Remeber the History Of Air? ...well why couldn't Nike do it with cross trainers?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

heelntoe-wit-my-nyks, do the chloros even count? It's going on a decade since they were last a GR. I dont consder a 250 pair run as a worthy "release". I get PMs almost weekly about people asking where they can get 2000 chlorophylls. They know what they want and Nike is not answering the call. No joke, I dare anyone to step foot in a gym with the chloro at1s or the zt1 on and you'll get 50,40, even 60 years olds telling you how they remember when they had those almost 20 years back.. It's really fun trying to tell those dudes the only hope of them getting is a pair is searching ebay for an inflated $150-200 dollar pair. In their eyes, what they seem to remember, is when they were younger they could go into any shoe store and pick out a pair. It's heartbreaking telling these older people that it's not so easy anymore.
Beyond the Legacy pack there was a release of Sportwear box chloro AT1's.  I have no idea the production numbers on those but I was able to get mine for $90 shipped no problem.  Still not a true GR, though.  Strange how those released.

The Air Max line has gone off on a few tangets over the years, a few different types of cushioning. Sometimes, that Air Max with new cushioning had the year of issue added to it's name,
denoting it as the 'top tier' Air Max for the year, other years it didn't.

That said, i think the Air Max is generally *perceived* as having a more cohesive history than the Air Trainer.

Some of the models discussed are viable enough candidates, but a 'History of trainer' focus seems not so viable.

...and Nike are just stalling us on the Griffey 2. They know it's a guaranteed sucess, they're putting out some other Griffey shoes in the interim.

Wally:

Good/great idea but like others have stated Nike is happy watering their money tree with running shoe profits. I'd think us "cross-trainer afficionados" fall into a more specific target market that Nike is overlooking or putting in 3rd place behind their bread & butter categories of running & basketball.

I'd like to see this happen but you know the drill - poor execution with ridiculous colourways & piss poor material/leather substitutes with the bonus of a jacked up price tag due to their "exclusivity" - resellers will go ape**** on these to some extent I'm sure, followed by a possibly apathetic crowd response since these models are more esoteric compared to what the average joe sees in stores.

Specific models named (SC II, TX for sure, etc) are a very necessary must to retro for Nike, others can be chopped off the list. I'm surprised at your choice of Air Barrage (inspiration? Will Smith rocking them in Bad Boys?) but yeah Nike has indeed rocked the Air Trainer/football link for a while now.

Going back to your list, Wally - mannnnn it's tough to narrow it down Maxim Girl Next Door style; I'd submit the Air Zoom Seismic, Air Ubiquitous (loved that shoe in the OG cw) Air Screech, Air Bokul, Jokul, Sokul line for consideration... BUT I know you're keeping it sexy with JUST 7 models...

My only wish is that if Nike is going to do this, do it with the right materials & an affordable price tag per shoe.

I hope Nike reads this & approaches / hires you damn it as a consultant. They need new blood for inspiration on their "older" products.

I completely disagree with those saying the History of Trainer idea wouldn't work. Man, Nike's got all the marketing they need for that line built in. Get Bo, McEnroe, and Agassi to do a few commercials or ads and there's hype enough to move shoes. When you think of Air Maxes, what famous athletes do you think of?....none. When the common consumer  thinks of Nike, who do they remember?Bo, McEnroe, Agassi....
With that said, the shoes Nike would put out with that line would probably be garbage anyways...
ohwell.gif

All I know is, Nike has to start somewhere. This idea doesnt seem too far fetched and has worked in the past.

Without writing a whole set of paragraphs, anyone who remotely knows anything about nike's cross training past would tell you, theres atleast 40-50 models crammed into a 5 year span. From Lows and Highs of a particular model, to a total price point TIER system Nike set into place. How does the average consumer right now grasp that sort of craziness. I've been messaging suguruvstotoro the last day or so going through many photos and even for us, somewhat in the know find it overly frustrating and a cause of many headaches.

Nike saw fit to create the HOA project on runners.
-Show people a timeline and chart
-Let people re learn the past that they may have missed or LEARN it all from scratch.

I've made my voice clear here about trainers. youll hear no more of it from here on out. im sure many are sick of it.

Jordans, Maxes, Lebrons, Kobes, Trainers.... It's all about marketing.

If Nike decides to DO IT, believe me, cross trainers will be a great success.
The only things they need is:
-Respect for the models (names, CWs and materials.... so simple to write but difficult to see)
-Great campaign
-Reasonable prices

Originally Posted by Mayhemgatz

i'm with it...Pillars and SC II's are long overdue
tired.gif

Double-triple co-sign!!!

Wally, good call!!!  Perhaps the Trainer Huarache can make a comeback with the same c/w they retroed in 2000-2001 with the black greyish blue, I slept on those hard!

Back
Top Bottom