Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I think the problem with what she’s saying is that mans is really out in the field being active in the protests, and doing who knows what else behind closed doors. How does them posting a tweet mean anything in the grand scheme of things?

Also, aren’t there far more misogynistic rappers out there (some female rappers as well)? Yet they want to nitpick at Cole for not tweeting? How does that sound? I think the tweet posted up above pretty much sums it up. By the way, she’s since deleted her post.

Nothing you’re saying is wrong. I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m literally just telling you the part of the song they have an issue with.

I think it's on the fans - the celebrity culture is wack. Also social media is a problem too. We live in an era where you could be really putting in work, but if you don't post it, it never happened. If you do, you're either chasing clout, or you get "that's what you're supposed to be doing." It's kind of a lose-lose sometimes as a celebrity.

Facts. Caught myself doing this on K Dot like it’s his job to make a public statement.

I think the problem is she more than likely was never even talking about Cole :lol:

Which makes the response kinda weird

I thought she was talking about Kendrick. Which reminded me of this tweet :lol:
0FA6F12E-5AB8-495D-9704-E6C29CEAD645.png

but the song is a general song that a lot of people can pull something from.

The internet is the one who said it was a diss track.

It may not be a diss track but it’s weird that he decided making the song sound like it’s about one specific person instead of a group of people. If he had made this song about people who talk down on others who aren’t as aware as them this song would have hit differently. But choosing to say he knows one young lady in particular certainly looks like an attack.

Sometimes people have the right message and say it the wrong way. Cole messed up, everybody falls sometimes

It may not be a diss track but it’s weird that he decided making the song sound like it’s about one specific person instead of a group of people. If he had made this song about people who talk down on others who aren’t as aware as them this song would have hit differently. But choosing to say he knows one young lady in particular certainly looks like an attack.

Sometimes people have the right message and say it the wrong way. Cole messed up, everybody falls sometimes
Kendrick dont 👀

but the song is a general song that a lot of people can pull something from.

The internet is the one who said it was a diss track.

False Prophets was a general song too :lol:

I don't even think it was a diss but its pretty obvious Noname is the girl he was referring to in the beginning. She's one of the loudest voices on black twitter for the young ppl regarding this type of stuff and she be kicking the radical ****. He just went on twitter himself and acknowledged her as a thought leader

Bruh tone was just kinda off in this instance considering the timing, which is ironic because he's saying he not feeling her tone

He did though

Read through the song

He gave at least three perspectives in the song

He did though

Read through the song

He gave at least three perspectives in the song

I’m reading the lyrics, the majority of it is about the young lady and her timeline, then about her upbringing, then he questions her leading capabilities because of her methods, goes off on a lil tangent about mental shackles, then he goes back to telling her that her methods are wrong/flawed, then offers one last suggestion “respectfully”, and then the rest of the song is not about her

Cole shouldn’t have even dropped that song tbh, I feel like he thought this was about to go another way, and it didn’t :lol:

He on twitter now saying he just a _ that be rapping, he not well read enough to be a leader in these times, let’s be gentle with each other, follow Noname etc

I respect the honesty at least. I think fans be kinda thinking these _’s somebody else tho and Idk if thats on the fans, the artist or both

With everyone so emotionally charged right now...a blind man could have seen what discussions were going to pop up even if that wasn't his intent.

But at the same time, it's his art and it's his perspective...which is what hip-hop is supposed to be. I'd say he shouldn't have dropped it...only if he realistically had something to lose by doing so, which IMO he didn't. He's not getting "cancelled".

On the broader subject...I really caution against continuing to propel this ongoing gender war between black men and black women. I want no parts of it. Yes, there is a sect of black women who have some questionable views influenced by radical feminist thinking...and there's also a sect of black men who have problematic views in the opposite direction. But by NO means do they represent the whole enough to make these blanket statements of what "Black Women" and "Black Men" are.

Last edited:
I was ******** around. Twitter already tried cancelling him over that “Be humble” song

“People” will always be “mad” about something, we have to stop acting like 20k retweets equals that’s how the public feels. Twitter is not a real way to measure how the general public feels.
I remember that moment and it was overblown, not that many people were offended/upset as the blogs/magazines/influencer made it seem

I’m reading the lyrics, the majority of it is about the young lady and her timeline, then about her upbringing, then he questions her leading capabilities because of her methods, goes off on a lil tangent about mental shackles, then he goes back to telling her that her methods are wrong/flawed, then offers one last suggestion “respectfully”, and then the rest of the song is not about her

You're concentrating on the woman and equating it to her. Look at it in general terms. Because he's not talking about her and him. He doesn't know her parents. He's not saying he's not woke and he isn't active. So this isn't him and her.

He's also talking about how the methods to educate people who might not be woke as you.

Tone matters in the way they'll listen to you.

He also talks about his struggles with being successful

He changed it around to his struggles

With everyone so emotionally charged right now...a blind man could have seen what discussions were going to pop up even if that wasn't his intent.

But at the same time, it's his art and it's his perspective...which is what hip-hop is supposed to be. I'd say he shouldn't dropped it...only if he realistically had something to lose by doing so, which IMO he didn't. He's not getting "cancelled".

On the broader subject...I really caution against continuing to propel this ongoing gender war between black men and black women. I want no parts of it. Yes, there is a sect of black women who have some questionable views influenced by radical feminist thinking...and there's also a sect of black men who have problematic views in the opposite direction. But by NO means do they represent the whole enough to make these blanket statements of what "Black Women" and "Black Men" are.

People want a reason to be angry and "cancel" someone. Nobody will be talking about this in two days.

And in rap too many people take lyrics literal.

Lmao so the song isn’t about him and her although it’s starts off speaking directly about himself and him referencing a specific young lady. He did that, he kept using ”She” in reference to the “young lady” that he mentions not even halfway through the second bar.

His message of criticizing educated people’s methods of educating people is often brash and ineffective is valid, but he failed at relaying that message by specifically calling out one “young lady”. Had he said he knows “people” that are smarter than him and said “they“ instead of “she” this song would have been received completely different.

Go and read the lyrics with ”they” instead of “she” and see how the message isn’t lost

But at the same time, it's his art and it's his perspective...which is what hip-hop is supposed to be. I'd say he shouldn't dropped it...only if he realistically had something to lose by doing so, which IMO he didn't. He's not getting "cancelled".

On the broader subject...I really caution against continuing to propel this ongoing gender war between black men and black women. I want no parts of it.

Nah you right. He acknowledged himself that he may be right, may be wrong, but it’s honest and it’s how he feeling. That’s Hip Hop fasho

It’s just, like you said, the climate was gonna take this **** a direction in general. And what we left with is a distraction.

There’s a large contingent out there thirsting for that black men vs black women ****. A portion of that contingent aren’t even Black women. We can’t lay ammo out on a platter for them folks

We gotta stay focused.

people been going hard to cancel people and outwoke each other instead of continuing to apply pressure and spread info

Also Been a lotta gender division type **** the whole week on black twitter as there’s been a lot of female deaths notably the toyin girl
I seen girls say **** like “we done protesting for ******” all day lol

Been saying. Stay focused.

Lmao so the song isn’t about him and her although it’s starts off speaking directly about himself and him referencing a specific young lady. He did that, he kept using ”She” in reference to the “young lady” that he mentions not even halfway through the second bar.

His message of criticizing educated people’s methods of educating people is often brash and ineffective is valid, but he failed at relaying that message by specifically calling out one “young lady”. Had he said he knows “people” that are smarter than him and said “they“ instead of “she” this song would have been received completely different.

Go and read the lyrics with ”they” instead of “she” and see how the message isn’t lost

J Cole often speaks to a person for the bigger message, just like in Crooked Smile.

And I'm sure the people who can understand the message will receive it, because I understood it fine.

The people who want to concentrate on what Twitter says won't get it, and will never get it.

Back
Top Bottom