RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Cold Vein > anything Blu has done

Company Flow's importance to underground rap > anything Blu has done

Run The Jewelz > anything Blu has done

I like Below The Heavens a lot though
What do you think of blu's latest album good to be home?

Wiz is better than ASAP?? At this time?! Rocky had my 2nd fav album of the year & Ferg still goes in sometimes at least lol. Them 2 alone are better than current Wiz

And the only reason Wiz is better than the Flatbush Zombies is cause weak *** Zombie Juice is holding them back :smh: Meechie Darko & Erick Arc Elliott are dope af. Meech would make waves if he went solo forreal

Is NY even still grimey like that for a new DMX/50 type rapper to come out?

It would be entertaining as hell for someone to rap about Zoeing and gentrification though lol.

The fact that you think NYC is soft just shows me you'll be the first ***** to get zoed or get your wig split. NYC still has some nasty *** hoods with more people in in than some popular cities. Don't get stuff twisted

Man, there was so much anger and offence taken in this post :lol: that was a legitimate question, as the rap climate pretty much correlate with current society in general

YG's first hit record was Toot It N Boot It

That's his intro. He fell back after that record. YG came and reinvented himself. He didn't wanna be known for "toot it and boot it"

My **** went PLATINUM. Billboard top 20. That's a HIT.

That's what took me so long to listen to him again, cause i remember when Toot It & Boot It came out, and it was so garbage.

Dave East tape is :x

Is that :x in a good way or a bad way? I've only listened to 3 songs from it, and liked them

Last edited:
Wiz body of work is much better than A$AP's. I personally didn't care for Rocky last album outside 4 or 5 tracks, but it definitely did well with critics and fans.

But to go back to what my bro @masterzik said about not caring what those outside of NY think, without them there is NO A$AP Mob, they were embraced by the rest of the country before the average NYer was ****** with them. The radio WAS playin "Peso" tho. Once people figured out he was from NY they started likin it.

Fab is almost 40. He's from the class on 98. Jay-Z? You're comparing OLD rappers to 28 year old Wiz. You might as well say NaS and KRS One while you're at it.
Wiz > A$AP as a staff, record label & as a mutha****** crew
Wiz > GS9
Wiz > Flatbush Zombies

Ns ONLY like **** cause the people making it are from NY. No real consideration of quality. A$AP Mob is pretty good but the others, y'all just blindly claim to support, and most of that is due to the poor state of NY hip-hop.

PAHLEASE. I don't even think u believe half the **** u type. U asked me a question and I answered it then when u didn't agree with what I said u started mentioning dudes ages like I give two damns about it. Wiz is WACK AS **** and I could name 20 more artist I rather listen to regardless of region if you want me to. You the type of ***** that need to learn the difference between opinion and fact

I thought it was understood we were talking about new guys not rappers we grew up on.

Do I have to specify that I'm not comparing Wiz Khalifa to rappers from the last century?

Well what are the FACTS concerning NY hip-hop?
Recognizing there's a problem is the first step toward recovery.
FACT #1

o
The first part is false. Plain and simple. I was in the X chillin yesterday and there's a clear void and we were discussing just that. That feeling that existed since hip-hop's inception is gone, NY doesn't have a presence or appearance in hip-hop. As someone who's been a fan since the late 80s we're in a space this past 8 years that not only NYC hasn't experienced but the entire culture. Imagine country music with no artists from the south. Have we become that comfortable with our culture being erased in the western world that we shouldn't worry about it happening in hip-hop? That's absurd. And that feeling is addressed in "Mortal Man" when Pac says after 30 America beats a black man down to the point he won't fight back.

As for the 2nd part, so you're telling me today, October 1 2015 you will be able to survive without ever getting an elite level of music out of the east coast? Are you serious? As good as the music has been, that's absurd, because the south ain't satisfied. The west ain't satisfied. The midwest isn't satisfied. They have great legacies as well, but they are building on that. NYC is good with its legacy and now we're free to kick back and hang our collective hat on a 25 year legacy in a art that may last the rest of our lives? You're buggin. I want the east to be around just as much as I want the art to be around. If hip-hop ended today would I be satisfied with the 30 or so years we've had, yea I love it but I want it to keep goin, and those that don't are just as bad for the culture as those that exploit us. Because that shows a lack of concern for the culture, and it's preservation, and survival. So if the entire culture took on this, "I'm to old to worry" hip-hop would be gone in 10 years. We'd be disco, and this is us talkin. TRUE fans of the culture, not executives that exploit it, we are hip-hop and we bout to just lay down cause we experienced GREATNESS?

So I'm sure we're all sports fans, would anybody be satisfied with their team NEVER winning another chip? To just be like, "the 4 Super Bowls the Giants have is enough, I don't care if they ever win again". Would a true fan say that? So would a true fan and supporter of art say they can live off of past years greatness? Could you live without there ever being a great gangster movie cause The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc. People get better, bigger, faster, stronger. Life's about progression. NY not progressing and now people that are supposed to be OG are OK with it, so why should someone born in the 90s even want to respect an aspect of a culture that it's gate keepers have more or less given up on?

The last elite class of MCs NY had was the class of 98. So you're saying from Melle Mel, Kurtis Blow & Caz in the late 70s/80s to 98 that 20 year period is enough for you? We've been mediocre almost as long as we were ELITE (and there was times during that 18 years where NY played second fiddle to the west), in 5 years if this continues we will be a region that was wack for a longer period of time then it was good. Not a legacy I want. And let's not act as if the majority of the 80s there was an equal playing field for all regions, there wasn't, hip-hop was NY centric. For a time it was just the Uptown/Bronx foreal. If my memory serves me correct Kane was the first GREAT MC to emerge from Brooklyn, I mean that via status, skill, ability, musical output etc. this is what 87/88? Queens had RunDMC early 80s. Wu put Staten on to the masses in 93.

When you look at NY legacy it's a lot of GREATNESS in a short period of time. In my opinion the playing field in hip-hop became even in 1998, is it a coincidence that NY has not had an ELITE class of artists since cats from all regions started to get somewhat equal opportunities? As a lifelong hip-hop fan, contributor, journalist, etc it concerns me, and I genuinely question anyone from anywhere that isn't bothered. I don't think the forefathers would want that. People died for this, Ns got electrocuted plugging in sound systems to light poles. We just gonna forget about them? The martyrs of this, the brothers that died in gang warfare that was the catalyst for the arts inception? Did Reemo die in vein? Ns been run over by trains in REAL life, closed caskets for this culture. To say you can live with what's been done and be fine is irresponsible to me.

It isnt that serious to me. I have enough music to last a lifetime other than Hip-Hop. Whether NY "comes back" or not, it doesnt matter to me. I was alive and was able to enjoy 2 eras of NY being on top and made timeless music that that i havent and never will get tired of. There are other things I'm more worried about rather than the "State of NY Hip-Hop". This **** is cyclical.

Last edited:
o
It isnt that serious to me. I have enough music to last a lifetime other than Hip-Hop. Whether NY "comes back" or not, it doesnt matter to me. I was alive and was able to enjoy 2 eras of NY being on top and made timeless music that that i havent and never will get tired of. There are other things I'm more worried about rather than the "State of NY Hip-Hop". This **** is cyclical.
Hip hop is more or less the voice of blacks in the western hemisphere for better or for worse. So the direction of it is pretty instrumental to what is goin on in our community. I'm not that far enough removed from the community for it to no longer concern me. I pray that is never the case. Hip hop is our voice to the world. As the revolution/civil rights movement was the voice of blacks in the 50/60/70s hip-hop became the voice to the next generation and so on. The fact that NY has the largest concentration of not only black American but of blacks from the west Indies and Africa it's not only important for our people in THIS country to know what's goin on but for the WORLD as well.

I was talking to an OG Low Life yesterday at the barbershop and we were more or less talking about schooling and the community and he brought up the fact that while he's intuned with the Minister Farrakhan now, it was hip-hop that pushed him towards that direction. I didn't know who Geronimo Pratt, Huey, Sekou Indenga (who is one of my homeboy grandfather) was until I heard via hip-hop. I learned who Assatta Shakur was from Common. I learned black nationalism, through hip-hop and I'm sure the majority of those in the conscious community will echo that sentiment. In the case of Sekou Indenga he wrote the Thug Code along with Pac and Mutulu, he JUST got out of prison a year ago, his message was being sent thru Pac's music.

Hip-hop is supposed to be OUR revolutionary tool, but like most other things, we've gotten lazy and let others control it's content and direction. I guess we simply have BETTER things to do as a people other than protect OUR culture.

Last edited:
Hip hop is more or less the voice of blacks in the western hemisphere for better or for worse. So the direction of it is pretty instrumental to what is goin on in our community. I'm not that far enough removed from the community for it to no longer concern me. I pray that is never the case. Hip hop is our voice to the world. As the revolution/civil rights movement was the voice of blacks in the 50/60/70s hip-hop became the voice to the next generation and so on. The fact that NY has the largest concentration of not only black American but of blacks from the west Indies and Africa it's not only important for our people in THIS country to know what's goin on but for the WORLD as well.

I was talking to an OG Low Life yesterday at the barbershop and we were more or less talking about schooling and the community and he brought up the fact that while he's intuned with the Minister Farrakhan now, it was hip-hop that pushed him towards that direction. I didn't know who Geronimo Pratt, Huey, Sekou Indenga (who is one of my homeboy grandfather) was until I heard via hip-hop. I learned who Assatta Shakur was from Common. I learned black nationalism, through hip-hop and I'm sure the majority of those in the conscious community will echo that sentiment. In the case of Sekou Indenga he wrote the Thug Code along with Pac and Mutulu, he JUST got out of prison a year ago, his message was being sent thru Pac's music.

Hip-hop is supposed to be OUR revolutionary tool, but like most other things, we've gotten lazy and let others control it's content and direction. I guess we simply have BETTER things to do as a people other than protect OUR culture.

Your arguments are all over the place :lol:

That last post almost makes it sound like cuz there aint a plethora of NY artists doing it big that hip hop might as well have been white washed. Heavily hinting what these other regions are doing it wrong.

I won't disagree that I'm not enjoying the music as much.

Last edited:
Various_Artists_Shadow_Of_The_Sun-front.jpg

the-original-man-back.jpg

I think Dave East got y'all once he find better beats

He sounds like Cole x Styles P

Last edited:
To be fair, Kay Slay always had an affinity for those cut & paste, big hat, leather bomber, mixtape type dudes.

Last edited:
Another thing I was thinking. I think the mixtape changes with Drama and the internet was a big problem and change that for New York didn't adjust to

Back then you had DJ's playing new music and finding new artist to get exclusives. They were important to the rap scene in the city.

An artist used to stalk the DJ and go to the labels. Now they have to go straight the internet or radio. Radio before got what was buzzing on the latest Clue, Doo Wop or Envy mixtape. The DJ was aware of who had buzz in the city. Now they play popular playlist. .

That last post almost makes it sound like cuz there aint a plethora of NY artists doing it big that hip hop might as well have been white washed. Heavily hinting what these other regions are doing it wrong.

I won't disagree that I'm not enjoying the music as much.
Not that they're necessarily doin it "wrong" it's just the importance of NY having a voice in pretty much everything associated with people of color. And the south has to be included for the SAME reason, that was the mistake hip-hop made, and to credit what kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc said a few pages when he compared modern day NY to the early to mid 90s south. While the south ALWAYS had something to say, they simply didn't have MCs at the skill level of a KRS, Rakim, Kane, Slick Rick, Cube, etc Scarface is prolly the only one that is from that generation that is comparable so if I had to honestly say, it was an issue with talent along with a lot of NY elitism.

Since its recent we KNOW a lot of the interest in Chicago artists is because of the crime that's goin out there. People want that insight as to why the **** is goin on and basically want to know more. The world is fascinated with crime and hip-hop has flourished because of that interest. No different then gangsta rap in the west coast, we were seeing it in film and reading about it in TIME magazine and such, till it got to the point that everyone was fascinated with the perspective of this lifestyle.

In the early 90s the direction of hip-hop was pretty much centered around what was goin on in the streets of LA. But NY was having it's own HUGE problem with crime, where a lot of the music spoke truth to what was needed to fix it, there wasn't too many artists speaking from the perspective of those committing the crimes. That late 80s generation of hip-hop was more or less speaking from the 3rd person outside of a few artists. What made NaS, Wu, BIG, Mobb Deep so interesting is these were the representation/voice of the guys that were ****** up the city. Selling crack, shootouts with automatic weapons in broad daylight, their perspective was extremely important to the climate of what was goin on in the streets of NY, more so than the generation before them. Yusef Hawkins, Central Park 5 these guys were NaS and them age. They were the voice of what has become the most incarcerated group in world history.

Pac's depiction of Bishop in Juice overshadowed Rakim's on "Know The Ledge" because he was speaking from an outside perspective and while he was actually just 3 years older than the cast members it was like an elder statesman. A lot of the interest in Pac stems from that role, he spent a portion of his career chasing that glory and some would say it cost him his life. If you listen to the first 10 mins of Illmatic, Infamous, and Ready To Die they play into the fact that they are the new voice of the wild streets of NY. That's one of the reasons NaS can be heard these days supporting Chicago drill music. Because his generation served a similar purpose for NY.

The SAME how YG, Vince Staples, and Kendrick use the fact that their uncle's, fathers were involved in gangs so they speak from the perspective of kids that were brought up around gang culture and the various paths one can take in that type of predicament. Chicago is showing the gang culture with the absence of OGs and just how wild **** has become, and the effects of gentrification. It's important for these kids in NY from 16-28 are the sons/daughters, nieces/nephews of the most incarcerated group this city has seen. They have a story to tell, they've watched their city go from one extreme to the other in their brief time here. Between building condos in every hood, Blood/Crip wars being fought and swept under the rug because of rezoning and gentrification. There's most definitely a complex story NYC has to tell to rival what's goin on in LA, Chicago and the south. It's VERY important to the culture that it's brought to the light.

Just need a charismatic, talented group that can share it.

Last edited:
"Whys everybody so mad at the South for? Change ya style up, switch to Southpaw" = Death of NY Hip Hop

Back
Top Bottom