RIP Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

5 pages though

What is there to discuss tho?...we paying our respects, he was 95 and his death wasn't a surprise, it was expected....

Put it to you this way, had dude been assassinated, this thread would go on 80 pages by now.

Hope you guys can comprehend the difference.

5 pages though
What is there to discuss tho?...we paying our respects, he was 95 and his death wasn't a surprise, it was expected....

Put it to you this way, had dude been assassinated, this thread would go on 80 pages by now.

Hope you guys can comprehend the difference.
It wouldn't be 80 pages and get off your high horse, talking about comprehension, FOH.

Last edited:
thread about paul walker dying went 30 pages the first day, and a thread about mandela dying is only 7 pages lol this generation is lost

It wouldn't be 80 pages and get off your high horse, talking about comprehension, FOH.
these...
Blows my mind...

It may have something to do with the way he died bit still...

5 pages is 5 pages...

And I bet money waaaay more people said RIP about Brian O'Connor than about Mandela...

these...
Blows my mind...

It may have something to do with the way he died bit still...

5 pages is 5 pages...

And I bet money waaaay more people said RIP about Brian O'Connor than about Mandela...

I'd wager more people on here were touched by Brian's death as well as the way he went out than Nelson. For the 25 year old American, chances are he's going to know more of Brian because of the films he's been in. Than Nelson and the impact he's had historically.

Last edited:
Why do people care how many pages this thread is compared to Paul Walker's?

Anyone with any sense knows Mandela's contributions to society dwarf Walker's. Even the folks that posted in that thread (like me). Why is everything a competition or "____ >>>> ____" on here? Sheesh.

Some of you dudes will find anything to ***** and moan about, I swear. And in doing so, you're derailing a thread about the very person you want respect shown to. Genius.

frown.gif
 RIP Mandela. Truly iconic! 

Last edited:

Anyone with any sense knows Mandela's contributions to society dwarf Walker's. Even the folks that posted in that thread (like me). Why is everything a competition or "____ >>>> ____" on here? Sheesh.

Some of you dudes will find anything to ***** and moan about, I swear. And in doing so, you're derailing a thread about the very person you want respect shown to. Genius.

View media item 321346

Sadly, there's no way that I could properly honor Nelson Mandela even under ideal circumstances, much less while stuck in a hotel room without so much as access to a proper laptop. It's my hope that our actions will speak more loudly and eloquently than a few meager and hastily tapped characters.

I was traveling all day on Wednesday and in meetings all day yesterday, so I didn't find out about Nelson Mandela's death until last night, just a few hours before a scheduled appointment at Room to Read's headquarters in San Francisco.

It doesn't matter that he was 95 years old. It doesn't matter that he'd been ailing, and many media outlets had already prepared their tributes in advance, in a morbid act of pragmatism. The news hit hard. My initial reaction, however deeply felt, was undoubtedly common. I felt impelled to at least, in some small way, try to honor the legacy of a man who means so much to so many of us.

What needed to be done became immediately clear.

This morning, I wrote a check for $35,000 - the largest donation NikeTalk has made to date - to help Room to Read provide comprehensive support for education in South Africa. While the details are TBD, the donation should prove sufficient to provide for local language publishing, support girls' scholarships, and build or refurbish a library in Nelson Mandela's honor.

So often, when I describe the amazing work of organizations devoted to education and social justice, I find myself invoking Mandela's words.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

May we all take his charge with the same spirit of justice and equanimity.

Sadly, there's no way that I could properly honor Nelson Mandela even under ideal circumstances, much less while stuck in a hotel room without so much as access to a proper laptop. It's my hope that our actions will speak more loudly and eloquently than a few meager and hastily tapped characters.

I was traveling all day on Wednesday and in meetings all day yesterday, so I didn't find out about Nelson Mandela's death until last night, just a few hours before a scheduled appointment at Room to Read's headquarters in San Francisco.

It doesn't matter that he was 95 years old. It doesn't matter that he'd been ailing, and many media outlets had already prepared their tributes in advance, in a morbid act of pragmatism. The news hit hard. My initial reaction, however deeply felt, was undoubtedly common. I felt impelled to at least, in some small way, try to honor the legacy of a man who means so much to so many of us.

This morning, I wrote a check for $35,000 - the largest donation NikeTalk has made to date - to help Room to Read provide comprehensive support for education in South Africa. While the details are TBD, the donation should prove sufficient to provide for local language publishing, support girls' scholarships, and build or refurbish a library in Nelson Mandela's honor.

So often, when I describe the amazing work of organizations devoted to education and social justice, I find myself invoking Mandela's words.

Respect you've inspired me to make a donation myself can we get a separate thread for this to let people know about the organization?

that's the problem.

People DON'T know...

The celebrity's death had a greater impact on peoples hearts in that thread. Dudes in there talking about crying at the next movie." He changed my life"

At least do a Wikipedia search and recognize what mandella did.

But cats ain't eem about that.

Maybe I'm just upset that people don't seem as heart broken as I am, and that's my fault...

Sad that mandella is really gone. :frown:

Last edited:

:nthat: Salute

You'll be missed Nelson Mandela.

Meth and NT always coming through with the donations. :pimp:

Nice donation Meth :smokin

smh at everybody in the social media paying tribute to a man they didn't even know before he died.

Back
Top Bottom