Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

sure i agree...but to a point,

imo Canibus's 2nd round knockout is a better more lyrical diss song than the Ripper Strikes Back

but unfortunately for me, no one thinks Canibus won that battle,

Ripper Strikes Back, people like that more as a song. so being more intricate lyrically doesn't auto win you any battle, the quality of the song also matters.

Nah, this isn't true

Most people at the time thought Canibus won, it's just that LL won in the long run, but that was based on careers and a terrible album

Just heard the track in the whip. It’s cool. The last 2 mins is fire, but the beginning kinda drags. What helps though is that it’s so lyrically strong that over time the hip hop pages and twitter will pick up on the disses and it will pickup steam over time like Euphoria. Drake gotta drop man

sure i agree...but to a point,

imo Canibus's 2nd round knockout is a better more lyrical diss song than the Ripper Strikes Back

but unfortunately for me, no one thinks Canibus won that battle,

Ripper Strikes Back, people like that more as a song. so being more intricate lyrically doesn't auto win you any battle, the quality of the song also matters.
I think it went that way because, at the time, Canibus was kind of a nobody...on the come up. Him being a bit rap nerd didnt help.

How are black Americans appropriating African culture.

You can't just make these blanket statements.

ME personally I think cultural appropriation arguments are stupid 99% of time.

i'm not here to police anyones africans and i think it's cool for black americans to give their kids african names, remix african tradition clothing, ect

but the current way people use the term cultural appropriation it totally fits.
so if you want to segrate culture like that it should go both ways.

dead (1).png

ME personally I think cultural appropriation arguments are stupid 99% of time.

i'm not here to police anyones africans and i think it's cool for black americans to give their kids african names, remix african tradition clothing, ect

but the current way people use the term cultural appropriation it totally fits.
so if you want to segrate culture like that it should go both ways.

so what is Drake appropriating?

This is how I KNOW Kendrick and Jermaine are close friends

He knew what this man could do and said nawwww I'm straight :rofl:
Over time I definitely understand him more :rofl:

Was some sucker **** after stepping foot in the ring but long term it was the right call for him :lol:, he really wasn't trying to get dissected like this by someone that he respects and rocks with and that's fair

Really not lost on me that Kendrick's using the same playbook against dude that he had originally used against Meek Mill :lol:

Dropped a song for the rap heads and dropped another more radio-friendly song in quick succession.

Treating him with the same amount of contempt Drake had for Meek but with even more personal disrespect

I think it went that way because, at the time, Canibus was kind of a nobody...on the come up. Him being a bit rap nerd didnt help.

You're probably right, but you don't see why I find this kendrick thing funny?

I was a hardcore Canibus fan, i was on that internet forum he had dissecting his lyrics, :lol:
nobody outside of very niche spaces was tryna hear about how dense the lyrics were.

the most lyrically dense raps HAVE NEVER carried the day in rap battles.

but now that I guess being a rap nerd is cool? everyone wants to act like the most intricate rhymes that require multiple readings to unravel are what wins a rap battle.

i used to be a much more intolerant rap nerd, but you grow up and you understand making songs that sound good is also important. That's why Im of fan of drake AND kendrick :lol:

Nah, this isn't true

Most people at the time thought Canibus won, it's just that LL won in the long run, but that was based on careers and a terrible album

see if i was young I would sit here and argue that Rip The Jacker is a classic album and Can-I-Bus is underrated.

but now as an adult I understand that the most difficult to decipher lyrics, dense lyrics are not the only thing that makes rap good. :lol:

we all grow and evolve, perhaps you will too one day. :lol:

Cultural appropriation is one of those terms that escaped from academia,
and normie people now deploy in the dumbest ways.

Y'all would have called Fela Kuti a culture vulture for creating Afrobeat. :lol:

This is how I KNOW Kendrick and Jermaine are close friends

He knew what this man could do and said nawwww I'm straight :rofl:
They came up around the same time frame.

I was at the XXL just trying to excel
Networking, meanwhile my stomach turning
Wanted to be a part of it, cater it to my audience
J. Cole running late, if he don't show up
Think I can take his place? Ladies start laughing
No pun intended, I ain't being sarcastic
Homie popped up with about twenty bags and
Fresh out the plane, I couldn't even complain
My ***** was on his hustle, I introduced him my name
Said I'll see him on the bubble in the future
My dude I salute ya, contributing the real ****

Talk about it, make the people talk about it, make the world see