Respected Artists/Producers that you've just NEVER felt...

Who are some dudes that are well respected in the business and considered great artists but you've never quite seen what the fuss was all about? Or maybeyou do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do.

For me...

Joe Budden - I'll put him in that "maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do"category. I like Joe...he's cool. BUT...I have never...and will understand how some hold him in such high regard. I think people seem to ignore certainthings from him that they seem to point out in other artists. For example...something I notice on here especially...alot of people like to call out artists fordoing the same thing over and over again and being predictable. I feel like Joe falls in that category. Whenever Joe makes a song...it's usually about oneof three things. Either a 6 minute track FULL of punchlines riddled with recent events...or a depressed somber song that deals with his personal life, past orpresent, or some type of sad story. Some call that versatility...I don't. I dont necessarily feel like you HAVE to switch it up all the time as anartist...I just don't like how some ignore Joe but will be quick to point another's faults for the same things. To me...he's still a punchlineheavy rapper. That's his bread and butter. Why do some dare consider this guy top 5 dead or alive? It was mingboggling to me when MM3 dropped are dudeswere going crazy...calling it the best mixtape ever...best CD of 07...better than The Cool. I just didnt understand that. Dudes saying they shed tearslistening to certain songs and all of that...miss me with that %@**. Maybe its a Tri-State area thing...because I've never heard him held in such regardanywhere else on the planet.

[puts on Flame suit]

Timbaland (The more recent version) - OK...I know this might seem ridiculous. Timbaland has classic beats...this is true, but to me most of them came from 99and back. I'm not feeling this new techno music %@** he's doing. I did not enjoy FL/SS...I didn't enjoy his album...and even when he does keep ithip hop...I'm just not feeling Timb. I wasn't feeling the joint he had Jeezy's album either. Ayo Technology was cool but...it wasnt the Timb Ienjoyed growing up. There is just something DIFFERENT about his beats now.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Who are some dudes that are well respected in the business and considered great artists but you've never quite seen what the fuss was all about? Or maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do.

For me...

Joe Budden - I'll put him in that "maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do" category. I like Joe...he's cool. BUT...I have never...and will understand how some hold him in such high regard. I think people seem to ignore certain things from him that they seem to point out in other artists. For example...something I notice on here especially...alot of people like to call out artists for doing the same thing over and over again and being predictable. I feel like Joe falls in that category. Whenever Joe makes a song...it's usually about one of three things. Either a 6 minute track FULL of punchlines riddled with recent events...or a depressed somber song that deals with his personal life, past or present, or some type of sad story. Some call that versatility...I don't. I dont necessarily feel like you HAVE to switch it up all the time as an artist...I just don't like how some ignore Joe but will be quick to point another's faults for the same things. To me...he's still a punchline heavy rapper. That's his bread and butter. Why do some dare consider this guy top 5 dead or alive? It was mingboggling to me when MM3 dropped are dudes were going crazy...calling it the best mixtape ever...best CD of 07...better than The Cool. I just didnt understand that. Dudes saying they shed tears listening to certain songs and all of that...miss me with that !!%%. Maybe its a Tri-State area thing...because I've never heard him held in such regard anywhere else on the planet.

[puts on Flame suit]

Timbaland (The more recent version) - OK...I know this might seem ridiculous. Timbaland has classic beats...this is true, but to me most of them came from 99 and back. I'm not feeling this new techno music !!%% he's doing. I did not enjoy FL/SS...I didn't enjoy Release Therapy...and even when he does keep it hip hop...I'm just not feeling Timb. I wasn't feeling the joint he had Jeezy's album either. Ayo Technology was cool but...it wasnt the Timb I enjoyed growing up. There is just something DIFFERENT about his beats now.

eyes.gif
Joe > this post

Who are some dudes that are well respected in the business and considered great artists but you've never quite seen what the fuss was all about? Or maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do.

For me...

Joe Budden - I'll put him in that "maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do" category. I like Joe...he's cool. BUT...I have never...and will understand how some hold him in such high regard. I think people seem to ignore certain things from him that they seem to point out in other artists. For example...something I notice on here especially...alot of people like to call out artists for doing the same thing over and over again and being predictable. I feel like Joe falls in that category. Whenever Joe makes a song...it's usually about one of three things. Either a 6 minute track FULL of punchlines riddled with recent events...or a depressed somber song that deals with his personal life, past or present, or some type of sad story. Some call that versatility...I don't. I dont necessarily feel like you HAVE to switch it up all the time as an artist...I just don't like how some ignore Joe but will be quick to point another's faults for the same things. To me...he's still a punchline heavy rapper. That's his bread and butter. Why do some dare consider this guy top 5 dead or alive? It was mingboggling to me when MM3 dropped are dudes were going crazy...calling it the best mixtape ever...best CD of 07...better than The Cool. I just didnt understand that. Dudes saying they shed tears listening to certain songs and all of that...miss me with that %@**. Maybe its a Tri-State area thing...because I've never heard him held in such regard anywhere else on the planet.

[puts on Flame suit]

I mean I don't know about you but I prefer to hear music that relates to actual life, you know something that I have experienced? I've never move work,shot anybody, made it rain on a stripper (thee most foolish thing a person could ever do in my eyes, no diss to those whose cup of tea that is tho) therefore Irelate to a Joe song more than 97% of the artist in the game. With that said...

eyes.gif
Joe > this post
Co-sign

Not a dude, and I am not sure how "respected" she is, but.....

teeth-amy-winehouse-400a071807.jpg

I never understood what the fuss was about....I mean, what was so special about her album that set her apart from the rest of the field? It seemed like sayingher album was great, was the "in" thing to do....almost as if you didn't like Winehouse, you were missing something....

the clipse - i cant get into their music. nothing they say is remotely believable to me. i can listen to pusha but malice's voice is irritating. its toughlistening to a whole album from them.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

For me...

Joe Budden - I'll put him in that "maybe you do enjoy them from time to time but you wouldnt check for them on a regular basis like most do" category. I like Joe...he's cool. BUT...I have never...and will understand how some hold him in such high regard. I think people seem to ignore certain things from him that they seem to point out in other artists. For example...something I notice on here especially...alot of people like to call out artists for doing the same thing over and over again and being predictable. I feel like Joe falls in that category. Whenever Joe makes a song...it's usually about one of three things. Either a 6 minute track FULL of punchlines riddled with recent events...or a depressed somber song that deals with his personal life, past or present, or some type of sad story. Some call that versatility...I don't. I dont necessarily feel like you HAVE to switch it up all the time as an artist...I just don't like how some ignore Joe but will be quick to point another's faults for the same things. To me...he's still a punchline heavy rapper. That's his bread and butter. Why do some dare consider this guy top 5 dead or alive? It was mingboggling to me when MM3 dropped are dudes were going crazy...calling it the best mixtape ever...best CD of 07...better than The Cool. I just didnt understand that. Dudes saying they shed tears listening to certain songs and all of that...miss me with that %@**. Maybe its a Tri-State area thing...because I've never heard him held in such regard anywhere else on the planet.

[puts on Flame suit]

I mean I don't know about you but I prefer to hear music that relates to actual life, you know something that I have experienced? I've never move work, shot anybody, made it rain on a stripper (thee most foolish thing a person could ever do in my eyes, no diss to those whose cup of tea that is tho) therefore I relate to a Joe song more than 97% of the artist in the game. With that said...

Thats not really the point i was trying to make...I'm just saying that MUSICALLY you should progress as an artist...and I haven't seen thatprogression with Joe. He still follows a formulative approach to his music that hasn't budged. I'm not saying that he should start playing the guitaror anything like that. I'm just thinking about artists like Nas, Lupe, Kanye even, artists that try to push the boundaries of your ordinary everyday HipHop. I don't respect Joe's song making ability. I feel like a large majority of his music is just like 5-6 minute songs of just RANTING. Couple thatwith his obvious depression at times, dude just comes across as flat out boring some times.

well here it goes...

DR DRE HAS BEEN GARBAGE SINCE LIKE 05... GARBAGE... people b actin like his beats b so amazing... that !*%* on kingdom come was WACK... damn piano loops and!*%*... !*%* is wack...

dilla... dudes beats were boring as hell to me...

wu tang... no comment... 36 chambers was dope tho...

busta rhymes...i bought all his !*%* til after anarchy... but being grown and more of a laid back dude he can keep that mystikal esque yelling to his damnself... i know he can spit but he need to do it in a normal tone...

ludacris... he's the black eminem to me... got the talent and its obvious but alot of the !*%* he makes is just *+!%+*@ ******ed...

never been too big of a twista fan...esp after kamikazee...dude is like a fat, fast flowing fab wit all them chick cuts...

Wow when I saw the title Timbaland was mos def gonna be on my list but its more of a fall from grace for me he use to be great but now its a flash in the pantype thing. Im not even gonna knock him for the pop shhh he on I mean he never had a real lyricist on his label or around him like that. I do wish he couldhook up with a dope Mc when/if he gets back on his hip hop shhh.

I agree with some of thread starter's views on Joe Budden. What I think a lot of you that put Joey so high on ya lists fail to realize that a lot ofrappers spit shhh you relate to but yall some shallow searchers. If ya spent some time diggin deep you would see there are a lot of rappers like dude andbetter but its w/e yall Ns is either never gonna know about em or realize mad late in the game. If you really just stand back n look at Budden objectively heis just a punch line rapper who also can spit about his life in an emotional way or his feelings other than that he doesnt cover any other bases n his musicexcites me on occasion. I like his music but I dont love dude like most of yall do.

For dudes I never felt Jermaine Dupri and I dont know if dude is respected for the "music"he allegedly produces and I wont speak on his rappinoutside of him being a quasi b-boy/dancer I dont care for his presence in music let alone hip hop. He may of broke a lotta acts but ehhh to him.

Other than that I think yall all know I think Canibus is garbage, I cant see why dude has fans I feel 99% of his music is unlistenable and this is not blindhate I had all his albums gave em many spins maybe its a swing n a miss I feel his music is equivalent to the sound of a trash compactor. I just really cantstand his voice I have nothin against dude cuz I kno lil about him and dont care to know more. Usually when he's featured on songs I gotta cool edit da N_out or alter his voice.

I dont know if they're respected but Jeezy is garbage, Wayne too ummm just the regualr trash nothing shocking here.

smokin.gif

Big L - Hadn't heard of him till he got killed. Checked for him then but he sounded like another NY rapper to me.

J Dilla - BOOOOOORRRRRINNNNNGGGGGGGGG

I didn't get on to The Roots till their last couple albums.

Cassidy - Dripping with wack juice.

9th Wonder (the Producer) didn't notice anything spectacular, puts out very boring music. However 9th Wonder (The DJ) is perhaps THE GREATEST DJ I HAVEEVER HEARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!111!! His dj'ing was the reason I gave his boring discography a spin in the first place.

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

9th Wonder (the Producer) didn't notice anything spectacular, puts out very boring music.

o GOD how could i forget that one...

I am SO sorry NT for this, I respect dudes, but I've never really felt HOVA or Lupe.

I listen to both them. They're in my iTunes, but they're not artists that I'd put in my iPod.

(Neglect the Wayne avy. He has nothing to do with this.
laugh.gif
)

Lupe-Dude is cool and all but he just doen't captivate me........He's like an Andre 3000 lite.

Neptunes-A N' don't wanna hear high a-- synths all the damn time.

Wu Tang-They may be legends or whatever, but I just can't vibe to their music.

Nas-Illmatic & Stillmatic are the only albums that I listen too......The rest of his efforts were wack IMO.

^lol

but jeezy can b entertaining at times... canibus wasnt ever... spittin that "smart @#%%" only song i liked besides 2nd round ko was buckingham palaceand im pretty sure it was just that beat...

Beanie Sigel- I just never seen the hype with this dude. He a average rapper and none of his albums are any good

Lupe- Very overhyped, his production is bad, for the most part he's boring.

Alchemist- Has classic songs he produced For Mobb Deep, Jadakiss, Dilated People, & Nas. This Dude can't produce a entire album by himself to save hislife.

Other artist i never checked for...

E-40
Joe Budden
Lil Wayne
Memphis Bleek
Eightball & MJG
Trick Daddy
T.I
50 Cent
Cam'ron
Master P

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

Big L - Hadn't heard of him till he got killed. Checked for him then but he sounded like another NY rapper to me.
Thats the thing. You have to consider the era he came up in. Dude was spittin like it was 05 back in 94. He is the father of punchline battlerap style.

My list:
Nas - has some gems but GOAT?? close to GOAT?? ehh...
Cassidy - dude has 1 hot line per verse. Best with punches?? Dudes need to hit the mixtapes more
Kanye - I just dont like his music, period. (Hate when dudes quote/sig his corny lines.. dude is NOT nice. He's not sayin anything new/clever/political)
Big & Pac - They were makin good music. Felt Big more than Pac BUT people need to let go of this "Dead = GOAT" thing
T-Pain & Akon - just dont like the music..

Back
Top Bottom