R&B Thread About Nothing

Never heard anyone call Mariah Carey the queen of hip hop anything, she doesn’t even get mentioned with hip hop.
You must've been sleeping for half of the 90s and 2000s.

Mariah for the longest was the queen of the hip-hop/r&b collab.

Legit the only r&b singer turned pop act willing to do continuous features with rappers. Something she didn't have to do. Wouldn't miss a chance to remind somebody she black. Quite frankly, I don't know how she wouldn't be mentioned with hip hop given her contribution to it being a respected genre.

I know she has Hip Hop collabs but so do a million other pop stars. Letting Cam, Em and Dame smash don’t make her hip hop
It's not she has hip hop collabs.

She has the most during a time hip hop was being discredited as a genre (over 60 to date). Make no mistakes about it as if you can brush it off and compare her to Justin Timberlake. Mariah was heavily in hip hop when others weren't.

You cant name another pop act that did it like her. She's one of the reasons rap gained that mainstream appeal.

I find it surprising the level of ignorance when it comes to Mariah Carey and hip hop. She is without a doubt a part of the culture.

Mariah always seemed manufactured to me. She's talented but she started off as a pop star, she was basically being promoted as another white singer. Then once hip hop started to take off she jumped on it and got her cool points. Mary was always hip hop, she was brought up in it. From day 1 she was a soul singer with hip hop attitude.

Emancipation of Mimi hits the same as Usher’s Confessions
B1813B90-B294-483F-AE02-39975A27C329.png
and she fried Eminem harder than anybody has
650B9F3E-EA9E-4EB9-858A-80DF299A259B.png

Mariah always seemed manufactured to me. She's talented but she started off as a pop star, she was basically being promoted as another white singer. Then once hip hop started to take off she jumped on it and got her cool points. Mary was always hip hop, she was brought up in it. From day 1 she was a soul singer with hip hop attitude.

No she didn't

What's pop about

No she didn't

What's pop about

She was being nominated and winning awards for being a Pop artist. :lol:

This is drastically different from the ODB, Puffy and Mase joints she was doing in the late 90's and way different from the straight up R&B she was making with Jermaine later.

She did a lil work with Babyface but until the mid-late 90's she was a pop music artist. She's talked how the people around her wanted to keep her in that pop lane but she started liking hip hop and wanted to work them.

Hate those first couple Mariah albums so much

Wasn't a big part of the pop crap made for her to be Whitney's comp when she arrived?

Back
Top Bottom