RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Now these ****** out here Doing the Milly rock on any block [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]. Chicken noodle soup, shmurda dance, they doing the best impression of the music they dogged for years.

Son your from the East Coast ? Why u **** ride the south so much ? Ol new millennium *** boy :smh: even the 7th mile the 7th mile a dude from the D understands what I'm saying :lol:

Lol ain't even about riding.

Me being from the east coast, coming up on Hov/Nas/X/Dipset....then later going to college in Atlanta during its stranglehold of hip hop...allows me to see this objectively.

I'm on the outside looking in. With no real stake in the game. You're from NY...so understandably...it's harder for you to look at this objectively.

So we can't win then correct ? That's why I say **** hip hop y'all can have this bubblegum ****. I'll just listen to my gutter NYC hood **** and call it a day until the real ****** rise again u heard

I don't like the bubblegum stuff either. (You do need a few smooth songs dedicated to the ladies. Can't be to rough) I think the whole "street" scene, throughout society is changing so, popular culture is changing. Crimes still happen but, things appear to be different. Dudes still shoot. Sell drugs. Do drugs. Drink. Smoke, etc. But the subject matter does not "sting" like say, an NWA, Too Short, Biggie, etc. People no longer like harsh music. It's becoming apparent. People want more party records.

Hip hop in general stinks if u want to blame NY for it I'll take it beloved :smokin

Nah I agree with you on Tip riding that New York wave with Bring em out etc, they tried to do the same thing with Gucci when they had him going over Swizz tracks but it was a different period at that point...I don't think it MADE Ti though, he would have been who he was without it.

Probably the worst Gucci track i ever heard

Is NY even still grimey like that for a new DMX/50 type rapper to come out?

It would be entertaining as hell for someone to rap about Zoeing and gentrification though lol.

50 was working with Juvie back in 02.
As mentioned Jay did the "Ha" remix. "Big Pimpin" a year later.
8ball & MJG are on Ma$e 'Harlem World'.
Cormega got a song with Lil Wayne from Violator 1.
NORE had the Hot Boys on his 2nd album
Raekwon on 'Aquemini'
Cam got Jermaine Dupri on his debut.
Diplomats did "Bout It Bout It"
Busta did songs with Mystical. Silkk.

On some G ****, 50 had UGK on 'Power Of The Dollar'

NaS & Jay have been on Master P albums.

Cash Money & Ruff Ryders tour?

You can call it jumpin on the wave or maybe they just had vision and understood where the game was goin. All of those collabs are are atleast 13 years back. Some are in the 90s. Is it a surprise the majority of the artists still have careers? That's what it takes to survive in hip-hop, BIG explained it on 'Life After Death,

"Whats your plan? Is to rock the tristate?
Almost gold. 5 Gs a show date?
Or do you wanna see about 7 digits?.."

BIG laid the blueprint for NY rappers, the lazy one more or less faded out, the HARD workers are still at it today. You just can't rap for your block or borough or even your city if you wanna survive in the new landscape of hip-hop.

So it's not 50 copying or whatever, he's doing what he's ALWAYS done. That was part of his appeal.
"I'm a New Yoowka but I sound suuutttthhhnnnn"

And while Jay. Diddy. 50. NaS. Do have blood on their hands, in their defense. What ULTRA talented NY artist has emerged in the last 15 years for these guys to have helped out? The only one that comes to mind foreal is Shyne, Diddy helped and does anyone need a reminder on how that ended? Black Rob? G Dep? Loon?
Big L was gonna sign with ROC. **** Cam DID and brought his weed carriers along. How'd that end? Cam and 50 got lucky to have 2 B grade NY rappers they scooped up young. Unfortunately both were pretty lazy and underachieved. NaS had Nature. These guys have ALL given an effort they never got recognized for foreal. NY has been having a talent drought, even when the bigger guys have tried to usher in a new generation of NY hip-hop Ns **** it up one way or another.

What NY artist of the last 10 years would have a career today if ANY of these dudes helped them foreal? The talent pool isn't there. QB has produced many great MCs, you mean to tell me not one dope MC has come out of QB in he last 15 years foreal? Compton has a couple cats makin good music. None of the havens for great hip-hop in NY is producing anything foreal other than Harlem.

Me being from the east coast, coming up on Hov/Nas/X/Dipset....then later going to college in Atlanta during its stranglehold of hip hop...allows me to see this objectively.

I'm on the outside looking in. With no real stake in the game. You're from NY...so understandably...it's harder for you to look at this objectively.

My mom's been living in ATL for more than half my life. My first love is from College Park. I've probably spent more time in Atlanta than you. Don't give me the objectivity argument at all my g. Your bias as hell (for reasons idk) and its showing. B-More ****** is straight East coast to the fullest even more so than ****** from Jersey. NOTHING screams East Coast about the way you carry yourself on this board at all

Last edited:
Bring em out ain't what made tip hot. Dipset ain't what made Wayne hot. Gucci time ain't what made Wop hot.

Back then, there was this perception that you needed NY validation in order to hit mainstream. As time went on, that became less apparent.

Like I said earlier. Cole went to NY for school in '03...partly because he wanted to get signed. If he'd went to school in '08...he would've gone to Georiga State or Georgia Tech.

I agree with most of that...but it was closer to reality than perception back then. Bring em out didn't make Tip hot, but it introduced him to a whole new audience in New York that didn't necessarily gravitate to trap muzik TI. Dipset didn't make Wayne hot, but he got ALOT of flavor and style from them that he used to propel himself to bigger heights. Gucci time did absolutely nothing for Gucci, it actually hurt him but by that time like I said, it was a different era. He went back to what he knew and starting flourishing once again.

It would be entertaining as hell for someone to rap about Zoeing and gentrification though lol.

The fact that you think NYC is soft just shows me you'll be the first ***** to get zoed or get your wig split. NYC still has some nasty *** hoods with more people in in than some popular cities. Don't get stuff twisted

My mom's been living in ATL for more than half my life. My first love is from College Park. I've probably spent more time in Atlanta than you. Don't give me the objectivity argument at all my g. Your bias as hell (for reasons idk) and its showing. B-More ****** is straight East coast to the fullest even more so than ****** from Jersey. NOTHING screams East Coast about the way you carry yourself on this board at all

_'s in Baltimore worship Boosie more than anybody. Most of the _'s I know from Baltimore idolize Boosie, Jeezy and Gucci. I gotta damn near force dudes to listen to some Jay or Nas. And I'm talking about dudes between 24-28. Maybe you talking about some older cats.

Last edited:
_'s in Baltimore worship Boosie more than anybody. Most of the _'s I know from Baltimore idolize Boosie, Jeezy and Gucci. I gotta damn near force dudes to listen to some Jay or Nas. And I'm talking about dudes between 24-28. Maybe you talking about some older cats.

Older dudes yea. Maybe I just assumed the type of B-More ***** he is were the ones I know

Look at my Avy. Look at the threads I'm in. Lol.

I'm 25. from Baltimore thru and thru. Before we were messing with Boosie/Jeezy/Gucci/Gotti....it was Hov/X/Nas. Especially Dipset. Dipset was heavy in Bmore. They even signed NOE. Everybody here messes with the Wave (Max) too. You forget DMX actually reps Baltimore sometimes. He shot "We right here" in Baltimore. Ruff Rydaz bike crew is still heavy here.

Boosie is our go to artist...but being only 3 hours away from NY....it's almost impossible for that influence to not be felt here.

The fact that you think NYC is soft just shows me you'll be the first ***** to get zoed or get your wig split. NYC still has some nasty *** hoods with more people in in than some popular cities. Don't get stuff twisted

Take it easy ma. I was just saying because you always hear about Brooklyn being gentrified lol. I remember seeing or reading about this white couple moving into Hov's old dope spot and being so amazed like it was a museum or something [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji].

Look at my Avy. Look at the threads I'm in. Lol.

I'm 25. from Baltimore thru and thru. Before we were messing with Boosie/Jeezy/Gucci/Gotti....it was Hov/X/Nas. Especially Dipset. Dipset was heavy in Bmore. They even signed NOE. Everybody here messes with the Wave (Max) too. You forget DMX actually reps Baltimore sometimes. He shot "We right here" in Baltimore. Ruff Rydaz bike crew is still heavy here.

Boosie is our go to artist...but being only 3 hours away from NY....it's almost impossible for that influence to not be felt here.

Aren't there also a lot of HBCU colleges, in the Baltimore/DC area? A lot of regional music gets passed that way, too. A lot people from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ga, Bama, and Florida go to schools throught that area. Especially athletes. And a lot of them play artists like Boosie, Webbie, Gates, etc.

So yup, you are right about everything.

Aren't there also a lot of HBCU colleges, in the Baltimore/DC area? A lot of regional music gets passed that way, too. A lot people from Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ga, Bama, and Florida go to schools throught that area. Especially athletes. And a lot of them play artists like Boosie, Webbie, Gates, etc.

So yup, you are right about everything.

Nah. They're only 2 HBCU's in Baltimore. Morgan and Coppin. Most people that go there are from PG County/Mo County MD. The DC suburbs...or Philly/Jersey & NY

We literally have 0 rappers to claim on a national level, so we pretty much listen and give music from neighboring regions a chance.

Most people living in Baltimore relate with the **** Boosie/Jeezy/Gotti/Gucci say...and we love a "bounce" in our music (club music) so sonically, it's naturally...we'll gravitate to southern music that tends to have more bounce in the production + gritty urban tales.

Last edited:
Bmore dudes love boosie. I've met 1 in real life and just peep the rest from message boards n the web but boosie is king there.

Nah. They're only 2 HBCU's in Baltimore. Morgan and Coppin. Most people that go there are from PG County/Mo County MD. The DC suburbs...or Philly/Jersey & NY

We literally have 0 rappers to claim on a national level, so we pretty much listen and give music from neighboring regions a chance.

Most people living in Baltimore relate with the **** Boosie/Jeezy/Gotti/Gucci say...and we love a "bounce" in our music (club music) so sonically, it's naturally...we'll gravitate to southern music that tends to have more bounce in the production + gritty urban tales.

Bowie, Howard and UDC

Listen to Big B's

He's actually Haitian and had a song Another Zoe :lol:

and his part of Brooklyn ain't gentrified. and he also has street cred.

A lot of dudes are doing grimey New York, they just aren't good rappers. It's their hustle after they get out.

Back
Top Bottom