RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Fab has been a top rapper in the game for the past couple years IMO & that's without dropping a singular "album" in years. Ridiculous to me that people somehow try to claim fab ain't relevant when there hasn't been a span in almost 20 years that you haven't heard fab on the radio or in the clubs. And the second half of his career has been even better than the first

Dudes only care about what's on the radio every 15 minutes.

There's so much hypocrisy and contradictions in this whole argument.

People will talk about relevancy, but what should matter is if it's good. What's lyrical.

I'm still wondering if Desiigner would be acceptable if he was from Atlanta or the south. If so that negates the whole argument. So you don't mind all the copycat south rappers? And you want pats on the back for a bunch of wack non-lyrical rappers. A 20 year old did what he should, rap what's popular and what he hears.

Dudes will **** on French Montana and say he's not lyrical, but then go in a Young Dolph thread. :lol:

Dudes only care about what's on the radio every 15 minutes.

There's so much hypocrisy and contradictions in this whole argument.

People will talk about relevancy, but what should matter is if it's good. What's lyrical.

I'm still wondering if Desiigner would be acceptable if he was from Atlanta or the south. If so that negates the whole argument. So you don't mind all the copycat south rappers? And you want pats on the back for a bunch of wack non-lyrical rappers. A 20 year old did what he should, rap what's popular and what he hears.

Dudes will **** on French Montana and say he's not lyrical, but then go in a Young Dolph thread. :lol:

Desiinger would get the same exact slander if he was from the south. Stop it. There's a cat from NO that's trying to be young thug...the same way Desiigner is trying to be Future. And he's getting slandered equally. He's just not as popular.

I think the disconnect with you is you are a person that believes that being lyrical = quality. That is not always the case man. And lyricism comes in many forms.

And fab is my guy. He's been consistent for a very long time. But outside of NY and the Tri state..nobody is really "bumping him".

And the second half of his career has been even better than the first

What? Maybe it's just nostalgia...but Fab when he came out >>>> Fab now. I was just bumping that "Renegade" freestyle with him and Paul Cain. Fab had a good mix of mainstream hits, mixtapes, and solid albums.

Lyricism comes in many forms :lol:

What forms? There's bad and there's good. You're saying something or not saying anything.

Dudes who say a lot of nothing and you can barely comprehend? Dudes who rap about the same subjects over and over?

If it wasn't for the production who would listen to those dudes? The crazy part is the producer is coming back, but they're still not making the money they should when they're literally making careers. Production makes Future, not what Future is talking about.

Last edited:
Lyricism comes in many forms :lol:

What forms? There's bad and there's good. You're saying something or not saying anything.

Dudes who say a lot of nothing and you can barely comprehend? Dudes who rap about the same subjects over and over?

If it wasn't for the production who would listen to those dudes? The crazy part is the producer is coming back, but they're still not making the money they should when they're literally making careers. Production makes Future, not what Future is talking about.

Comes in many forms. You look at lyricism as dudes who use multi-sllyables, double entendres, hidden meanings and stuff as many words into a bar as they can. That's "a form of lyricism".

There's also lyricism in people that say real sht. Relatable heartfelt lyrics and give it to you straight forward. Like a prime "Boosie" or Pac. That's a form of lyricism as well.

You can have somebody have a bunch of complex rap schemes...and they rap about absoltuey nothing. Or you can have somebody whose rapping in a "simpler" way...and connect with you.

I agree with Ty about Fab. The Soul Series is the best thing he's ever done. Fab since 2010> before.

But... Lyrics really don't matter in today's era. Drake got dudes locked in his OVO camp writing lyrics for him, Kanye is trash as a rapper right now and their stans and so called critics don't care. If you reach a certain level of popularity you can get away with murder. And I'm fans of both of those dudes, I just can't give passes for blatant ****.

Dudes will **** on French Montana and say he's not lyrical, but then go in a Young Dolph thread

I listen to Dolph and French but I wouldn't knock somebody if they only listened to Dolph. Dolph got plenty of substance in his music if you listen to it. Does he have a million flows? Hell no, but the substance is there.

Last edited:
Desiinger would get the same exact slander if he was from the south. Stop it. There's a cat from NO that's trying to be young thug...the same way Desiigner is trying to be Future. And he's getting slandered equally. He's just not as popular.

I think the disconnect with you is you are a person that believes that being lyrical = quality. That is not always the case man. And lyricism comes in many forms.

And fab is my guy. He's been consistent for a very long time. But outside of NY and the Tri state..nobody is really "bumping him".
What? Maybe it's just nostalgia...but Fab when he came out >>>> Fab now. I was just bumping that "Renegade" freestyle with him and Paul Cain. Fab had a good mix of mainstream hits, mixtapes, and solid albums.

Don't get me wrong Fab **** from back then is still crazy too, but back then it was metaphor after metaphor and not much structure. as the years have gone by the flow has improved, the word play has been even slicker & those verses just seem to hold up much longer.

That Friday Night Massacre/ clue tape he dropped is still getting constant play from me & just doesn't seem to ever feel old. I think fab still has a very similar style to his early days just more mature and polished.

Comes in many forms. You look at lyricism as dudes who use multi-sllyables, double entendres, hidden meanings and stuff as many words into a bar as they can. That's "a form of lyricism".

There's also lyricism in people that say real sht. Relatable heartfelt lyrics and give it to you straight forward. Like a prime "Boosie" or Pac. That's a form of lyricism as well.

You can have somebody have a bunch of complex rap schemes...and they rap about absoltuey nothing. Or you can have somebody whose rapping in a "simpler" way...and connect with you.

And most of the dudes who you're trying to take up for are saying the same thing every single song about the same subject.

How many different ways you can hustling? sex? drugs? How many people can you kill?

Don't put Tupac in that category.

There's absolutely no diversity in these guys much less creativity in doing it. That's why everyones a rapper. Because being a rapper is easy now.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, coming from NYC it took me a while to accept because most of the guys i grew up listening to were doing both (using complex rap schemes & still saying real ****). The dude who switched my entire thought process on this was Pac (when i grew older) & Jeezy. The point of lyrics is to paint an image and draw feeling with the listener, that can be done without all the complex metaphors and double meanings.

A good example of this is Lupe, while he has always been extremely lyrical, during F&L/ The Cool he was still able to do that and convey his message clearly. Now compare that to T&Y which dropped he has lyrically gone to an even higher level lyrically but it's gotten so advanced that IMO it's more like a novel than music (Not that it isn't dope, but you literally need to STUDY the ****** music to really appreciate certain things).

I agree with this wholeheartedly, coming from NYC it took me a while to accept because most of the guys i grew up listening to were doing both (using complex rap schemes & still saying real ****). The dude who switched my entire thought process on this was Pac (when i grew older) & Jeezy. The point of lyrics is to paint an image and draw feeling with the listener, that can be done without all the complex metaphors and double meanings.

A good example of this is Lupe, while he has always been extremely lyrical, during F&L/ The Cool he was still able to do that and convey his message clearly. Now compare that to T&Y which dropped he has lyrically gone to an even higher level lyrically but it's gotten so advanced that IMO it's more like a novel than music (Not that it isn't dope, but you literally need to STUDY the ****** music to really appreciate certain things).

This!

It's easier to blow up or get known now but definitely still not easy to be a professional rapper ...it's still as many dusty dudes on the block that claim they rap and will never blow up :lol:

What's happening is fans don't care about copy cats and some new artists have no shame or pride in their work so they trying jump in the game on somebody else's wave , hence the lack of creativity ...seems like lately it can't be multiple sounds and things going on at the same time , everybody just jumps on one thing at a time with a few exceptions

And most of the dudes who you're trying to take up for are saying the same thing every single song about the same subject.

How many different ways you can hustling? sex? drugs? How many people can you kill?

Don't put Tupac in that category.

There's absolutely no diversity in these guys much less creativity in doing it. That's why everyones a rapper. Because being a rapper is easy now.

What do you mean "take up for"? Name most of these dudes you're talking about.

And idk why you think dudes soley rap about "hustling, drugs and sex".

As for the "newer rappers"...I listen to Future, Cole, Kendrick, Kodak Black, Bankroll Fresh off the top of my head. In the case of Future & Kodak (who I'm sure you're referring to), they rap about a lot more than just "drugs, killing and sex"....and rap about it in different ways...different flows, rhyme patterns, lingo and melodies/harmonies.

You said early that without production....nobody would listen to these dudes. Beat selection and production is part of being a rapper. That should never be a knock. Not only that...it's about what you actually do with the beat. You could give "March madness" to your local rappity rapper, lyrics lyrics lyrics rapper...and that sht would be phony.

I'm not listening to a rapper with wack production or no relatability. No matter how many syllables he can stuff into a bar.

What do you mean "take up for"? Name most of these dudes you're talking about.

And idk why you think dudes soley rap about "hustling, drugs and sex".

As for the "newer rappers"...I listen to Future, Cole, Kendrick, Kodak Black, Bankroll Fresh off the top of my head. In the case of Future & Kodak (who I'm sure you're referring to), they rap about a lot more than just "drugs, killing and sex"....and rap about it in different ways...different flows, rhyme patterns, lingo and melodies/harmonies.

You said early that without production....nobody would listen to these dudes. Beat selection and production is part of being a rapper. That should never be a knock. Not only that...it's about what you actually do with the beat. You could give "March madness" to your local rappity rapper, lyrics lyrics lyrics rapper...and that sht would be phony.

I'm not listening to a rapper with wack production or no relatability. No matter how many syllables he can stuff into a bar.

You said Boosie and Tupac in the same breath.

Tupac wasn't the most complex rapper, but he was a great rapper. DMX wasn't a complex lyricist, but he was a great rapper. They had diverse subjects and evoked pain and emotion in their music.

Most of the rappers you named might have their own way of doing it, but they regurgitate the same thing in every song. What's different from song A and B? That's not a good rapper.

Beats are important, but Nas made people love him over forgettable production. Rap was started around the emcee, not the producer. Lyrics is what was supposed to separate rap from other forms of music. You might as well listen to instrumentals.

^^^Illmatic is what made people love Nas. His production became hit or miss as his career progressed. But the music that people love from Nas, coincidingly has its best production

Illmatic might just be the best hip hop album ever produced...The production on there was Flawless. If Illmatic had lackluster production...Nas wouldn't be who he is today.

Production and Rapping goes hand in hand. You want lyrics...you might as well lysten to a acapella freestyle all day.

See how I just did that [emoji]128521[/emoji].

Last edited:
But ALC has worked with some BUMS over the course of his career

I'm lookin at you Agallah...I didn't forget about that cookie monster **** :smh:

Future and alc would be able to create some fire together too, it's easy to see why people think future can only do trap rap but unlike a lot of these dudes in that lane music isn't simply a quick hustle for him. this dude has been studying and working on his craft for at least 10-15 years. He's a pretty diverse artist & has shown an ability to work over several different sounds, so with alc actually being a real producer (not a beatmaker) i'm 100% sure they would cook up some fire.

Don't need Future over them dusty *** beats just let Metro Boomin executive produce a project where he works exclusively with Zay and Organized Noize

This is why rap trash now

Zero respect for its legends

You can respect someone's contributions and still say that musically it sounds trash in 2016. At least in my opinion.

Never said I didn't respect Alc's contributions I'm just not tryna hear that **** man we in the future.

You about to go ball in some Chuck Taylor's just because Wilt Chamberlain did?

No you gonna respect what it was for that era and go pull out some KD's/LeBrons/Kobes/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom