Rent Forever, Don’t Buy A Home

If you need a renter to help you pay the mortgage then you're doing it wrong.If you have multiple properties and that's your businessthen fine; it's a diff story. 
Who said they need a renter?

They are supposed to leave the house uninhabited,
laugh.gif
.  They move and rent out their crib.  It's flexibility, most of the time they rent out to family members or friends.

Dealing with renter is  a pain in the @#@. Heard this from everyone who's done it. Also depending on the state the renter can pretty do much whatever they want and the landlord has little recourse but a protracted court battle while not being paid rent.
Draw up lease agreements, and take legal action accordingly.  Evict the tenant based on your agreement, of course these laws vary state by state.  In California there are a lot of laws that protect the tenant from landlords, but once the tenant starts to +@!% up, the tables turn.

If you need a renter to help you pay the mortgage then you're doing it wrong.If you have multiple properties and that's your businessthen fine; it's a diff story. 

laugh.gif
.  They move and rent out their crib.  It's flexibility, most of the time they rent out to family members or friends.

Dealing with renter is  a pain in the @#@. Heard this from everyone who's done it. Also depending on the state the renter can pretty do much whatever they want and the landlord has little recourse but a protracted court battle while not being paid rent.
Draw up lease agreements, and take legal action accordingly.  Evict the tenant based on your agreement, of course these laws vary state by state.  In California there are a lot of laws that protect the tenant from landlords, but once the tenant starts to +@!% up, the tables turn.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

So much misinformation in that article and in this thread.
Speak up. Don't just come in and make statements like that. Not really contributing to the thread. I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the topic.

Originally Posted by ScarsOrScabs

So much misinformation in that article and in this thread.
Speak up. Don't just come in and make statements like that. Not really contributing to the thread. I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the topic.

I'll keep buying homes. You keep renting them from me. Deal? Deal.

Bottom line.

Owning multiple properties is a risk.  I know someone that owned 10 homes during the boom and busted on 9 of them, all he has is the one he lives in. 

Bottom line.

Owning multiple properties is a risk.  I know someone that owned 10 homes during the boom and busted on 9 of them, all he has is the one he lives in. 

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

laugh.gif

It's not as rosy as you paint it.
Maybe renting to friends/family is a bit easier or renting a house where you don;t reside. 

Again, being a landlord if that's your business. Otherwise it's  pain. Every one I've talked to who has rented while living there has regretted it.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

laugh.gif

It's not as rosy as you paint it.
Maybe renting to friends/family is a bit easier or renting a house where you don;t reside. 

Again, being a landlord if that's your business. Otherwise it's  pain. Every one I've talked to who has rented while living there has regretted it.

even when you own the title to a property, you still have to pay property taxes. So in america when you own ur property, you still are paying for. Home ownership imo is just another form of glorified renting in america

even when you own the title to a property, you still have to pay property taxes. So in america when you own ur property, you still are paying for. Home ownership imo is just another form of glorified renting in america

Ive been thinking bout this. Ive gone to 12 different schools now, so its clear Ive moved around a lot, and honestly I only think I'll be moving around even more as I get older, at least I somewhat hope so. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy a house to live in. I guess I've kinda figured the first time I buy a property it'll be more of a vacation spot (maybe back home?) and it'll have to be straight cash. Half the reason I even think about it would be so my fam could use it most of the year if they wanted to.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

You're talking about running a residential property business. That's not what the article is talking about. 
In order to run a residential property business you need to #%@!#@! own residential property. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

You're talking about running a residential property business. That's not what the article is talking about. 
In order to run a residential property business you need to #%@!#@! own residential property. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Ive been thinking bout this. Ive gone to 12 different schools now, so its clear Ive moved around a lot, and honestly I only think I'll be moving around even more as I get older, at least I somewhat hope so. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy a house to live in. I guess I've kinda figured the first time I buy a property it'll be more of a vacation spot (maybe back home?) and it'll have to be straight cash. Half the reason I even think about it would be so my fam could use it most of the year if they wanted to.

6 or 7 years ago all the experts were saying you should buy a home and that renting was stupid.

Here's the reality, of this and every other financial thing in life: there are no hard and fast rules for what to do. It depends on your situation and it depends on the market/future (some of which you can try to be smart about but most of which is completely random unless you have insider information).

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Ive been thinking bout this. Ive gone to 12 different schools now,
You teach or something? Why do you move around so much. You in COllege?

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Ive been thinking bout this. Ive gone to 12 different schools now,
You teach or something? Why do you move around so much. You in COllege?

6 or 7 years ago all the experts were saying you should buy a home and that renting was stupid.

Here's the reality, of this and every other financial thing in life: there are no hard and fast rules for what to do. It depends on your situation and it depends on the market/future (some of which you can try to be smart about but most of which is completely random unless you have insider information).

Originally Posted by What up

Owning property definitely ties you down to a location. You just have to absolutely love where you live, otherwise home ownership is like an albatross around your neck.

A lot of folks live in areas where rent is very affordable. However, you're you're dishing out $1200+ for an apartment, put that towards something you'll (hopefully) have forever. Just my two cents considering I just went through this process.
*Takes notes* 

Originally Posted by What up

Owning property definitely ties you down to a location. You just have to absolutely love where you live, otherwise home ownership is like an albatross around your neck.

A lot of folks live in areas where rent is very affordable. However, you're you're dishing out $1200+ for an apartment, put that towards something you'll (hopefully) have forever. Just my two cents considering I just went through this process.
*Takes notes* 

This is absolutely the worst advice I have ever witnessed.
My concepts may be a little varied because I live in Canada.

Owning a property is he best investment you can make. It's roughly 5% COMPOUNDED growth in my area and often jumps up much higher, but has never fell close to 5% in a year.

you will never be able to fully make the space yours. Every apartment I've lived in I wanted to change things to suit my lifestyle better and it wasn't going to go down. You have complete freedom when you own.

DC...
A form of debt? Rent is viewed as a form of debt/expense to lenders. $1000 a month to mortgage or to rent is still $1000 to have a place to live. However, the space you rent has absolutely no 'asset worth' to you.

Back
Top Bottom