Religion - Real Talk

[h1]"Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people" - Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney[/h1]

I've found myself falling out of the paradigm of religion but I do still study them as it provides certain perspectives on things and our existence. That's not to say I look down on it because I dont but simply I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me.

^^Yea, weak minded people, those that just take what they want from it or follow it blindly. Religion is in place to help us live a better life, point blank. Every law, commandment is there to help us get the most of our time on earth. Its so true you know, that the best place to hide the truth sometimes is right in the open for all to see.

Originally Posted by Clever

Religion doesn't make sense to a modern world. In a sense religion is only used as a way to keep people in check....

Christian clergy scandals with pedophile priest who molest children,

The Palestine and Israel people fighting over the "promised land"

Extreme Muslims killing people

Is that really what "God" would have wanted?

I think religion was only used to keep people in check, because it gave them a promise of a good afterlife....

The way I see it.. I'm going to do good things because its the right thing to do... not because i want to go to heaven.

If god is really all knowing and understanding, then I'm sure he will get me when I die... if he even does exist.
THIS

And for the does Christianity have a superiority complex thing.  They believe everyone else is wrong but if they repent they can be forgiven.  So its not like they will all burn in hell.  When you are judged in front of god you can just say my bad.  Aka open them gates i'm coming through.  Christians are all forgiving

That's another thing that blew my mind, that people will follow a religion over another because it will let them do certain things. Like..really?

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by Clever

Religion doesn't make sense to a modern world. In a sense religion is only used as a way to keep people in check....

Christian clergy scandals with pedophile priest who molest children,

The Palestine and Israel people fighting over the "promised land"

Extreme Muslims killing people

Is that really what "God" would have wanted?

I think religion was only used to keep people in check, because it gave them a promise of a good afterlife....

The way I see it.. I'm going to do good things because its the right thing to do... not because i want to go to heaven.

If god is really all knowing and understanding, then I'm sure he will get me when I die... if he even does exist.
THIS

And for the does Christianity have a superiority complex thing.  They believe everyone else is wrong but if they repent they can be forgiven.  So its not like they will all burn in hell.  When you are judged in front of god you can just say my bad.  Aka open them gates i'm coming through.  Christians are all forgiving

^yea but you have to repent b4 you die, and it has to be with a trully contrite heart.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

That's another thing that blew my mind, that people will follow a religion over another because it will let them do certain things. Like..really?

Example.......

There's a woman at my brother's job who said that she went from Islam to Christianity because she wanted to eat pork.

DC has really brought up some valid points and questions. Kudos to him.

But back to what I was initially talking about, the whole idea that you'll be rewarded at the end of your life for believing, this seems to be the problem with some so-called believers.
I can't fathom how people go around actually believing in a god just to be on the safe side, if there was a god and he was omniscient he'd see through people's b.s. As I and a few others
said why not be a good person for the sake of being good? A lot of people refuse to do things because they won't be rewarded for them which I also find sad, if you're not willing to help out a fellow
human being or do good deeds just to do them, then you should take a look at yourself and reevaluate some things. Nothing really beats that feeling of knowing that you somehow have helped someone or done something good, even if there is no reward you should be satisfied in knowing you've done good. Again I'm reiterating some things that have already been said.

Another point I'd like add is that it doesn't take a religion for you to build up some kind of moral structure for yourself, many things that we deem bad should come from common sense, not a
holy book. It doesn't take the ten commandments or what have you to know that killing, stealing, cheating, etc are bad things. Knowing right from wrong only takes some kind of brain power, but for those
of you that do need a religion to really provide structure in your life then by all means go ahead and do it, I just don't feel that it's necessary to do so at all.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

There's a woman at my brother's job who said that she went from Islam to Christianity because she wanted to eat pork.
roll.gif
Was she SERIOUS. Is she a devout follower of her religion though?

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

To answer the question, better to be safe than sorry, no?

Even if there is no reward, isn't living your life the ''right'' way reward enough?

What is considered living the right way?  There are so many egregious falsehoods in books that are considered to be the gospel.  If you lived your life according to the bible, perpetuating such hatred and intolerance, you'd be a terrible person. Sadly, by definition, "by the book" is the way religions should be followed.  The 'word' is not open to interpretation, so veering from it is just a disservice to the religion itself.  It only confirms that religions are paper tigers.  So if you followed your religion as you should, you'd be the worst kind of person, yet the truest kind of follower. 

Here you go again, taking what you want from the bible to use it in your hatred for religion.

Intolerance? How? Hatred? How? I try to live by the bible so explain to me how I would be a terrible person please?

For the record, I don't believe in "believing just to believe". God will judge all by the heart. A lot of people go to church EVERY Sunday just to be on the safe side. But that's not really an indication of where their heart is. I believe in God/Christ because they greatly appeal to me. I'm not perfect but I believe it has made me a better, more understanding person. It has kept me out of a lot of trouble too thus far. Others view it as brainwashing hogwash, but I look at it as guidance.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

And how does that make him insecure exactly? I swear people throw that word around too much.
You're still bent out of shape for getting called insecure?
laugh.gif

Back to the topic:

I personally belive religion is a hoax and for the weak minded. Human beings need a crutch to combat the fear of dying. The very thought of "lights out, nothing happens" terrifies the %$+% out of a majority of people.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

And how does that make him insecure exactly? I swear people throw that word around too much.
laugh.gif

Back to the topic:

I personally belive religion is a hoax and for the weak minded. Human beings need a crutch to combat the fear of dying. The very thought of "lights out, nothing happens" terrifies the %$+% out of a majority of people.

But what about the people who don't focus on the after life or dying, but just improving the world around them? Is it still a crutch?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

laugh.gif

Back to the topic:

But what about the people who don't focus on the after life or dying, but just improving the world around them? Is it still a crutch?
Then one could argue that they are closer to spirituality which is totally different than religion. At least imo.

Even if there is no reward, isn't living your life the ''right'' way reward enough?

What is considered living the right way?  There are so many egregious falsehoods in books that are considered to be the gospel.  If you lived your life according to the bible, perpetuating such hatred and intolerance, you'd be a terrible person. Sadly, by definition, "by the book" is the way religions should be followed.  The 'word' is not open to interpretation, so veering from it is just a disservice to the religion itself.  It only confirms that religions are paper tigers.  So if you followed your religion as you should, you'd be the worst kind of person, yet the truest kind of follower. 

Here you go again, taking what you want from the bible to use it in your hatred for religion.

Intolerance? How? Hatred? How? I try to live by the bible so explain to me how I would be a terrible person please?

For the record, I don't believe in "believing just to believe". God will judge all by the heart. A lot of people go to church EVERY Sunday just to be on the safe side. But that's not really an indication of where their heart is. I believe in God/Christ because they greatly appeal to me. I'm not perfect but I believe it has made me a better, more understanding person. It has kept me out of a lot of trouble too thus far. Others view it as brainwashing hogwash, but I look at it as guidance.

Sorry, bible was an example.  I even said "books" as a generic term.  But yeah, I think if you abide by the bible to the letter of the law, you'd be a bad person.  Think of all of the statements in the bibles smiting this, murdering that, if you believe some of those things are punishable you are not anyone that I'd consider to be a kind person.

And please, RKO2004, I don't need the bible to back my hatred for religion. The religious nutjobs make it easy enough.  I always contend the religious people that command respect are the ones that I find the most appalling.  The evolving religions are the biggest jokes of all.  And that is saying a lot.

Not believing is the easy way out. That way you can go through life scared of accepting what may be true while criticizing those who try from the sidelines.'Religion is flawed because man is flawed' 

Sorry, bible was an example.  I even said "books" as a generic term.  But yeah, I think if you abide by the bible to the letter of the law, you'd be a bad person.  Think of all of the statements in the bibles smiting this, murdering that, if you believe some of those things are punishable you are not anyone that I'd consider to be a kind person.

And please, RKO2004, I don't need the bible to back my hatred for religion. The religious nutjobs make it easy enough.  I always contend the religious people that command respect are the ones that I find the most appalling.  The evolving religions are the biggest jokes of all.  And that is saying a lot.

As I recall, we are told not to murder and list of other things. You can't judge all of us or God, by mislead followers. All things have people involved who don't properly represent it. That doesn't mean that the system is a bad system.

What do you think makes a good person btw?

not believing is easy? It's not easy accepting that your fate is worm food, not golden handjobs, playing with former pets and snuggling with dead relatives

Originally Posted by Henri2310

Not believing is the easy way out. That way you can go through life scared of accepting what may be true while criticizing those who try from the sidelines.'Religion is flawed because man is flawed' 

This is a reality for some but definably not all.

Not believing is the easy way out?
laugh.gif

On the contrary my friend, I think it takes a lot to actually deny and be proud of being an atheist, especially in America where we are viewed by many as evil.
I don't think it takes much to believe in a diety, or I should say it's more common to be brought up in a certain religion and hold on to those beliefs as you grow up, never questioning
or doubting what you've been told, therefore thinking eternity in paradise awaits you.

Hell I'd love to believe that there's paradise waiting for me at the end of my life, but then I would be lying to myself.

not believing is easy? It's not easy accepting that your fate is worm food, not golden handjobs, playing with former pets and snuggling with dead relatives
If you don't believe why should those things matter? 
blackxme wrote:
Not believing is the easy way out? 
laugh.gif

On the contrary my friend, I think it takes a lot to actually deny and be proud of being an atheist, especially in America where we are viewed by many as evil. 
I don't think it takes much to believe in a diety, or I should say it's more common to be brought up in a certain religion and hold on to those beliefs as you grow up, never questioning
or doubting what you've been told, therefore thinking eternity in paradise awaits you. 

Hell I'd love to believe that there's paradise waiting for me at the end of my life, but then I would be lying to myself. 

There isn't always paradise waiting at the end. There is judgment. Its much easier not believe because its one less things on your guys mind. Its much harder to try and accept a God into your life that cant be proven, cant be seen, nor cant be put into statistics or numbers. In today's society that challenge is harder than ever. I could easily just say I don't believe in God and not worry about it for the rest of my life. Being devote and truly believing means to fully accept it into your life, not for a day, nor a week, or a year, but for your entire life and eternity. Thats a much bigger commitment that this short life on Earth we have and not believing in anything. 

What the OP is describing is called Pascal's Wager. The problem with it though is that if there really is a God and he has the powers people speak of and you fear, he will know your intentions. If he is an all powerful being, do you really think you can beat him on a technicality by saying you will believe just in case so you don't go to hell? Answer is no. By the way, I do not believe in religion.

Those things matter because I know when you say goodbye at a funeral you say goodbye forever.

Back
Top Bottom