your name isn't jose, i know so many jose's"
ME: (i fake chuckled to play it off but like i said i was heated) "i guess my parents were just creative"
i give
pimp.gif
to myself for making her think about what she said, AND making her feel hella uncomfortable

and like said above... if u went up to a dude and called him female he'd be mad... that's why people get upset. Your calling them something they are not, nor represent

and honestly, in the latin world, mexicans/cubans are seen as the poorest/dirtyest
. i don't know why i noticed this a lot growing up. and i agree with the puerto rican pride thing. I mean i rep my mexican heritage to the fullest, but puerto ricans are just crazy about it like they are the best/finest/graceful creatures on earth.. going as far as getting borricua tatted on them etc.

i realize the irony in my talking about the pride of reppin ur race (being nicknamed mex) but yeah... just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't say she was "racist" per-se, especially when the issue here has NOTHING to do with race, or nationality or ethnicity for that matter, and everything to do with her ignorance and obtuseness stemming from, simply stated, the privilege afforded by an ethnocentric perspective.

Calling a male a female is NOT the same as calling someone the wrong name--sorry...
laugh.gif

Lastly, imo, I think the real issue here--why different nationalities get offended when they are mistaking for another-- has to do with the fact that within the Latin community itself, there exists this fictional hierarchy of superiority and inferiority complexes attached to the various Hispanic nationalities .

Growing up in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx, where to a large extent my Hispanic friends were largely comprised of Puerto-Ricans, I was taught indirectly that Puerto-Ricans were better than every other hispanic group. I was taught that Dominicans were jealous of Puerto-Ricans and with respect to the aforementioned hierarchy, in relation to Puerto-Ricans, were on an inferior level. And then even amongst members inherent to these two groups, I learned that the biggest sin you could commit against them was to refer to them, jokingly or insultingly, as Mexican. Why?--because, well, as Mecks already pointed out, Mexicans were viewed as the "lowest".
So what youre saying is that Puerto Ricans tend to think they are somehow better or above other hispanic groups?
We have to put it real real simple for Rikan to understand.

Don't pull me into y'all lil e-scuffle...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...word to that last line Diego.

But yeah, like I said, growing up in the Castle Hill (127
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
...St. Raymonds...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
), these are the impressions I was given. Not that I ever agreed with it, but it's what I was indirectly taught by the surrounding Hispanicenvironment. Also, my best friend was PR--if that matters.

SuperAntigen wrote:
MECKS wrote:

*looks at my name tag*
i give
pimp.gif

and honestly, in the latin world, mexicans/cubans are seen as the poorest/dirtyest

I wouldn't say she was "racist" per-se, especially when the issue here has NOTHING to do with race, or nationality or ethnicity for that matter, and everything to do with her ignorance and obtuseness stemming from, simply stated, the privilege afforded by an ethnocentric perspective.

laugh.gif

Lastly, imo, I think the real issue here--why different nationalities get offended when they are mistaking for another-- has to do with the fact that within the Latin community itself, there exists this fictional hierarchy of superiority and inferiority complexes attached to the various Hispanic nationalities .

Growing up in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx, where to a large extent my Hispanic friends were largely comprised of Puerto-Ricans, I was taught indirectly that Puerto-Ricans were better than every other hispanic group. I was taught that Dominicans were jealous of Puerto-Ricans and with respect to the aforementioned hierarchy, in relation to Puerto-Ricans, were on an inferior level. And then even amongst members inherent to these two groups, I learned that the biggest sin you could commit against them was to refer to them, jokingly or insultingly, as Mexican. Why?--because, well, as Mecks already pointed out, Mexicans were viewed as the "lowest".

So what youre saying is that Puerto Ricans tend to think they are somehow better or above other hispanic groups?
We have to put it real real simple for Rikan to understand.

No offense man - but you must be ******ed or you can comprehend simple words ..

He stated his personal opinion and the feeling amoung those that he grew up with ..

My fiancee is Dominican and I have plenty of friends that are dominican - I was married to a Mexican girl and have plenty of Mexican friends and working forthe federal government I have a diverse understanding of other cultures and have plenty of diverse friends and it be ludacris to say that none of these peoplethink their heritage is supirior to others ...

Everytime fiancee has her family over .. OMG .. they start from Puertoricans and end up in Whites - When I was with the Mexican they start by the AmericanizedMexican (their own) and end up with Blacks .. When I hang out with Whites they start with the Black and end up with the Mexican and so on .. So please my dudeSTHU and go back to sleep ...

It's just human nature to root for your team .. from sport to heritage to life ... some just take it to and extreme more so than others ..

working for the federal government I have a diverse understanding of other cultures and have plenty of diverse friends and it be ludacris to say that none of these people think their heritage is supirior to others ...

Everytime fiancee has her family over .. OMG .. they start from Puertoricans and end up in Whites - When I was with the Mexican they start by the Americanized Mexican (their own) and end up with Blacks .. When I hang out with Whites they start with the Black and end up with the Mexican and so on .. So please my dude STHU and go back to sleep ...

It's just human nature to root for your team .. from sport to heritage to life ... some just take it to and extreme more so than others ..

This my friend, is how slavery started.

theres a difference with people saying what i look like

like for example some people thought i was black or mixed it doesn't bother me none or said i LOOK black or mixed

BUT to assume i was n treat me like i was i wouldve been annoyed, they always ended up asking

im hispanic btw

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

laugh.gif

Lastly, imo, I think the real issue here--why different [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color] get offended when they are mistaking for another-- has to do with the fact that within the Latin community itself, there exists this fictional hierarchy of superiority and inferiority complexes attached to the various Hispanic [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color] .

While a small fraction within any Hispanic population may indeed have legitimate pride for all the right reasons, and this is often with members from the older generation, I am fairly of the opinion, based on past and current impressions, that the great majority have pride for all the wrong reasons--see previously mentioned superiority complex.

Just like it's cool to have the latest Jordans, I think members of the "new generation" find it cool to claim to be Puerto Rican/Dominican/Cuban/and Mexican for superficial reasons. Even so, these subscriptions are all the more vain (once again, imo) especially when you realize that all they're doing is repping [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]nationalities[/color]--which is also, to an extent, a construction of fictional proportions. Why?

--because ethnically speaking, aren't many of the Caribbean Hispanics the same, however variable the percentages of African, Native American Indian, and Spanish blood, they may have? And can the same not be said about many of the Southern American Hispanics, with some exceptions for Brazilians and any other non-spanish descended populations, and with some special consideration for the variance among the various South American Indian groups?
The difference is that as a result of immigration to this county and this country's simplistic categorization of all things that lie outsideof the "mainstream," these varied "Hispanic" nationalities are lumped into one entire category/group (aka "Hispanic,""Latino," etc). They are now viewed as a monolithic culture when in reality, they have little, if any relation to one another based on culture,history and customs. This goes for newly arrived immigrants and even first or second generation offspring who continue to view themselves in the model of theirimmigrant experience rather than full-blown American, which in reality is what they should be referring to themselves as rather than some hyphenated identity.

Like I alluded to earlier, the only reason/cause people link them to one another is because they speak a similar language, which was a result of Spanishcolonization - there is no other factor that unites them. It has nothing to do with ethnocentric privilege at all. Would you travel throughout Latin Americaand refer to someone from Chile as Puerto Rican or someone from Mexico as Colombian? Absolutely not. That would be completely ignorant and ridiculous. Asimilar example would be to lump Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Americans, Canadians, South Africans, etc into one quasi-racial/ethnic classification.It's just not done, but it's way easier for Americans to label and group things in an erroneous way than to have to deal with the headache aboutsomething they really don't care about in the first place. If anything, it's a privilege of Americans to be able to do mislabel or classifyerroneously in order to make it easier on themselves.

Who are "Hispanics?" Hispanics are DIRECT descendants of Spaniards who were born in the Americas. There's really not many of them left.

Who are "Latins?" Latins are ancient people from Central Italy (Lazio region).

None of the people referred to as Hispanic or Latin in this country are really Hispanic or Latin.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Yeah I noticed that too, I was talking to my ex Diana the other day who is Guatemalan and Mexican and I mistakenly said "damn I love your Salvadorian skin complexion" and she hung up the phone on me. She's still a got a little heated when I brought it up today.
laugh.gif

Anyways, I'm black and filipino and people mistaken me for Puerto Rican all the time (except for black and filipinos
grin.gif
).

roll.gif

come on dude you called your ex girl salvadorian .. like are you serious????
no wonder why she's your ex ..
Well she was the only Guatemalan girl I've ever seen so I honestly didn't know the difference. And I broke up with her, she didn'tbreak up with me.
wink.gif

infamousod wrote:

indifferent.gif

what a retarted statement .....

laugh.gif
that is true...them fools dont own their own country .....america strong arming ftw

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

infamousod wrote:

indifferent.gif

what a retarted statement .....

laugh.gif
that is true...them fools dont own their own country .....america strong arming ftw
laugh.gif
country was a gift from Spain to the US

Had a rican GF once and if I ever learning anything it was to not call a PR Mexican
smh.gif
unless you were ready to throw down

Back
Top Bottom