Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

That was moreso a misunderstanding and Drake was ruining Future's projects B4 DS2

Call it what you want. Future felt a way about it. Drake spun him. Strained their working relationship, until Drake came calling (again) in 2015.

But re-listening to this, and caught an interesting tidbit about how the labels Future was meeting with, were threatening not to clear Drake’s verse if Future didn’t sign with them. Typical industry stuff

It’s actually kinda wild Drake fans have given him a pass for being a pedo and the ghost writing… you don’t even have to bring up how “black” he is and it’s still insane people give him a pass for all of this.
Its kinda wild we put the pedo label on a rapper without any proof. Those are serious allegations. I dont even joke about those. Its weird how bad ppl want him to be a pedo.

1714507435172.png

1714507487014.png

Connecting the KDots be like…
IMG_0940.png

Them songs from 2013 and Drake even put him on tour with him (in 2013)

You tryna make it something it's not

*****, I’m saying one dude felt a way (out his own mouth) because other dude didn’t show up for his video :lol:

What is more than that? Obviously light enough to get past it and work together for a decade. Cmon now lol

Absolutely. It takes the sonic innovations on So Far Gone, the mix of singing and rapping and the southern influences
and distills them into what became basically the template big budget hiphop popular music for a good like 5 years.

it proves the commercial viability of his sound, launches a legion of imitations, some of which Drake would write for people,

being objective, i think it would be weird if you were writing about hip hops trajectory as and art from like 2009 to like 2013
and ignored the two super popular critically and commercially successful albums that spawned so many imitations from that time period.
It’s a little ironic to me that you have such distaste for white liberal takes on rap when this one reeks of a Pitchfork review. :lol:

So Far Gone was a mixtape, which I think is an incredibly important distinction for the art form and people have regularly credited Drake for a classic mixtape.

When most hip hop heads talk rap classics (because those are the people who I’d ultimately consider the arbiters), commercial viability is of little importance. Drake is the biggest commercial artist of this time, and rap as a genre has reached higher commercial heights than it ever has. I feel like reflecting on an album as classic, what artists imitated his sound following that for commercial success is of little importance. Especially when Drake’s sound is typically a mashup of different sounds that are popular at the time.

We’ve established what made SFG a classic mixtape, but outside of commercial success and commercial imitations that followed, think you absolutely need something more to hold on to name Take Care a classic, IMO.

Which tracks from Take Care can’t you tell that era of time without?

When most hip hop heads talk rap classics (because those are the people who I’d ultimately consider the arbiters), commercial viability is of little importance. Drake is the biggest commercial artist of this time, and rap as a genre has reached higher commercial heights than it ever has. I feel like reflecting on an album as classic, what artists imitated his sound following that is of little importance. We’ve established what made SFG a classic mixtape, but outside of commercial success and commercial imitations that followed, think you absolutely need something more to hold on to name Take Care a classic, IMO.

Which tracks from Take Care can’t you tell that era of time without?

IMG_6823.gif

Also interesting that Apple Music (and Drake’s team) considers “Take Care” his magnum opus.

IMG_6824.jpeg

I think this thread might hate Drake more than Kendrick does :lol:

I’ll give this one to Kendrick. The bars, the wittiness, the vitriol coming from each line was palpable. It closer than yall giving Drake credit for though. Push ups was a nice opening diss addressing multiple people. The joking bars just doesn’t hit the way Euphoria did. Aubrey will have to come out with a similar tone as Duppy next round. Tryna make a witty hit diss is not going to work against Dot.

*****, I’m saying one dude felt a way (out his own mouth) because other dude didn’t show up for his video :lol:

What is more than that? Obviously light enough to get past it and work together for a decade. Cmon now lol

What you missed in that is Drake took him off that tour for that if I remember correctly. Future was set to make 11 mil off it his biggest payday at the time. Future apologized they peaced it up and went on tour.

I think this thread might hate Drake more than Kendrick does :lol:

I’ll give this one to Kendrick. The bars, the wittiness, the vitriol coming from each line was palpable. It closer than yall giving Drake credit for though. Push ups was a nice opening diss addressing multiple people. The joking bars just doesn’t hit the way Euphoria did. Aubrey will have to come out with a similar tone as Duppy next round. Tryna make a witty hit diss is not going to work against Dot.

I don't hate Drake, I'm just a bit annoyed by him and largely indifferent. He's like the Taylor Swift of Hip-Hop: the most popular artist in the genre and of little actual substance or significance.

What you missed in that is Drake took him off that tour for that if I remember correctly. Future was set to make 11 mil off it his biggest payday at the time. Future apologized they peaced it up and went on tour.

Def forgot about that one too. Guess it was more than a “misunderstanding” huh alexody alexody ?

Funny to see Future say this about Drakes music in 2013, too. And he was correct

IMG_6827.jpeg

That Pusha T line is crazy! He gave Push is props and in the same line made it clear this can go way worse for you with me :lol:

This a friendly fade you should keep it that way :lol:

Def forgot about that one too. Guess it was more than a “misunderstanding” huh alexody alexody ?

Funny to see Future say this about Drakes music in 2013, too. And he was correct

IMG_6827.jpeg

Aye Wavy you cold and quick with it I tried to it find, but said **** it they gonna have to take my word for it lol

From what I hear Future never liked dude. Always was industry/ business relationship.

I for one am glad we’ll never get another drake x future track or even a drake x thugger/ysl track.

Drake stayed stealing the sauce and ruining classic tracks. THANK GOD FOR THE BEEF.
Now we just lying now :lol:

Most Drake x Future songs are great cohesively

We are now at the point we are saving Future carried Drake :smh:

This feeling like when Kobe fans saying he carried Shaq in the Finals

Back
Top Bottom