Recommend ONE dope album to NT

b0006ssrk601_sclzzzzzzz_.jpg

Yo M-16 I have a quick question. So I downloaded the louis Logic album and I dig it. Fill me in on the actual meaning or purpose of the song "The UglyTruth". I'm having some trouble understanding what he actually means

Originally Posted by SneakerLips

Yo M-16 I have a quick question. So I downloaded the louis Logic album and I dig it. Fill me in on the actual meaning or purpose of the song "The Ugly Truth". I'm having some trouble understanding what he actually means

Lot's of people ask this... here' the answer from Louis himself:

Ok I kept this question back cos I want you to give me a real deep look into the track it is called "The ugly truth" my boy was like ooh verycontroversial track explain the track to me?

The Ugly Truth is an educational song about real issues that I did not invent. People keep asking me about whether or not I am a racist, and I explain to them,the song is not about whether or not I'm a racist, or George Bush is a racist, it's about whether or not you, the listener are a racist. If you findyourself squirming through that song, maybe you should ask yourself why. I never gave it a second thought when I wrote all those horrible things, because Idon't need to. I know how I feel, and I don't need the approval of sensitive listeners who were freaked out by the song to feel good about what I did.If the song ruins your day, then you deserve it...period. There is no person so guilty as the %*$@+#$ in denial about the existence of racism all around us.The Ugly Truth is for you.

http://www.africasgateway.com/content/view/417/2/

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

6a00c22521073e8e1d00d41436f90f3c7f-320pi
Give me a reason to check this Nay, genre? I'll probably d/l anyway and find out.
Originally Posted by ps2child

yall missing out...

30v15cz.jpg
Same for you ps2child. I see Mick Boogie but I don't think it's rap
laugh.gif

This recommendation will probably fall on (a lot of) deaf ears, but what the hell...

slanted_enchanted.jpg

Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted.

Most dudes don't know this exists, because it technically doesn't - it got shelved. This was supposed to be Clipse's debut album. 16 tracks ofEARLY Neptunes
pimp.gif
:

9zrsir.jpg

Originally Posted by WE GET LIVE

Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted.
Awesome.
TheHoldSteadySeparationSunday.jpg

The Hold Steady -Separation Sunday
Separation Sunday is the second studio album by The Hold Steady, released on May 3, 2005 through Frenchkiss Records. A concept album, Separation Sunday follows the stories of Craig (the narrator), Holly (also known as Halleluiah), a sometimes addict, sometimes prostitute, sometimes born again Christian/Catholic (and sometimes all three simultaneously); Charlemagne, a pimp; and Gideon, a skinhead, as they travel from city to city and party to party. (All three characters made appearances on the band's previous album, Almost Killed Me, and reappear in "First Night", and "Same Kooks" on Boys and Girls in America, and then again in "Ask Her For Adderall", a bonus track from Stay Positive.)
Separation Sunday is lyrically dense, full of Biblical allusions[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_Sunday#cite_note-0[/sup], intertextual and self references (e.g., in "Don't Let Me Explode," when Holly is asked about Charlemagne, "she just smiled all polite-like and said something vague"; in Almost Killed Me's closing track, "Killer Parties," the narrator instructs listeners, "If they ask about Charlemagne/Be polite, say something vague"), word play, and puns ("Stevie Nix": "She got screwed up by religion/she got screwed by soccer players"). Vocalist/songwriter Craig Finn typically delivers these lyrics in a distinct flavor of sing-speak.

Musically, Separation Sunday engages Classic rock motifs -- guitar solos, riff-based structures, use of piano and organ, and guitar harmony. Structurally, however, most songs eschew the standard "verse-chorus-verse" song structure, frequently foregoing choruses or refrains all together. Separation Sunday's tight musicianship and muscular sound led Blender to describe The Hold Steady as "sound[ing] like the best bar band in the world."

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Most dudes don't know this exists, because it technically doesn't - it got shelved. This was supposed to be Clipse's debut album. 16 tracks of EARLY Neptunes
pimp.gif

9zrsir.jpg
A must for avid Clipse fans, but lets not act like it's a classic or anything.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Listen to this for the first time in a while yesterday:

canib-rip.jpg

Stoupe is a beast...
sick.gif
pimp.gif

One of the best albums of all-time.

Why? - Alopecia

Not sure how well this album is known on here - it's somewhere between electronic and rap music. It's pretty cool, definitely a little different butin a good way. Pitchfork did a good job summing up that sound in their review:
"Unclassifiable" is usually lazy shorthand for albums featuring both guitars and keyboards. Alopecia is a liquid in the sieve of genre: put it on headphones and it begs to bump; recite lyrics aloud and people will look at you with loathing usually reserved for religious leaflet canvassers and slam poets; try and decode the words in your head and you'll only hear the melodies behind them. As for his lyrics, it's wrong to call them stream-of-consciousness, since that implies Wolf is a poor self-editor; nothing about Alopecia is lazy. It's more like 5 a.m. journal entries cut up and turned to collage. Clearly, every line won't be pure gold, but they all add up to something.
Anyways - check it out if you haven't before.

Back
Top Bottom