Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

He definitely is amongst Rap/Hip Hop Fans, because if you're a fan from a technical standpoint, he should've became bigger and accomplished way more than what he actually did. If you seen how his career, i think that signing to Diddy was a gift when it came to a blow up/successful/financial career, but it was a also a curse for him in his career longterm wise. Two reasons why it became a curse, the marketing of solely making him just a pop commercial friendly rapper by puff, was the wrong way to go. In rap, image is everything. They did right with his singles and radio hit songs, but his albums were filled with fluff. It was like a handful of songs that were jamming, but the rest would be skippables to the mass majority of fans that weren't from the EastCoast.

Mase should've signed a one album deal with puff only. Then afterwards, stayed cool with camron while building up Dipset with Cam and Jim and juelz to Flourish, while he could've released Mixtapes and Albums through Dipset/Rocafella. His career would've been legendary if that happens. If he doesn't smash Baby Maines Baby moms, while causing cats to die afterwards, he wouldn't have had to move away from ny while becoming a preacher. Remember, Cam already formed the Dipset while he Released his first and second album. Camron and Dipset took the Mase single hit song radio formula that badboy created with mase. But the difference is that they had the street edge to go along with their image/Mixtapes/albums. That was the missing aspect in mase career, he never created the street/edge image to go along with his image. Puff marketed and branded him as a pretty boy rapper that wasn't really street. Not saying that hes not actually street, but the marketing was way too poppy and soft.

It's hard to do what Big,Pac,Nas, and Hov,DMX, Pun, Snoop, and 50 cent/G-Unit ,and Camron/Dipset did throughout their careers. Put out hit singles that cater to the majority of the u.s. demographic, while still having a street edge/image that's likable from the people that are actually street. Basically it's hard to have the commercial appeal with people who aren't street love you, along with having the streets love you at the same time. Alot of times, either a rapper has underground success only, because they're a good rapper lyrically, while only catering to the streets. Then you have rappers like are strictly commercial marketed rappers such as Drake, Jack Harlow, Cardi B, etc where the singles are going to sell crazy, and nobody's worried about those artists albums quality, because the pop fans are going to eat up the album, no matter how good or bad it is.
ADVERTISEMENT​

This is also a reason why the genre has fallen so hard from a quality standpoint as of recently, because Rappers have sold out to make the genre a singles game only hustle right now. Albums in rap dont matter anymore. This is why Mixtapes and Albums are dead at the moment, because it's not about the skillset anymore. Its about pumping out 3 to 7 singles a year, see what sticks, then release an album full of fluff with maybe 3 to 4 songs that are the singles on it, then rinse and repeat the following year. Just alot of flash in the pan rappers who all sound the same as next.

I see where dude is coming from with the Mase/Nas stuff. In my opinion he's wrong, but it's the same way I feel about Brotha Lynch Hung. Dude has the flow and the rhymes to compete with and be on the same level as his peers from that time. Showed it every time he rapped with his contemporaries by either outshining them or showing that they belong in the same tier. However the subject matter, work ethic, self destruction, business politics whatever it may be held them back. In my opinion Lynch is as good or better than Daz, Kurupt, Tech 9, E40, Snoop ect ect he just didn't have the work ethic subject matter and catalog to be able to compete fully.

Far as double up, the album is terrible, but he was goin in on those verses. That’s actually the strongest aspect of that album, which lends itself to my whole point. Dude was a problem.

And again, takin into account the direction that hiphop took after the jiggy era, im guessing his music woulda came around.

He had ghostwriters for that album

Yep no one was rocking with Benzino in the PNW outside of Bootee and Rock the Party. The latter was on so many mix CD's as it always livened up gatherings but that's the extent. I remember listening to his diss track to Eminem once and never again.

I never knew Ma$e was held in such high regard

Dudes defended Nelly up here, I'm not even surprised anymore 🤷‍♂️

Mase had ghostwriters. Can he write, yeah, but not up to Puff's standards.

That was the whole, I probably made more off your album than you. That was Jay at Mase for Harlem World.

Puff had a team helping him do Double Up. Mysonne talked about it.

Back
Top Bottom