Roy Hibberts post game interview...No Homo

"A real man shouldn't have to say no homo" -Jadakiss
laugh.gif

Or like when Andre said...

If you probably say real talk I probably won't trust ya.

Older white people in the media probably don't even know the context that the term is used in. Not really an anti-gay slur, a person is just saying they themselves are not gay. Should've just said pause or ayo and most of the media except for the ones who are hip to slang would've known the meaning.

What? This is moronic.
How? It's mostly young people who say "no homo". You think a lot of older people in the media hear that term being used or have ever used it themselves? You ask young people if it's something negative, most would say it's no big deal. I remember that Spike Lee interview that was posted a few pages back where he said "pause" and I didn't hear of anyone making an issue of it.

It really is in the same context as "pause", or "i didn't mean it that way", just the words could be offensive to a non familiar audience. I don't use it either way, don't really care.

Fine is steep but, he did it on purpose as the smirk on his face right after he said it demonstrates. However, its ridiculous and an infringement on freedom of speech in a sly way to fine him, and goes to show how much this culture is influenced by hip-hop. 

How? It's mostly young people who say "no homo". You think a lot of older people in the media hear that term being used or have ever used it themselves? You ask young people if it's something negative, most would say it's no big deal. I remember that Spike Lee interview that was posted a few pages back where he said "pause" and I didn't hear of anyone making an issue of it.

Doesn't matter...it's not used in a flattering way, therefore the term IS offensive to some. I couldn't care less what "young people" think about it.

Bottom line, it was immature of Hibbert to say it. Could have saved himself a headache by not saying it. I mean, what was the point? Are people THAT insecure?

I get why he got fined. Kobe got fined 100K for sayin the F word to an official DURING a game and someone basically just lip read a replay. Hibbert said it in a ECF press conference, basically infront of millions.

But what I find hilarious is that people really think he should be suspended. It was a dumb choice of words. But a suspension? Nah B.

And for those saying freedom of speech. That goes out the window when you get into business/employment. Especially a business like the NBA which is worldwide and has a lot of sponsors that they have to keep happy. You can say whatever you want obviously, but be prepared to be reprimanded if it rubs a group of people the wrong way. Especially a group of people as large as the GLBTG

Last edited:
It really is in the same context as "pause", or "i didn't mean it that way", just the words could be offensive to a non familiar audience.
Indeed.  Although Roy was going to fined regardless, he should have pushed back on his original statement and explained it just as you did above, instead of just caving in and apologizing overall. 
Doesn't matter...it's not used in a flattering way, therefore the term IS offensive to some
I wish that same attitude and fervor on your end would carry over into the debate over the name of your football champ.  Who knows, maybe some day we'll get there. 

Doesn't matter...it's not used in a flattering way, therefore the term IS offensive to some. I couldn't care less what "young people" think about it.

Bottom line, it was immature of Hibbert to say it. Could have saved himself a headache by not saying it. I mean, what was the point? Are people THAT insecure?
It's part of the vernacular. That's just how it is. If he was an nt'er he might've said No Amaechi.

It's 2013 b, you can't say "no homo" in a professional environment, it's not complex.

Last edited:
It's 2013 b, you can't say "no homo" in a professional environment, it's not complex.
Seemed like he was feeling himself too much after that win. He was hyped / geeked and letting the words flow freely. Should get advice from Rasheed Wallace on how to do good post game interviews.

it is what it is. he shouldnt have said it in that setting (or at all if you wanna go that far)

he got punished, lets hope they dont try to end his career for this.

Hibbert is a goofy clown. He instinctively said "no homo" wether to be funny or look cool in front of his teammates/friends. I knew he would get fined.

Only good thing out of this is if Chris Bosh takes it personally.

:lol

I think this how they pay the WNBA players salaries
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wait, so you get fined more for what you say after a game, than for what you do in a game (flop)?
That is an interesting viewpoint...one damages the perception of your players, the other damages the credibility of your game. The way the pro ball game is run and officiated deters me from watching it, and I know I'm not alone.
The NBA is a business and one that partners with several LGBT organizations, if you're surprised by Hibbert getting fined you shouldn't be. 

On a different note I've been wondering something for a couple of weeks now. In terms of offending groups of people with everyday language, what's the difference between no homo and that's ghetto.

?
Truth. It's all about the dollars here people...if they don't punish him, they "condone" what he said, and the sponsors will not like that. Gay is the hot social topic right now, to be on the wrong side of that discussion is bad for business.

It wasn't that serious in my estimation, but you had to expect this from a multibillion dollar corporation concerning comments made by a high-profile employee.

eek.gif
@ that's ghetto...slice it however you want, it evokes images of a standard of living common in neighborhoods that are predominantly black. From now on, I'm going to act offended as **** whenever somebody says that **** on some "how DARE you..." 
laugh.gif
Never thought about it that way, man.

...oh, and side note, we wonder why sports press conferences are so painfully boring, nobody's allowed to express any sentiment whatsoever on any subject. Truthfully, I don't see why they even have pre/post game interviews. The only thing that won't get you fined and controverted is "we won, yay" or "we lost and can do better". Riveting. Not saying this was a smart use of his 1 Rights, but this is just an opportunity to express my view on a wider issue in sports media coverage.

Last edited:
By saying "no homo," Roy basically said he'd rather be confused for a bigot than a homosexual. That's how this translates on paper. Maybe he said it flippantly, but words carry weight. I commend Roy for what appears to be a genuine apology. That's more than I can say for Kobe Bryant.

for emphasis it wasn't just because he said no homo. he also said 'mother ******" and that he didn't care if he got fined for it.

Back
Top Bottom