Road to a healthier heart and brain?

Making the body healthier? Over this weekend I saw that one of my friends friend passed away from playing basketball. The reason was due to his heart giving out, which then made me think, are there ways to make my heart healthier so that it's more prepared for vigorous activities? I did some google research and it stated that aerobics helped, but I want so more light shed on this. Along with things for a healthier brain function, since things like dementia at an old age honestly worry me. I'm 17, 5'7, and weigh 120 pounds. I'm right now trying to eat as much as I can to bulk up a bit, but want to do it in a way where I'm helping my heart and brain, not hurting it. Any help is appreciated.

Cut out uealthy junk and fill the void with healthy items.
Dinner usually consists of rice, beans, and assorted meats (pause) no red meat. With a side of lettuce and tomatoes, sometimes avocado. I've heard fish oil pills are good for the brain, anyone ever heard of pink mccoy fish pills?

unless that was his first physical activity in years, my guess is that he had something going on that wasn't as simple as "cut out the junk food"

balanced diet, moderation of "junk" food, and exercise - thats all you can do

unless that was his first physical activity in years, my guess is that he had something going on that wasn't as simple as "cut out the junk food"

balanced diet, moderation of "junk" food, and exercise - thats all you can do
I was thinking that too, maybe heat exhaustion played a factor (we're in Florida)...

I have this book called "better brain". Bought it from amazon because I had the same questions like you do.

It was mostly common sense stuff like cut out things that introduce toxins to your body.

But it did give you a test and based on the results it gave you a food and supplement regimen to take based on what tier you were.

For me I started introducing CoQ10 supplements and eating more antioxidant rich food to my diet.

I have this book called "better brain". Bought it from amazon because I had the same questions like you do.

It was mostly common sense stuff like cut out things that introduce toxins to your body.

But it did give you a test and based on the results it gave you a food and supplement regimen to take based on what tier you were.

For me I started introducing CoQ10 supplements and eating more antioxidant rich food to my diet.
I'll definitely look into it, thanks. Any more suggestions?

120 lbs? Jesus.

Go to GNC and cop some whey protein, use two scoops.

Making the body healthier? Over this weekend I saw that one of my friends friend passed away from playing basketball. The reason was due to his heart giving out, which then made me think, are there ways to make my heart healthier so that it's more prepared for vigorous activities? I did some google research and it stated that aerobics helped, but I want so more light shed on this. Along with things for a healthier brain function, since things like dementia at an old age honestly worry me. I'm 17, 5'7, and weigh 120 pounds. I'm right now trying to eat as much as I can to bulk up a bit, but want to do it in a way where I'm helping my heart and brain, not hurting it. Any help is appreciated.

god dam do you even eat? :x

A healthy diet is always important, the new wave in medicine is going to be the use of food as medicine in the future. Also, daily exercise and knowing your limit as to how much your body can handle at any given time is also crucial to staying healthy.

With that said, with cases where healthy people seem to just pass away during strenuous activity, it is usually something congenital. Maybe an enlarged heart, maybe something else, you won't know and the average citizen won't notice any symptoms until it's really too late.

I was shadowing my childhood Pediatrician when  a freshman at my alma mater passed away from conditioning for football season, it reminded me of your friend's case. Dude was only 14 and living a normal life that any kid would be living at that point.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/anaheim-520232-high-school.html

We talked about it and it just really opened my eyes to how important physicals are and how important it is to have a physician that is thorough and cares. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/s...d-heart-hartsville-high-school-south-carolina

there's plenty of stories out there with football players collapsing only to find out they had Cardiomegaly(enlarged heart) and that was the cause of death. 

Anyways, if you're really worried OP, just talk to your physician and see if you can get tests done to see if you have any congenital heart or brain defects. If not, just live a healthy lifestyle. Be conscious of your dietary choices, and be active but don't overexert yourself. 

Good luck with everything OP

if your friend that died was also 17, then it was most likely due to a heart condition he was born with even if it went undiagnosed. If you don't have a family history of something like that you shouldn't worry about that happening to you now, but it's best to start good habits now,  all you have to do is do cardio and eat better to help your heart. 

eat organic if you can and reduce your cholesterol intake. do about 20 mins or more of cardio a day. 

A healthy diet is always important, the new wave in medicine is going to be the use of food as medicine in the future. Also, daily exercise and knowing your limit as to how much your body can handle at any given time is also crucial to staying healthy.

With that said, with cases where healthy people seem to just pass away during strenuous activity, it is usually something congenital. Maybe an enlarged heart, maybe something else, you won't know and the average citizen won't notice any symptoms until it's really too late.

I was shadowing my childhood Pediatrician when  a freshman at my alma mater passed away from conditioning for football season, it reminded me of your friend's case. Dude was only 14 and living a normal life that any kid would be living at that point.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/anaheim-520232-high-school.html

We talked about it and it just really opened my eyes to how important physicals are and how important it is to have a physician that is thorough and cares. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/s...d-heart-hartsville-high-school-south-carolina

there's plenty of stories out there with football players collapsing only to find out they had Cardiomegaly(enlarged heart) and that was the cause of death. 

Anyways, if you're really worried OP, just talk to your physician and see if you can get tests done to see if you have any congenital heart or brain defects. If not, just live a healthy lifestyle. Be conscious of your dietary choices, and be active but don't overexert yourself. 

Good luck with everything OP

Yeah, I wanna schedule a physical with my physician since I haven't had one in a while. I'm sort of a health freak, and just need the satisfaction of knowing that my body is doing just fine. Never hurt to be to safe right? Thanks.

if your friend that died was also 17, then it was most likely due to a heart condition he was born with even if it went undiagnosed. If you don't have a family history of something like that you shouldn't worry about that happening to you now, but it's best to start good habits now,  all you have to do is do cardio and eat better to help your heart. 

eat organic if you can and reduce your cholesterol intake. do about 20 mins or more of cardio a day. 

My family doesn't suffer from any heart problems that I'm aware of, my great grandfather lived to be 100 years old. My grandma is pretty healthy for an 83 year old, my uncle is fine, so are my aunts. I'm going to start doing daily walks tomorrow, and jogging on the treadmill at the gym.

By the way, I eat like no tomorrow. Seriously if you look at the portions that I eat, it's a mystery as to how I'm so skinny...

Probably had an underlying heart issue, a poor diet at a young age isn't gonna kill you... Is it bad? Sure but to cause a heart attack alone? Nah

By the way, I eat like no tomorrow. Seriously if you look at the portions that I eat, it's a mystery as to how I'm so skinny...
There are a lot of idiotic responses in this thread. You are a skinny dude. That doesn't mean unhealthy. A lot of these same people would perceive you to be healthier at 130, when in fact you'd probably be way less healthy. In my late teens and early 20's I was about your weight. 5'7" 125. And I was fit as hell. Low cholesterol, low resting heart rate...my doctor said I was as fit as a fiddle. And I ate TONS. Now I'm 130, because I haven't been eating as healthy and my metabolism has slowed down some due to being somewhat less active. 

I know you're body type because it's mine. Just super high metabolism, can't gain weight now matter what. Don't get hung up on bulking up, embrace your body type and go from there.

Drop the beer..

I hate drinking with a passion, water and milk. :pimp:

There are a lot of idiotic responses in this thread. You are a skinny dude. That doesn't mean unhealthy. A lot of these same people would perceive you to be healthier at 130, when in fact you'd probably be way less healthy. In my late teens and early 20's I was about your weight. 5'7" 125. And I was fit as hell. Low cholesterol, low resting heart rate...my doctor said I was as fit as a fiddle. And I ate TONS. Now I'm 130, because I haven't been eating as healthy and my metabolism has slowed down some due to being somewhat less active. 

I know you're body type because it's mine. Just super high metabolism, can't gain weight now matter what. Don't get hung up on bulking up, embrace your body type and go from there.

I'm going to start doing daily walks, then jogging, along with calisthenics. I'm hoping to get a physical really soon, since I haven't visited the doctors in a while. I know when I'm older I'll be seeing my doctor every six months for check ups :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom