School Me NT Vol:External Hard Drives

i have a lacie but the cord that connects to the power outlet is really, really short

my only gripe about it really

i have a lacie but the cord that connects to the power outlet is really, really short

my only gripe about it really

For me Lacie hard drives have performed the best. I still haven't had one die on me and my oldest one is about 6 years old. I also have a four year old Iomega, which is really great. Western Digital is a good brand too. The prices of hard drives are real cheap now. You can get 1TB for under $100

For me Lacie hard drives have performed the best. I still haven't had one die on me and my oldest one is about 6 years old. I also have a four year old Iomega, which is really great. Western Digital is a good brand too. The prices of hard drives are real cheap now. You can get 1TB for under $100

u dont get the full size of the HD because its measured different... the HD is rated by how many bytes it holds... but on a comp a kilobyte is 1024 bytes instead of 1000... so u lose 24 bytes for every kilobyte... or somethin like that...

u dont get the full size of the HD because its measured different... the HD is rated by how many bytes it holds... but on a comp a kilobyte is 1024 bytes instead of 1000... so u lose 24 bytes for every kilobyte... or somethin like that...

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

If you going to put information in a hdd, iomegea is the only brand to look at. All of there external hdd enclosure is made out of steel or aluminium. Never plastic like WD or Seagate. Great if you have a Macbook with firewire or any laptop with firewire and you they also offer lifetime warranties on there products.

this man knoweth truth

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

If you going to put information in a hdd, iomegea is the only brand to look at. All of there external hdd enclosure is made out of steel or aluminium. Never plastic like WD or Seagate. Great if you have a Macbook with firewire or any laptop with firewire and you they also offer lifetime warranties on there products.

this man knoweth truth

Originally Posted by Hankzilla

After looking into all the suggestions you guys gave me.(Was about to cop a WD Mybook studio) I'm setting my sights on copping this HD. Looks good for what I need. Portable, doesn't get to hot, quiet, mac ready, FW800, and 5400rpm perfect for my macbook pro. What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Son, that is WAY too much to spend for only 500GB. Nearly any drive can be formatted for Macs, but it might require reading about 4 seconds of reading to format it to HFS+. If it's sold at the Apple store and not an Apple brand product, you're paying too much. ...Like that drive you posted. For 500GB, you should be spending between 60-70 bucks, but then you might as well spend 100 bucks and get 1TB. 

Originally Posted by Hankzilla

After looking into all the suggestions you guys gave me.(Was about to cop a WD Mybook studio) I'm setting my sights on copping this HD. Looks good for what I need. Portable, doesn't get to hot, quiet, mac ready, FW800, and 5400rpm perfect for my macbook pro. What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Son, that is WAY too much to spend for only 500GB. Nearly any drive can be formatted for Macs, but it might require reading about 4 seconds of reading to format it to HFS+. If it's sold at the Apple store and not an Apple brand product, you're paying too much. ...Like that drive you posted. For 500GB, you should be spending between 60-70 bucks, but then you might as well spend 100 bucks and get 1TB. 

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

I'd rather spend more money for reliablity/durablity because I'm going to need it for at least 2years plus this drive is made for mac users. I haven't been able to find any HDs that are in that price range that are dual interface. What eHD do you use?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

I'd rather spend more money for reliablity/durablity because I'm going to need it for at least 2years plus this drive is made for mac users. I haven't been able to find any HDs that are in that price range that are dual interface. What eHD do you use?

the new Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro can across PC and Mac and has a ton of different interfaces.

plus, it'll help my profit sharing for next year
smile.gif

the new Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro can across PC and Mac and has a ton of different interfaces.

plus, it'll help my profit sharing for next year
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dakid23

Jerry Hughes wrote:

Seegate is supposed to be top noch too.
I rock with the blue joint. I store all my pics and music on it
pimp.gif

at costco a 500GB is 90 bucks i think.

The price for 500gb or so has gone down a lot within the past 4 yrs, real talk. i paid 165 for 500GB desktop at costco back then, now look at how cheap they are. i'd suggest a portable HD. My girl has one and it makes the desktop one seem pointless, especially since the portable one is powered by the laptop and doesn't need a wall outlet. You would generally get the most space with desktop but that speaking in terms of TBs.

newegg.com
tigerdirect.com

use these sites to find great deals.

Originally Posted by dakid23

Jerry Hughes wrote:

Seegate is supposed to be top noch too.
I rock with the blue joint. I store all my pics and music on it
pimp.gif

at costco a 500GB is 90 bucks i think.

The price for 500gb or so has gone down a lot within the past 4 yrs, real talk. i paid 165 for 500GB desktop at costco back then, now look at how cheap they are. i'd suggest a portable HD. My girl has one and it makes the desktop one seem pointless, especially since the portable one is powered by the laptop and doesn't need a wall outlet. You would generally get the most space with desktop but that speaking in terms of TBs.

newegg.com
tigerdirect.com

use these sites to find great deals.

Back
Top Bottom