RIP to "da hood" ? educated young adults moving back to the inter city

For a city championed for the culture and diversity of its residents, San Francisco has become shockingly homogenous.

Last edited:
Living in the suburbs with close proximity to the city>>>

I live 15 mins from DC, but im looking outside to the woods with deer, foxes, raccoons and ****. Silence.

I live 15 mins from DC, but im looking outside to the woods with deer, foxes, raccoons and ****. Silence.
thats the best situation imo...find a nice spot right outside the city where you have access to everything, but still have your space, quiet, and not having to worry about police and dumb **** going on on every corner :pimp:

how do these areas crumble when property values skyrocket? when an area is deemed "up and coming," rent and housing exponentially rise.

if you mean crumble in terms of culturally and in terms of character, i completely agree. its sad seeing small, local business replaced with larger, and often more expensive corporate brands.

however, its not just a taste of saying they lived somewhere, cities are much more convenient to live in and young people are realizing that. also, many of these people aren't having kids or if they do, they ARE staying.

until suburbs move away from these antiquated, sprawled out, car-centric models that are the norm, younger people will continue to flock to urban areas.

Another thing that needs to happen is employers truly embracing work from home or regional work centers employees can go to. in the DC area, I would bet that most people who commute from outside the beltway do not need to report into their DC based office 5 days per week.

Arizona follows the California system of suburbs. Most people live in some type of suburb. I live ten minutes away from Tucson, but you couldn't tell because Pima County is just a continuation of the city.

For a city championed for the culture and diversity of its residents, San Francisco has become shockingly homogenous.
this is a perfect way to describe it! lol
I was listening to NPR the other day and they had a latino artist talk about the Mission and he recited a poem about the mission to retain the mission which was the mission, or something like that. Either way, he's very well aware of what gentrification is doing to a culturally rich street like Mission and it's surrounding street. I mean, Valencia is almost a different street.
I'm not trying to justify crime in the city as a way for culture to stay and gentrification being a bad thing, but it kind is since crime and encounters with the hispanic culture is what made mission what it was. Its so weird to go on mission now a days. It's a different street and there is very little hispanic influence on it anymore. Almost all the new restaurants are a spin off a hispanic one that was in the street and stuff. I'm confused on how I should feel about a culturally rich street being changed and most of it's culture being driven out. the paradox...

it's kinda hard to accept gentrification of a place you felt at home at. I honestly loved Mission st because it reminded me so much of my mother land and the struggles of Latino-americans plastered on the walls and stuff made me love it even more. You had all sorts of latinos walking on the street and different latino restaurants sharing culture. But now, it feels different, i feel like an outsider when I felt like I was a part of life in the area. It's the same feeling I get when I go visit my family. Everything is so different, it makes me feel alienated... For me, La Mission signified the clash of a culture with the american system. Its hard to let go of some memories...

Last edited:
What kind of "hood" do you live in where houses get sold for 1.6 mill lol

That really aint far fetched... I live in the BX and a house around my spot just sold for 1.2 and although this block ain't as bas as others it damn sure is still considered hood.

Did blacks get priced out of SF and moved to Oakland or what? Or have they never really had a presence in SF? Even though there is a huge property value difference, there is rent control, so that's how folks like ninjahood are living in manhattan still since their families have been there for decades.  I never understood how SF could be so White and Asian and Oakland could be so Black, when they're separated by just a bridge.

Last edited:
Did blacks get priced out of SF and moved to Oakland or what? Or have they never really had a presence in SF? Even though there is a huge property value difference, there is rent control, so that's how folks like ninjahood are living in manhattan still since their families have been there for decades.  I never understood how SF could be so White and Asian and Oakland could be so Black, when they're separated by just a bridge.

In the 60's the housing associations wouldnt make cetain areas available to minorities. They only offered the most depleated part of the city to these individuals creating ghettos. Just like how blacks and Latino's were not allowed to live in some parts of LA, they were forced to live in area with poor housing plumbing etc like East LA and Watts. 

In addition back when the country was more industrial every major city had a "little brother city" where they would have a lot of their factories and their waste plants. Many african amercians would live in these cities because they could work in these factories. Then when the factories left the Major city would still be doing well while the "little brother city" quickly went down hill and were really unhealthy to live in. St Louis had East St Louis, Detroit had Flint, New York had Camden, LA had Compton and SF had Oakland.  

Lower income residents have to move somewhere when they are forced out of their communities(I use that term loosely)so just imagine what your surround suburban area's look like now and in 10yr or so imagine them looking like certain parts of the inner city because that's what's going to happen.

This isn't anything new,it's something that gets repeated at least twice in ones life time.

They purposely let the value of a community go down,come back a few years later by up property at it's lowest price built on to that and sell/rent high.Remember Ferris from boyz n the hood spole on it in the movie but it probably went unnoticed because of the main storyline but it's no joke.

If it's happening in your neck of the woods and you have a few stacks laying around,invest it into purchasing land or houses and just sit and wait for the offers to come in.If things are going to change why not let some brothers or sisters(black or brown) of the community profit from it?it should be that way but it isn't most times.

In the 60's the housing associations wouldnt make cetain areas available to minorities. They only offered the most depleated part of the city to these individuals creating ghettos. Just like how blacks and Latino's were not allowed to live in some parts of LA, they were forced to live in area with poor housing plumbing etc like East LA and Watts. 

In addition back when the country was more industrial every major city had a "little brother city" where they would have a lot of their factories and their waste plants. Many african amercians would live in these cities because they could work in these factories. Then when the factories left the Major city would still be doing well while the "little brother city" quickly went down hill and were really unhealthy to live in. St Louis had East St Louis, Detroit had Flint, New York had Camden, LA had Compton and SF had Oakland.  
Camden is in South jersey right across the bridge from Philly, not NY...and Oakland always did its own thing, i wouldn't call it a little brother city to SF..same with Flint, it had its own auto making industry separate from Detroit.

but aint places like Culver City, Santa Monica, etc in LA the city? or whats happenin
It's like the Bay Area (which is short for San Francisco Bay Area) which has multiple cities other than SF.

When people say LA, they're referring to LA County, which includes cities other than Los Angeles like Santa Monica, Culver City, etc.
i thought so, like when people really be from Farmington Hills but say they from Detroit when theyre out of town

only problem with that is Flint aint close to Detroit at all. . . . Ann Arbor is closer to Detroit than Flint

only problem with that is Flint aint close to Detroit at all. . . . Ann Arbor is closer to Detroit than Flint

Ann Arbor didn't do as much auto-manufacturing as Flint though.

Ann Arbor didn't do as much auto-manufacturing as Flint though.
Ann Arbor isn't close to Detroit either tho (which was my point)

i thought the whole point of a "little brother city" was that it had to be close and was like a step down from the main city

Detroit has no little brother city

You not far from me bruh. I used to stay on 10th ave in East Lil Havana but I HAD to get up outta there, now I'm on 22 ave near Flagler, still "candela" as they say but ain't gotta worry about no stray fi'e or nothing
laugh.gif
i still visit lil havana , they got the best fritas and pan con bisteq 
pimp.gif

The amount of "educated young adults" taking over Harlem and Brooklyn, they getting people tf outta there

Columbia university commandeerd property so

They gonna have a campus right next to da projects

In manhattanville aka west harlem.

Harlem and Brooklyn shrinking :pimp:

Bronx will always be a hell hole tho, there isn't any saving the Bronx. That's Iraq.

Nah harlem is too big too shirnk, white folks are only

Expanding da borders of da upper east side, and

Where ever columbia's tentacles reach. lenox, cayton

Powell, broadway, madison, 1st ave, etc still firmly

Hood above 110 street.

White people cant sustain gentrification without

businesses supporting them because kets keep it

Funky, in NYC if its not wildly overpriced or a big box

Retailer, they dont support it...look at fordham road

Or fulton street mall in brooklyn..barely any stores

That cator to em so their presence is muted to non

Existent.