R.I.P. My 1994 Cement IIIs

AIR J XIII

Supporter
These started crumbling some time ago, and I finally decided to put them out of their misery. Im probably gonna look for a pair of beaters on the bay and sole swap

j7qmpe.jpg

2hcgdnl.jpg

16ignqp.jpg

rtlqi8.jpg

d5zps.jpg

RIP 1994-2012

Damn that sucks. Hopefully a soles swap will save them, post some pics when you do the sole swap.

Originally Posted by TheprinceofDE

well damn, did you wear them or did the store them and they end up like that
they were cracking a liitle bit when I got em off of ebay a few years back, I did wear them a few times.

They've been sitting in the box for a couple years, so I figured I'd do something with them. Im thinking about sole swapping with my 07 fire reds, but, if you havent noticed, they have a phylon midsole as opposed to PU. It wont crumble, but its heavy and less comfortable.

Originally Posted by KMante

Imagine how fast the newer retros will fall apart

although newer retros are made with lesser overall quality,
the midsole construction is something all together different

the midsoles on the newer retros will actually last much longer, i repeat - much longer,
than those of yesteryear

go find tinker talking about open vs closed cell polyurethane technology to confirm
you'll also notice how the newer midsoles are harder & less comfortable but absorb less...that quality
is what will prevent the crumbling - if this is all news to you, take notes  

AJXIII - it's obvious your pair was heavily re-painted, it's a shame
that factor couldn't prevent them from at least staying intact if left unworn

Originally Posted by green rhino123

the midsoles on the newer retros will actually last much longer, i repeat - much longer,
than those of yesteryear

go find tinker talking about open vs closed cell polyurethane technology to confirm
you'll also notice how the newer midsoles are harder & less comfortable but absorb less...that quality
this. newer midsoles have less flex to them but thats a good thing considering they have an air bubble. the more flex it is around the air bubble on older Jordans the more prone they are to cracking. and this is why I only buy older retros and OGs without a air bubble. notice how OG VIIs are still wearable after 20 years. and my 1990 solo flights have begun to crack but it is a easy fix with gorilla glue and adhesive caulk since they dont have an air bubble.
and RIP to those white cement IIIs. I traded my 94 pair for cool grey IXs when they began cracking around the air bubble.

^
well, seems you agree, yet even though the shape of the polyurethane plays a part (AJ4 mold may be the worst),
the most important thing is that the midsoles are made from different polyurethane foams

the old midsoles did flex more - like a sponge - absorbed, expanded & contracted
while one can compare the new closed cell urethane to a rock - letting very little in or out

this is also why paint chipping is more of a problem now, them trying to coat a thick amount
of paint on something that won't absorb any of it

the old kicks were constructed to be an enjoyable wear while the new ones are built to last long
(presumably on some collectors display shelf if you follow me)
(may have never happened this way if yall people would really just wear your stuff, really)

by the way, the change in the foam occured in JB kicks in '04-'05
any polyurethane shoe made before that is subject to the same fate as the '94's

DAMN
laugh.gif
RIP

I hope I can rock my 2011s that much. That's when you know they were actually worth the money
roll.gif

Originally Posted by green rhino123

than those of yesteryear

True, it may hold up better. Time will tell. I wear all my shoes A LOT!

The materials outside of the midsole technology are still suspect at best on the newer retros.

Back
Top Bottom