Rodriguez says some Michigan fans need to get a perspective on life

dacomeup

Supporter
Rodriguez says some Michigan fans need to get a perspective on life

Associated Press

Updated: November 18, 2008, 11:34 AM ET

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Rich Rodriguez loves to win -- and he hates to lose as much as anyone.

It's amazing some of the things that people would say [on a message board] or yell at you of a personal nature. You almost want to tell them, 'Get a life.'

-- Rich Rodriguez

Michigan's coach, though, tries to keep as much perspective as he can.

Rodriguez has his wife and kids around him after practices, at the team hotel and on bus trips to the stadium. His office door is always wide open, allowing visitors to say hello.

Heading into his first Michigan-Ohio State game -- where the Wolverines are expected to extend their dubious record with a ninth loss -- he tried to deliver a message to fans who have lost touch.

"It's amazing some of the things that people would say [on a message board] or yell at you of a personal nature," Rodriguez said Monday. "You almost want to tell them, 'Get a life.'

"There's a whole lot bigger problems. Look at the economy."

College football's winningest team has tumbled like the stock market, losing a school-record eight games and getting beat a Michigan Stadium-record five times at home.

For the first time since 1974, the Wolverines will be relegated to watching bowl games.

Big Ten blog

ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg writes about all things Big Ten in his conference blog.

• Blog network

The 10th-ranked Buckeyes are favored to beat their rivals on Saturday at home by 19 points, matching the largest spread in series history, and win at least a share of the Big Ten title for the fourth year in a row.

Ohio State has won four straight over the Wolverines, who seem to be days away from losing five straight in the series for the first time.

Rodriguez and some of his players were hesitant to acknowledge it, but ending a miserable season with an upset at Ohio State would salvage the year -- to some extent.

"The frustrations we've had or any disappointments we've had, a win would at least help a little bit," Rodriguez said. "But it's not going to erase everything, and it shouldn't erase everything.

"It's going to take a lot more time to get all of that salvaged."

In the meantime, the Wolverines are wholeheartedly embracing the spoilers' role against the Buckeyes.

"[If] we go down there and beat them, they have no chance to go to the Rose Bowl," senior safety Brandon Harrison said. "That's what we're playing for."

Michigan's challenge has been made more daunting by Rodriguez's injury update.

Rodriguez said he doubts quarterback Steven Threet will play because of a separated shoulder, leaving Nick Sheridan to start in the biggest game of his life just two years after making the team as a walk-on.

Freshman running back Sam McGuffie also might be out because of a death in his family, Rodriguez said.

Running back Brandon Minor insisted he will play in Michigan's finale after missing the previous game with rib and shoulder injuries.

"I've told the team, 'Not a lot of people are going to expect you to do well and win the game, but we expect [you] to do well," Rodriguez said. "It's a challenge, but we are capable of playing pretty good football. We just have not done it consistently.

"I know that sounds like coach-speak. But if we can play consistently like we have at times this year and get a few breaks in there, anything can happen."

roll.gif
My dude straight up OD'd on them. He brought up the economy and everything, I guess that is everyone's last resort to blame things on ordeflect attention tonow.
laugh.gif
But really I grew up loving Michigan because I hate OSU so much, so hopefully UM can go in and get the W on Saturday.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
He took this job knowing how passionate the fans are. They'd change the stop lights in Ann Arbor, to blue and maize if they had it their way. RR,here's a hanky.

I understand we were to have an off year. But we lost to freaking Toledo.. that is unacceptable!

How did this man ALREADY get a contract extension is beyond me.

i feel him though ... sometimes i question myself when im watching a cowboys game and get so frustrated lol ... but its only the cowboys for me so i givemyself a pass ... but even on campus at maryland you got kids crying when we lost and *$+% like +$! is wrong with you? its a college football game

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

COUGH*Newbs*COUGH
nerd.gif
roll.gif
I let him have it in the Cllege Football Thread. I will add a little onto it.

He seems to be having a little trouble adjusting to being slammed by the media after EVERY loss. Oh well. Get used to it. Fans have accepted some losses butnothing like this. A lot of the uninformed "fans" have accpeted the 9-3/8-4 seasons, but those days should have never come. Its been a long 10 monthsfor him. WVU fans bashing him all the time. A team with inexperienced and young players trying to adapt to a brand new offense. The Country Club atmosphere isnot here anymore.

Now he is paying the price for what Carr has done to this program. Mediocrity was fine with the Loveable Carr but with Rich Rodriguez and his wacky offense,nothing he can do will compare to Carr. Its sad but thats what it is gonna feel like to him. I wish he knew more about this before he made the move, but hemade his bed and he is gonna have to lay in it. He preaches that he wants tough minded, hard nosed players but then he is crying to people about the fans. Heneeds to cut it out. Word to Joey Gladstone.

I will take his 3-9 season this year and possibly a 7-5 season next year for the chance to see this football compete for National Championships.

Michigan is going to be fine.

Throwing the economy in there though is ehhhh...

And a lot of these coaches do have the vulchers circling them every minute of their lives.....but those same obsessive fans are the reason coaches like RichRodget to have multimillion dollar contracts and almost every perk available in life.

That's how it goes, he should have known that.

If he were undefeated and the whole town of Ann Arbor was ready to top him off at a moments notice he wouldn't be deflecting attention to the economy.

He had to know tough times would come, especially bringing such a different offense over. Stop whining.

It doesn't help that Michigan fans are one of the most spoiled fan groups in the world of college football and expect everything handed to them. Everyonewanted change and now we have and now ppl want it to back to how it was.

Originally Posted by jmause3

This dude really didn't know what he was getting into when he took this job
laugh.gif
he probably didn't think that he would have to use the economy to defend himself, that's for sure

Originally Posted by zs05wc

It doesn't help that Michigan fans are one of the most spoiled fan groups in the world of college football and expect everything handed to them. Everyone wanted change and now we have and now ppl want it to back to how it was.

one thing is, they still show up to games, paying for his salary..
roll.gif
Heneeds to watch what he says

most michigan fans need to get a perspective on football.

edit: just saw this
[h2]Sam McGuffie, Others Leaving Team[/h2]
By Brian - November 18th, 2008 at 1:52 PM - 78 comments

There will be significant attrition this offseason. The first to fall:
In today's weekly Big Ten teleconference, Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez said sophomore Zion Babb was no longer with the team. Rodriguez said the wide receiver hasn't been with the team since Sunday.

So… yeah. I was sitting on this until I had some outside confirmation and this serves as outside confirmation since three guys were mentioned as a group of players who had already made their decisions. The other two who have told the coaches they are out: sophomore LB/S Artis Chambers and Sam McGuffie.

EVERYBODY PANIC.

Okay. Done panicking? Some context for this information:

How solid is it? Very solid. Three sources very close to the situation.

How official is it? It is not official until it is official. Earlier this year I said freshman RB Mike Cox was transferring based on equally solid info, but Cox reversed course and decided to stick out the year. Until someone actually enrolls somewhere else there is always the chance for a reconciliation.

Is this the end of it? No. The rumors are flying fast and furious about a couple guys buried on the depth chart; I don't have confirmation on anyone else and at this point I think they're still on the fence.

Originally Posted by areyouin729

the Mich alum could have him bounced in a heartbeat
/thread. I think that comment will put him in the hot seat for next season. Ann Arbor isn't Morgantown. The people have high expectations anddeservedly so, they are used to winning. I think Rodriguez will quit if he knows he's going to get fired.

ddot:
roll.gif
You think he's going to Clemson?

O hail the michi...NOT
laugh.gif

Im so glad they are doing horrible this year. Having friends at michigan ftl all they do is brag about their football programs prestige
tired.gif

Originally Posted by swendro88

most michigan fans need to get a perspective on football.

edit: just saw this

Same way with most Texas A&M fans...

...people thinking we're some sort of former power
smh.gif
laugh.gif
We were good in a fairly mediocre Southwest Conference and these fans think we're some sortof powerhouse that's gotten screwed by bad coaches
laugh.gif

At least Michigan fans have a reason to expect better...

But
eek.gif
at McGuffie leaving...coming to A&M where he should have been all along?

If McGuffie is in fact leaving thats fine w/ me. While he did do a good job for us I'll be more than happy going w/ Minor, Brown, and Shaw (assumingthey stay healthy>D).

You can have that Mr Softee. I was never that sold on him. Had a good couple of games and that was nice but kid is barely gonna be able to hold 180lbs on hisframe. Also never showed that 4.3 speed they claimed he had. I was pissed when they made him their only priority at RB. That is typical Carr and Co. Iwasn't upset when Mallett left or Tubby Boren or anyone who has left. If they don't want to be here, good riddance. Rich will get the guys that want tobe here and I have no reason to think that they will not succeed as much as WVU did. Maybe Tavon Austin gets a look from Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom