Real talk, How do I dumb down my sense of humor

Since none of you probably understood what the hell I'm talking about from the topic, let me explain.

Person A talks about something.
Person B tells a joke regarding the topic that I can predict the moment he/she starts telling it.
I continue the joke with a "tail" that requires thought process and no one understands it even though I consider it to be fairly simple.

This is starting to bother me because it makes me look really dumb in certain situations
laugh.gif

Any good tips to help me become a better joker?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Stop being pretentious and just let the guy tell the joke.

This sometimes also occurs when I tell the first joke though.

And I believe I have never watched a full episode of Frasier (yeah, I know)

Don't take it upon yourself to finish someone else's joke. Rude.
Tell your own jokes on your own time not others.
If those folks don't get them then only tell them to a group of people that understand your sense of humor.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

Never actually thought about this but I guess it makes sense. But I still believe there are situations when continuing the joke is appropriate.

As stated before, its about knowing your audience. For instance, everyone isn't going to get a "no pun intended" joke. I tested something out in the office one day and everyone was rolling, but it wasn't even that funny to me. You can learn a LOT about prople solely off of what they laugh at.

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Never actually thought about this but I guess it makes sense. But I still believe there are situations when continuing the joke is appropriate.
There is, but in the case that you're explaining, these friends don't seem to be that situation. I deal with the same thing at times, you have to know the audience as people have said.

Maybe you're just not naturally funny. If so stop it, give an example. Like others said though, know your audience. It's not about dumbing yourself down, but about how to make your peers laugh. If it leads to be too dumb, like your audience is completely ******ed, bail. And you probably shouldn't hang out with them anymore.

Not butting into someone's joke would be a good place to start, since it is typically considered rude to interrupt someone in general. An exception would be probably be made for someone who is clearly stumbling through a joke and not delivering it well or just plain fudged the whole thing up.

And you have to know your audience, everyone's got different subjectivity for what's funny. For instance, my friends love Borat and Ali G. I'm not a huge fan, but I laugh sometimes. I love Dave Chappelle's delivery and stand up acts, but others simply don't find him funny and think he's racist. Different strokes for different folks.

It's not about dumbing down, it's more about understanding that not everyone shares the same brand of humor.

I'm glad I have a close knit circle of friends that share my EXACT humor.
pimp.gif

The conversations and jokes I have with this particular group of friends wouldn't necessarily work with another group of friends.

try picking up the pieces after the first joke is told, and no jokes like why did the black man wear a tuxedo to his vasectomy.

Originally Posted by Nickthestick91

Explain how you can continue a joke please.
nerd.gif

I don't mean that someone actually told a joke, but said a funny comment and I comment on that (or just the OG subject)

A lot of my friends are pretty cut-throat. If you can't speak quickly, proficiently, without dropping a beat....your sentences and trains of thought will be completed for you. I've seen this happen at my job as well.Jokes included
laugh.gif

I don't do this outside my circle of friends though (or try not too...unless you have a slow southern drawl and are wasting hella time).
Most people find it rude and condescending. OP, just let people finish what they want to say, even if you can predict what they are saying and already realize the punchline does not interest you.

It makes them feel better.

nerd.gif

I don't mean that someone actually told a joke, but said a funny comment and I comment on that (or just the OG subject)

sounds like youre trying to "one up". meaning someone has a funny story or joke, and yours has to top it or somehow relate solely back to you. dont be that guy.
but it's mostly about audience like someone else already said.

Originally Posted by chickhien

nerd.gif

sounds like youre trying to "one up". meaning someone has a funny story or joke, and yours has to top it or somehow relate solely back to you. dont be that guy.
but it's mostly about audience like someone else already said.
To me it's not about "one uping" but I definitely see your point and I might be doing it subconsiously.

And some of you guys might have understood me wrong. I don't interrupt the other guys joke.

I am guessing you just aren't funny. I imagine you tugging on your tie and saying 'Oh, tough crowd.' I sincerely doubt your sense of humor is so sophisticated that it is lost amongst your peers.

my dad is like that. witty and a jerk at times. always looking to out-think others lol. hes one of the people you either love or hate. just dont worry about it. be yourself

Back
Top Bottom