Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

This is a simple loop. They caught one, but no.

I think this is the issue with a lot of Neptunes productions.

There is musical brilliance in there. But the beats are a little linear.

That's not entirely a bad thing because in some ways I think those beats may have been meant to suit the artist.

Like this instrumental doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the song but when you hear the song you think that beat is next level. But maybe they set it up that way because Pharrell's vocals were usually a part of the equation. And that's part of production.

Last edited:
You definitely not familiar with Timbo's work. :lol:

Who cares if he wasn't as great after 08. Neptunes ain't really made that much fire after Hell Hath No Fury (06).

And yeah Magoo and Bubba Sparks had bangers, that shows you how great Tim was. He made people sound better. That Ugly beat was one of the most freestyled on beats at that time. Magoo was played a lot on the radio cuz of those fire beats.

Neptunes are legends, they got some timeless records but when we comparing 'em, Tim changed the sound of Hip Hop, R&B and Pop TWICE. Neptunes had that one sound in the late 90's - early 00's then that was it.

Nah y’all not gon bait me into really looking this **** up and comparing side by side :lol:

I remember thinking Pharrells longevity was crazy in the early 2010s

I think this is the issue with a lot of Neptunes productions.

There is musical brilliance in there. But the beats are a little linear.

That's not entirely a bad thing because in some ways I think those beats may have been meant to suit the artist.

This this instrumental doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the song but when you hear the song you think that beat is next level. If that makes sense.

that’s the thing about producing

the simpler beats give the artist more room to complete the song

timbo’s electronic sound effects, sequencing, and tempo/programming switches cool to production critics/producers but not every artist is skilled enuff to finesse that

^^

Agreed. I edited my **** to include that fact that The Neptunes often included Pharrell vocals in their productions.

Nah y’all not gon bait me into really looking this **** up and comparing side by side :lol:

I remember thinking Pharrells longevity was crazy in the early 2010s

The Neptunes wasn't even together in the 2010's. Pharrell by himself had a few great ones but its wasn't nowhere near the quality as when he was with Chad. He did Kendrick's Alright beat. Pharrell produced that Girl album in 2014 that was real good but Tim did Justin's 20/20 which was another classic/game changer.

I don't even like doing this cuz it sounds like you sh'n on the other side, I love Pharrell and Chad but Tim is just a different monster. :lol:

His versatility and creativeness is on another level.

What sample is this from?

It contains a sample of Pusherman, which is dope, but listen to it, it's the same thing looped over and over and then knick nack patty wack.

It's dope, but it's not some complex intricate beat.

I actually like their simpler ****, like the Nore or Snoop joints a lot more than their more complex stuff.

Because most of their beats are mediocre as hell and don't knock, IMO.

Man I was like 10 or 11 when this song came out. I remember being hypnotized by the beat. I thought this **** was the greatest thing I heard.

Then I heard the other version a year or two later and couldn't believe it

Neptunes not even playing the same sport as Timbaland.

I completely forgot about that second one

I always wanted that 2 way alert sound from the video on my old cell phone at one point. Couldnt figure out how to do it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom