Resistance to antibiotics could bring "the end of modern medicine as we know it", WHO claim.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Wash your hands and avoid injuries.

I'm not scared.
Pretty sure this means antibacterial soap is gonna become useless as well, but I dunno...

I use the soap... the regular kind. And stay touching dirt.

Allopathic medicine was doomed to fail when it became profit driven. This money they use for "research" is to come up with synthetic pills and surgical equipment and never looking at the underlying problem why people become ill. Medical research is a HUGE business.

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

Wouldn't we just come up with new antibiotics?

Problem solved.

Antibiotics destroys your gut flora. Like my role model Hippocrates always said "All disease begins in the gut".

Antibiotics are in the food supply and water supply. People are constantly being bombarded with it.

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

I know how this is going to play out:
-soon all antibiotics will be useless

-a scientist will come up with a "special" cure to be immune from diseases

-zombie apocalypse

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

Wouldn't we just come up with new antibiotics?

Problem solved.
easier said than done

laugh.gif
 right.
niketalkers are funny, man.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Wash your hands and avoid injuries.

I'm not scared.
Pretty sure this means antibacterial soap is gonna become useless as well, but I dunno...
I use the soap... the regular kind. And stay touching dirt.
I have an uncle who is a doctor, he barely touches soap
and he's quick to snatch food off anyone's plate with his hands 
laugh.gif

Hmmmm, didn't see THAT coming.  
eyes.gif
  People need to realize that "outsmarting" nature ALWAYS has a way of biting us in the butt.  All you have to do is think of basic biology principles, for the most part.  That's why I never used antibacterial soaps. 

Just wait though...over-zealous idiots with their GM foods....... 

What's next???

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Its not a losing battle by any means.

If we make this a man vs bacteria thing, yes it is a losing battle....how do you suggest we beat an organism that has been here since the very beginning, way before us, lives inside of us and all around us??...is not happening bro.
What's beating them though? If we wipe out bacteria I'm pretty sure we'd wipe ourselves out as well. As bad as some of the strains of bacteria are to our health, there's plenty of others that aid us as well.

I had the flu just last month, and I learned about all the antiviral medications like Tamiflu that are now useless because of new strains of influenza.  I was prescribed the H1N1 medication, Relenza, because my Doctor wanted to make sure the meds will work for me.  
Bottom line... sooner or later medicines won't be able to help you. 

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

I had the flu just last month, and I learned about all the antiviral medications like Tamiflu that are now useless because of new strains of influenza.  I was prescribed the H1N1 medication, Relenza, because my Doctor wanted to make sure the meds will work for me.  
Bottom line... sooner or later medicines won't be able to help you. 

Have you ever received a flu shot?

I honestly believe that its not bacteria getting stronger, its mordern medicine making us weaker. We're becoming depandant on all these drugs.

Thats why I don't use antibiotics or see doctors. I just let my body work it out. The "office cough" skipped right over me.

Super Immune system FTW!

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

I honestly believe that its not bacteria getting stronger, its mordern medicine making us weaker. We're becoming depandant on all these drugs.

Thats why I don't use antibiotics or see doctors. I just let my body work it out. The "office cough" skipped right over me.

Super Immune system FTW!
This!!!!!!!

not sure if this has been said but if it can grow to be resistant cant we eventually make another antibiotic to work?

hmmm just read... i guess only time will tell how we will deal with this problem

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Its not a losing battle by any means.

If we make this a man vs bacteria thing, yes it is a losing battle....how do you suggest we beat an organism that has been here since the very beginning, way before us, lives inside of us and all around us??...is not happening bro.
What's beating them though? If we wipe out bacteria I'm pretty sure we'd wipe ourselves out as well. As bad as some of the strains of bacteria are to our health, there's plenty of others that aid us as well.
and thats what im getting at, there is no way around it, we will never win or outlive bacteria, we need bacteria to survive, bacteria doesnt really need us.

Originally Posted by bhergh

not sure if this has been said but if it can grow to be resistant cant we eventually make another antibiotic to work?
and until when would you repeat this cycle, eventually new strands will emerge that are far more resistant, these antibiotics we take not only wipe out the bad bacteria but im also sure it kills off the good bacteria that is essential to us.

Originally Posted by bhergh

It takes months, at the very least, to develop antibiotics; this, however, does not include testing and all sorts of precautionary methods geared toward ensuring the safety of the antibiotic (making sure it doesn't do more harm than good--i.e, kill us in the process of killing the bacteria).
The generational cycle of a microbial species can be as little as an hour.

Point is, by the time we come up with a new antibiotic, the original resistant pathogen that necessitated the research and development in the first place, could have evolved/changed 100 fold. We'd essentially be trying to catch a supersonic jet, for example, and well, not even Usain Bolt would make headway in this regard.

Ksteezy what do you do?

Continuing the cycle will do nothing but repeat the situation we are in. If anything will have to extremely teach the public about how to handle antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom