Religion - Real Talk

What situation would you rather find yaself in, one where u believe in sumthin and find out that it was false and there are no repercussions, or one where you dont belive in sumthin and it turns out to be real and then theres Hell to pay? Just puttin the question out there, since I see so much bashin of ppl who believe in religion and a higher power.

Why would people who don't believe in a religion have hell to pay when something turns out to be real?

Sounds dumb to me 

^ how does that sound dumb? Its like not beliving that smoking too much is bad for your health, so you smoke and smoke and then years later u suffer from lung cancer.

^ how does that sound dumb? Its like not beliving that smoking too much is bad for your health, so you smoke and smoke and then years later u suffer from lung cancer.

The best part about not believing in religion is you can just repent just in case on your death bed.

Just to be safe you can apologize to god or Jesus or whoever right before you die and you will be forgiven. It's the get out of jail free card.

So I personally don't believe in religion of any kind part agnostic part atheist ( i know sound contradictory but hey i can believe what i want) but i know that if I'm going to die just to be sure, if hell does exist il just be like my bad god sorry i didn't believe please forgive me....and BAM heaven here i come.

I just don't want to live my life by rules that child molesters create and enforce. I believe the bible was just written as a guideline for all the ******s that lived back in the day and were screwing up the world. So smart people over time were just like umm tell them to not kill and to stop worshiping a giant golden cow statue. People use religion too much as a crutch too but not getting into it all...

my 2 cents

I don't believe in anything, and refuse to be scared into believing anything.

I strongly believe that there is no God, and I find it disturbing that a lot of those who do believe in a deity, only do so to reach heaven/be rewarded .

I'm content with living my life to the best of my abilities and being as good a person as I can be. If there is no eternal paradise or if I'm not rewarded at the end of my life here on earth I simply don't care.
I'm happy in knowing that I'm  a good person just to be a good person, if no one sees or rewards my good deeds so be it.

And I'm positive that if there was a God he'd see who was believing to really believe, and who was just believing for the sake of believing.

Originally Posted by blackxme

I strongly believe that there is no God, and I find it disturbing that a lot of those who do believe in a deity, only do so to reach heaven/be rewarded .

I'm content with living my life to the best of my abilities and being as good a person as I can be. If there is no eternal paradise or if I'm not rewarded at the end of my life here on earth I simply don't care.
I'm happy in knowing that I'm  a good person just to be a good person, if no one sees or rewards my good deeds so be it.

And I'm positive that if there was a God he'd see who was believing to really believe, and who was just believing for the sake of believing.
laugh.gif
 why are you so insecure with your beliefs?! if you don't want to believe then hop off! no need to be "disturbed" by others' beliefs. You say you don't care but you already know you put so much effort in saying you don't. There is a difference between in not believe and refusing to believe. You just plain refuse. Like... does your non-belief matter in anyway? 

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

laugh.gif
 why are you so insecure with your beliefs?! if you don't want to believe then hop off! no need to be "disturbed" by others' beliefs. You say you don't care but you already know you put so much effort in saying you don't. There is a difference between in not believe and refusing to believe. You just plain refuse. Like... does your non-belief matter in anyway? 
And how does that make him insecure exactly? I swear people throw that word around too much.

To answer the question, better to be safe than sorry, no?

Even if there is no reward, isn't living your life the ''right'' way reward enough?

Yea I have always adopted the "Safe or Sorry" method.

But the only difference between me and a "Die Hard" Christian type, is I don't go sharing the gospel. So I ask, would I really be punished come Judgement day. I know I am a good person and anyone around me will also say the same.

Had this discussion with a female a few weeks back. She had an issue that I wasn't immersed into my faith. I said what does it matter? Why are you so hung up on it? I have high morals and high character. Isn't that what people with faith have? So you have an issue because I don't/won't LABEL myself?

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Even if there is no reward, isn't living your life the ''right'' way reward enough?
This is exactly what I'm saying. 
And to to the dude who called me insecure, I'm pretty certain in my beliefs or lack thereof. I don't understand how proclaiming that I vehemently don't believe makes me insecure. 
grin.gif

Also don't you find it disturbing that people simply believe to be rewarded? I sure do. 

Also don't you find it disturbing that people simply believe to be rewarded? I sure do. 
Can you elaborate on this thought a little? I have had a similar thought in my mind for a while but didn't know how to verbally explain it to others.

Also while on the subject of religion, a friend and I were discussing it. How do you feel about these ideologies:
For the most part, Western Men will probably be "pressured" (loosely used) into subscribing to a certain faith because of a woman. Either his mother at an early age, or his wife/s-o. This is because it is easier for a woman to subscribe to a thought process in which she is automatically placed in a followers role and men really are reluctant to do the same.

Just want to know what others think about that.

This is exactly what I'm saying. 
And to to the dude who called me insecure, I'm pretty certain in my beliefs or lack thereof. I don't understand how proclaiming that I vehemently don't believe makes me insecure. 
grin.gif

if you think about it that way then why do people work so hard in school? not because they want to but because they want to be rewarded in the end.
it can go both ways because some people genuinely do work hard because they believe it is part of their duty to develop their skills and talents.
The same can be applied to Christianity, why do people believe and have faith? Simply because they believe it is the right thing to do.
I'm sort of rambling but hopefully that made sense

Originally Posted by luxurious24

What situation would you rather find yaself in, one where u believe in sumthin and find out that it was false and there are no repercussions, or one where you dont belive in sumthin and it turns out to be real and then theres Hell to pay? Just puttin the question out there, since I see so much bashin of ppl who believe in religion and a higher power.
with so many religions in the world (even if they are essentially the same), chances are you're wrong anyway. So i rather just live by "the world is my country and my religion is to do good" philosophy.
smile.gif

The difference is that you KNOW (or are sure depending on how the economy is) that if you work hard in school you will be rewarded AFTER school. Good grades, good job, good money, good womens, good life.

With any faith, you are working hard for a MAYBE you don't KNOW if you are going to be rewarded or not. You are just hoping that you will be.

Understand where I am going with this?

What is considered living the right way?  There are so many egregious falsehoods in books that are considered to be the gospel.  If you lived your life according to the bible, perpetuating such hatred and intolerance, you'd be a terrible person. Sadly, by definition, "by the book" is the way religions should be followed.  The 'word' is not open to interpretation, so veering from it is just a disservice to the religion itself.  It only confirms that religions are paper tigers.  So if you followed your religion as you should, you'd be the worst kind of person, yet the truest kind of follower. 

I hear you DC. I'm not hoping though, I know that when I die I will go to heaven. There's no doubt in my mind about that.
I think it's the same for most christians....or anyone who truely believes in whatever it is that they believe in

Blackxme pretty much sums up my views on religion. Would the people in religion still be in religion if the "reward" was feeling good about yourself instead of going to heaven/paradise. Whatever happened to being good for the sake of being a better person?

As strongly as you believe that you will go to Heaven after you die, you have to understand that it is still FAITH. Faith is based on what you believe and not what you KNOW will happen.

You don't KNOW that you are going to heaven.

You can say that there is no doubt in your mind and I believe you, but that doesn't mean you KNOW.

We are just arguing terminology here.

Knowing and KNOWING are two different things.

I would say that the majority of people in this country need a reward in order for them to do something. For most people, doing right simply isn't good enough.

For most things in this country, we have obvious punishments for wrong doing. It's not always the case for doing right, for it is expected.

Blackxme pretty much sums up my views on religion. Would the people in religion still be in religion if the "reward" was feeling good about yourself instead of going to heaven/paradise. Whatever happened to being good for the sake of being a better person?

haha it's like I'm in ethics class again. We would sit there the whole class period discussing if the blue cup is really blue and is in fact a cup.
what do we really KNOW then? if that's the case it's not a whole lot

Back
Top Bottom