Review Request: Nike Flight Windmill

Here's what I wrote in the other request thread:

First impressions - after 3 games and lots of walking.

It's a solid shoe, no doubt about it. Some people might be turned off because of the looks, but it's a solid performer so far.

When you first try them on, your toes aren't really touching the ground. It's not a flat bottomed shoe, and when you step forward you'll feel aslight push towards the forefoot. I personally love shoes like this. And they hardly require any break in time. I played in mine pretty much right out of thebox, and they felt really good and comfy.

Traction is good, the outsole pattern is very non-traditional, but traction is very good. Not on the level of my XVIII Lows (the best I've everexperienced), but very good. I do play on a well-maintained gym floor though.

Very lightweight, one of the best characteristics. Feels pretty minimalistic too, a big plus for me.

Fit is really nice for me. I went half-size down, but I could see a lot of people getting their true size. I could have too, but I preferred a more snug fit atthe toe box.
I could also see a lot of people having comfort issues, but I liked them a lot. The laces might put a lot of pressure on top of the foot, I kind of felt thatat first, but it didn't really bother me, even after some serious tightening. The inner bootie/tongue is somewhat thin, but like I said, I didn't havea problem with it. And I was also wearing thick socks if that matters.

Comfort was great for me, no chafing, rubbing or soreness created anywhere within the shoe. It might be a concern because of the design of the bootie at theheel and the heel tab being completely inside the shoe, but it felt absolutely seamless for me.

They're pretty responsive, but in a firmer way. Not as hard as 2K4's for me, but definitely not soft like Lebron II's or IV's. I thinkthey're similar to the Soldiers in terms of firmess/cushioning.

The only thing that could be an issue, for me, is the stability. After I tightened them up a lot, they were fine, but ankle restriction might be an issue forsome. I love lows, and I liked playing in these, so that's saying something. They probably won't satisfy those looking for Lebron II or Kobe II anklerestriction, but if you like a little freedom along with the restriction they're pretty good at that.

I've been trying to get some more time in them, but my BB Lows are taking ALL of my time. Man I love playing in those things.

Picked up the VC editions as of late. Played one game and quite a bit of walking.
First time trying them on, thought they were absolutely horrible in terms of fit and comfort but I overcame disappointment with patience of the "break-inperiod"
Indeed I agree with the known flaws so far with the bootie being a little on the thin side and lack of ankle support even with the higher cut, lastly yes I doagree with the absence of forefoot zoom. Because it would have been ideal to have full-length ala zoom BB. But a few adaptations and some time getting used tothem, I'm really starting to love them.
First change went with the double socks, not usual for me but quickly solved the thin inner bootie problem. By no means do they cut or chafe anyway by notwearing double socks but its just a comfort thing.
Second, Replaced the actually decent windmill insoles with "Sof-Sole-Athlete" insoles which improved the cushioning and fit in a huge way. Thoseinsoles can make any cushionless shoe feel like double stacked zoom air.
Lastly, Took out the small round laces for Jordan xii low-like laces which enabled my to get the lockdown fit and hold the first time instead of constantlytightening them during every break in play.
I agree with DeezyVSOP with the feeling of a slight push during the heel-to-toe transition, which is perfect similar to the uptempo pro "engineered forpropulsion"

Rating wise after 3 games
Fit-8/10
-would have been lower if I didn't switch the insole because the heel area did slip a little with each step before changing insoles

Weight-10/10
-Possibly the best part of this shoe, you can really fly in these something like 14 oz., definently the lightest pair in my closet

Comfort 8.5/10
-Again without insoleswitch would have been lower but by no means would it be uncomfortable to the point of worry, its just no zoom turbine.

Ankle Support 7/10
-The shoe does feel like a low-cut and allows for a lot of ankle movt. which is nice for some and terrible for others. As for me not too bad Idon't feel like im going to rollover with any hard cut or slash

Traction 10/10
-Very non-traditional and does an amazing job. Even on a semi-dusty court you can stop and turn on a dime without the slightest slip. No complaints inthat department. 2 thumbs up

Overall 87%

Very happy with look and performance. Would have been concerned if I paid retail in terms of bang for buck, but I didn't...well worth the $70 to earn aspot in the regular rotation.

any opinions on the shoes now, after a few months of ownership? do they break in, and are any "issues" resolved or intensified?

Back
Top Bottom