R&B Thread About Nothing

That Remy Shand album is fire and I still jam it regularly. I remember him and Robin Thicke both coming out in ‘02 at the same time Timberlake went solo, so neither of em stood a chance. They only let one white cat through that year :lol:

My dad had this, Toni Braxton, and Erykah Badu playing all of the time. Used to think they were all boring since my R&B choices were more mainstream, but now they're the music I do chores to or something to mellow out my day down in the traffic/bus.

Well, if you came to DC after like the mid 2000s, you did not miss a thing! I feel the soul of DC has been sucked out and one reason is because DC's Go-Go music is not really played in the city anymore.....I am only here now for work purposes.

Talking to you made this song pop in my head (mainly because it is a R&B song with a Go-Go beat).....plus I did not hear this remix played too much back in the day.

Seems accurate. I didn't hear any Go-go until my boy from college told me about it around 2013. Went there in 2008 in a high school trip so couldn't club, but we met hella DC students that hosted the tour.

That Remy Shand album is fire and I still jam it regularly. I remember him and Robin Thicke both coming out in ‘02 at the same time Timberlake went solo, so neither of em stood a chance. They only let one white cat through that year :lol:

Speaking of Robin Thicke.....I was talking about him to somebody a couple of weeks ago that he changed his style drastically from when he first came out (when he was just Thicke).....people did not notice him, so he got a haircut and some sex appeal and adapted a more soulful sound.

This video always cracks me up (especially the part when Russell Simmons cusses him out LLS):

I think Marsha still lives in Philly. I always liked both versions of Butterflies equally.

I went down a rabbit hole on one of those throwback R&B pages on IG came across Remy Shand's IG last night.

Seems accurate. I didn't hear any Go-go until my boy from college told me about it around 2013. Went there in 2008 in a high school trip so couldn't club, but we met hella DC students that hosted the tour.
You had to be in DC when it was still Chocolate City in the late 80s and the 90s and Go-Go music was playing everywhere! The city definitely had its problems, but it was POPPIN'! Go-Go started to get watered down in like the mid-late 2000s to me, so I only really rock with the old school jams now.

My fav Aaliyah song. Was just bumping this last week.

Side note: Do yall think Timberland da greatest r&b producer of all time?

I think so.
Darkchild was good too. His production sounds more musical which fits R&B better.

Last edited:
I don't think you can pick one, that's too tough

Timbaland
Dark Child
Jimmy & Terry
Babyface
Teddy Riley
Tim & Bob
B Cox

There's too many to say one is the goat
Numbers 3, 4 and 5 gets my vote (but I am partial and biased for the old school producers though).

Add Quincy Jones, Kyle West, Al B. Sure and DeVante Swing to this list too. Hell, if it was not for DeVante, there would be no Timbaland!

DeVante is one of my favorites but he doesn't have enough material, he should have had a long run like the others. I'll never accept that.

A lot of people don't know how much **** Jimmy & Terry and Tim & Bob have produced cause they're not artists. They've done so much **** it's unreal.

One of my favorite songs of all time

And this **** here so damn smooth

I don't think you can pick one, that's too tough

Timbaland
Dark Child
Jimmy & Terry
Babyface
Teddy Riley
Tim & Bob
B Cox
R. Kelly

There's too many to say one is the goat
And Prince and Devante

Tricky, Dream and Doc up there too.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about the Floetry version of butterflies, only reason I heard it was because my mother was a huge Floetry fan and that was on it. Always liked it but never even crossed my mind to compare the too.

Speaking of Robin Thicke.....I was talking about him to somebody a couple of weeks ago that he changed his style drastically from when he first came out (when he was just Thicke).....people did not notice him, so he got a haircut and some sex appeal and adapted a more soulful sound.

This video always cracks me up (especially the part when Russell Simmons cusses him out LLS):

Admittedly, the only complete Robin Thicke album I've ever listened to is The Evolution (and it's a ****ing monster) and I also very vividly remember this video from when it dropped.

He definitely changed his look, and while I can't speak for total styling and sound, his voice and the way he attempted the sing is about the same to me. Get You Alone isn't soulful per se, but he definitely attempts to give it a soulful r&b vibe vs a pop vibe in the way he sings.

Never been a big Thicke fan. His voice ain’t the greatest and some of his beats wack. My favorite album of his is Love After War.

Never been a big Thicke fan. His voice ain’t the greatest and some of his beats wack.
I agree. When it comes to the soulful "white chocolate", Robin Thicke is in the same lane as Justin Timberlake to me (and that is not a compliment). Yeah, they have hits and can sing "soulfully", but to me they do not have soul.

Never been a big Thicke fan. His voice ain’t the greatest and some of his beats wack. My favorite album of his is Love After War.
Same, he always seems like a hybrid of Justin Timberlake and Michael Buble. Anyways, this is the only recent song I like from him(hated Blurred Lines):

Nah, I definitely put Robin Thicke in the soul category. He's in the same league as Jon B, imo. He came up (ghost)writing under some major r&b/soul heavy hitters. His pen game is very strong. People unfairly discounted his talent after the whole "Blurred Lines" explosion. He's more than that.

Are we getting in our Jill Scott bag?

my sis said that man spread her limbs across continents :pimp:

****ed her so good she was ready to give him some money and fry up some wings :pimp:

His voice is definitely not great, but I can't imagine anyone who likes R&B music not really enjoying The Evolution of Robin Thicke. Top to bottom, it's a hitter. This I how it starts.

And that don't have you ready for a soulful ride? Bruh...

I agree. When it comes to the soulful "white chocolate", Robin Thicke is in the same lane as Justin Timberlake to me (and that is not a compliment). Yeah, they have hits and can sing "soulfully", but to me they do not have soul.
I definitely think JT has a better voice.

I feel funny getting too caught up in any of these white soul singers, regardless of talent ability. **** just don't sit naturally with me. That's different than saying it doesn't sit right. I enjoy good music regardless. But it's not something I can just overlook.

Adele, Sam Smith, Mayor Hawthrone.

Back
Top Bottom