RIP to "da hood" ? educated young adults moving back to the inter city

they move to the suburbs. been happening like cray in dc 

it still blows my mind seeing how fast the development happened in the Noma portion of the district. when i lived in the city for school there wasnt much there, now its like 5 straight blocks of big *** office buildings and luxury apartments, with rents going for $2500+ :x

Just look around Nats Park...

This is a solid thing for some of these cities. When I was born (in DC), too much blood. Glad it's cleaned up.

They been doin this for years, no big mystery. They're in the process of revitalizing the East Liberty/Garfield area in Pittsburgh right now, $90k+ condos next to a boarded up KFC

Da inner city is growing because more people realize that da inner city resembles South Beach.

This is a solid thing for some of these cities. When I was born (in DC), too much blood. Glad it's cleaned up.
H street/atlas district too. its going to be interesting to see what happens with the street car lines they are putting in on benning road. 

H street/atlas district too. its going to be interesting to see what happens with the street car lines they are putting in on benning road. 

:smh: PG county is only going to get worse.
'
Its like they're just building condo's EVERYWHERE in DC and Arlington.

mean.gif
PG county is only going to get worse.
'
Its like they're just building condo's EVERYWHERE in DC and Arlington.
id say yes and no on the PG county thing. Western PG county will be booming with the addition of the purple and is going to bring it a lot of development, even though that wont be finished for another 10 years or so. its supposed to run from Lanham to Bethesda so you will have people living in those areas. the East West highway and university blvd PG sections are going to see a lot of new projects, especially Langley Park where i think the main hub is going to be built. 

also look at all the development going on in downtown College Park/route 1 section what is going on with the Art District in hyattsville. PG Plaza is being built up too. 

Mt Rainier wants to develop their little downtown area too

http://www.cnu.org/resources/projects/mount-rainier-mixed-use-town-center-development-plan-2012

Western PG county is seeing lots of development. i dont know too much about the southern portions of PG county but i think that is one of the places where people displaced by the District's gentrification will move to. 

Last edited:
Gentrification will be a problem when "they" can't afford their expensive apartments/condos anymore. It's all good right now.

It's also becoming more like europe.

In Europe (west europe specifically) the vast majority of cities have their hoods and ghettos on the outskirts of the city.

In Paris and Geneva they call their suburbs Banlieues which are usually lower middle and low income housing and filled with immigrants.

Usually large apartment complexes instead of houses.

I see it....I see it.

Gentrification will be a problem when "they" can't afford their expensive apartments/condos anymore. It's all good right now.
they just move on ala all da hipsters that got priced outta soho and got pushed to williamsburg..now that hood cost too much to they're going to greenpoint

and parts of bedstuy...

They been doin this for years, no big mystery. They're in the process of revitalizing the East Liberty/Garfield area in Pittsburgh right now, $90k+ condos next to a boarded up KFC
Those green screen looking glass lofts. They're actually 230k, and just a couple blocks down the street from penn aiken dairy 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Gentrification going strong in east lib for 5-10 years now.

they just move on ala all da hipsters that got priced outta soho and got pushed to williamsburg..now that hood cost too much to they're going to greenpoint

and parts of bedstuy...
And into East Flatbush/Lefferts......
frown.gif

I hate it.  The hospital in my dad's neighborhood is bringing in lots of residents.  They used to leave but now they're staying.  Landlords using every dirty trick in the book or waiting for people to slip up to get their black and hispanic tenants out in favor of these new white and asian people.
The culture of the neighborhood was firmly west indian and now its shifting.  J'ouvert not even the same any more.  labor day get shut down in one day, parties don't go all night like it used to.
saddening.
just because they don't share your culture doesn't mean your new neighbors are devoid of culture. .

I find the whole "keep gentrifiers out" attitude pretty ridiculous. It's similar to the whole anti-immigration sentiment just at a smaller scale.

I hate it.  The hospital in my dad's neighborhood is bringing in lots of residents.  They used to leave but now they're staying.  Landlords using every dirty trick in the book or waiting for people to slip up to get their black and hispanic tenants out in favor of these new white and asian people.
The culture of the neighborhood was firmly west indian and now its shifting.  J'ouvert not even the same any more.  labor day get shut down in one day, parties don't go all night like it used to.
saddening.
just because they don't share your culture doesn't mean your new neighbors are devoid of culture. .

I find the whole "keep gentrifiers out" attitude pretty ridiculous. It's similar to the whole anti-immigration sentiment just at a smaller scale.
You're right, it's not devoid of culture.

It's becoming devoid of MY culture.

Being selfish here but I can't help the feeling.

Ive seen this in my city. All of the urban areas that were part of my childhood have slowly transitioned to "up and coming" areas. It's nice to see the areas turn around, but sad to see the housing projects that you have so many great memories in just vanish. I'm a fan of green space, quiet nights, and value for my dollars, so I'll always live in the suburbs. A 10 minute drive to the action is worth the cost of living savings.

Back
Top Bottom