Reddit > NT General Vol. Yeah, I said it.

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

Originally Posted by Bastitch

But all the funny videos/pics/gifs, hilarious comments, and worthwhile information you find here on NT, you could have seen on Reddit days earlier.

And there are sub-Reddits for just about anything.

Are there any regular Redditors on NT?
2v9olc7.gif
pimp.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

digg>reddit>nt

Digg is way cleaner and easy to read, but I'm genuinely curious why you think it's better (unless of course it's because it's cleaner, duh).

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Between:

The site hardly ever working correctly, or at all, for the last 2 years.
The awful, unfunny high schoolish humor and clique'ness mentality of most posters who joined post '05
The lack of posting by almost all who made this place funny back in the day
Terrible sense of community and goodwill towards other members
And the extreme lateness this place suffers from on nearly everything

I find almost no reason to continue checking in here the last 6 months. If not for the charity we donate and few people i still consider friends here, i wouldn't be disappointed to see this place torn down entirely. It's amazing the way other places operate by comparison - this truly is like junior high school by comparison, which sucks because I used to hold it up higher than everywhere else for the complete opposite reasons of the ones I listed above... but at some point this place got overrun by immature individuals who infected the entire board, and apparently it spread to the servers more recently.

I pity most of the mods who have had to watch the deterioration - people used to always claim this place wasn't the same years ago, and many of us told them it was just the same. But there's nobody who can tell me this place is like it was 7 or 8 years ago, and the only change that's been for the good is the charity money. I guess if that's the cost of making that happen, it's been worth it. Shame though about what was lost here.
Possibly one of the better posts I've seen on here in a while. Everything you say is on point.

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

Did you really post a thread where people are just regurgitating bits from a TV show as an example of "quality"?

Yep.  You'd never be able to get that type of depth of information from NikeTalk General.  Ever.

That's the quality of information you'd get from just the users.  In the same way you'd get quality information from the NikeTalk Nike Forum when it comes to Nike shoes. But I didn't need to go to a website dedicated to JUST Arrested Development to get that information. I chose that thread to prove that you can get quality information about pretty much anything because the user base is so diverse and vast.

Did you really post a thread where people are just regurgitating bits from a TV show as an example of "quality"?

The fact that you don't understand this just goes to show his point even more...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

digg>reddit>nt

Digg is way cleaner and easy to read, but I'm genuinely curious why you think it's better (unless of course it's because it's cleaner, duh).
Well I've been a Digg member for maybe... 3-4 years and imo the best thing about it is that the content enables you to pick and choose exactly what interests you. The blurbs allow for that, which reddit doesn't have. The organization of the site is much more user intuitive.

Now, reddit is still usually a bit more current on things and I use both, but I think digg uses a more Googlian approach to minimalism and organization.

Also, the comments on digg are usually much more convo-worthy. I've learned so much from the users on digg, some who may be in a specific field and give their viewpoints on something that I would've never known otherwise. Reddit has that, but to a lesser degree.

Here, on NT, most of the mature and serious convos are usually immediately corrupted or disrupted by gifs and troll behavior. At least on digg, you can bury people so we don't have to read irrelevant and dumb comments. NT could really use that feature. But it's too late... Most of the mature/older NT'ers have fled for greener pastures.

Yep.  You'd never be able to get that type of depth of information from NikeTalk General.  Ever.

That's the quality of information you'd get from just the users.  In the same way you'd get quality information from the NikeTalk Nike Forum when it comes to Nike shoes. But I didn't need to go to a website dedicated to JUST Arrested Development to get that information. I chose that thread to prove that you can get quality information about pretty much anything because the user base is so diverse and vast.
don't we have 100+ 200  400 +page threads about:

jewerly, polo, iphone, blackberry, lost da tv show, all equally as quality informative in their respective fields? i think you just getting old and w/e use to be relevant to you

just isn't relevant to this particular piece of demographic.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Between:

The site hardly ever working correctly, or at all, for the last 2 years.
The awful, unfunny high schoolish humor and clique'ness mentality of most posters who joined post '05
The lack of posting by almost all who made this place funny back in the day
Terrible sense of community and goodwill towards other members
And the extreme lateness this place suffers from on nearly everything

I find almost no reason to continue checking in here the last 6 months. If not for the charity we donate and few people i still consider friends here, i wouldn't be disappointed to see this place torn down entirely. It's amazing the way other places operate by comparison - this truly is like junior high school by comparison, which sucks because I used to hold it up higher than everywhere else for the complete opposite reasons of the ones I listed above... but at some point this place got overrun by immature individuals who infected the entire board, and apparently it spread to the servers more recently.

I pity most of the mods who have had to watch the deterioration - people used to always claim this place wasn't the same years ago, and many of us told them it was just the same. But there's nobody who can tell me this place is like it was 7 or 8 years ago, and the only change that's been for the good is the charity money. I guess if that's the cost of making that happen, it's been worth it. Shame though about what was lost here.
A #+%+*%* MEN!!!!!!

So I checked it out and I saw this Back to the Future post on there. There was insightful comments and I felt like I was chatting with people who saw the movie for the first time the same time I did. I learned some new things and then thought that a post like that wouldn't have gotten more than 11 or so responses and be on the 3rd page in a few short hours.

But that doesn't mean that NT sucks.

It boils down to 1 factor: age.

That site is definitely the 25-40 crowd whereas NT is somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-22, roughly. I mean, there are members of JJB that post on here for chrissakes. Sooo you can't really blame NT for being immature. That should be expected behavior.

Originally Posted by CasperJr

if anybody else would have made a thread abut another site and putting NT down at the same time !++* would have been locked in 0.001 secs...................nothing more to say
This.

smh.gif

I didn't know people read the general for knew news and information. I thought NT was a community of different people from different demographics that shared valuable life experiences. .

I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Fade On You

if anybody else would have made a thread abut another site and putting NT down at the same time !++* would have been locked in 0.001 secs...................nothing more to say
This.

smh.gif
I mean, yeah . Pretty much.

Originally Posted by Fade On You

This.

smh.gif
Except...what he said is true.  Niketalk has too many sophomoric comments from people concerned with being "cool".  Reddit is more concerned with specialized interests (through sub-reddits) and exploring those interests through intelligent and semi-intelligent conversations.  The trolls, at least the unfunny ones, get voted down and you drop the unintelligent, the annoying, and the flat out stupid.
For instance, I can go onto reddit and ask about nice, cozy places in the city and get some decent suggestions.

I come onto Niketalk with the same question, i can expect a bunch of "YNS" and 
roll.gif
 with no real contribution.

Niketalk was my first foray into internet forums but the more time i've spent on Reddit and Digg, the more I realize how incredibly childish most of the place is.

It's like a sanitized /b.  I still come back for the S&T though.  Reddit is filled with a bunch of unathletic peoples.

NT is what you make it. I've never gotten to the point where I was so disgusted by a comment or a person that I would give up posting here. The "sophomoric" comments aren't enough to deter me (or others) who've been around for a while to stop coming to the site. If you know where to go and post, you'll have a good experience. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here from all walks of life who have plenty of insight to add to various topics of conversation. I can understand being frustrated with the Yuku server. It sucks. However (IMO), there seems to be an elitist type of attitude from some folks in here on some "I'm too good to post on NT anymore" type of steez. I think that trumps any other reason some of you have come up with as to why you claim you've gone elsewhere because of the "current" state of NT. Again...NT is what you make it. There were clowns back in 2004...and there are clowns in 2010. Not much has changed other than the PYP guidelines.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

NT is what you make it. I've never gotten to the point where I was so disgusted by a comment or a person that I would give up posting here. The "sophomoric" comments aren't enough to deter me (or others) who've been around for a while to stop coming to the site. If you know where to go and post, you'll have a good experience. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here from all walks of life who have plenty of insight to add to various topics of conversation. I can understand being frustrated with the Yuku server. It sucks. However (IMO), there seems to be an elitist type of attitude from some folks in here on some "I'm too good to post on NT anymore" type of steez. I think that trumps any other reason some of you have come up with as to why you claim you've gone elsewhere because of the "current" state of NT. Again...NT is what you make it. There were clowns back in 2004...and there are clowns in 2010. Not much has changed other than the PYP guidelines.
and folks we have a winner..tell em what hes won Johnny....

This is like a second home to me, and its been the same since my first account got accepted.

Back in 03-04 People were claiming NT "Fell Off"

Back
Top Bottom