R&B Thread About Nothing

She was being nominated and winning awards for being a Pop artist. :lol:

This is drastically different from the ODB, Puffy and Mase joints she was doing in the late 90's and way different from the straight up R&B she was making with Jermaine later.

She did a lil work with Babyface but until the mid-late 90's she was a pop music artist. She's talked how the people around her wanted to keep her in that pop lane but she started liking hip hop and wanted to work them.

Pop means popular.

She came out straight R&B. Vision of Love was her first single. That debuted on BET first, not MTV. After BET and urban radio made her her hot then she crossed over. That's why she was getting Soul Train awards.

What's pop about these..

A racially ambiguous girl singing. She made it popular.

Again, you're speaking on something you aren't familiar with.

and listen to the applause. Listen to the Vanilla Ice reaction.

Pop means popular.

She came out straight R&B. Vision of Love was her first single. That debuted on BET first, not MTV. After BET and urban radio made her her hot then she crossed over. That's why she was getting Soul Train awards.

What's pop about these..

A racially ambiguous girl singing. She made it popular.

Again, you're speaking on something you aren't familiar with.

and listen to the applause. Listen to the Vanilla Ice reaction.

Pop is also a music genre and that's what she was til the mid-late 90's. She's done interviews talking about how she switched.

You old enough to be familiar with those interviews. :lol:

What's this from?

Just say you aren't that familiar with Mariah

and you'll notice

She wasn't even picking pop rappers, ODB, Da Brat, Jay, The Lox, Mobb, Tariq and Gunz

Again all those hip hop collabs are from the mid-late 90's. :lol:

Post a hip hop collab she did from her 1st or 2nd album.

Ummmm, maybe because R&B artist didn't regularly work with rap artist before then. Janet didn't work with rappers until then either.

How many singers were working with rappers in 90-92?

There's a post Puff/Uptown influence on R&B music after they merged.

After she wasn't seen as a fluke and had proven herself she had more control of her career. What did she do? I know what she didn't have to do.

Ummmm, maybe because R&B artist didn't regularly work with rap artist before then. Janet didn't work with rappers until then either.

How many singers were working with rappers in 90-92?

There's a post Puff/Uptown influence on R&B music after they merged.

After she wasn't seen as a fluke and had proven herself she had more control of her career. What did she do? I know what she didn't have to do.

Say what?

New Jack Swing was one big Hip Hop/R&B gumbo. It was A LOT of singers around that time carried themselves in the same vein as hip hop artist. Like you said Mariah was racially ambiguous so she could play both sides but she was more of a pop artist. Her whole image when she came out was real white girl-ish and she changed.

Carey's fifth studio album, Daydream, found the singer consolidating creative control over her career, leading to tensions with Columbia. The album featured a departure from the singer's allegiance to pop and gravitated heavily towards R&B and hip hop

Carey's subsequent musical releases followed the trend that began with Daydream. The singer's music began relying less on pop and adult contemporary-tinged balladry and instead incorporating heavy elements of hip-hop and R&B. On Butterfly, Carey collaborated with a bevy of producers other than Afanasieff, such as Sean Combs, Q-Tip, Missy Elliott and Jean Claude Oliver and Samuel Barnes from Trackmasters.[72] In mid-1997, after four years of marriage, Carey and Mottola separated. The singer described Mottola as increasingly controlling, and viewed her newfound independence as a new lease on life

Say what?

New Jack Swing was one big Hip Hop/R&B gumbo. It was A LOT of singers around that time that carried themselves in the same vein as hip hop artist. Like you said Mariah was racial ambiguous so she could play both sides but she was more of a pop artist. Her whole look when she came out was real white girl-ish and she changed.

Carey's fifth studio album, Daydream, found the singer consolidating creative control over her career, leading to tensions with Columbia. The album featured a departure from the singer's allegiance to pop and gravitated heavily towards R&B and hip hop

Carey's subsequent musical releases followed the trend that began with Daydream. The singer's music began relying less on pop and adult contemporary-tinged balladry and instead incorporating heavy elements of hip-hop and R&B. On Butterfly, Carey collaborated with a bevy of producers other than Afanasieff, such as Sean Combs, Q-Tip, Missy Elliott and Jean Claude Oliver and Samuel Barnes from Trackmasters.[72] In mid-1997, after four years of marriage, Carey and Mottola separated. The singer described Mottola as increasingly controlling, and viewed her newfound independence as a new lease on life

I'm glad you said what, because you have no clue what I'm talking about.

Daydream was 95. Before that it was a Christmas album.

Her first albums were 90, 91 and 93

Mary came out in 92. She had one album post Mary, before Daydream. And Daydream produced what?

And again, how many artist were doing it before then? Please tell me all these singers who were working with rap acts.

New Jack swing was gumbo? It was? But where are all these Keith Sweat, Guy, Al B Sure rap songs? Collaborations? It was Teddy Riley working with both rap and R&B which he always did, but there was a separation. Most of the time it was the R&B artist rapping some lyrics that were written for them by a rapper. It had been that way since Blondie.

Then you had the Puff influence

And how things changed in music from 90 and 91 to 94 and 95 was a lot.

Who wrote what you're quoting? Stick to talking about stuff you were around for and actually listening to. Funny how you mentioned Joe and Future though. :lol:

I'm glad you said what, because you have no clue what I'm talking about.

Daydream was 95. Before that it was a Christmas album.

Her first albums were 90, 91 and 93

Mary came out in 92. She had one album post Mary, before Daydream. And Daydream produced what?

And again, how many artist were doing it before then? Please tell me all these singers who were working with rap acts.

New Jack swing was gumbo? It was? But where are all these Keith Sweat, Guy, Al B Sure rap songs? Collaborations? It was Teddy Riley working with both rap and R&B which he always did, but there was a separation. Most of the time it was the R&B artist rapping some lyrics that were written for them by a rapper. It had been that way since Blondie.

Then you had the Puff influence

And how things changed in music from 90 and 91 to 94 and 95 was a lot.

Who wrote what you're quoting? Stick to talking about stuff you were around for and actually listening to. Funny how you mentioned Joe and Future though. :lol:

It's all right there how she switched her style. The public saw it, she's admitted it herself, she beefed with her label about it. I'm not gonna keep going in circles, you got it. :lol:

Y'all MFers don't even know how ready I am for this. Me and my wife might even get dressed up for this ****. I'm super hype. I prefer 112 by a little just because they got two albums I can play without skipping a song but JE got a lot of classic records.

I just wanna know how is it gonna work? One person from each group doing it or what?

Q's vocals on this **** here, SMH

This **** underrated as ****.

79DD0955-8748-4B5C-AFD9-CF2213FBF589.gif

7C70A813-6ACF-437A-A220-9E529F7D5B0F.gif

6F836989-00A3-4077-A129-D964448A1FBE.gif

Slim was in the comments all night responding to people. He said he gonna be there with Mike. Q and Daron left.

Not sure if all of JE will be together but they seem pretty close and they’re still making music. Last album was awful.

Back
Top Bottom