San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

San Francisco died in 2009. I just came back from a night out there and damn...Every time I go out there, I remember how much I hate the musty *** Midwestern hipsters, the dirty looking women that look like they haven't showered in days, the trash overpriced food, the trash hallway sized bars,the 5th world condition streets in one of the most expensive cities in the world (which are ALWAYS under construction but never repaired somehow) , etc...I still think the Bay Area overall is a nice place to live. All the things I mentioned can easily be avoided in other cities throughout the Bay. I just hate SF these days and try to avoid going there unless I'm catching a game at AT&T Park or bar hopping with friends that visit.

I don't care how many other people from SF tell me how other cities in the Bay are boring compared to SF. First of all, the US in general is boring compared to 90% of countries in Asia and Europe, and second of all, I'm fine with boring cities when they have good food and women, like the Korea Town in Santa Clara or the Vietnamese spots in SJ. The only part of San Francisco that has something similar is the Sunset, but then you'll have to settle for your home looking like something from a favela due to how outdated it is. Can't win out there.

Last edited:
^ I think you are just getting old my friend. :lol:

How much longer are you going to be in that club/bar scene. Aren't you 30+ now? :lol:

I still have fun out here. It just depends where you go and who you are with.

But just to entertain you, I was on the bus on the way to work downtown two days ago and sat next to this "midwestern chick", she was on the phone talking to whoever complaining about how her new roomate was wasting time trying to get to know their new neighbors because they were "old san franciscians" (as she called it). :lol:

I'm 27. It's not the bars/clubs that piss me off the most. I just can't stand the nasty, musty population that lives there now, the horrible reataurants, the gross looking women, the bums everywhere, etc. City is filled with hipster "foodies" that have never gone anywhere outside of SF for anything, so they're fine with trash white washed Asian and Mexican restaurants charging $11 for "rustic banh mi" or "chips and guac". Minorities are practically non existent when I go out there these days, so the whole "diverse city" is non existent now outside of the Sunset. Also, tell me how half the roads are always under contstruction yet are constantly @#$%? I had to pay $2000+ last year for car repairs after driving near Market Street for work due to potholes and uneven streets destroying my suspension and tires, which is inexcusable considering it's supposed to be a nice area.

Your example describes all the people that live in SF that I've been working with for the past 4 years. Can't stand them! The type that gets scared to go to Oakland even though its 2017 :lol:

The only place that is still nice to me is the Embarcadero when I go out for baseball games. that's about it.

SF is supposed to be a world class international city and has world class city costs, but it's a dump based on how much people pay to live there. It is nowhere
near the level of other expensive international cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, London, Amsterdam, etc. I have no idea how people are fine with the city's costs when public transportation,city streets, and care for the homeless are at third world standards. It's nice compared to most American cities, but that's not saying much at all :lol:

Last edited:
For some odd reason, I hate when well-to-do transplants walk bad neighborhoods like it's nothing(Fillmore, Golden Gate/Turk St., 3rd, the smaller streets in Mission/Exelsior

Last edited:
^our office/warehouse is in the mission and i see it everyday
you got these new condos and on the very same street tent city :x
middle class completely gone. minorities dwindling. art community pretty much been displaced

i'm starting to see a lot of places shut down, even in the downtown area. restaurants are closing up in union sq
leftys and kletos basically gone

For some odd reason, I hate when well-to-do transplants walk bad neighborhoods like it's nothing(Fillmore, Golden Gate/Turk St., 3rd, the smaller streets in Mission/Exelsior

it's funny cause they got their headphones on or head down on their phones like they arent going to get robbed :smh:

Last edited:
Right? Who the hell wants to live in luxury the Mission when there's tents everywhere and smells like piss and #@$@ 24/7? Makes no sense. That's like willingly paying to live on Skid Row in LA. I don't care about what any other SF native says aboUT that being part of the city life; that goes to show how trash the city is in providing help for the homeless and mentally ill. I pay the same for a luxury apartment in San Mateo and am in a great, clean neighborhood next to many of the best Japanese spots in the Bay Area instead of bums and "rustic Banh Mi". Transplants will never live here though because "omg, how do you live like 20 minutes from the Mission" (what a female coworker from Wyoming said to me the other day)

Last edited:
Right? Who the hell wants to live in luxury the Mission when there's tents everywhere and smells like piss and #@$@ 24/7? Makes no sense. I pay the same for a luxury apartmemt in San Mateo and am in a great neighborhood next to many of the best Japanese spots in the Bay Area instead of bums and "rustic Banh Mi"

there's ****/blood stains/needles on the street and the city does absolutely nothing. it's absolutely pathetic.
they've basically pushed the homeless folks to a few areas so downtown didn't look bad during the SB. sure, the city will have workers spray down the sidewalks, but they are right back at it the next day. no real solutions or attempt to solving homelessness, which has gotten infinitely worse.

all these expensive restaurants end up shutting down, only to have a new one up in a few months. the market is going to crash soon, valencia is going to be a ghost town. i feel bad for all the mom and pop shops and old san franciscans that were kicked out in recent yrs

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. There are no solutions to solve the homeless problem, but the "new San Franciscans" blend in with them so well that sometimes it's hard to tell who needs help and who doesn't.

You have no idea how much the lack of good restaurants annoys me. I haven't enjoyed a meal in SF in a loooong time :lol: San Jose, Santa Clara, Fremont, Sunnyvale, San Mateo restaurants>>>>>>>>>>>> expensive trash restaurants in the city. I don't mind paying extra if the food is actually good, but come on, all these new whitewashed Asian and Mexican spots everywhere are TRASH and get business from their location,trendy decor, and customers that have no taste buds

Last edited:
I've never felt comfortable in the south bay or peninsula. I always felt weird and insecure. Have no clue why. No matter how much it changes, I love San Francisco. It always has the seedy/underground life that I love. No matter who moves in and out, its grimy. I love that. NYC doesn't have that anymore.

Last edited:
Might as well move to a "third world" country then if you want seediness and grime. For the record, I've stayed and enjoyed my time in "3rd world" countries for months at a time, but I was paying less than $1000 total a month for rent, going out, transportation, and food while I was earning a Bay Area level income by working remotely. My tolerance level for griminess was A LOT higher :lol: However, I'm not cool with paying upscale city costs that are on level with a well kept city like Tokyo, yet I'm coming home to urine filled and torn up streets.

That's another thing I noticed; many native San Franciscans try to trick themselves into liking the conditions of the city due to their extreme bias. That's why the public transportation will always be trash, homelessness will always be an issue, etc. "It's just part of the city"

Last edited:
Saw this today. Points on the music industry and of course gentrification of the Bay.

G is an interesting cat. I grew up in the East Bay and know he was growing up fully invested in hyphy bay area culture. A benefit of the Bay (the east bay especially) is that we never had hard line neighborhood segregation like the early days of LA or NY. There was a lot more mingling around in our area.

But everything in the Bay is getting expensive. I mean sheesh places like Richmond and Pinole are getting whole foods & sprouts :lol: what a life

Might as well move to a "third world" country then if you want seediness and grime. For the record, I've stayed and enjoyed my time in "3rd world" countries for months at a time, but I was paying less than $1000 total a month for rent, going out, transportation, and food while I was earning a Bay Area level income by working remotely. My tolerance level for griminess was A LOT higher :lol: However, I'm not cool with paying upscale city costs that are on level with a well kept city like Tokyo, yet I'm coming home to urine filled and torn up streets.

That's another thing I noticed; many native San Franciscans try to trick themselves into liking the conditions of the city due to their extreme bias. That's why the public transportation will always be trash, homelessness will always be an issue, etc. "It's just part of the city"

the fact that the Tenderloin is just left to fester and rot a block away from union square it's incredible.

skid row ain't even that bad. I never seen city do what SF does with the will ignoring of the problem. Other cities don't got the money but what's their excuse?

Real **** the TL shocked my father and he was from Mogadishu :lol:

The TL might be the most disgusting and sketchy neighborhood in any major expensive city. It's extremely embarrassing. And yeah, what you said about the money is spot on. Like I said, I'd understand if SF was one of those cities that got "left behind" after manufacturing went away, like Detroit, but it's a major tech hub of the ENTIRE WORLD. There really is no excuse. Money is pouring but very little of it goes to help people that need it the most.

I'm an accountant, so one of my jobs at my old firm was to make sure all the different SF licenses and taxes for my clients got paid every quarter/year. It's laughable how much my clients had to pay in business taxes to the city. I was always thinking "where the hell is this money going???" :lol:

Last edited:
The TL might be the most disgusting and sketchy neighborhood in any major expensive city. It's extremely embarrassing. And yeah, what you said about the money is spot on. Like I said, I'd understand if SF was one of those cities that got "left behind" after manufacturing went away, like Detroit, but it's a major tech hub of the ENTIRE WORLD. There really is no excuse. Money is pouring but very little of it goes to help people that need it the most.

I'm an accountant, so one of my jobs at my old firm was to make sure all the different SF licenses and taxes for my clients got paid every quarter/year. It's laughable how much my clients had to pay in business taxes to the city. I was always thinking "where the hell is this money going???" :lol:

have a buddy from chicago and he says parts of TL at night are just as sketchy if not even grimier than some parts in the chi :x
working in a small business, we pay ridiculous taxes. where does all that money go to? :lol:
weren't tech companies that got tax breaks suppose to help fix up that area?

back in the days i had to make deliveries to a few of the non-profits near the Turk/Eddy area :x
it's crazy cause cops know what's going on, they tolerate it and sort of let them do it as long as it doesn't spill towards the downtown area/union sq
it's literally right next to city hall

Last edited:
^our office/warehouse is in the mission and i see it everyday
you got these new condos and on the very same street tent city :x
middle class completely gone. minorities dwindling. art community pretty much been displaced

i'm starting to see a lot of places shut down, even in the downtown area. restaurants are closing up in union sq
leftys and kletos basically gone
it's funny cause they got their headphones on or head down on their phones like they arent going to get robbed :smh:

Haha. I live in the Fillmore and I am I got my earphones on all the time. I am a minority though so I don't think I am a prime person to jack but it is a funny blend out here. The funniest is with State Bird Provisions which is a 5 starr restaurant. You have some real people with money coming out there and parking their nice cars and they have no idea what this area is and just look totally out of place when coming here. It is what it is out here now.

I don't think SF is as bad as it gets and even for how I blast it but this place really shouldn't be the price it is and that is what makes the city look bad. If this was all affordable spots, then you'd think the city is dope. But for the cost of living, you just don't get say a New York out of it.

sick.gif
this doesn't even compute for me. You better have some marble floors and a jacuzzi in that thing
Nah, bro. Not even.

Nah, bro. Not even.

I bet it don't even come with parking but I'm gonna guess it's been remodeled. Crazy thing is that it cost the same to live in TL.

The TL is changing tho. Not in the heart yet but everything around it is. Art galleries, nicer restaurants, and lounge/bars are opening on the edges of TL. Tech companies have helped clean up. Not necessarily the TL but look at mid-market(mostly 8th-11th). It still has a ways to go but it's come a long way. Even 6th and Market is changing. Again still bad but people wait in line for Dottie's everyday. I think some sort of mall is opening up on top of Popson's. There are also plans for a new development on Golden Gate and Jones. The problem with all this is it made the TL more crowded. All those people that used to hangout on mid-market are all being squeezed into TL. Plus the fact that a lot of the building are low-income protected, it's going to be a very slow process.

Last edited:
I paid $3,600 for a one bedroom in the Mission two years ago.

Santa Monica is now considered the most expensive city in the US I heard. Average is $4,800 for a one bedroom...

I bet it don't even come with parking but I'm gonna guess it's been remodeled. Crazy thing is that it cost the same to live in TL.

The TL is changing tho. Not in the heart yet but everything around it is. Art galleries, nicer restaurants, and lounge/bars are opening on the edges of TL. Tech companies have helped clean up. Not necessarily the TL but look at mid-market(mostly 8th-11th). It still has a ways to go but it's come a long way. Even 6th and Market is changing. Again still bad but people wait in line for Dottie's everyday. I think some sort of mall is opening up on top of Popson's. There are also plans for a new development on Golden Gate and Jones. The problem with all this is it made the TL more crowded. All those people that used to hangout on mid-market are all being squeezed into TL. Plus the fact that a lot of the building are low-income protected, it's going to be a very slow process.

The area in the TL that seems to be changing is where they call Lower Nob Hill. They have a bar called Redfords that took over a club and other spots like Elephant Sushi and even some new joint that I saw tons of people lining up for. The lower part of the TL is where it needs work. Civic Center area where Turtle Tower is getting better but people still linger all the time. I agree on the 6th and Market area but only near Market St. 6th is super sketch but there are some places opening up there that is just really confusing to me. I would still think it is a gamble to open a restaurant there.

PV, Venice and MDR are just below SM.

I don't pay $4,800 here in SM, so I was a bit confused with the news...

Back
Top Bottom