Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

hAVE yOu bEeN tO cAnAdA mUcH lESs tOrOnTo?

The fact that you posted this incredulous response without a hint of irony exactly proves my point. :lol:

:stoneface:

Your ignorance is crazy. You're actually trying to explain culture to Americans as if we don't have multiple cultures based on region, ethnicity and nationality :lol:

and our "culture" doesn't incorporate mocking other cultures.

That's why I asked if you were Jamaican, because for you to say we just mock and make fun of them is craaaaaaazy.

:stoneface:

Your ignorance is crazy. You're actually trying to explain culture to Americans as if we don't have multiple cultures based on region, ethnicity and nationality :lol:

and our "culture" doesn't incorporate mocking other cultures.

That's why I asked if you were Jamaican, because for you to say we just mock and make fun of them is craaaaaaazy.

:rofl:

the fake sanctimony over cultural differences is great. Perfectly on brand for Americans.

I'm not explaining anything. You're going to have to figure this out on your own. :lol:

I'm not going to help you.

:rofl:

the fake sanctimony over cultural differences is great. Perfectly on brand for Americans.

I'm not explaining anything. You're going to have to figure this out on your own. :lol:

I'm not going to help you.

1717507980097.png

oh for sure

I never thought to ask my boy so Ima ask later but do yall be imitating any other groups accents? or is it just jamaicans specifically?

It's amazing to me that people from diasporic communities who have manners of speaking that are the result of multiple cultures and languages living in close proximity to one another.

Are suddenly incapable of grasping how that process might play out in a different diasporic community with a different mix of cultures and languages.

All my life I've heard west Africans criticize black American culture as being " fake" or "degenerate".

And now I've lived long enough to hear Americans make the same brain dead arguments . :lol:

It's amazing to me that people from diasporic communities who have manners of speaking that are the result of multiple cultures and languages living in close proximity to one another.

Are suddenly incapable of grasping how that process might play out in a different diasporic community with a different mix of cultures and languages.

All my life I've heard west Africans criticize black American culture as being " fake" or "degenerate".

And now I've lived long enough to hear Americans make the same brain dead arguments . :lol:

you said all that and ain’t answer the question. I know yall have a huge Asian population and I have not one time heard none of yall affecting any kind of accent related to them.

it’s similar to how that Asian woman was online saying “conebread and colla greens” and people said SHE GREW UP IN THE SOUTH but wholetime she was just imitating Black American southern dialect.

I honestly have only seen this happen to certain groups and it’s just a pattern I picked up on. I get growing up around people but I’m asking about turning an accent on and off.

you said all that and ain’t answer the question. I know yall have a huge Asian population and I have not one time heard none of yall affecting any kind of accent related to them.

it’s similar to how that Asian woman was online saying “conebread and colla greens” and people said SHE GREW UP IN THE SOUTH but wholetime she was just imitating Black American southern dialect.

I honestly have only seen this happen to certain groups and it’s just a pattern I picked up on. I get growing up around people but I’m asking about turning an accent on and off.

A lot of people from the Caribbean go to Canada for high school and college.. and a lot people from Caribbean have migrated up that way

Zero clue what that gotta do with drake thou

Drake obviously having fun and trolling with the record. The feature is doing what it’s suppose to do. Going viral, gaining attention, and probably streams too.

I actually think its kinda catchy. Drake has been doing accents for about 14 years and ****** now want to write think pieces about it smh.

A lot of people from the Caribbean go to Canada for high school and college.. and a lot people from Caribbean have migrated up that way

Zero clue what that gotta do with drake thou

I’m hip. Ima have to chop it up with homie later cuz I got some questions for sure :lol:

I honestly have only seen this happen to certain groups and it’s just a pattern I picked up on. I get growing up around people but I’m asking about turning an accent on and off
ADVERTISEMENT​

Again you don't know anything about Canada which I get. So I'll explain this one time.

Canada for much of its early history had a much tighter immigration policy than American for example. Very little immigration in the 30s and 40s. (In fact the Chinese exclusion act specifically restricted immigration from Asia.)

This changed in the 1970s, a huge push to expand the population and grow the economy.

In Toronto much of that early wave of immigration came from the Carribean. Which obviously spawned a large communities, which made even more attractive to future immigrants from the Carribean. You got huge pockets of Jamaicans, Guyanese, Bahamian, ect

the immigrants from the Carribean in Toronto have been here longer than, and are more embded in the culture than the more recent east and south Asian immigrants. Which has made their culture much more embedded and influential, not to mention Carribanna weekend is probably the biggest cultural event in the city. So the Carribean diaspora is BY FAR the most visible and influential immigrant group in the city. Also being from anglophone former British colonies their influence on language is more impactful than people from non English speaking countries.

Then you add hiphop to the mix.

Because the majority of black people here are from the Carribean, Canadian hip hop is obviously highly influenced by Carribean culture.if you grew up in Canada at drakes age basically ALL of the biggest hip hop acts are children of Carribean immigrants. Kardinal Offishal, K-Os, Jellestone, Choclair ect. These people are performing music that combines African American vernacular English with Carribean culture.

Hiphop becomes the most popular form of music and makes Carribean influence even MORE powerful.

Another big influence in Toronto slang and lingo is arabic seaking people, and east Africans. Especially Somalian people's who also immigrated in large numbers. Immigrant communities in Toronto usually are combinations of people from the Carribean, arabic speaking people, and white immegrants from Portugal and Italy. South Asian came later.

So overtime a Toronto multicultural English vernacular developed. Which is essentially a mix of southern Ontario white English, various Carribean cultures and arabic slang, and African American vernacular English.

So in Toronto you will meet people of all backgrounds speak in this way/use the slag.

I've heard an Asian dude say "say whalahi" and I've heard a Chilean girl say "likkle" it's all part of the slang/culture. It's not gated or segregated.

TLDR;

Immigrants from the Carribean have been here longer, and hip hop becoming the most popular form of music has made Carribean influence on langue more powerful than other immigrant groups. Arabic slang is also very influential.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh ,

Serious question. When did Toronto start playing up the forced accent that is a mix of carribean-Somali-UK etc influence? I know some folks from there, and they said that **** is more recent :lol:

I know SOME people talk like that, but when did it become the dominant go-to for a certain demo of ppl in Toronto? Serious question

ADVERTISEMENT​

Again you don't know anything about Canada which I get. So I'll explain this one time.

Canada for much of its early history had a much tighter immigration policy than American for example. Very little immigration in the 30s and 40s. (In fact the Chinese exclusion act specifically restricted immigration from Asia.)

This changed in the 1970s, a huge push to expand the population and grow the economy.

In Toronto much of that early wave of immigration came from the Carribean. Which obviously spawned a large communities, which made even more attractive to future immigrants from the Carribean. You got huge pockets of Jamaicans, Guyanese, Bahamian, ect

the immigrants from the Carribean in Toronto have been here longer than, and are more embded in the culture than the more recent east and south Asian immigrants. Which has made their culture much more embedded and influential, not to mention Carribanna weekend is probably the biggest cultural event in the city. So the Carribean diaspora is BY FAR the most visible and influential immigrant group in the city. Also being from anglophone former British colonies their influence on language is more impactful than people from non English speaking countries.

Then you add hiphop to the mix.

Because the majority of black people here are from the Carribean, Canadian hip hop is obviously highly influenced by Carribean culture.if you grew up in Canada at drakes age basically ALL of the biggest hip hop acts are children of Carribean immigrants. Kardinal Offishal, K-Os, Jellestone, Choclair ect. These people are performing music that combines African American vernacular English with Carribean culture.

Hiphop becomes the most popular form of music and makes Carribean influence even MORE powerful.

Another big influence in Toronto slang and lingo is arabic seaking people, and east Africans. Especially Somalian people's who also immigrated in large numbers. Immigrant communities in Toronto usually are combinations of people from the Carribean, arabic speaking people, and white immegrants from Portugal and Italy. South Asian came later.

So overtime a Toronto multicultural English vernacular developed. Which is essentially a mix of southern Ontario white English, various Carribean cultures and arabic slang, and African American vernacular English.

So in Toronto you will meet people of all backgrounds speak in this way/use the slag.

I've heard an Asian dude say "say whalahi" and I've heard a Chilean girl say "likkle" it's all part of the slang/culture. It's not gated or segregated.

TLDR;

Immigrants from the Carribean have been here longer, and hip hop becoming the most popular form of music has made Carribean influence on langue more powerful than other immigrant groups. Arabic slang is also very influential.

This is actually spot on. Just answered my question below.

But When did this all happen tho? Seems like somewhere in the 2010s, the Toronto Accent as we know it now, hit. I know people my age from up there, and they really weren’t talking like THAT. Must be some younger demo **** too, with social media.

Back
Top Bottom