RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Neither YG or Jay Rock are very lyrical, original and are pretty mediocre

Troy is making better music than 50.

and when you listen to the numerous dudes doing Migos or Future do you feel the same way?

There's a totally different standard when you're a New York rapper that no other region has.
YG debut is a CLASSIC.
Jay Rock debut is exceptional.

Better than ANYthing to come out of NY by anyone in the last 2-3 generations of NY rappers.

A record like Jay Rock's "Just Like Me" is more relatable to me then something by Troy Ave. I live in Flatbush, it's a gang war out here, young Ns out here playing spot'em got'em in broad daylight. I been to prison and all, so for Troy Ave to be talking that drug **** is no difference to what Rick Ross does, cause he's not from that lifestyle AT ALL. And overall he lacks talent. Not that YG is the lyricist of the year, but he makes VERY good music, Troy doesn't.

LA has standards as well, there has been a lot of great music out of the region, they just don't have the mentality that we have in NY. Where we wouldn't support a N sellin his music independently but we'll spend our money with people that HATE us, then call brothas in the south "slow".

The whole TDE movement is from independence. YG/Mustard/Ty Dolla is from independence. Problem & Bad Lucc independence. Dom Kennedy independence.

If ANYthing other regions have higher standards than NY. We can be smart when we write these advanced rhymes but become children when it comes to aligning ourselves with devils that control our art and it's direction and that's been the case with NY hip-hop since the first record was pressed. And for some reason we still ain't learn.

A lot of people don't realize most of the biggest artists right now. Have heavy east influence/style / flow / rhyme patterns./beat selection.

Kanye ,Wayne,Drake,The Game,Rick Ross , J Cole.Kendrick.Royce,2 chainz, Big Sean etc

All these guys are East Coast rappers, but happen to be from other regions and mix in local sounds on their albums.

Last edited:
Nope. I was saying that regardless of his really good hustle, as an artist, he's just not very good. I can't say the same for YG and Jay Rock, especially Jay Rock. I can listen to YG and Jay Rock and both get a feel of who they are as individuals and who they are influenced by. When I listen to Troy Ave, I feel like I'm listening to karaoke of 50 and Max B songs.

Neither YG or Jay Rock are very lyrical, original and are pretty mediocre

Troy is making better music than 50.

and when you listen to the numerous dudes doing Migos or Future do you feel the same way?

There's a totally different standard when you're a New York rapper that no other region has.

I didn't know Migos and Future were bringing Atlanta back like Troy Ave is supposedly bringing NY back. Also, no one thinks Future nor Migos are any type of lyrical heavyweights.

Not sure how you can say Jay Rock is mediocre, but I'll give you YG, even though he had a standout surprising debut.

Everything about Troy Ave reeks of mediocrity. But comparison, he's the Pill of NY, a Pill that happens to know how to grind and not sit back. You say he makes better music then 50, but 50 has been making mediocre music since 2010, so that's not much to write home about.

There's a different standard for NY music that you're right about. Unfortunately, that's an old standard that they haven't even been living up to. A bunch of their artists coming out (most notably Troy Ave) are basically the ancillary Brick Squad members.

I never said Troy Ave was a good rapper or released a classic though. He is what he is. Entertainment. Not everyone has to be Nas.

And what is all this Independence you speak of when they are on majors? Jay Rock took how long to come out with an album. Why? If they were independent as you claim they would be putting out projects every year or when they wanted to.

And no, other regions don't have higher standards. We're beyond that in rap now. In the south you can be Phonte or Jay Electronica. But in New York, you can't be like anyone from another region.

A lot of people don't realize most of the biggest artists right now. Have heavy east influence/style / flow / rhyme patterns./beat selection.

Wayne,Drake,The Game,Rick Ross , J Cole.Kendrick.Royce etc

All these guys are East Coast rappers, but happen to be from other regions and mix in local sounds on their albums.

And all of them are allowed to just rap and not told you're trying to be like you're from New York or you're too lyrical.

There's a big double standard when it comes to New York rappers.

How many Future clones do you have? It's practically it's own genre now. The time Fetty Wap(Jersey) does it. Why is he acting like Future. Meanwhile Ty $ and Kirko Bangz...nothing.

Kanye ,Wayne,Drake,The Game,Rick Ross , J Cole.Kendrick.Royce,2 chainz, Big Sean etc

All those guys are 80s and 70s babies, only 3 are under 30 NY was the dominant force in hip-hop, damn near 85% of hip-hop was coming out of NY at that point, so I don't really see that as being surprising, even though I don't necessarily agree with the statement 100% but I do see some of what you're saying. But as far as subject matter is concerned I would say the majority of them were more influenced by the west.

I never said Troy Ave was a good rapper or released a classic though. He is what he is. Entertainment. Not everyone has to be Nas.

And what is all this Independence you speak of when they are on majors? Jay Rock took how long to come out with an album. Why? If they were independent as you claim they would be putting out projects every year or when they wanted to.

And no, other regions don't have higher standards. We're beyond that in rap now. In the south you can be Phonte or Jay Electronica. But in New York, you can't be like anyone from another region.
And all of them are allowed to just rap and not told you're trying to be like you're from New York or you're too lyrical.

There's a big double standard when it comes to New York rappers.

How many Future clones do you have? It's practically it's own genre now. The time Fetty Wap(Jersey) does it. Why is he acting like Future. Meanwhile Ty $ and Kirko Bangz...nothing.
You're doubting the validity of TDE's independence? Kendrick and Q have situations with Interscope but Rock is independent, so because he took 4 years to drop his sophomore album that doesn't mean the fact remains? He explained it on Breakfast Club, he was dealing with REAL life.

Where are the NY independent acts making noise?

As far as this regional double standard does Action not sound like Ghost? Did Wu not sound like the UMCs? Was NaS not a Rakim x G Rap hybrid? Kane DNA is all over Jay. So it's not even an originality thing, it's actually being good.

You're judging Rock and YG on a Ras Kass or Cube standard but you want Troy Ave to be graded on a curve? But you not giving BETTER artists from more competitive regions that same benefit.

Other regions have standards they just base it on actual MUSIC and not solely lyrical ability. That's what NY has always based it's greatness on but it's STILL MUSIC, and not a poetry slam. It's a culmination of elements that play a factor and for years we've been focused on one

Joey Badass isn't making noise? He sold more than Ab or Jay Rock. Without a crew to usher him in.

Saying TDE is indie is like saying Wu Tang is indie. All of them are under majors.

I don't think YG or Jay Rock are better artist. Schoolboy or Ab, yeah, them, no. And all of them are given the leeway to not be lyrical, copy other people, take on other sounds or be their own person, unlike New York rappers. Someone will say French isn't lyrical, but then will be in to Boosie. So it's obvious they're trying to say he's not lyrical for a New York rapper, because it's not like lyricism is a requirement for them to like a rapper. That's what I'm saying. And that's the umbrella New York rappers fall under.

Ask someone why they like Boosie, are you going to get lyrics? or do you just like them or feel their music?

Last edited:
Joey Badass isn't making noise? He sold more than Ab or Jay Rock. Without a crew to usher him in.

Saying TDE is indie is like saying Wu Tang is indie. All of them are under majors.

I don't think YG or Jay Rock are better artist. Schoolboy or Ab, yeah, them, no. And all of them are given the leeway to not be lyrical, copy other people, take on other sounds or be their own person, unlike New York rappers. Someone will say French isn't lyrical, but then will be in to Boosie. So it's obvious they're trying to say he's not lyrical for a New York rapper, because it's not like lyricism is a requirement for them to like a rapper. That's what I'm saying. And that's the umbrella New York rappers fall under.

Ask someone why they like Boosie, are you going to get lyrics? or do you just like them or feel their music?
Joey has a crew, Pro Era. And he's signed to Cinematic. That's an outside source. TDE is from the dirt, Top signed them dudes from the very beginning where as Joey aligned himself with Cinematic.

YG made a better album than Q and Soul. Soul is more lyrically talented but hip hop is MUSIC, and YG made a better product. Q is a drug addict and his album reflects the randomness of his thought process, which ranged from genius to ******. Jay Rock has been the 2nd best artist out of TDE, he may not be as entertaining as Q or as lyrically gifted as Soul but his music thus far has been better. He's just flown under he radar.

French is garbage no matter where he's from. The Bronx stopped contributing to hip-hop the day Pun passed. South Dakota will produce a great MC before the Bronx does.

Boosie is the down south Pac, I'm personally not into his music but I've heard things I feel. Just coming from the life I live, it's more relatable to me then French and his Forest Gump brand of rap. Boosie is much more talented than French and he's takin his art further without 10 cosigns. French Montana will not be remembered in the grand scheme of hip-hop, and since the south will probably author the last 20 years, Boosie will most definitely be in there. And his music will last much longer then nonsense like "I Aint Worried Bout Nothin".

Joey has a crew, Pro Era. And he's signed to Cinematic. That's an outside source. TDE is from the dirt, Top signed them dudes from the very beginning where as Joey aligned himself with Cinematic.

YG made a better album than Q and Soul. Soul is more lyrically talented but hip hop is MUSIC, and YG made a better product. Q is a drug addict and his album reflects the randomness of his thought process, which ranged from genius to ******. Jay Rock has been the 2nd best artist out of TDE, he may not be as entertaining as Q or as lyrically gifted as Soul but his music thus far has been better. He's just flown under he radar.

French is garbage no matter where he's from. The Bronx stopped contributing to hip-hop the day Pun passed. South Dakota will produce a great MC before the Bronx does.

Boosie is the down south Pac, I'm personally not into his music but I've heard things I feel. Just coming from the life I live, it's more relatable to me then French and his Forest Gump brand of rap. Boosie is much more talented than French and he's takin his art further without 10 cosigns. French Montana will not be remembered in the grand scheme of hip-hop, and since the south will probably author the last 20 years, Boosie will most definitely be in there. And his music will last much longer then nonsense like "I Aint Worried Bout Nothin".

:lol: @ the tone of this post

The days of NY running rap are over, which isn't a bad thing. Hip Hop is universal and every region has a stake in the game.

Does Memphis run the Blues game anymore?

Does New Orleans run the Jazz game?

Does Nashville run the Country game?

Once an art form becomes part of the mainstream society, it will be very difficult for one region to monopolize the talent.

I was born and bred on NY style hip hop, going back to LL and Run DMC. But I appreciate the diversity of the art form, not wishing that NY still had a lock on it.

Never thought I'd see the day where someone from NYC displays self hatred. Wow

You over here calling Yg's album a classic while annointing boosie the pac of the south meanwhile totally disrespecting french and the awesome **** he put out alongside Max b. All the guys with potential from NYC over the past 10 years have either died or have been locked up. That's basically it

Anyone doubting my lack of talent theory enter this thread and watch 5 videos without throwing up.

http://niketalk.com/t/636993/nyc-underground-gangsta-music-scene#post_24294661

As far as Jazz and Blues those genres have been more or less completely bleached.

Nashville is still relevant to country music, to the point the best selling artist if this generation of country (if you will) Taylor Swift moved there to persue her career at like 16. And the south has a presence in country, it's named after the region. The east has pretty much no presence, and NY is the biggest market in the country if I'm not mistaken. None of the 3 aforementioned areas can claim that. But I do see what you mean.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd see the day where someone from NYC displays self hatred. Wow

You over here calling Yg's album a classic while annointing boosie the pac of the south meanwhile totally disrespecting french and the awesome **** he put out alongside Max b. All the guys with potential from NYC over the past 10 years have either died or have been locked up. That's basically it
Max B been in prison for how long? I'm supposed to respect French for music he was featured on how many years ago?

Y'all on some divide and conquer ****, give YG his props. Give Boosie his props. Cause they not from NY?

Ice Cube talked about this in the 90s

2 rappers died (Big L is from NaS/BIG/Jay-Z generation).
And Max B went to jail.

NY will hate on Future, Fetty, Kirko but salute Max B? FOH.

And pardon me for holding OUR city to quality standards. Let's salute French cause he's talentless and from the BX

French's mixtapes and stuff with Max B was always good. Pretty much what I want to hear from up there that's a fresh spin on that old sound.

Max B been in prison for how long? I'm supposed to respect French for music he was featured on how many years ago?

Y'all on some divide and conquer ****, give YG his props. Give Boosie his props. Cause they not from NY?

Ice Cube talked about this in the 90s

2 rappers died (Big L is from NaS/BIG/Jay-Z generation).
And Max B went to jail.

NY will hate on Future, Fetty, Kirko but salute Max B? FOH.

And pardon me for holding OUR city to quality standards. Let's salute French cause he's talentless and from the BX

Got damn bro u generalize like a ************ :lol: you have no idea who I like or listen to I just feel like your putting other artist from different regions on a pedestal and putting NYC artist down. The **** has boosie done since he got out of jail? But let's forget the classic stuff max and French dropped and praise boosie pac's music from the mid 2000's doesn't seem fair to me.

Got damn bro u generalize like a ************ :lol: you have no idea who I like or listen to I just feel like your putting other artist from different regions on a pedestal and putting NYC artist down. The **** has boosie done since he got out of jail? But let's forget the classic stuff max and French dropped and praise boosie pac's music from the mid 2000's doesn't seem fair to me.

Wouldn't French making C grade down south music qualify as "self hatred" as well?

No one is holding on to Max B x French **** other than NTers and maybe 7 or 8 other people. Max B was a local singer that occasionally rapped. His career span was a couple months.

Boosie dropped a critically acclaimed album. What has Max B done? What has French done? Dropped a GOD awful album with features on EVERY song, including Max B. Still hasn't mastered the English language. If Max was free he wouldn't be doing **** but ghostwriting hooks for French until he eventually cut him off and they start beefin.

Anyone under tha age of 40 from NY doin ANYthing worth mentioning?

You ask what has Boosie done, then bring up the **** French and Max did damn near a decade ago. Come on dawg :lol:

Boosie is a feel good artist, he makes **** everyday people can listen to and feel. This man was in jail for FIVE years and people played his old albums and mixtapes like they just had dropped. Outside of maybe Gucci and Jeezy, he's the next most influential artist in the south.

Back
Top Bottom