Resellers are NOT killing the "game"

I hate got a few good deals from Resellers...just the other day I bought some Fire Red VIs for $185 dead stock...yes I paid about $30 more then retail but I figured it was worth it. Buyer orginally wanted $220 for them...to me it all agrees on the shoes. I would never pay $4k-$6k for two pair of Lebrons or $2k for a pair of Yeezy 2s (ridiculous...even though I can afford it) better then to do with that kind of money...but in the end...to each their own

How can you hate on people that re-sell, it's so weird. All they are doing is buying stuff and making a [b]small[/b] profit. This is Nike Talk everyone is basically buying $30 sneakers for $140 the re-sellers should be the least of your worries. I doub't they are turning the same profits as Nike. I say let themk have there $50 top up on a shoe they have Q'd for.

define what you mean with small profit? :smh: just take a look at foams galaxy, yeezy, hyperdunk galaxy, KD scoring title, etc they resell at 2 times even 5 times retail price . those kind of profit you think it is small? :x

OP, since you talk about economics, allow me to offer an argument using economics on why people might hate re-sellers, let me know what you think.

Case without re-sellers
  • Nike sets some flat retail price for a particular shoe, and all buyers pay this same price
  • The "value" of the shoe is different to different buyers, some value it at retail, others who value it more, i.e. would have been willing to pay more than retail
  • Those who value it more than retail, but only have to pay retail, therefore would be getting certain amount of "additional" benefit or happiness from a retail purchase
  • In this case, some total amount of net happiness is created across the entire sneaker-loving community, by summing all the differences between the maximum each buyer would have been willing to pay and the retail price they actually had to pay
Case with re-sellers
  • Enter re-sellers, many who can care less about shoes, but driven by the motive to profit from other people's hobby, gobble up large % of the stock
  • Re-sellers subsequently auction off the product, or list at very high prices then slowly dropping prices, to individuals in the sneaker community, getting the maximum each person is willing to pay
  • Clearly, all the additional net benefit or happiness that originally belong to the sneaker-loving community now go to the re-sellers (difference between amount willing to pay and had to pay)
  • Alternatively, some people now have to put in much additional effort to obtain shoes at retail, which also reduces their happiness
  • So in a way, re-sellers does take away from the hobby, by forcing everyone to pay the maximum amount (Nike can not do this because they must have one set price)

Had to say this, gettin tired of the nonsense b. I really dont understand how some people can just sit at home at their computers make a half assed attempt to get a pair of sneakers and then blame it all on resellers. Like are you that pathetic son.

Here's why I dont find any problem with resellers and stores like Flight Club. I'd really love to hear what some of you NTers have to say cause I just cant fathom this. 

Economics. They basic law of supply and demand. I think we can all agree one thing: More people are buying sneakers this days. Has nike made an effort to manufacture significantly more sneakers? Obviously not. So what does this tell us, a high demand with a really low supply. What does that do to the price? HIGHER THAN A MOTHER. Not the retail price, but the resell. It is basic economics b, too many people want these kicks and there is not enough to supply them all so to find out who really wants em the price has to go up. So if you really wanna be a little protesting prick talkin bout how 21 Mercer G'd you for a pair of Yeezys when it clearly says on the RSVP terms and information that if Nike has the right to give out the kicks on a random basis and NOT first come first served, then please take all that bull to Nike not the resellers. Nike needs to make more pairs. How you gonna get mad a dude takin advantage to make money, all power to him. 

Another thing I dont seem to understand. This seems to he the usual when a pair of limited sneakers release. 1 week or however many days before release night campers start doing what they do best and everyone makes fun of them. Release day comes, campers got their kicks no problem, and you here all butthurt cause you're forced to pay $300+ for kicks. Get outta here with that bull b. If you REALLY wanted these kicks and didnt have the money for resale price then you do something significant to get the kicks. Stop complaining and watch The Pursuit of Happiness, aint nothing handed to you. Whether you gotta camp for a week or buy a brand new router so nike.com doest crash. 

If you read this far I praise you, I had to let this out. But seriously someone give me an explanation on why resellers are bad, when you should be blaming nike.

At the end of the day, it's just sneakers.

joined sneaker website this month , likes resellers

I went wit my lil cousin to get the cement 4s, lil homie saved up for a min to get em. Waited in line.....dude in front of us buys a 9.5,10,11, and a sz 13. I was like "yo, do you really need that 9.5 dog" dude wouldnt even turn around to answer me :smh:

I went wit my lil cousin to get the cement 4s, lil homie saved up for a min to get em. Waited in line.....dude in front of us buys a 9.5,10,11, and a sz 13. I was like "yo, do you really need that 9.5 dog" dude wouldnt even turn around to answer me
mean.gif
***** rough out here.  

I just said **** it when I realized I was literally chasing Nike to give them my money....******g crazy

Until I see og concords,2000 infared 6, Tiffany sb's,etc go for the original retail price on eBay, none of you "sneakerheads" with your strictly of collection can say a damn thing to resellers. We all Play to the viscous cycle which is the Nike hype machine which quite frankly been in full force since 85'. STOP ALL THE BLOODCLOT CRYIN!!!!

I remember when it was like a deadly sin on NT to even mention resellers. Times sure have changed.

OP, since you talk about economics, allow me to offer an argument using economics on why people might hate re-sellers, let me know what you think.

Case without re-sellers
  • Nike sets some flat retail price for a particular shoe, and all buyers pay this same price
  • The "value" of the shoe is different to different buyers, some value it at retail, others who value it more, i.e. would have been willing to pay more than retail
  • Those who value it more than retail, but only have to pay retail, therefore would be getting certain amount of "additional" benefit or happiness from a retail purchase
  • In this case, some total amount of net happiness is created across the entire sneaker-loving community, by summing all the differences between the maximum each buyer would have been willing to pay and the retail price they actually had to pay

Case with re-sellers
  • Enter re-sellers, many who can care less about shoes, but driven by the motive to profit from other people's hobby, gobble up large % of the stock
  • Re-sellers subsequently auction off the product, or list at very high prices then slowly dropping prices, to individuals in the sneaker community, getting the maximum each person is willing to pay
  • Clearly, all the additional net benefit or happiness that originally belong to the sneaker-loving community now go to the re-sellers (difference between amount willing to pay and had to pay)
  • Alternatively, some people now have to put in much additional effort to obtain shoes at retail, which also reduces their happiness
  • So in a way, re-sellers does take away from the hobby, by forcing everyone to pay the maximum amount (Nike can not do this because they must have one set price)

^this. :smokin

I'm torn about it.  I like it cuz even tho I'm still newer to actually coppin (was too broke for years to let myself care about shoes but i kept an eye out).  I've got a couple connections and it's nice as someone working odd jobs n not making my career bank yet to be able to snag 2-3 pairs of a hyped release knowing I can keep 1 or 2 and I can flip the other one and lower my overall cost on that shoe/build my personal shoe budget.

If you're smart about it and put in the work you can get 3 of most releases and flip 1 of those so you basically get buy 1 get 1 half off which is a lot easier for me to justify wearing 'em whenever when I spent around $80.  So I try to drop $480, sell 1 for at least $250 and then I just spent $115 for my js instead of 160.  So in that sense I appreciate the reseller market cuz it makes it easier for me to feel ok wearing whatever kicks I get.  But... that's the best I can do with how it is and part of why I wanna do that is cuz I missed out on lots of releases in the last few years that I'm slowly working my way gettin and I don't mind resellers still havin stuff like cement 4s when they're price point isn't that absurd.  Sure a lot of resellers are chargin stupid prices, but others aren't so bad... playoff 12s or cement 4s for $200+s/h isn't that awful a markup and can be found.  So... I guess I manage, I'd still rather see some joints go on sale more / still be available after the weekend they come out, etc.  That I do hate, that even if there's a restock everything gets scooped up by resellers regardless of how many they have b/c they can flip them.

I really never had an opinion...of course you're going to have people who look to profit. But I can see why people would be upset...because instead of these people buying these shoes for a general love of the shoe. They're buying them simply to profit. Which I would imagine what people mean by "Killing the game"

Realistically, if it weren't for resellers and people buying JUST to resell. Instead of hyped out shoes selling out in minutes, you would probably have the whole day to walk into the store and grab a pair.

I put a couple of my older sneakers up on eBay that I don't wear that much as I'm trying to keep my rotation small now. Cats are offering more than what I thought I was going to get with no hesitation. They aren't even trying to get them to a lower price. Too easy. 
mean.gif

laugh.gif

Seriously though, its the people that are willing to buy them at ridiculous prices that are killing the game. 

Re-sellers are the problem. If they were none it would be easier for everyone to get their sneakers. Nike/JB makes a significant amount which sells out quickly. They're not to blame. Re-sellers are pretty pathetic too. When the military 4's came out I seen dude all hyped up because he got 4 pairs and he was going to make money off of it. They're selling for less than $200 right now. :lol: Sneaker enthusiast are just as much to blame for paying re-seller prices but then again I understand because some kicks you just have to have and there's really no other way to get them.

i bought a pair on impulse at one of those euro sites and they canceled my gmp pack... thats good though because it was 400 plus.. and since i missed out i have no desire to cop at reseller price

define what you mean with small profit?
mean.gif
just take a look at foams galaxy, yeezy, hyperdunk galaxy, KD scoring title, etc they resell at 2 times even 5 times retail price . those kind of profit you think it is small?
sick.gif
They only sell them at that price becuase people buy them. My point was when a shoe cost $30 and Nike sell it for $140 at retail or $80 at wholesale, they are making 5 or 3 times the cost or close. They are a huge company where a lot of profites are being made. If a normal guy uses his brain and buys up some shoes and sells them on, then good on him. If some one is stupid enough to spend $1000 plus on some Yeezy's or what ever then honestly let them do it.

Re-sellers are the problem. If they were none it would be easier for everyone to get their sneakers. Nike/JB makes a significant amount which sells out quickly. They're not to blame. Re-sellers are pretty pathetic too. When the military 4's came out I seen dude all hyped up because he got 4 pairs and he was going to make money off of it. They're selling for less than $200 right now. :lol: Sneaker enthusiast are just as much to blame for paying re-seller prices but then again I understand because some kicks you just have to have and there's really no other way to get them.

You're not grasping the idea here. Nike creates an artificial deficit which leads to favorable conditions for resellers.

How are you gonna blame people for doing something everyone on wallstreet gets lauded for doing on a daily basis. Speculation is the basis of our entire economy.

A better question is why is Nike choosing to create scarcity? Is it an image thing? Create hype that will spill over to other products?

Last edited:

You're not grasping the idea here. Nike creates an artificial deficit which leads to favorable conditions for resellers.

How are you gonna blame people for doing something everyone on wallstreet gets lauded for doing on a daily basis. Speculation is the basis of our entire economy.

A better question is why is Nike choosing to create scarcity? Is it an image thing? Create hype that will spill over to other products?

so guys like this arent creating an artificial deficit?

When I think about there have always been resellers. They came out but mostly for the packages or house of hoops stuff. Now they on every gr. The reseller price used to be 190$ now its 250$+

I don't like re-sellers but I do understand that they're out there. The way I combat them is to NOT PAY THEIR PRICES

Sneaker "game" lol, only a person thirsting to belong calls buying shoes the "game". Grow up, who cares, keep it moving.

Back
Top Bottom