Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

we started killing Jay for putting out lukewarm projects, Kingdom Come slander gave us American Gangster, MCHG gave us 4:44 etc....Em probably gonna take this criticism and make something good on his next joint

So these producers sending beats prior to payment or any kind of contractual agreement for payment?

Common practice. You send and artist a bunch of beats hoping he'll pick one. It seems like there's less professionalism now though.

Now they don't pay, because it's a "mixtape". You're supposed to take that as free promotion for your production work.

The only thing with that is there are no liner notes with a mixtape. Most fans and artist don't know who produced what. That's why a lot of producers are saying their name.

And now it's so easy to get beats the artist don't get a team of producers like they used to.

we started killing Jay for putting out lukewarm projects, Kingdom Come slander gave us American Gangster, MCHG gave us 4:44 etc....Em probably gonna take this criticism and make something good on his next joint

Not unless he changes the way he makes music.

From listening to people like Young Guru and Just Blaze, Jay has a self awareness most elite artist don't seem to have.

Someone like Kanye just does what he wants and doesn't care. He figures his fan base will conform or grow to like it. He probably just chalks it up to him being a genius and nobody being ready.

Em just seems out of touch

No wonder em sucks, you say anything bad about his music and people wanna fight you :smh:

It’s not just em...this is pretty much everyone making music these days lol. ****** move like a gang. The entourage will come for you if you try to mess up their cash flow.

And Kanye only got one bad album. His discog>>> jay z TLOP is the lukest of lukewarm

Producers emailing 20 30 beats to dude's for mixtapes hoping 1 becomes a hit.

Sound like they left the door open to get shafted

Common practice. You send and artist a bunch of beats hoping he'll pick one. It seems like there's less professionalism now though.

Now they don't pay, because it's a "mixtape". You're supposed to take that as free promotion for your production work.

The only thing with that is there are no liner notes with a mixtape. Most fans and artist don't know who produced what. That's why a lot of producers are saying their name.

And now it's so easy to get beats the artist don't get a team of producers like they used to.

I guess it's been pretty trustworthy in the past so they don't feel like they don't need paperwork because of "honor" amongst the genre or artists but I'd think there's too many businesses that are willing to take advantage of these situations I wouldn't trust that somebody would eventually pay me with no paperwork

Here's the difference between the idea of getting shafted with the "mixtape" designation as a way to circumvent paying producers now vs 2011 when Party Heart dropped:

That actually was a mixtape. That's BEFORE the streaming service era. It's kind of hard to call something a mixtape when it's being released through software that people pay for. It's literally just a designation....so producers should have a beef if they did work for something that's Apple Music, Spotify, etc. Drake can call More Life a "playlist"...but it's original music that required sample clearances and it was released via paid subscriptions.

As someone who works in a creative field...you don't do pro bono work and then expect to be paid later. It's important to make the distinction between signed producers sending beats to signed artists back in the day...versus the internet era. If Swizz Beats sends 50 beats to Ja Rule and Ja picks one for his album....Swizz Beats ain't gotta worry about chasing Ja down for a check. His publishing label wouldn't dare let that song release for commercial consumption and legalities are already in place to protect his interest.

Fast forward to 2010...if Chuck Inglish sends 50 beats off the humble to Rick Ross...and Ross uses one for a mixtape that he sent to DatPiff and LiveMixtapes...that's on HIM. He shouldn't send ANY beats no more for free and demand a fee if the song is used...regardless if it's for commercial consumption or not. If Rick Ross puts Party Heart on his label backed LP....then we're talking something entirely different. If it Rich Forever releases TODAY...it is an album.

If there is evidence that that song was being performed live...Inglish would have due cause to seek legal action.

2 Chainz verse trash, sounded like he was trying to impress Em. He failed.

Phresher is trash, just awful. Em takes an L again for having him on this song again.

Em's verse is trash. Flow is awful. I was struggling to even understand some of the things he said.

I'm guessing some of those bars were at Joe but I could be wrong. It's pretty weak of Em to diss him, Joe made a song dedicated to you telling you about how big of a fan he was and blah blah. When your fans are speaking out against you and your music, it says something about your music. I could understand if it was someone that has hated all of your music and always say something. Em weak as hell for this.

Joe weak for responding if he does.

As someone who works in a creative field...you don't do pro bono work and then expect to be paid later.

This is all I'm seeing from my seat. Even looking at it from the view of mixtapes back then weren't being streamed on paid sites, you give your work away hoping somebody will pay you seems like a backwards way of thinkin'. I've done lil gigs where I didn't know how much I'd be paid or how much I was worth. But considering I never pressed for a conversation around compensation I expected nothing, so was pleased to receive something even if it was smaller than desired.

The trust has been broken enough that at this point if you are sending beats with no discussion and agreement on payment for those used, you lost.

Btw I dont really think Em was goin at Joe. I think he was just addressing all the critics in general. Joe wasnt even too harsh on the Revival album. Joe's first instinct was to defend Em. Mal was the one that was goin hard saying it was trash and that Em was out of touch :lol:

Last edited:
Unless youre a big named producer where the artist comes to your studio session you as a new producer have to send beats off to artist for them to listen too.

It was interesting when Bizarre pointed out how Joe switched up and was saying "I'm loyal to Royce". You can still be loyal Em and be honest about his music.

I don't know why you would expect to paid off Party Heart. That wasn't on a album and it was 2012. Before all this streaming ****

Joe got Migos, D12 and GUnit comin for him. I hope Mal and Raury are bout that action
:lol:

Here's the difference between the idea of getting shafted with the "mixtape" designation as a way to circumvent paying producers now vs 2011 when Party Heart dropped:

That actually was a mixtape. That's BEFORE the streaming service era. It's kind of hard to call something a mixtape when it's being released through software that people pay for. It's literally just a designation....so producers should have a beef if they did work for something that's Apple Music, Spotify, etc. Drake can call More Life a "playlist"...but it's original music that required sample clearances and it was released via paid subscriptions.

As someone who works in a creative field...you don't do pro bono work and then expect to be paid later. It's important to make the distinction between signed producers sending beats to signed artists back in the day...versus the internet era. If Swizz Beats sends 50 beats to Ja Rule and Ja picks one for his album....Swizz Beats ain't gotta worry about chasing Ja down for a check. His publishing label wouldn't dare let that song release for commercial consumption and legalities are already in place to protect his interest.

Fast forward to 2010...if Chuck Inglish sends 50 beats off the humble to Rick Ross...and Ross uses one for a mixtape that he sent to DatPiff and LiveMixtapes...that's on HIM. He shouldn't send ANY beats no more for free and demand a fee if the song is used...regardless if it's for commercial consumption or not. If Rick Ross puts Party Heart on his label backed LP....then we're talking something entirely different. If it Rich Forever releases TODAY...it is an album.

If there is evidence that that song was being performed live...Inglish would have due cause to seek legal action.

Easier said than done if you want to be put on. You want to be noticed by the upper echelon rappers.

The artist is at an advantage because the new dudes don't have their business right or the money for legal representation. Hell even established ones, like Zaytoven.

First they're sending beats hoping it will make an album. Regardless, if it's a mixtape doesn't matter. Because you're giving it away for free, I shouldn't be paid? I still worked. Just like a studio is or engineer is going to expect payment regardless if it's a mixtape.

DatPiff and Livemixtapes are paying for some of these mixtapes from established artist. To have the exclusive or have it earlier.

It was interesting when Bizarre pointed out how Joe switched up and was saying "I'm loyal to Royce". You can still be loyal Em and be honest about his music.

I don't know why you would expect to paid off Party Heart. That wasn't on a album and it was 2012. Before all this streaming ****

:lol:

Who works for free?

So they were donating charity to Rick Ross

and shouldn't you tell the producer I'm going to use this for a mixtape and not an album? He might have a mixtape fee versus an album. or give him the option?

Dudes will spend racks in the strip club, but not want to pay producers.

First they're sending beats hoping it will make an album. Regardless, if it's a mixtape doesn't matter. Because you're giving it away for free, I shouldn't be paid? I still worked. Just like a studio is or engineer is going to expect payment regardless if it's a mixtape.

Morally/Ethically, yes you should be paid. Work was done and said work was used to earn me some money, I should cut you a check. Business wise, you gave me them beats, no strings attached so no you shouldn't get paid.

Rick Ross did NOT commission Chuck Inglish to produce for him...so the idea of "who works for free" doesn't apply here. An engineer is essentially punching a clock. He's not working for free because you NEED him. He's not willingly performing his craft for a "placement".

Rick Ross did NOT commission Chuck Inglish to produce for him...so the idea of "who works for free" doesn't apply here. An engineer is essentially punching a clock. He's not working for free because you NEED him. He's not willingly performing his craft for a "placement".

It's common practice to give an artist a beat tape. That's been done in hip hop since the beginning of time. It's only recently that artist aren't paying producers. Before producers were being paid for beats even if they didn't make the album.

Normally the artist says, send me your beats. He knows who's beats he's selecting.

And the artist needs the producers.

There's no excuse for not doing it. You should be thankful I selected our beat so I'm not paying you.

What if a club or venue did that for an artist?

It’s not just em...this is pretty much everyone making music these days lol. *****s move like a gang. The entourage will come for you if you try to mess up their cash flow.
This. Look at what happened when Lil B said A Boogie sound like Dej Loaf.

So that Revolt show was just a one off and he still negotiating w Complex after all that bull****?

_'s just posturing for leverage. Joe doing all that Diddy ****. Complex telling Billboard that Joe not apart of the show anymore.

If Complex come with that bag all that **** he was talking going right out the window :lol::smh:

Back
Top Bottom